UPMC Magee

Medical SchoolRosalind Franklin U.
ResidencySUNY
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Wexford
9000 Brooktree Rd.
Wexford, PA 15090
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Sanfilippo to a friend?

6.2

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UPMC Magee to a friend?
2 IUI, 7 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Sanfilippo] did not take the time to review my extensive infertility records prior to our visit. Despite my going through IVF elsewhere 6 prior times (I had moved from another state), he went the basics of IVF with me. He did not provide any personalized care and I felt he was reciting a script that he uses for all his patients, but especially for first time IVF'ers. He was a poor communicator and I would not recommend at all.... He had not even reviewed my records beforehand.
2 IUI, 7 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Dr. Sanfilippo was not knowledgeable compared to other RE's that I have worked with. He was not compassionate or willing to take ownership of his patients. It was a very impersonal visit with him reciting what seemed like a script. He had not even reviewed my records beforehand. It was an overall terrible experience. I would never do an IVF cycle with him or his staff. I had a special request, and they were unable to make any accommodations despite the circumstances. They definitely did not show any compassion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Go elsewhere if you can.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
He did not take the time to review my extensive infertility records prior to our visit. Despite my going through IVF elsewhere 6 prior times (I had moved from another state), he went the basics of IVF with me. He did not provide any personalized care and I felt he was reciting a script that he uses for all his patients, but especially for first time IVF'ers. He was a poor communicator and I would not recommend at all.
Describe the protocols Joseph Sanfilippo used in your cycles at UPMC Magee and their degree of success.
He gave me very generic recommendations, and did not provide specifics at our consultation because he did not even formulate a plan.
Nursing was highly variable. I will say that I had one good experience with a nurse, who was kind and compassionate. However, more of my interactions were negative where the nurses made it feel like I was bothering them. They were not knowledgeable and felt they were disorganized. They were slow to call back, and sometimes never called back.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
I have cycled 2 other places for IVF, and would NOT recommend this clinic. They lacked compassion and knowledge. They may be ok for someone trying IVF for the first time. However, be prepared to advocate for yourself and play phone tag with the staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee.
Describe Joseph Sanfilippo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UPMC Magee.

2016 - 2019
Dr. Sanfilippo has amazing bedside manner. ... He also will go over your history at each visit to make sure HE stays caught up on changes and refreshes his memory for any specifics to you and your case. ... He takes the time needed at EACH visit to go over everything and always makes sure he answers any questions you have. He sees hundreds and it's refreshing to know he always has YOU on his mind during your visit.
2016 - 2019
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Dr. Sanfilippo has amazing bedside manner. He takes the time needed at EACH visit to go over everything and always makes sure he answers any questions you have. He also will go over your history at each visit to make sure HE stays caught up on changes and refreshes his memory for any specifics to you and your case. He sees hundreds and it's refreshing to know he always has YOU on his mind during your visit.
Listen to him. He knows what he's doing. Do all the tests, they ARE necessary and he will find a treatment plan suited to you and your needs. He has a positive pregnancy test as his main goal when it is yours.
Dr. Sanfilippo is always very attentive to us. He sees hundreds of patients and had never treated us like a number. He realizes that each case and couple are unique and different in their needs/treatment and you can see he truly believes it.
First you will have a sit down consultation with him and potentially one of his partners. He will go over your previous history and what you wish to accomplish in his care. He orders a full panel of blood work depending on your case (you'll also find out your blood type!). He then ordered a sonohysterogram (SHG) to check on uterus health. From there, he ordered a Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check on Fallopian tubes and more detailed uterus health. After all results, he goes over them with you during a follow up and together you make a plan of treatment. He then prescribed timed intercourse with either clomid or letrozole. We would do a few treatments of that and if nothing worked, we would do some monitored cycles with ultrasounds and continue from there.
The ladies in the office are always pleasant. They are organized and get everything situated before you're called back so that you may see your doctor as soon as they're able.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
If you have infertility, this is a GREAT place to get answers. They are amazing all around. I have never had a bad experience there and I see them quite often. You are not a number and you should never be treated like one. Don't settle for less than you deserve.
Costs are average to above average for infertility treatments. He bills appropriately, it really depends on your insurance and what is covered. This is not his fault.
Magee

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee.

Anovulation, PCOS, Other
When we started this process i was diganosed [by Dr. Sanfilippo] with endometrial hyperplasia with atypia. So I had to go see the oncologist before we could move on with my fertility treatment. After treatment for my precancer and lots of biopsies I got the ok to go back to the fertility treatments but only have 6 months to try...He goes though everything and explains everything that needs to be done, hes never in a rush to get to the next patient and always makes dure we understand evevything...
Anovulation, PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
He goes though everything and explains everything that needs to be done, hes never in a rush to get to the next patient and always makes dure we understand evevything. But its not just Dr. Sanfilipo but his entire staff that works together, if we have questions we cab call anytime and get an answer that same day, and we always have lots of questions. If tests need to be completed they always have room for us. The entire staff if so caring and we definitely aren't just a number in the patient world, we are there to help make our dream come true of having a baby and he is there to do everything in his power to make it happen. When we started this process i was diganosed with endometrial hyperplasia with atypia. So I had to go see the oncologist before we could move on with my fertility treatment. After treatment for my precancer and lots of biopsies I got the ok to go back to the fertility treatments but only have 6 months to try. This would be an absolute dream for us to get this grant and make our dreams come true.
Ask questions, they are there to give you the answers your looking for.
The entire staff tgere is so caring, and explains everything in great detail.
The nurses are always going above and beyond for us. When I call with questions they always have the reassuring answer for us.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
As a patient I have been extremely happy with everything about this facility, not only did he find my precancer but treated it and I'm now on my way to fertility treatments.
We recieved a paper with all the costs the day we went in for our fertility treatment, everything was very clear, yet, very expensive.

2004 - 2016
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
When I would meet with him [Dr. Sanfilippo], he always had a good handle of my diagnosis and never confused me with other patients. He never seemed rushed to leave and move on to his next appointment. He is always willing to listen and answer all of my questions...I'm 29 with diminished ovarian reserve as a result of multiple surgeries to remove ovarian cysts..., I was told that my chances of success with a second IVF were less than 10%, but he understood I was still young so he would be willing to try again if I wanted to. He said it was time to start thinking about donor eggs as the alternative. I ended up deciding to use donor eggs and we are in this process right now.
2004 - 2016
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
He answers all of your questions honestly and without judgement. He is always willing to explain his thought process behind his choice of treatment. He's shown compassion when I've shown signs of pain during a procedure.
Don't be afraid to ask him anything and everything.
When I would meet with him, he always had a good handle of my diagnosis and never confused me with other patients. He never seemed rushed to leave and move on to his next appointment. He is always willing to listen and answer all of my questions.
I'm 29 with diminished ovarian reserve as a result of multiple surgeries to remove ovarian cysts. We started with IUI since I was still young, but Sanfilippo made it clear he thought IVF would be our best bet. The IUIs failed.I was told to be cautiously optimistic once it was time for IVF. He chose a protocol designed for poor responders, but it didn't work. My cycle was canceled due to low response. Next, I was told that my chances of success with a second IVF were less than 10%, but he understood I was still young so he would be willing to try again if I wanted to. He said it was time to start thinking about donor eggs as the alternative. I ended up deciding to use donor eggs and we are in this process right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UPMC Magee. (Assigned nurse: Marti )
My care coordinators were always very accessible and available to answer my questions via email or phone.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Strengths- they treat a lot of patients with complex diagnoses. They are honest about success rates and available options. They are willing to let you take lead on treatment if you really feel strongly. Weaknesses- communicationing with your doctor directly is very limited. They treat a lot of patients so beyond your care coordinator, most staff may not remember you.
A single IVF cycle was around $12,000 plus medication. Donor IVF was $16,000 plus medication.

2013 - 2014
Dr. Sanfilippo made sure to give details about your procedure and had a good bedside manner...He took into account all of our prior history and agreed that our best course of action was IVF. The only negative I have to say about Dr. Sanfilippo is his support staff is not good or organized which made our experience at the facility negative... listens to your concerns and will put you on a path that is specific to your needs. He did listen when we told him that we had been doing fertility treatments for years and just wanted to go straight into IVF without having to do anymore IUIs or medication cycles.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Dr. Sanfilippo was a great doctor who was unfortunately surrounded a poor support staff. Dr. Sanfilippo made sure to give details about your procedure and had a good bedside manner. We unfortunately had a lot of bad experiences at UPMC, but Dr. Sanfilippo was the only reason we kept going back. If Dr. Sanfilippo was at any other clinic, we wouldn't hesitate to see him again.
Dr. Sanfilippo listens to your concerns and will put you on a path that is specific to your needs. He did listen when we told him that we had been doing fertility treatments for years and just wanted to go straight into IVF without having to do anymore IUIs or medication cycles. He took into account all of our prior history and agreed that our best course of action was IVF. The only negative I have to say about Dr. Sanfilippo is his support staff is not good or organized which made our experience at the facility negative.
There were so many nurses on staff nobody had any idea who you were even though I was in the clinic all the time. If you wanted to get in contact with a nurse, you had to call the "nurses line" and leave a message and wait for a call back from whichever nurse decided to call. The nurses never knew who you were, so if you don't keep detailed notes on your cycle, medication, ultrasounds, etc., the probability of the nurses knowing where you are in your cycle is slim.
Dr. Sanfilippo suggested IVF with menopur and follistem injections. I was monitored with ultrasounds and bloodwork. The support staff (nurses) didn't perform an ultrasound and kept using an old one to determine future protocols. Once I realized what was going on, I brought it to their attention and they immediately got me in for a "fresh" ultrasound to monitor.
There were a ton of nurses on the nursing staff that made it difficult to ever see the same nurse twice. In my experience, the nursing staff was very unorganized and sometimes wouldn't even look at your chart before they spoke to you.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic is clean and capable of providing adequate care. Our experience there is not a good one. During our IVF, we had 31 eggs retrieved, 20 were mature and only 1 fertilized. The clinic didn't perform ICSI and at the time I had no idea what that was. I didn't fee like they were very aggressive in their approach.
My husband and I had a ton of bloodwork done and the cost was really high. The IVF was very expensive, but probably around the same as the national average.
Dr. Sanfilippo was willing to do a multiple embryo transfer, however I only had one embryo to transfer.
Magee

Dr. Sanfilippo was extremely thorough in explaining every step of the process for IUI's and IVF. He may have been a little more clinical in how he handled things but he always had our best interest in mind. He would also take into consideration our thoughts or requests during each cycle. When we found that we were receiving conflicting information from the time of our appointments to the time the nurses would call us with protocols my husband and I were ready to change doctors. When Dr. Sanfilippo found out about this he called me directly to address my concerns and we did not have a problem after that...
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Going into the appointment, know that he is very detailed in clinical terms.
It was more with the nurses not being on the same page as Dr. S.. When this would happen I would get conflicting information which then made me feel like my specific case was not being taken into consideration. From this, I felt like I was receiving generic treatment.
For the first IVF cycle we went with the lowest dose of medication which resulted in only 1 embryo that made it to freeze. For the second IVF, Dr. Sanfilippo increased the medication which resulted in 6 frozen embryos that made it to freeze. Unfortunately I do not remember the amounts of each medication.
Initially, the biggest problem we ran into was that we were not receiving the protocol for what we had discussed with the doctors. After that was addressed we did not run into any problems and each cycle was run extremely well without issue.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic in general runs really well. As long as you are prepared for what can be a long road, the staff can become like a second family to you. After being with this clinic for awhile you get very spoiled in the fact that you get all your blood work on site as well as calls back each day with results. All retrievals and transfers are done in the same office as well which is nice because you work with the same faces that you have become familiar with. The only thing that was frustrating at times is that if you need to call the nurse line for a quick question, you have to leave a message and wait for a call back every time.
Before insurance each ultrasound was around $500. Medications for an IVF cycle were around $4,000 before insurance. A total IVF cycle with medications, retrieval, transfer is around $14,000 - $15,000 before insurance. Frozen embryo storage is around $500 per year.
Magee

Dr. S [Sanfilippo] clearly has a very busy schedule. My partner and I felt very rushed through our consultation and did not get thorough answers to any of our questions. I felt like rather than explaining treatment options to me and tailoring treatment to me as an individual, we were given binders and pamphlets to review on our own-with no opportunity for follow up....Dr. S does not have a very warm bedside manner and doesn't do a great job of listening or providing individualized care.
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Dr. S does not have a very warm bedside manner and doesn't do a great job of listening or providing individualized care. He comes across as very skilled, but as a new patient, I felt lost and like I was bothering him to ask questions or take up his time.
Have a list of questions ready and do your research PRIOR to an appointment.
Dr. S clearly has a very busy schedule. My partner and I felt very rushed through our consultation and did not get thorough answers to any of our questions. I felt like rather than explaining treatment options to me and tailoring treatment to me as an individual, we were given binders and pamphlets to review on our own-with no opportunity for follow up.
All of the nurses are kind and compassionate. It can be very hard to get ahold of someone and even if you leave a message, they often do not get back to you for several days.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic is located in a womans hospital, which is a welcoming atmosphere. They made a few errors with my treatment; forgetting medicines, poor or misleading instructions, allergies, etc. They also struggle with timely and clear communication. Again, they're very busy and it causes some issues.
Still adding them up

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Great experience with Dr Sanfillipo. He shows compassion and takes his time explaining everything. He explains things in ways for someone not in the medical field can understand, which I've found some doctors have difficulty doing. He took his time and listened to all of my questions and concerns. I never felt like I was asking a dumb question...Dr S took his time to explain every detail of our diagnosis and our best options. He was not in a rush to get out of the door. He was there to answer all questions and was very compassionate towards us
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Great experience with Dr Sanfillipo. He shows compassion and takes his time explaining everything. He explains things in ways for someone not in the medical field can understand, which I've found some doctors have difficulty doing. He took his time and listened to all of my questions and concerns. I never felt like I was asking a dumb question. Yes, our first round was not successful but had nothing to do with him. My body did not respond the way we were hoping. We liked him so much we are sticking with him for round two.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand. He will take the time to explain everything.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Be prepared to leave messages with every phone call. It's better to leave detailed messages so they can have answers for you when they return the call.
Medications were 4K IVF was 12k My insurance does not cover fertility treatments.

2010 - 2011
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Depending on the fellow assisting Dr. Sanfilippo I felt more like a human. However, the entire proves was very much impersonal.... liked that he was honest, but did not like that my multiple miscarriages could not be explained as all my tests came back normal. Eventually, only after going through IVF treatment did we discover that the issue was Luteau Phase Defect and that the solution was simply to inject myself during the first trimester of pregnancy with progesterone.
2010 - 2011
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
I liked that he was honest, but did not like that my multiple miscarriages could not be explained as all my tests came back normal. Eventually, only after going through IVF treatment did we discover that the issue was Luteau Phase Defect and that the solution was simply to inject myself during the first trimester of pregnancy with progesterone. It was a lot of heartache to reach this conclusion, but ultimately I am now a mother of 1 and 9 months pregnant with my second. Both naturally conceived and maintained by injecting progesterone during the first 13 weeks of pregnancy.
Leave no stone unturned, the simplest of solutions could be overlooked by the providers as they tend to focus so much on the more complicated factors.
Depending on the fellow assisting Dr. Sanfelippo I felt more like a human. However, the entire proves was very much impersonal.
There is a large nursing staff used by a number of doctors. They tend to get to know the pacients and as they do they warm up to us, but it takes a while.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic is located at Magee. It is clean and easy to access.
The costs are expensive, but luckily my insurance covered most of it.
Magee

He [Dr. Joseph Sanfilippo] was very kind and addressed our concerns;however, there was lack of communication between the doctor and nurses. He only met with us for two consultations. I had 3 IUIs and several tests and he was not there for any IUI and did not call to go over and test results...He spoke to us and addressed our specific concerns...There are many instances of poor management and communication.
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
He was very kind and addressed our concerns;however, there was lack of communication between the doctor and nurses. He only met with us for two consultations. I had 3 IUIs and several tests and he was not there for any IUI and did not call to go over and test results.
Document everything
He spoke to us and addressed our specific concerns.
There was a lot of miscommunication. We felt extremely frustrated. Nobody seemed to know what was going on.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
Extremely poorly run. Went for a 2:30 HSG and they didn’t “put me on the schedule “. I drove two hours and had to wait until 4 for the procedure and the Dr didn’t even do it. I had shingles and called to find out how long I had to wait before our next IUI and the nurse said she’d “ Google it.” There are many instances of poor management and communication.

Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Joseph Sanfilippo] has good bedside manner and did treat us with much respect. I feel like he didn’t look into much more than it’s just unexplained infertility. After my Ivf failed and I miscarried the response was it was just bad luck we should try again. But we simply couldn’t afford it.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
He has good bedside manner and did treat us with much respect. I feel like he didn’t look into much more than it’s just unexplained infertility. After my Ivf failed and I miscarried the response was it was just bad luck we should try again. But we simply couldn’t afford it.
The nurses were rude and not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
The clinic does have an acupuncturist who is amazing and a great help to have on this journey. Appointments are typically early and there isn’t much wait times for lab draws and ultrasounds. The front desk staff can be rather rude.
Around 15k for Ivf and 2500 for each iui
Pittsburgh

We met with [Dr. Joseph Sanfilippo] only twice and I dealt with the nurses most of the time during my procedures and treatment...took time to explain my diagnosis and gave me the treatment options. He gave me time to ask all my questions and heard what I said and cleared all my doubts...I have PCOS and I was suggested to try Aggresive Letrozole IUI as it was the effective one
How was your experience with Joseph Sanfilippo at UPMC Magee?
Joseph Sanfilipo took time to explain my diagnosis and gave me the treatment options. He gave me time to ask all my questions and heard what I said and cleared all my doubts. I met him only twice and I dealt with the nurses most of the time during my procedures and treatment.
Ask lot of questions. Don't hesitate in clearing your doubts. He will give you time to ask all your questions. Be prepared with all your questions before the appoinment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UPMC Magee.
We met with Joseph Sanfilippo only twice and I dealt with the nurses most of the time during my procedures and treatment. They were so compassionate. When I have any questions I give them a call and they called me back within 1-2 hours from my call and clarify all my doubts.
Describe your experience with UPMC Magee.
I went to UPMC Maggee Clinic and they were very good in taking care of the patients. I was treated good. Appointments were scheduled properly. I didnt have any mess up in that. Not much wait time. You have a self check in option and not much wait time