NYU

500 Montauk Hwy
West Islip, NY 11795
631-687-2229

Treated 2020
Dr. Pena is very easy to talk to and presents information very clearly...Because I have PCOS Dr. Pena was very careful to develop a protocol that would develop quality eggs while minimizing the risk of OHSS. He started me on a low dose of medications and adjusted my trigger shot (lupron instead of hcg) and timing of my retrieval in order to maximize our outcome while minimizing potential risk. He explained this entire rationale and we ended up with the results he planned for.
The entire staff [at RMA Long Island IVF] was wonderful. Jess and Alexis are both extremely knowledgable and so supportive during the difficult parts of IVF...The office manager, Peggy was always incredibly helpful and was always a friendly face and another source of support throughout this journey. I have never experienced medical care where I truly felt so strongly about how wonderful the entire staff was as I do here.
How was your experience with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Dr. Pena is an exceptional physician. He is very professional and provided information in a way that easy to understand. He is always available by phone and email. There were many times I have emailed Dr. Pena and received a phone call shortly after. He never made me feel like my many questions were too much and I never ended a conversation with Dr. Pena unclear on any information. I appreciate his direct manner and ability to convey difficult information in a very matter of fact yet sensitive way. Most importantly, Dr. Pena is incredible at what he does. There were many times in our journey where it would have been easy to lose hope but I truly trusted Dr. Pena and his process. I am fortunate enough to be pregnant now and it is a direct result of the care I received from Dr. Pena.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr. Pena is very easy to talk to and presents information very clearly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Dr. Pena is a wonderful physician and treats every patient like they are his top priority. I have sent many emails to Dr. Pena, to which he responded to via phone almost immediately-even while he was on vacation. He explains everything thoroughly and takes every questioned asked seriously, making the patient feel respected. Dr. Pena made the entire process feel like a partnership, always providing all of the information and medical background, while still including the patient in decisions.
Describe the protocols Joseph Pena used in your cycles at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF) and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexis )
The entire staff was wonderful. Jess and Alexis are both extremely knowledgable and so supportive during the difficult parts of IVF. They were both always available by phone or email and presented information very clearly. They were always careful to be direct, yet warm, which was much appreciated. I felt very fortunate to have such a strong team around me throughout my treatment. I always felt like I was in good hands with both nurses and I am very thankful for not only their medical care, but also for their support.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The entire clinic is a well oiled machine. The med techs are all great and become part of your journey. I need to lie down for blood work and I was never made to feel like I was inconveniencing anyone despite a busy practice. The office manager, Peggy was always incredibly helpful and was always a friendly face and another source of support throughout this journey. I have never experienced medical care where I truly felt so strongly about how wonderful the entire staff was as I do here.
Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Pena is a great doctor who is knowledgeable, friendly and caring. He is always easy to reach via phone or email no matter what time of day. He is a down to earth person who really wants the best for his patients...My husband and I both loved him as our doctor through this long process. Every step of the way he has been honest and forthcoming about our treatment and plan. He has been compassionate during downfalls and understanding and thorough in answering every question each time we come to the office. I would definitely recommend him to any friends in need of a fertility doctor.
[The nurses at Long Island IVF are] Always available for questions and help with medication and ordering. Always able to offer advice at any time to help through the process...Monitoring appointments were done in the morning between seven to 8 o’clock. They included blood work and sometimes bloodwork and sonograms. Sometimes he would meet with a sono tech and sometimes you would meet with the doctor himself for your sonogram. Everyone has been wonderful!...This clinic always has somebody available to speak with seven days a week and is professional and caring. They offer professional treatment and advice through every step of the process. They are extremely knowledgeable.
Make sure you leave time in the mornings for his pregnancy sonograms because he is very thorough and takes his time answering everyone’s questions and concerns. This obviously takes time! :)
Ivf for freeze all cycles for genetic testing with 5 day embryo transfers after test results came back. We did this as my husband and I are both carriers of genetic disease.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality [for Eset]...I have a condition which affects all of my eggs and causes them to have an abnormal, extremely thin/frail zona ("shell"). Because of this we required very "gentle" ICSI for successful fertilization. This was done and we had great fertilization results for both IVF cycles with Dr. Pena...I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office [Long Island IVF] opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time...I spent time in Stony Brook and East Patchogue. Both clinics were friendly and timely. I spent the latter part of my care in East Patchogue where nurse, Diane was friendly and caring. Front desk receptionist, Peggy made me feel at home each time I was there. I also wanted to compliment the on call nurses with whom I spoke to twice during circumstances that were upsetting. Unfortunately I cannot remember their names but they were experienced and comforting.
I met Dr. Pena after losing my first IVF specialist after he left his practice and for insurance reasons. This was at a very vulnerable time where I felt abandoned by my first physician and rejected by another physician on the island who would only suggest an egg donor. I discussed my condition and the previous encounter with the refusing physician and Dr. Pena reassured me that I should continue with traditional IVF and never faltered on that decision. He was always encouraging and assured me he'd tell me when it was time to seek other options. In essence, he never gave up on me. That has spoken volumes to me, confirming his reputation of being a compassionate, successful, fertility physician. After five IVF cycles, I'm now pregnant with a viable pregnancy. I owe a lot to Dr. Pena. Without his confidence in me, I'm not sure I would've continued on with fertility treatments. I will forever be grateful.
I was initially hesitant to consult with Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) because of the size of the practice. I was afraid that I would just be a number in a sea of patients. But that is not at all what I encountered with Dr. Pena. My advice would be make a consult and you will see that he is knowledgable, down to earth and cares for his patients wholeheartedly.
Having been with Dr. Pena for nearly two years, I experienced some difficult times and was given news that was very hard at times. I always felt he spent time with me, answering questions in a non-rushed manner and always showing compassion. He was available by email for any thoughts or questions and would respond quickly and more often, he would call me personally. All of this was so important to me going through the difficult process of fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Sharon Hoey and later on Alexis and Jess)
When I first began treatment, I was assigned PA, Sharon Hoey. I'm so glad I have a chance to review her because she was an integral part of my care. She was kind, informative, patient and incredibly supportive. She continued to encourage me throughout the process and was a shoulder to lean on often. She is certainly working in the right specialty as fertility patients need someone like her in their corner. Later, I began dealing more with NP, Alexis who was assigned to Dr. Pena's team and she was smart, organized and helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I always arrived at least a half hour before the office opened in the AM and I was either first or third in line. For the most part, things ran smoothly and quickly and I always made it to work on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Pena at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I was responsible for copays only. These were charged for office visits and sonograms.
Describe Joseph Pena's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Dr. Pena followed the general guidelines based on my age and embryo quality.
What specific things went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Without taking away from my overall experience which was excellent, there was an issue where I was incorrectly instructed on the mixing of my HCG trigger. I was able to identify there was an error and after speaking to the on call nurse, she instructed me properly to correct the administered dose error.

Treated 2019 - 2020
The doctor [Dr. Joseph Pena] explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another...was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
The clinic [Long Island IVF] runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer...Everyone in the office always knew my name and greeted me when I showed up for monitoring appointments. My nurse always came out to ask me how I'm doing and if I had questions even if I was there routinely. Most importantly, they sit down and explain everything(!) slowly and multiple times, and go over your personal treatment schedule and expectations.
Dr. Pena was caring, compassionate, and very knowledgeable. He's very straight forward when describing treatment options and recommendations. I always felt like I could reach out directly to him at any point, and he answered all of my emails within hours. He personally called me after egg retrieval and fertilization to check in, and also with pregnancy tests results.
Do not hold back on questions. If you don't understand something, ask, he'll explain everything
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis)
All of the nurses on Dr. Pena's team were amazing, caring and knowledgeable. They were always on top of all my medications, answered countless questions and emails. They are very thorough with test results and instructions, and make sure you understand every step of the process. Alexis and Jess are incredible!
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic runs very smoothly with appointments and scheduled monitoring hours. Wait times were very low at the Patchogue location. The Melville office can get a bit crowded, especially during holidays, and wait times there could be longer.
It was very efficient. Between 7-8 am so I always had plenty of time to go into work. And you can go into the most convenient office location. Compared to my previous experience where we did have scheduled appointments, which would ultimately run late, and I was always late for work, this was way better
The doctor explained the statistics with multiple embryo transfers and we chose to do single embryo transfers. At no point did we feel pressure to go one way or another.
Treated 2020
Dr. Pena is a strong believer of transferring one embryo to reduce risk factors associated with a multiple pregnancy... took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process. Doctor Nps
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen [at Long Island IVF]. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average...the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
Dr. Pena has provided patient-centered care throughout my IVF journey. From my first consultation with him, I felt comfortable and confident that I was making the right decision choosing him as my fertility specialist. He is extremely knowledgeable in this field and will take the time out to listen to your concerns. He never makes you feel rushed during the office visits and is great in explaining what is shown/being looked for on the sonogram screens. Dr. Pena is truly the best at what he does!!
Trust him!!!
Dr. Pena took a great amount of time explaining the various options of assisted reproductive technology that were available to me during my initial consultation. He listened to my concerns and answered all of the questions. During my monitoring appointments, Dr. Pena was thorough in his explanations and always made me feel comfortable throughout the process.
I began my IVF protocol with birth control pills to begin controlling the stimulation of my ovaries. My stims began with menopur and Gonal-F to stimulate my ovaries and to increase follicle production. I also was on ganirelix to suppress ovulation. After 10 days of stims, I triggered using the leuprolide and novarel. These two assisted my ovaries in preparation for ovulation for an egg retrieval. The day before the egg retrieval I took an antibiotic as a precaution for risk of infection. The day after egg retrieval, I began the progesterone in oil shots intramuscularly as well as 1mg of estradiol twice a day. I worked my way up to maintaining the 1mL of progesterone in oil daily, 2mg of estradiol twice a day, and progesterone suppositories (Endometrin) 3x a day. I am currently on the same dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis and Jess)
The nursing staff at RMA LIIVF Patchogue office are the best! They are caring, knowledgeable, and thorough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the office handled everything very smoothly and ensured the utmost importance of the health and safety of the patients. Morning monitoring was ran smoothly and they never had more than 2-3 patients in the office at a time while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Temperature was taken at every arrival and all office staff and patients wore masks. The wait time was typically no longer than 10-15 min most of the time.
Monitoring appointments are first come, first serve and you are given a window of time that you may be seen. Upon arriving to the facility, you call from your car and they will let you know when to come up to the office (due to COVID-19). The wait long was typically no longer than 10-15 minutes on average.
Most of my IVF was covered under my health insurance. I did have to pay copayments for medications as well as copayments once deemed pregnant.
Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena takes the time to get to know you during your initial consultation. He does the same for your partner. I went back recently to have baby #2 and he remembered exactly who I was. Every time I go to his office he takes the time to ask how I’m doing. His small talk and jokes always put me at ease. Never once have I felt like a number throughout process...He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
[The nurse at Long Island IVF is] kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly...Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each...IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications.
Dr. Pena is a wonderful doctor and I truly mean that. It’s so evident that he cares about his patients. He is very level-headed which I’ve needed during the emotional rollercoaster that is family building. He explains the risks of every thing and is honestly about all aspects of treatment. He also celebrates in your milestones and moments of joy. I’ve have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Pena which is why I’m a returning patient - I wouldn’t trust anyone else!
Listen to him, he knows exactly what he’s doing. It may be frustrating when things take longer than expected or if a cycle isn’t successful but he’ll help you get there. Just trust the process.
1 IUI not medicated. 1 IUI 50mg clomid. 2 IUIs 100mg clomid. 1 fresh IVF cycle (lots of meds - Estrace, gonal-F, menopur, cetrotide, etc.). 2 frozen transfers (Estrace 2mg 3x daily, Endometrin 100mg 3x daily, progesterone in oil 100mL once daily)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess Castro)
Jess Castro has been my nurse while trying conceive both of my children. It has been a blessing having that consistency. She’s kind, thoughtful, and does her job well. You always feel like he’s rooting for you and she answers emails quickly.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Long Island IVF (now RMA Long Island IVF) is a really smart choice and a wise investment if you are looking to build or expand your family. The service they provide is top-notch and the doctor and nurses have great bedside manner. They are organized, friendly, and caring. They have checklists to keep you on track and call promptly with results. Someone is always available to answer questions or listen to concerns. Their office staff is fantastic, especially Karen R. and Midge Moretti!
Monitoring runs smoothly here! They have a great system. You get your bloodwork done first then move to sono so they constant have people rotating out of each. In the larger office (Melville) they can draw blood on 2 people at once and have 4 sono rooms so it moves quickly. At East Patchogue there are two sono rooms and the wait isn’t bad.
My insurance wouldn’t cover anything initially so we did self pay for everything. IUIs cost $2,000 a cycle and medication was a few dollars. Our fresh IVF cycle was based on tax returns so I believe it was $10,025 and then we paid maybe 3-4K in medications. The frozen cycles cost $4,425. Besides medications, everything is included in that fee. Once I became pregnant my insurance kicked in and it was $40 copays per visit.
Dr. Pena strongly recommends eSET. I had pushed on two different cycles for 2 embryos and each time he was adamant that only one was needed and explained the risks of multiples. He was so right - both of those cycles ended up in pregnancies, each with a singleton.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Because we had already gone through 3 rounds of failed medicated IUI's at our prior clinic and our age we moved onto IVF [with Dr. Pena]. I was put on birth control to monitor my cycle. After about 3 weeks we moved on to stims. Because I am a petite women Dr. Pena started off less aggressive with the medications to prevent swelling...I was monitored multiple times throughout the 17-18 days i was on the medications(sonograms and bloodwork). Medications were adjusted as needed. My body responded well to the treatments and we had two successful egg retrials. The medications taken for both rounds were the same with adjustments made to dosages. Our first IVF cycle resulted in 11 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, and 5 fertilized. T
My assigned nurses [at RMA Long Island IVF] Jessica and Alexis treated me with just as much personal care. I could email them or call them at anytime and always received a caring reponse within hours...Communication in the office is great. Everyone in every department has a great bedside manner. As a new patient be prepared to be there often in the early morning. Monitoring is first come first serve...As a new patient and new to the IVF world I was extremely nervous with many worries and concerns during every step. Early into the process, I was unable to get my birth control refilled. It was Christmas eve and I was in a panic. Although the clinic was closed I knew Dr. Pena checked his emails during his off-hours.
My first visit with Dr. Pena was a consult. My husband and I had been using another clinic the year prior and left very unsatisfied. I could tell immediately Dr. Pena was different. He was honest, personable, and didn't push and extra treatments on us. He reviewed all of our records from our previous clinic and explained the best option. We had a check an Ivf checklist and things moved quickly from there. I saw Dr. Pena at least once a week, and the nurses in between. But he was always and still is a present part of my treatments. I was not shuffled between different doctors never knowing who I would see. He was easy to get in contact with and always in communication. As I stated earlier, I knew I picked the right clinic when Dr. Pena called an anxious new patient in the middle of his Christmas Eve celebration.
Don't wait to seek treatment, get a consult, and trust your gut. The hardest part of IVF and any fertility treatments is the unknown. There will ups and downs along the way, find a support group or a friend, and talk about it. Be nice to yourself and know you are brave and strong. Also, you are in great hands!
Dr. Pena and his team have always made me feel like I am their only patient. As a new patient and new to the IVF world I was extremely nervous with many worries and concerns during every step. Early into the process, I was unable to get my birth control refilled. It was Christmas eve and I was in a panic. Although the clinic was closed I knew Dr. Pena checked his emails during his off-hours. He called me within an hour (i could hear his holiday celebration goig on in the background) and solved my birth control crisis. My assigned nurses Jessica and Alexis treated me with just as much personal care. I could email them or call them at anytime and always received a caring reponse within hours.
Prior to starting my first round of IVF, I had some basic blood work drawn. Dr. Pena also performed a sonohysterogram which pretty painless. Before coming to Dr. Pena I had most of my fertility testing done already. My husband went for a semen analysis, he had some morphology issues but was considered in the normal range. I was diagnosed with unknown infertility. My hormone levels were normal, tubes clear, uterus in good shape, eggs young for my "age" etc. Because we had already gone through 3 rounds of failed medicated IUI's at our prior clinic and our age we moved onto IVF. I was put on birth control to monitor my cycle. After about 3 weeks we moved on to stims. Because I am a petite women Dr. Pena started off less aggressive with the medications to prevent swelling. I was taking gonal f and menopur injections in the eve to start. A morning injection was added into my routine closer to my egg retrieval. I was monitored multiple times throughout the 17-18 days i was on the medications(sonograms and bloodwork). Medications were adjusted as needed. My body responded well to the treatments and we had two successful egg retrials. The medications taken for both rounds were the same with adjustments made to dosages. Our first IVF cycle resulted in 11 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, and 5 fertilized. Two made it to freeze and onto PGT testing. This was something not covered by insurance but recommended for women over 35. This prolongs the process, it takes a couple of weeks for the results. Unfortunately, covid hit when we were about to move onto the transfer phases. We had one "normal" embryo ready to go but covid put things on hold. When we were finally able to prep for our transfer Dr. Pena put me on oral medication and the dreaded progesterone in oil injection (it's really not that bad). I started the injections 5 days prior to transfer and continue through my pregnancy test. On the morning of our transfer, we were hit with another setback, our normal embryo did not survive the thaw. We knew there was a small risk this could happen, but we were still devasted. We were back to the drawing board and starting round 2. The pros of a second round, you know what to expect, and the big box of medications that arrives in the mail is not as scary. Our second cycle went just as smoothly with even better results. We had the same amount of egg retrieved the second time but 9 were mature and 7 fertilized, 4 made it to freeze and one was a fresh transfer. We opted not to do the PGT testing this round. We knew this could lead to failed embryo transfers and it did. After 2 failed transfers, Dr. Pena asked if we wanted to be more aggressive and try transferring 2 embryos at a time. We opted to transfer 2 embryos on our third transfer which was successful! I am a little over 7 weeks pregnant, still under Dr. Pena's care. I see him weekly for bloodwork and sonograms. I am also still taking oral medications, the progesterone in oil injections, and a vaginal insert (endrometrain). Hoping to start decreasing my meds after this week's appointment. All of these medications help keep your hormone levels where they need me to keep the baby growing. So far my beta numbers have been good and where they need to be.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis Rogers, Jessica Castro)
Both of my nurses were amazing. During my first round, Jessica told me what to expect with all my medications, including whether or not one might burn. When I was starting a new injection, I made the mistake of googling it. I immediately started crying after reading some women's reactions. I emailed Jess and she responded in minutes reassuring me it was going to be okay and none of their patients had those reactions, and she was right. Another time i was doing an early morning injection and accidentally injected too much medication. I had an appointment with Alexis that morning and explained. She was honest and told me the possible outcomes of taking too much of the medication, but also reassured me it was going to be okay. She could see the panic and sadness on my face through my masks and continued to chat with me until I was okay. There have been so many occasions when they both have been there for me. They truely care about all their patients.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Communication in the office is great. Everyone in every department has a great bedside manner. As a new patient be prepared to be there often in the early morning. Monitoring is first come first serve. With covid precautions, the wait is a little longer than before covid.
Precovid the appointments were very quick, fast turner over. Occasionally the wait would be a little longer if another location(office) was closed. With covid because there are more protocols for our safety and with the west Islip office closed the wait can be a bit long. As of now, you call when you arrive, you get added to the list, and then they call when you can come up.
We were very lucky and have amazing insurance. We have 3 full rounds of IVF covered. We do have medication copays, and copays after the first positive pregnancy test. We did pay $2,500 for PGT testing to the clinic and then $150 per embryo being tested to the lab. That was our largest expense.
I think it is smart to start with single embryo transfers. With a multiple embryo transfer, you have an increased risk of multiple births.
Treated 2020
Dr.Pena responds to email very frequently and since he doesn't always see you in the office, you can simply send an email and expect a quick response...wasn't present at the majority of monitoring process. He became much more involved after the embryo transfer...I went through my 3rd IVF cycle with Dr. Pena and we finally got a healthy embryo! We did genetic testing to make sure there were no chromosomal abnormalities and now, I can happily say that I am pregnant. Dr. Pena and all the staff at RMA have been wonderful. At 42 years old, doctors will often tell you that it’s going to be harder to get pregnant and that your chances are lower. I literally had 4 doctors before Dr. Pena and they all told me the same thing. But it’s not true. Dr. Pena never made me feel like I was “too old” or that “my chances were lower” of having a healthy embryo and getting pregnant. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He jokes with you and makes yo
The East Patchogue clinic [of RMA Long Island] is a little bit small. The main office is in Melville which is much bigger...The wait times can be 1 hour or so. Make sure you are on time. If you are late, you will have to wait...They [nurses] were all really on top of everything. The medications, the scheduling, communication, follow-ups, phone calls, etc. I never felt like a number with them. They knew exactly who I was and were always so kind and knowledgable.
My name is Christine and I’m 42 years old. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for 5 years. In 2019, I went through my first IVF cycle in Boston, MA with no success. In July 2020, I went through my second IVF cycle in Manhattan with no success. During both of these cycles, I was diagnosed with DCIS (breast cancer), hydrosalpinx (fallopian tube blocked), 3 large fibroids, and endometriosis in my right fallopian tube. After multiple surgeries and radiation therapy, my husband and I moved to Long Island New York and found Dr. Joseph Pena at RMA. In December 2020, I went through my 3rd IVF cycle with Dr. Pena and we finally got a healthy embryo! We did genetic testing to make sure there were no chromosomal abnormalities and now, I can happily say that I am pregnant. Dr. Pena and all the staff at RMA have been wonderful. At 42 years old, doctors will often tell you that it’s going to be harder to get pregnant and that your chances are lower. I literally had 4 doctors before Dr. Pena and they all told me the same thing. But it’s not true. Dr. Pena never made me feel like I was “too old” or that “my chances were lower” of having a healthy embryo and getting pregnant. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He jokes with you and makes you feel comfortable. I’m always smiling when I go into the East Patchogue office (and Melville). I know that with the combined efforts of Dr. Pena and his staff (Peggy, Karen, Jess, Alexis, Stephanie) and my willingness to truly believe that I would hold my baby in my arms, is the reason the I am pregnant today. Thank you Dr. Pena.
I definitely recommend Dr. Pena. Just be aware that because RMA Long Island is a big practice, you are not going to see him at every visit and you will most likely be communicating with the nurses a lot. Dr.Pena responds to email very frequently and since he doesn't always see you in the office, you can simply send an email and expect a quick response.
Dr. Pena wasn't present at the majority of monitoring process. He became much more involved after the embryo transfer.
I only did 1 IVF cycle with Dr. Pena. (I had 3 total with other doctors). This was a typical cycle where I took Letrozole tablets, Menour, Gonal-F and Cetrotide. The trigger shot was a bit different this time. I injected it into my belly as opposed to my buttocks. I was told that due to lower weight the trigger would work the same . That was the only thing that I did differently with Dr. Pena than with my other doctors. This time, my husband and I got a healthy embryo and I am now 7 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Alexis Rogers and Jessica Castro)
They were all really on top of everything. The medications, the scheduling, communication, follow-ups, phone calls, etc. I never felt like a number with them. They knew exactly who I was and were always so kind and knowledgable.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The East Patchogue clinic is a little bit small. The main office is in Melville which is much bigger. Since we are in the Covid pandemic, protocols have changed, so the amount of people in the waiting room had to be cut in half. Many people have to wait in their cars or downstairs in the lobby. The wait times can be 1 hour or so. Make sure you are on time. If you are late, you will have to wait.
The monitoring appointments are typical of any clinic. 6am-8am for the most part. The patients usually would receive appointments via text or email, but sometimes not. You just need to know when to come in.
My insurance covered my cycle, but I had deductible costs and PGS testing costs. PGS testing was approx.$2400.
Treated 2020
...honest and straight forward from the start, that is exactly what Dr. Pena is. From the first visit Dr. Pena was very direct and professional. Easy to reach and responded to emails very quickly...I hoped that IUI would be an option mainly since the procedure would be out of pocket. After receiving his specimen results DR. Pena recommended IVF only. It was a bit of a punch to the gut but I'm so glad Dr. Pena didn't want to waste time and money on a procedure that he knew wasn't going to work for us. 1 transfer later and Iam currently 6 weeks pregnant and couldn't be more happy.
IVF cost breakdown [at RMA Long Island IVF] 12,050 plus IVF medication around 5k-7k. Male testing around 3k which included the genetic testing and semen freezing...The staff was very warm and welcoming and even started to remember who I was just after a few visits...Thoughout my retrieval process the nurses could tell I was nervous but helped me though the whole process. Alexis is amazing and so helpful as well as easy to reach.
If you're like me and wanted a doctor that would be honest and straight forward from the start, that is exactly what Dr. Pena is. From the first visit Dr. Pena was very direct and professional. Easy to reach and responded to emails very quickly.
Trust the process. It's hard and long and at times you will feel a bit lost. Especially once you receive a giant box of fertility drugs. But help is just a phone call away to help with every step.
Originally going in my partner and I hoped that IUI would be an option mainly since the procedure would be out of pocket. After receiving his specimen results DR. Pena recommended IVF only. It was a bit of a punch to the gut but I'm so glad Dr. Pena didn't want to waste time and money on a procedure that he knew wasn't going to work for us. 1 transfer later and Iam currently 6 weeks pregnant and couldn't be more happy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The nurses overall are great. Very warm friendly. Thoughout my retrieval process the nurses could tell I was nervous but helped me though the whole process. Alexis is amazing and so helpful as well as easy to reach.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinics strengths would be availability. Any time I had a question or concern someone was able to call me back within a few minutes. If you are a new patient just give it time. The process is long.
Very easy.
Without coverage from insurance. IVF cost breakdown 12,050 plus IVF medication around 5k-7k. Male testing around 3k which included the genetic testing and semen freezing.

Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable. He will explain everything to you and why he believes it is the best course of action. He is always available via email and returns your emails or will call within hours...Sometimes his delivery is blunt, but if you ask questions he will explain it...He started me on meds and monitored closely. IUIs were done and close monitoring was then done afterward...He was available 24/7 and even while he was on vacation! He always contacted you back and would thoroughly explain what you were questioning.
My insurance covered it 100% I was only responsible to pay for sonogram copays [at Long Island IVF] once I was pregnant...They are very efficient and organized. The staff is compassionate and willing to help every step of the way. It is important to advocate for yourself as you know your case the best. Like anywhere, something may get overlooked and you need to be aware...Jessica [nurse] was always available to answer questions. She was very compassionate when results were not ideal, and explained everything extensively.
Sometimes his delivery is blunt, but if you ask questions he will explain it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Jessica was always available to answer questions. She was very compassionate when results were not ideal, and explained everything extensively.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance covered it 100% I was only responsible to pay for sonogram copays once I was pregnant.

Treated 2017 - 2020
[Dr. Pena] was always available to answer questions at any time of day and responds immediately to you...I have been though 6 IUI resulting in miscarriage, had IVF with egg retrieval and transfer and am now pregnant with 2...Dr Pena has been the doctor helping me through it all and has been caring all the way...Dr Pena will guide you through each step...IUI cycles with clomid, ovidrel and progesterone that were unsuccessful but then tried IVF for 1st time 1/2020 with egg retrieval and transfer and I am pregnant with twins
it can be a long process and many mornings being in office at 630am for blood work and sonogram [at Long Island IVF]...you get to know the staff very well on a personal level, they are very compassionate and caring...Excellent care received [from nurses] and answered all questions...Monitoring in morning hours are very early between 630-8am, first come first serve and never know how long the wait will be...When i first started I attempted 3 IUI cycles to which 3rd time resulted in positive pregnancy but ended in miscarriage, I was prescribed clomid during the cycles and progesterone crinone, after this my husband and I got pregnant on our own 2 months after miscarriage and today she’s a beautiful 14 month old, so we went back to LI IVF Patchogue in 9/19 and tried with 3 more IUI cycles with clomid, ovidrel and progesterone that were unsuccessful but then tried IVF for 1st time 1/2020 with egg retrieval and transfer and I am pregnant with twins
Dr Pena was always available for questions, very candid caring , I have been dealing with infertility since 2017 and going to office, I have been though 6 IUI resulting in miscarriage, had IVF with egg retrieval and transfer and am now pregnant with 2, hoping for all the best, Dr Pena has been the doctor helping me through it all and has been caring all the way
Infertility is challenging but Dr Pena will guide you through each step
Dr Pena was always available to answer questions at any time of day and responds immediately to you
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jess and Alexa)
Excellent care received and answered all questions
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Show love and compassion, I would just let a new pt know it can be a long process and many mornings being in office at 630am for blood work and sonogram, long process, everyday it can be longer wait then other days , you get to know the staff very well on a personal level, they are very compassionate and caring
I have insurance so would only pay $25 copay with sonograms
Challenging at times to get medications, but not on clinical side, I use a mail away pharmacy which needed more and more clinical records for approval of medications
Treated 2018 - 2020
[Dr. Joseph Pena is] very professional yet still had a very caring and gentle spirit...He inquired about how I felt on a daily personal and professional. He made sure that my levels were on track even if they weren't for ivf directly...I had to take medication to regulate my numbers once I was regulated I went to many doctors appointments for blood work. Finally had the successful transfer still maintaining medication and blood work that eventually led to blood and sono early in the morning for about 6 to 8 weeks
strengths [at RMA Long Island IVF] is they are compassionate individuals kind knowledgeable...on time...weakness is the time they open dont fit my work schedule and that you can hear the conversations they have with other clients in the waiting room...Dr. Pena is caring knowledgeable gentle professional and engaging. He inquired about how I felt on a daily personal and professional. He made sure that my levels were on track even if they weren't for ivf directly.
Be an open book because he understands and can better assist you if you are open
very professional yet still had a very caring and gentle spirit
very nice people
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
strengths is they are compassionate individuals kind knowledgeable on time weakness is the time they open dont fit my work schedule and that you can hear the conversations they have with other clients in the waiting room
Wished that blood and sono started earlier in the patchogue office it would of been more convenient
Went through insurance everything else was out of pocket

Treated 2018 - 2020
Dr. Pena has elected single embryo transfer every time except once on my 3rd cycle I wanted to try 2 embryos since. I was also understood of the risk could have twins if transfer multiple embryos...I would recommend Dr. Pena from my experience as great fertility doctor because he has helped many of his patients and myself to achieve in having a family. We have been trying to conceive for few years and was lucky to conceive twice after the age of 35.
[RMA was] organized, friendly, caring, is there to answer any questions by phone or email and in case of emergency's responds promptly. Monitoring hours is quick even though have a lot of patients visiting all during the same hour...She [nurse] was also helpful to answer any questions I had about the medications and to make sure I had enough supply...I would recommend Dr. Pena from my experience as great fertility doctor because he has helped many of his patients and myself to achieve in having a family. We have been trying to conceive for few years and was lucky to conceive twice after the age of 35.
Go for it but first make sure your ready financially to afford treatment or be working with employer that will give you insurance to help pay for the bills it's very expensive.
understanding my fertility medical history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
She was also helpful to answer any questions I had about the medications and to make sure I had enough supply.

Treated 2018 - 2020
I used gonal f and menopur [for IVF with Dr. Pena]. I responded very well so I used low dosage and stimmed for a short time...Dr. Pena was personable with me. He told me the facts in layman's and medical terms. I felt comfortable on not so comfortable moments...has been my RE for the past 3 years. He has been very supportive in the highs and lows of this journey. He is very communicable with myself and my spouse. He explains in layman's terms as well as giving proper medical terminology.
[RMA Long Island IVF is] popular and because of this it can also be a weakness because of the volume. They do have other doctors and clinics in the group. This does help with volume. It also helps with individualswho would.like the experiencewithout having to travel so far for screening...My nurse is the absolute best. Both compassion supportive. I wouldnt have made it through this journey without her...I used gonal f and menopur. I responded very well so I used low dosage and stimmed for a short time.
Dr Pena has been my RE for the past 3 years. He has been very supportive in the highs and lows of this journey. He is very communicable with myself and my spouse. He explains in layman's terms as well as giving proper medical terminology.
Ask all the questions you deem necessary.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro)
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinics strengths are that they are popular and because of this it can also be a weakness because of the volume. They do have other doctors and clinics in the group. This does help with volume. It also helps with individualswho would.like the experiencewithout having to travel so far for screening. .
My Dr. Had a concern based on my previous miscarriage with multiples
Treated 2016 - 2020
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation...I have PCOS. I did Letrozole 5mg early on in the cycles. I was monitored to look for follicles. 36 hours before ovulation I used the Ovidrel trigger injection. I had 4 IUIs. The last one successfully resulted in a pregnancy.
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures [at Long Island IVF]...Wait time wasn't bad. You have to expect to wait in the mornings during monitoring hours. First come, first serve. Nice office staff. Organized check in process. Small waiting room. Overall, it was a pleasurable experience first thing in the morning...Dr. Pena's nurse practitioner, Alexis is amazing! She will stay on the phone as long as you need to answer any questions or concerns you may have, in great detail. She's warm and encouraging. I tried to request speaking to her if she was available.
Dr. Pena is very knowledgeable and dedicated to his work. I always felt like I was in the right care. He likes to joke around which is a breath of fresh air in a stressful situation. I am that I chose him as my infertility doctor.
Ask as many questions as you want!
Dr. Pena communicated very well and was always there to answer questions I had over e-mail or phone call.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance fully covers IUI procedures.
There were a few times when I was told or e-mailed incorrect information about my next step in the treatment. It was quickly corrected.
Treated 2018 - 2019
When my husband and I found out we needed IVF we were heart broken but Doctor Pena honestly turned an unfortunate situation into a pleasant one. He never promised but always delivered. He was honest , considerate and set my expectations exactly where they should have been. He made me feel calm and comfortable, he put me and my husband at ease throughout this entire process. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have made it through this without him . And I am so thrilled to say I am now 7 weeks pregnant with Baby #1!! Dr. Pena will not disappoint, anyone looking for the best should look no further.
Monitoring [at Long Island IVF] was always super quick!...you may go in there and see 10-12 girls waiting ahead of you but dont panic. The nurses there were SO quick...billing is extremely on top of everything. I knew what would be owed by me before a procedure was even done, I was never surprised with a bill I didnt expect...Everyone I came in contact with from reception, to billing to nurses were professional and kind. I always felt comfortable dealing with everyone I came in contact with at long island ivf. I would refer then over and over again to anyone who needs fertility treatments.
Trust him. I questioned everything, and I shouldnt have. Dr.Pena was right and knew exactly what needed to be done every step of the way. He has alot of patients, but he is on top of everything I promise you.
Dr.Pena was ALWAYS available to answer any questions, he called as soon as he recieved an email from me.
Dr. Pena tried one protocol for our first transfer which unfortunately failed, we did a similar one with a few adjustments the second time which also failed and the third time he made numerous changes , which resulted in my positive!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Jessica Castro )
Jess was my rock! She was caring , compassionate and everything you want from your nurse going into this.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Monitoring was always super quick! Honestly to knew patients you may go in there and see 10-12 girls waiting ahead of you but dont panic. The nurses there were SO quick. I would get there at 630am , and with an average on I girls ahead of me I was seen by 640am and home at 7.
I do not know my exact costs as part of it was covered through my insurance but what I can say is that midge in billing is extremely on top of everything. I knew what would be owed by me before a procedure was even done, I was never surprised with a bill I didnt expect.
Dr.Pena suggested we do 1 embryo each time as I didnt want to risk twins and he was exactly right.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr Pena and his team were always straightforward about every process and always available to answer any and all questions I had...Our consultation was great. He gave me the recommended course of action. I came off 2 rounds of clomid (1 ending in an early miscarriage and 1 failed). I was not happy with the monitoring at my obgyn so was very happy with the plan dr Pena put together...I had a lot of standard testing that took several weeks... was frustrating but essential. Then once we finally started treatment I did IUI with letrozole and a trigger shot. First round failed, then second round was a success. After my BFP testing showed my progesterone was low so I immediately started taking suppositories twice a day. I do feel this made all the difference...
The nurses [at Long Island IVF] are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time...When compared to doing treatments at your regular obgyn, this office is leaps and bounds ahead. Everything is super easy, they’re a well oiled machine! Again my only complaint would be the Patchogue office is slower, nurses were late frequently so monitoring couldn’t start until like 7:20am. Every time I went to sayville they’d start their monitoring 15 min prior to opening, which was amazing. Clinic Nps
Don’t wait too long before switching to a fertility clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joey)
The nurses are amazing and are very diligent with follow up calls. My only complaint is that the Patchogue office runs very very slow. The Sayville staff is significantly quicker at everything. Sometimes I’d drive further because I’d be there for half the time.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
My insurance had great fertility coverage so I didn’t pay much out of pocket at all.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Pena is a very smart and compassionate Dr. He has walked me through my procedures step by step and even held my hand for my egg retrieval before I was put under anesthesia. He is truly caring. He even took the time to call me numerous times while he was out of the country on vacation. Most doctors wouldn't do that. That showed me just how much he cares about his patients...I first had a FEMVUE and water Sonogram to rule out if my tubes were open or not and to have a map of my uterus. I also had a endometrial biopsy to help increase chances of the embryo implanting.
I would usually go to the Melville office [pf Long Island IVF] for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!...Strengths are definitely the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Peggy is an amazing person who is so genuinely caring and makes sure you have your appointments! Its so nice to have such nice people care about you and hope that you reach your pregnancy goals...Joey [nurse]( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
I would highly recommend Dr. Pena. I would tell them to ask him any questions they may have, because he will explain everything they will need to know.
Dr. Pena is a compassionate doctor who truly cares about his patients and the importance of their care and goals. From the first day we met Dr. Pena, he took the time to explain everything to us step by step. He has never rushed an appointment and has always been clear with expectations and treatments for our fertility plan. He even took the time when he was on vacation to call me to explain a procedure he recommended doing to help my process. He is quick with responding to email questions and has always gotten back to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Joanna Falson)
Joey ( as well as Jess) is helpful with helping me with my medications and having them ordered for me.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
I would usually go to the Melville office for my monitoring, they were a very well oiled machine~!
Everything except the PGS testing was covered by my insurance. I only have Co-payments now.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations...is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had...He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan...I had unexplained fertility. It only took two tries to conceive. There was slight medication changes that were made on the second round that may have played a part in conceiving.
My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed [at Long Island IVF]...Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
Dr. Pena is direct and to the point. He listened to my concerns and took them into consideration for my plan of care. He is attentive. He is friendly. He was always available for any questions or concerns I had.
It may sound overwhelming at first , which it is, but to not give up and just ask questions. He is very easy to speak with and really cares that you understand the treatment plan.
Office staff always greeted by first name and asked friendly questions. Dr. Pena always responded to emails within minutes and made sure that I understood his explanations.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The staff is great and really care about the patient as many there have had similar experiences with infertility which made it much easier to form a bond. My only complaint is unfortunately they are understaffed and it dies reflect on the patient treatment. Being new and not knowing what to expect there were times I had to figure things out myself. There were times I didn’t have enough meds and I didn’t know because I was new. They also merged with another hospital at the time and there with discrepancies with what medications I was and was not using. That was a little frustrating because it cost a lot of money and is very time consuming as well as emotionally draining and to think I may not be taking the right meds or doing the right steps to achieve a successful pregnancy was upsetting. But in the end I learned to just call anytime to confirm the plan of care and the staff was helpful in figuring out together what was needed. And I did conceive so I believe I was treated appropriately.
I am glad we did multiple embryo transfer because out of the 2 that were transferred only one took. It increased my odds and it was a success.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Pena refused multiple [embryo] transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough...was kind and explained things to me...is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Once my injection was not called in [at Long Island IVF]. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost...Monitoring is done between 7am-8am. If you have work go early or go to Melville location as they have more nurses and you are in and out faster. I do love the staff at east patchogue so I just always came between 630-645 & waited for them to open...Strengths: good results, knowledgeable staff, comforting environment, positive staff and energy, Weaknesses: once medications were not called in but they did spot me the injection so my cycle was not compromised.
Dr. Pena is a great doctor. He was candid and always reachable. I was a particularly anxious patient with lots of questions that were always answered. This process is difficult, frustrating and at times heart breaking but I always felt comfortable in his office and hopeful after my visits. Going back for baby number 2.
Get to the office early for bloodwork.
Dr pena was kind and explained things to me. I was a very anxious patient.
Joey was not the most compassionate nurse but she was knowledgable and did her job. I mostly saw the med assistant Diane who was amazing.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
It was covered by insurance except ICIS, medications, and freezing and storage. Total cost for ivf (1 round fresh transfer) and iuis (4) was about 6-7gs.
Dr. Pena refused multiple transfers for me as I was only 27 and he was concerned for twins and high risk pregnancy. We got pregnant from our first fresh embryo so it was never revisited as he was correct in his thinking that 1 was enough.
Once my injection was not called in. However once I informed the clinic they corrected it called it in and gave me the medication until mine came in to replace it so my cycle was not lost.
Treated 2015 - 2019
Dr. Peña always knew who I was and my case. He has great recall and is engaging...I felt well taken care of and I always knew what to expect. dr. Peña was confident with whatever we were proceeding forward with and was always honest in his opinions. He has never had an issue getting me pregnant, and even with a miscarriage I knew he would get us pregnant again...Ask any questions you have, he always takes time to answer
The office [of Long Island IVF] is clean and homey. They run in a timely manner and are very personable. I like that it is not a large factory. They run in a predictable way, which is very comforting with all the uncertainties of IVF...Monitoring occurs in a certain window of time in the morning. Each patient is taken back based on time of arrival for blood and US (if that’s what you are there for)...I cannot say enough about Jessica Castro. She is caring, compassionate, punctual and knowledgeable. She makes you feel at ease with whatever you are facing. She always answers emails/calls and is always on time with medication orders. She is the best out there !
Ask any questions you have, he always takes time to answer
Low dose, long stim period with follistim and gonal f because of my PCOS to prevent OHSS. This resulted in 13 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilized and 5 blastocysts
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The office is clean and homey. They run in a timely manner and are very personable. I like that it is not a large factory. They run in a predictable way, which is very comforting with all the uncertainties of IVF.
My insurance covers $5k per year with 80/20 coverage. Between my 2015/2016 and current 2019 treatments my cost all together have been roughly $7k
Dr. Peña is very strongly for single embryo transfer in my case sec to age and health
Treated 2017 - 2019
He [Dr. Joseph Pena] always knew exactly who i was and all my background details . After my 2017 pregnancy when i went back in 2019 he picked up right with me , my family and our treatment plan...He was completely honest with me but In a caring gentle way...He was always available to speak to viA email or telephone. He never made me feel like just a number. I felt like a person with him and he never dismissed my concerns...For my transfers he used estrace , pio and endometrium. Then two years later they had stopped using endometrium. I had two failed transfers and requested it for the third transfer. That transfer worked and I’m currently 7 weeks pregnant.
Strengths [at Long Island IVF] - organized , Compassionate, efficient , many office locations, early morning hours. All the locations i went office was clean and well stocked . The keep all your information private . The mornings can be busy but it’s so organized you can get in and out...Theresa was an amazing nurse. She always called with instructions when i was told she would but what really stood out was her compassion. She really got to know and understand me. She was always there to listen and calm my nerves. I had her as my nurse in 2017 and again now 2019...For my transfers he used estrace , pio and endometrium. Then two years later they had stopped using endometrium. I had two failed transfers and requested it for the third transfer. That transfer worked and I’m currently 7 weeks pregnant.
He was completely honest with me but In a caring gentle way He was always available to speak to viA email or telephone. He never made me feel like just a number. I felt like a person with him and he never dismissed my concerns.
Be completely open and honest with him. He will do his very best to make it happen.
He always knew exactly who i was and all my background details . After my 2017 pregnancy when i went back in 2019 he picked up right with me , my family and our treatment plan .
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF). (Assigned nurse: Theresa Rothwell )
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Strengths - organized , Compassionate, efficient , many office locations, early morning hours. All the locations i went office was clean and well stocked . The keep all your information private . The mornings can be busy but it’s so organized you can get in and out.
Treatment can get pricey but they will check what is covered by insurance.
I agree with his approach once pgt tester only single transfers.
East Patchogue
Dr. Pena was very patient, made me feel very comfortable, answered all my questions and was very clear and concise with his instructions when preparing for the IUI...He knew exactly what to do and I had the utmost confidence that I would have successful outcomes with him...I would go into the office on Day 2 or 3 of my menstrual cycle and they would take blood and do a sonogram. Then they would prescribe me clomid and ovidrel shot. After another visit or two with additional sonograms and blood tests, they would tell me when I would be scheduled for the IUI and when to take the ovidrel.
I dealt with nurse Jessica [at Long Island IVF] primarily and she was an excellent communicator, she took care of all my needs, answered every email in the most prompt fashion, and was just patient with me. The entire nursing staff were so great as well. they all seemed so well informed with my treatment strategies and I always felt like I was in good hands...The clinic's staff were great and anytime there was a change in the schedule, they would inform me immediately and would apply to their computer system where different offices knew exactly what was going on.
As mentioned earlier Dr. Pena was a great doctor and made my dreams of being a mother and expanding on my family come true. He knew exactly what to do and I had the utmost confidence that I would have successful outcomes with him.
Generally speaking, going through fertility treatments is a commitment and if someone really wants to have a baby, then they have to adhere to the process which is very meticulous in nature. I followed through with all appointments because I knew it would be worth it in the end! And it was!
Dr. Pena was very patient, made me feel very comfortable, answered all my questions and was very clear and concise with his instructions when preparing for the IUI. It was a great experience and I have already started recommending him to other people I know that are struggling with fertility.
I dealt with nurse Jessica primarily and she was an excellent communicator, she took care of all my needs, answered every email in the most prompt fashion, and was just patient with me. The entire nursing staff were so great as well. they all seemed so well informed with my treatment strategies and I always felt like I was in good hands.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic's staff were great and anytime there was a change in the schedule, they would inform me immediately and would apply to their computer system where different offices knew exactly what was going on. My only wish is that the clinics were closer to my home, but driving a little distance is a small price to pay for my successful outcomes.
I only had to pay copayments, so for drawing blood it would cost me $20.00, for a sonogram, it would be $30.00.

Treated 2013 - 2018
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF.... Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF.
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they [Long Island IVF -West Islip] won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.... I needed more endometrin from my specialty pharmacy and I called and Jessica said she would send it in. then I called my pharmacy a few days later to order and she still didn't send it. when I called her she apologized and said she forgot but then sent it over right away.
Dr Pena is very forthcoming with information. He's not warm and fuzzy but that doesn't mean he's not kind. I liked how straightforward he was with information and I liked that he had a good sense of humor when dealing with the trials of infertility. Overall I liked his way of handling things and his demeanor. He was real and nothing felt ingenuine or fake.
To really listen to what he has to say and trust that he has a lot of experience to back up his advice
They always used my name and answered all my questions and handled things delicately when need be
I started with Dr Pena back in 2013 with IUI bc I was optimistic that I could get pregnant without too much intervention. Dr. Pena was willing to work with what I wanted but also let me know the statistics and success rates of IUI with no meds vs IUI with meds and then of course the success rate of IVF. So after failed IUI with no meds then I did a couple rounds with meds and still no luck so I went to IVF. Dr. Pena felt more confident that given my age and the fact that the problem was mainly with my husband that we'd ave a better chance with IVF. The first round I didn't get a ton of eggs at retrieval and only 2 survived so that's what they transferred but had a chemical pregnancy. Then I started a whole new fresh cycle a couple months later and had a much better retrieval and had I believe 4, 5 day embryos and they transferred 2 and I got pregnant! They froze the 2 remaining. I had a ealthy single baby girl in 2014. Now in 2017 I went back for a FET and had a chemical pregnancy and then did my 2nd FET about a month ago and I am currently pregnant.
Overall I liked Jessica but not as much as the nurse I had back in 2013/2014 Karen who was amazing. that being said Jessica was very nice but she made a few errors along the way that were frustrating. But always apologized for her mistakes and corrected them but sometimes it felt like maybe she hasn't been doing it long enough.
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
Wait times can sometimes be a pain for monitoring and sometimes they won't have enough staff for the amount of patients and that can be frustrating. One time I went in and they no sonogram technician so I had to drive all the way to Melville just for a sonogram.
I already mentiond this earlier but monitoring on certain days can be a nightmare at this office and other days its easy breezy. When its busy it can be a little crazy but overall you can tell their really trying to get everyone in and out in a timely fashion
I am very fortunate to have very good insurance so I had zero co-pays til I had a positive pregnancy test
Treated 2016 - 2018
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. ...I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable...he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise
The clinic [Long Island IVF West Islip is amazing. They sort of become family, everyone knows your cycle and where you are...The tech was always professional and told you your progress if any....I absolutely LOVE Jessica, she was my rock when i was there. She was so loving and motherly. She explained all my paperwork...The billing coordinator, Midge, is also so amazing she explained the charges and was always willing to work with me .
Dr Pena was honest from the beginning. I wish i would have listened and not wasted as much time. He stated the obvious about my ovary and egg count. Instead of jumping into IVF i wanted to try IUI. Against his suggestion we tried. Even though it didn't work out he never once said i told you so . He in a kind and nurturing manner suggested IVF with ICSI. Again against his suggestion we only tried IVF. Despite all my failures he was always kind and supportive. I finally listened to him and got pregnant twice. First time i miscarried at 10 weeks 5 days due to stress from my commute and work. This time i'm pregnant and am extremely hopeful for a live birth. Recently i freaked out because i had some vaginal bleeding. I called the emergency hotline and a nurse returned my call , then Dr. Pena reached out to me and told me to come in to see him for peace of mind. He said me stressing will not do anything good. I wasn't scheduled to see him until Thursday but he took me in on Tuesday. When i saw him i was in tears . He was kind and speaking positive . He mentioned that the progesterone suppositories may cause bleeding. He performed the sono and everything is perfect. baby is growing and has a healthy heartbeat. He also mentioned that the sono might cause some bleeding , and not to panic. He mentioned that if i bleed heavily , like soaking 2 pads an hour i need to call him right away and go to the ER. I couldn't have asked for a more understanding , caring and a person who actually gets me and can foresee any issues i might have . He really pays attention and made me feel safe and comfortable.
Be yourself , he doesn't judge and is actually very funny himself. He will always give you his best medical advise . Don't be a hard head like myself. In this case the Dr. does know best.
i have a quirky personality and i felt at ease with Dr. Pena. My left ovary went under a procedure with my gynecologist. Every time we were stiming i would say my left side just takes longer to get ready , like some girls they get ready in 15 mins , my righ side takes longer , she needs to put on lashes , do her make up , get her hair done , and forget about picking out an outfit . forget about how strange this sounds , any time i went in to see him he played right along, when he would see follicles developing he would say she's almost done getting ready and would say hopefully she makes it the party. When she didn't produce anything worth retrieving , he would say little things like she's (my left ovary) is staying in tonight. he always found a way to make me laugh. He made me feel normal and safe.
Due to my low egg reserve had to be aggressive , he took extra care to ensure i was not hyper stimulating my ovaries . He always asked me if i was having any side effects. He did modify one of my meds because my ovaries were not responding.
I absolutely LOVE Jessica, she was my rock when i was there. She was so loving and motherly. She explained all my paperwork , i always had tons of questions and she was always kind in answering , never feeling annoyed. I always looked forward to getting blood work results from her as she explained what the numbers meant. She also told me to stay away from google , she had noticed my personality and said she wants me to be stress and worry free. She said if i had any questions or concerns to reach out to her directly and if she couldn't give me the answer she would get me the answer from Dr. Pena. They really are a dynamic duo. I also cant say enough about Krystal , she would be the one who would draw my blood and coordinate my meds for me . She was on top of it. My insurance was a bit of a nightmare to deal with but she was relentless on the followup to ensure i would have meds on time for my cycle. The billing coordinator, Midge, is also so amazing she explained the charges and was always willing to work with me .
Describe your experience with RMA Long Island IVF (formerly Long Island IVF).
The clinic is amazing. They sort of become family, everyone knows your cycle and where you are. For me this was invaluable as my family is unaware i was going through treatment. They are against it for religious reasons. This process is emotional and you def need a support system. They became my family i had my own personal cheerleaders.
When Dr Pena was performing the monitoring it took longer , as i'm sure others had questions and took up more of his time . When he was not in the West Islip office and we had a tech, it was in and out. The tech was always professional and told you your progress if any.
Luckily for me i was covered under my insurance. The only thing i had to pay out of pocket was ICSI, which was reasonable.
Due to my egg quality and count he preferred multiple embryo transfer for my fresh cycle. He did explain the consequences. For my frozen transfer he did explain he preferred just 1 embryo , only 1 made it.