University of Utah

Doctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU of Minnesota
ResidencyU of Missouri
FellowshipU of Missouri
South Jordan
5126 W. Daybreak Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
801-213-4500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Stanford to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.7
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Utah to a friend?
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Stanford remembered us from appointment to appointment. He takes very good notes so that helps for not having to repeat our medical records every appointment. He recommended to follow the Mediterranean diet and not only focus on my fertility but in my health in general. He explained all treatments in detail and e-mail via MyChart web links for extra information and for me to do personal research.
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford told us at our first appointments what could be the possible causes of our infertility and he did all tests in order to rule out one by one the causes. He tried different medications as new problems were showing up and went from low to high impact treatment and drug dose. I like to do things by the book and Dr. Stanford was a perfect match for me. He and his team are very communicative, would answer questions the following day and even call on weekends to follow up. He is compassion and sympathetic. When in need to schedule for a ultrasound on a Saturday or Sunday he would work around our own schedule.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Stanford treatments can take a bit too long so you need to ask about all the options to treat your diagnose and push for higher drug's dose or faster treatment but he will always try to get down to the root of the problem and try his best to solve it. I was with him for 2 years and I think I should have look for a second opinion after the first year or year and a half. He did not suggest my husband to take any supplements which I think it could have help us a tinny bit if he has done it. All the studies and life style changes were focus on me and now I wish he had done something to improve my husbands numbers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Describe the protocols Joseph Stanford used in your cycles at University of Utah and their degree of success.
Dr. Stanford had me charting my cycles from the beginning which was tedious at the beginning but now I appreciate having all the information down in the charts with ultrasounds dates and blood test results. It's also 100% helpful to detect ovulation since I have PCOS and not ovulation was a possibility. He first did a hormonal panel to see my hormone levels and had me do a blood draw on day 3 of the cycle plus "day 21". After charting for few cycles he was able to detect some issues and started looking for solutions. Every month that I didn't get pregnant we tried something different. Firsts 5 cycles my mucus was not good so he suggested some supplements to improve mucus quality. He closely monitored my cycles with ultrasounds and/or blood test to detect ovulation. I did ovulate by myself all cycles. He found ovary cyst and suspected endometriosis. On the 5th cycle (with him) I had one of the cyst ruptured and he recommended a laparoscopy that I had on the 7th cycle. The following 6 cycles were supposed to be optimal for getting pregnant but it didn't happen. The laparoscopy did help with my periods pain. For about 4 cycles I had almost no pain but then I started with cramps again. On the 8th cycle, he put me on 200mg progesterone on my luteal phase since my levels were low. But that did not help a lot so 2 cycles later he gave me 400mg. On my 12th cycle I started to have mid-cycle spotting. A hysterosonogram showed no uterus polyps that could cause the spotting so on cycle 15 he put my husband and I on antibiotics (2 weeks for him 4 for me) in case was an infection. That stop the spotting for one cycle so then he put me on low doze Naltrexone around cycle 17. But this still did not solve the spotting. He repeated the hysterosonogram on cycle 22 since my periods were more painful and the spotting persist but came back all good. Although I was ovulating on my own we tried to improve ovulation with Letrozol (7.5mg once a month) starting on cycle 15. On cycle 19 I suffer from hyper-stimulation so Dr. lowered the dose on cycle 21 and 22. On cycle 23 I decided it was the last cycle with Dr. Stanford before moving on to assisted. We did a high dose of Letrozole closely monitored (as were ALL cycles) but we did not achieve a pregnancy.
I met with a nurse practitioner (Keri Katsun) who taught me how to chart and was always available to answer my questions and even advise me on the treatment that we were following with Dr. Stanford. We would meet every few months to check my chart and follow the instructions of the Creighton Model that Dr. Stanford follows. The nurses at the U are very kind and always welcome us with a smile and would remember what we talked about our personal life on previous appointments. They were good at scheduling follow up appointments.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
MyChart system is very good. It's easy to find information , communicate with the Dr., pay and all things involved with the treatment. For the first appointment I had to wait like 5 months but once I was a patient scheduling was very easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Stanford at University of Utah.
Since the whole treatment was due to my PCOS and endometriosis and Dr. Stanford is in network, everything was cover by my health insurance except for the monthly follow up fee that was charged when he revised my chart that I would send by e-mail and not see him in person that month.
SLC
Dr Stanford saw me in Dec 2016, he asked me to begin charting my cycle...His take on fertility takes a longer amount of time, but in the long run, he will get down to the problem and help you solve it....Dr. Joseph Stanford had me chart my cycles for two or three months, evaluated it along with my symptoms, and diagnosed me with Endometriosis...Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly...He is very personable and great to count on.
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Dr. Joseph Stanford had me chart my cycles for two or three months, evaluated it along with my symptoms, and diagnosed me with Endometriosis and pushed me to get a laparoscopy. I have it scheduled, and I am eagerly awaiting to see what my surgeon finds!
His take on fertility takes a longer amount of time, but in the long run, he will get down to the problem and help you solve it, instead of bypass the problem with test tubes and unnecessary meds.
Dr. Joseph Stanford would respond to my MyChart emails promptly, he called me after an appointment and asked if it was ok to order one more blood work test. He is very personable and great to count on.
Dr Stanford saw me in Dec 2016, he asked me to begin charting my cycle so he could get an idea of what my body was lacking. He says it is usually hormonal imbalances or blockages. I charted for two months, met with a nurse practitioner who specializes in teaching charting, and then we saw him Feb 8, 2017. He rated my cervical mucus as good, and based on my symptoms, said I had endometriosis and I should get a laparoscopy. Most traditional RE and OB doctors discourage laparoscopy, because of the risks, and he explained the risks, but he said the risks DO NOT outweigh the cons. I don't think I would have ever gotten a laparoscopy if it weren't for him. We will see the results and what they find!
They were happy and upbeat and showed appropriate support if something hard happened. I liked them.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
The location is in Daybreak, South Jordan Utah. Kind of for for me. Very nice brand new building. I hated the self check in - it took forever. Pretty low wait time our second appointment. Our first appointment we waited 40 minutes.
He changed his billing process while we were with him. He started billing things separately and billing for MyChart email questions, I think.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Stanford paid attention to every concern I had. He answered every question clearly and with compassion. He outlined what was happening, what would happen, and alternative plans if things went different than expected.... We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Joseph Stanford at University of Utah?
Trust the doctor, he knows what he is doing!
Dr. Stanford was very personal and took every concern I had very seriously. He was easy to reach and his staff were very helpful as well.
I had hormonal testing for a monitored cycle to check for imbalances including follicular tracking. We identified a luteal phase defect, poorly regulated cycles and not producing enough progesterone. I took progesterone in the luteal phase to prevent recurrent miscarriage. When I got pregnant again with the progesterone, I was able to carry my pregnancy instead of losing it early.
Describe your experience with University of Utah.
This clinic is very self sustaining within the University of Utah medical clinic, so much so that the switchboard was not always able to connect me to Dr. Stanford and they had trouble locating him in the system. It helps to have the direct line. Dr. Stanford is a specialty provider so he works with a unique methodology of care you would not be able to experience with any other provider at University of Utah and most other clinics.
The costs are minimal because they are associated with dealing with pre-existing reproductive health problems which are causing infertility. Since the treatment is focused on dealing with underlying health problems, my health insurance covered all my treatment.
Describe Joseph Stanford's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Utah.
This doctor does not perform IVF. He focuses on how to naturally achieve pregnancy without invasive procedures.