7.1

Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

I don't think he [Dr. Whelan] could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient...he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own"
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they [REACH] had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He had too many patients and didn't take a one-on-one approach, he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own" and was recommending we look into donor eggs or embryos. I think he is fully capable and intelligent, but the treatments were a little to one size fits all. If you are a difficult case, I wouldn't recommend him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Get second opinions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
I don't think he could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
IVF cycle follistim, HGH, cetrotide and menopur. Only PIO to prep for a fresh transfer. He didn't share is rationale for that treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
There were many, I don't think I really knew any of them or that they really knew me. They were nice enough I guess, but had too many patients.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare. They have way too many patients, there were visits where I waited more than 2 hours to be seen. My doctor was even almost an hour late to my 7am surgery. Treatments are too generic, didn't feel like they took their time with me, they had to stick to a schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
It depended, so days were horrible and the wait was an hour or more, other days it wasn't bad. If I got there right when the doors opened it really didn't impact my day. Too many patients.
I don't remember costs.
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
We didn't have that discussion because we didn't have enough strong embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
They got dates incorrect for my treatment and I was traveling out of town. Luckily there was a fertility clinic I could go to where I was traveling to be monitored. They have sent me incorrect instructions on treatment or sent me someone else's treatment information.
Charlotte
Dr. Whelan met with us and was very explanatory, but he was very quick to diagnose that we should move straight to IVF. Our conversation felt surgical...There weren’t many instances where we had strong interaction with Dr. Whelan. He was polite, but we felt overwhelmed with information and like we were just one couple on the conveyer belt. We asked questions, but often the information that we received was confusing. It was hard to get a good understanding of what we were facing, and we never quite felt heard.
[REACH] is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system...The nursing staff was similar to Dr. Whelan— it felt clinical or surgical with the manner that they treated us. Not neglectful, but I didn’t feel well-served.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Do your research so that you know what questions you want to ask.
We had diagnostics run and the main result was that we had unexplained fertility. We were recommended to move to IVF.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
We had a copay each time we went and we paid for portions of several diagnostic tests.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We didn’t get our information from REACH when we transferred. I had some copies of information and I took pictures of the online system, which was the only way we had some of the info transferred.
Charlotte
He [Dr. Joseph Whelen] treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem...I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
Well they [nurses at REACH Charlotte] forgot to call in my prescription before my IUI's and also I called over five times to have my paperwork switched to my gyno with no response...Strengths would be niceness but weakness's would be office flow of paperwork and organization. The financial lady is even a bit mean. Returning phone calls can be a nightmare...We did four IUI's but I don't recall the medicine used except that I gave myself a shot in the stomach theee days straight
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very knowledgeable but also very matter of fact! I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
To ask for a longer appointment
He treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Everyone was very nice and compassionate.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Well they forgot to call in my prescription before my IUI's and also I called over five times to have my paperwork switched to my gyno with no response