Medical SchoolU. of Kentucky
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Joseph Whelan to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 88%Don't recommend: 12%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend REACH to a friend?
I was so grateful that he [Dr. Whelan] was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control... He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
European, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
I'm so lucky that I was paired with Dr Whelan at my first visit to REACH! I honestly felt like I had done a ton of research on my PCOS condition before meeting with Dr Whelan, but he provided so much more information than I was able to find on my own online. I was so grateful that he was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control . My regular OB wanted me to just keep trying naturally to have a baby, even after diagnosing the PCOS, but luckily I used my gut instinct and made an appointment at REACH because we found out that we also had a male infertility factor at play, and some of my hormones were so off the chart, that conceiving naturally just wouldn't have been an option. He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He loves to talk. So make time in your schedule. Don't be rushed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
When you get your office time with the Doctor himself, he is very thorough with you and doesn't seemed rushed to get to his next patient. He covers everything in so much more detail than you could find online. His bedside manner is such that he doesn't seem like he's babying you too much, but will give it to you straight.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
IVF with Frozen egg transfer and ICSI Prescribed Gonal-F (150units to start then upped to 225 for the last 3 days), Cetrotide (used 6 boxes), and HCG (20ml). Ended up with 31 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Two: Veronica and Melissa)
Dr Whelan had two nurses that I saw regularly, Veronica and Melissa. Veronica I saw more before we started the actual IVF procedures, as Melissa is Dr Whelan's IVF nurse. She always called when she said she would, always checked up when she said she would, provided great communication and assistance when needed (issue with billing).
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths - Dr Whelan, availability, location, good communication between Doctors and Nursing team Weaknesses - BILLING DEPARTMENT! If you look up any reviews online, all the negative ones are related to billing. Honestly, I'm still so confused about my standings with this company's billing department. It doesn't help that their billing department is not located here for me to just talk to someone, and my Financial Counselor was little help. The put a rush on you to pay for treatments to begin, which doesn't leave any time for your insurance company to get squared away with their existing claims. They tried to get me to overpay by almost $1000 for my services because their information on how much of my deductible I had already met was severely off. So instead they just said, just pay the "non-billable" portion and we'll get started. So I did. Then I requested an updated bill for my IVF cycle and they said, we'll just bill you at the end. I've asked twice now for the total cost so I can just pay it outright and they won't do it. They double billed me for my first visit and I paid the portion it said I owed. Then the insurance company ended up paying it and we were supposed to get a refund check, which I told them was fine if they wanted to just put it as a credit on the account, but I'm not sure that even happened. After I hear back about my first egg retrieval I'll be calling them again to get a detailed account report to explain where we stand.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
The monitoring portion experience was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd go in right when they'd open and have only a few people in front of me in line, and sometime's I'd go in and there'd be 25 people there. They only see people from 7-9 (sometimes I was quoted 8:30) to ensure they get same day results back (which I understand), but they should have more staff available to get people in and out. With my job, sometimes I didn't have the option to be at work past 8am, which made it difficult. My first visit I got there around 7:20 (as I thought they opened at 7:15) and didn't make it to work until 8:40am. They do things so quickly that I wish they had a little more time to be more personable about your visit. On my 13th day of stimulants,I was greeted by the same limp-wristed handshake of a PA and her standardized questions ("How are you today? I'm ____ and I'll be doing your ultrasound today. How are the medications going?"), and at that point, I just felt like crying. I didn't feel like a person but a number, and I was already stressed and uninformed about why I was not ready for my trigger shot for egg retrieval, and the fact that she didn't even pretend to remember who I was, since I had just seen her less than 24 hours before, was frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
My insurance coverage is 90/10 after a $1500 deductible. I spent almost $1200 out of my HRA account for all of my visits before even starting the first IVF cycle. I was originally quoted around $2900 for my out of pocket portion, including a $1K non-billable piece. However, what I was quoted as my coinsurance and remaining deductible was not correct. It should have been more around $1900. At this point, instead of correcting it before making the payment to start my treatment, they told me to just pay the $1K non-billable and they'll bill the rest, so I'll just owe a balance at the end. I was encouraged to pay for my medications out of pocket versus using insurance as they'd likely jack up the price on the meds, and I only have a $15K lifetime maximum on infertility treatments. The total cost of my medications was $2400 purchased from SMP Pharmacy.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Whelan always listens to me and takes my concerns and feelings into consideration. He doesn’t try to sugar coat things but he isn’t blunt about it. He treats me like a human and wants to do what I want to do when it comes to treatment...We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones...Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me...He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He knows what he’s talking about. If he says IVF is your best bet, he’s not out to get your money. He told us we could continue to try IUI and we would hopefully get pregnant eventually if that’s the way we wanted to go but that IVF was really what I needed and he was right.
Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me, even if I am not actively going through fertility treatments, to discuss my concerns about future cycles or what has gone wrong with past cycle
We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones. He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system and I would likely not get pregnant. We did a freeze all and went back on birth control to start a FET and managed to get pregnant the first FET round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa, our primary nurse, is a truly calming force and a wonderful nurse. She always takes time to talk to me when I’m stressed or have questions and never makes me feel like I’m too needy. Speaking to her is always reassuring to me. However, lately she has not been the nurse I have been dealing with. I will get calls from OTHER doctor’s nurses who I feel don’t really know who I am and are just reading off of papers. It’s almost never the same nurse so I constantly feel like I have to explain what was told to me by someone else to get questions answered. And one time, a nurse forgot to call me with instructions until I called looking for them because she is not my doctors nurse. If Melissa is no longer Dr. Whelan’s main nurse, they need to hire a new one that is just for his team so the communication gets better.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths are my doctor and his team. They are clearly very skilled and reliable. Weakness is having to recently deal with nurses who do not work directly with my doctor. The communication seems to be lacking and I’d prefer to only deal with my doctors nursing team.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments take place between 7 and 9am. It’s first come, first serve and the appointments are pretty quick and easy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
I do not remember my egg retrieval costs but my last FET was approximately $7500
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My first FET, I had been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half with no success, not even a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Whelan knew how desperate we were to get pregnant and allowed us to transfer two embryos despite being 25 at the time. This past FET cycle, he said I could choose again whether to do two embryos or an eSET and I choose eSET as I now have a living child and was not as comfortable with the prospect of twins. This cycle was unsuccessful and our next FET we will be transferring two again, with his blessing
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. Our experience with Dr. Whelan was that at times we may have had to wait a bit to see him, but he would spend as much time with us as we needed. His approach is very factual and realistic, which my husband and I appreciated...many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
If you are a patient at REACH, do not expect to see your primary doctor once you start monitoring as they work as a team on rotation for monitoring. Your primary doctor will perform your embryo transfers and other procedures but may not perform your egg retrieval depending on your scheduled retrieval date. In addition, most of your communication once you start your cycle will go through your nursing team.
When ever we met with Dr. Whelan, both my husband and I were satisfied with our experience. Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. My feeling is because REACH is such a busy practice, many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person. Additionally, at times the nurse coordinators weren't completely informed of our discussions with Dr. Whelan which would at times lead to confusion about the plan of treatment.
IVF cycle # 1: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 10 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI, At time of Day 5 transfer, only 1 early blastocyst and 1 morula remained; both were transferred. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo resulting in miscarriage at approximately 9 weeks. IVF cycle #2: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, omnitrope (for entire stim cycle), cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 14 eggs retrieved (all 14 mature) and fertilized via ICSI. At Day 5, 2 hatching blastocysts were transferred. 2 were watched for continued growth but arrested and were not frozen. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
The nursing staff at REACH was available via the portal or triage line and responsive. You will be assigned a primary team based on your physician, however, at times you may be contacted by other staff. Melissa and Veronica work primarily with Dr. Whelan and would always respond to my questions (even small ones) within the same day. Melissa is very organized and in fact, during our first cycle, Dr. Whelan advised we could start the process the same day we were in for a follow up appointment. She worked in my saline sonogram, consent review, lab work, injection training and ordered meds all while we were in the office that day so that we didn't have to come back or delay the cycle. We were extremely grateful she made it work for us!
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH is a very busy clinic. They primarily use an online portal for communication which can be accessed at any time and is efficient. Once you start a cycle, your appointments are very regimented. REACH does have an onsite surgery clinic and IVF lab so most of your procedures will be done there. The staff in the onsite surgery facility are awesome and so caring. My main challenge was with the billing department as the invoices do not contain details of what is being billed; however, this improved throughout our time at REACH.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments will be done from 7-10am and you can go in at any time during that window. If you arrive at 7am there will be a line but REACH is very efficient at moving people through who are there for monitoring. I did not feel that this approach ruined my schedule as I typically could get in and out very quickly first thing in the morning.
Charlotte
We started with Clomid the lowest dosage and ovidrel shot. He [Dr Joseph Whelan] mentioned that he started with the lowest dosage to try and control how many eggs were released and decrease the chance of multiples as best he could. I really appreciated this. We did 3 IUIs which was what he recommended before IVF. Fortunately we were successful with the 3rd IUI. With Each IUI he adjusted the timing of the shot and IUI procedure in accordance with the information he gathered from blood tests.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Dr. Whelan was a great doctor. He explained the science behind everything and outlined what to expect each time we saw him. I would say if you are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear, that would not be him. He tells you the facts in a professional and compassionate way, and communicated the understanding as to what he thought. He was a great doctor and made me feel extremely comfortable to leave my care in his hands.
Ask questions if you do not understand. He will explain things until you understand them.
He explained all of the science behind the treatments. And also explained that each treatment was diagnostic and we learn from each one. He set expectations appropriately and answered all of my questions so that I could understand.
We started with Clomid the lowest dosage and ovidrel shot. He mentioned that he started with the lowest dosage to try and control how many eggs were released and decrease the chance of multiples as best he could. I really appreciated this. We did 3 IUIs which was what he recommended before IVF. Fortunately we were successful with the 3rd IUI. With Each IUI he adjusted the timing of the shot and IUI procedure in accordance with the information he gathered from blood tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica Bennett)
Veronica was amazing. She made me feel extremely comfortable and guided me through the process with compassion and humor. She was such a blessing.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Reach was Amazing. I always joked that they deal with women who are on a lot of hormones so they have to be sensitive. But they went above and beyond for me. At one point I was supposed to have a Ovidrel shot on a Sunday and unfortunately the mail order pharmacy messed up and i didn't get it. Reach went out of their way to find the Pharmaceutical rep and made them bring what i needed to my house! And this was the cycle that was successful. So if it hadn't been for the amazing staff at Reach providing amazing service, I wouldn't have had my son.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
It was expensive and we had insurance that helped pay 80% after a deductible. But they work with you to figure out what you can do. They were really helpful in making it somewhat affordable.
2013 - 2015
He [Dr. Joseph Whelan] has a good bedside manner. He was very informative and explained everything in detail so that we could understand it. He explained all of the procedures and reasons behind doing them. We never left feeling confused or let down.... Husband and I both were tested in the beginning. Husband’s sperm was tested for mobility. I had a dye test done on my uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries to make sure nothing was blocking the eggs from reaching the sperm. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We had been trying to conceive for 6 years prior. Dr. Whelan recommended IVF.
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He has a good bedside manner. He was very informative and explained everything in detail so that we could understand it. He explained all of the procedures and reasons behind doing them. We never left feeling confused or let down.
Try to be patient and understanding of why they perform the tests and procedures that they do. Ask lots of questions.
He was very knowledgeable and kind. Explained everything in detail. Never felt rushed. Good bedside manner.
They had very good bedside manners. Very compassionate. Very informative.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Very organized with the exception of the billing department. They waited too long to bill my insurance and I got a bill exactly one year later. Was not happy about it. Found out they also messed up the numbers on my file and then tried telling me that my insurance denied them. Not true.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
Don’t remember the costs. Insurance covered most of it. I think we paid $1500.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
He [Dr. Joseph Whelen] treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem...I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
Other, Prefer not to answer
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very knowledgeable but also very matter of fact! I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
To ask for a longer appointment
He treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem
We did four IUI's but I don't recall the medicine used except that I gave myself a shot in the stomach theee days straight
Everyone was very nice and compassionate.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths would be niceness but weakness's would be office flow of paperwork and organization. The financial lady is even a bit mean. Returning phone calls can be a nightmare
Charlotte
He [Dr. Joseph Whelan] took as much time as we needed to answer all our questions and made sure we understood the protocol...He was great at explaining what PCOS was and how it affected my health overall. He listened to our concerns and modified treatment as we went through the process. The only downside was he was usually running at least 45 minutes late...Plan on an extra hour or so for your appointment. He is very thorough which means he runs long on his appointments.
European, East Asian, South Asian
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He took as much time as we needed to answer all our questions and made sure we understood the protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa but I can’t remember her last name )
All the nurses were absolutely wonderful. They were so happy when we finally got pregnant.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The financial woman Diane was terrible. We almost did not proceed with Ivf because she was so incompetent. Luckily everyone else was great and we looked past it. All the doctors were great and I recommended this clinic to 2 couples and each have children through REACH.
Total $30,000
He recommended no more than 2.