Joseph Whelan

19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

1 patient review filtered by:

he [Dr. Joseph Whelan] explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered...He is very thorough and knowledgeable...He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response...My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job.
[The nurse at REACH is] always friendly and responsive...One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen..., my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital...Billing can be a pain...But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very thorough and knowledgeable. He will take the time to explain things. He will explain your options and give you time to decide what you want to do. He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Don't expect the warm and fuzziest, but expect honesty and answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Leading up to the visit, it can feel like you're a number, but once I get to talk to my doctor, he explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I have done monitored medicated cycles with Clomid 50 mg and an Ovidrel trigger shot. We chose this due to our budget. Currently in my second cycle. My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job. However, we did not result in a pregnancy. So far this round, I had two mature follicles before triggering and now we're waiting for results. The doctor told us it may take 3-5 rounds to get pregnant using this method.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica)
She's always friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It feels sterile when you first go and be prepared to talk about financing first. Billing can be a pain. And there have been some mix-ups at check-in for me like having me down for the wrong type of visit. But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
It's been about $220 plus $220 for meds each monitored medicated round. That includes ultrasound and copays. Before treatment, my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital.
What specific things went wrong at REACH?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen. I was also awaiting results. When I got a call back, they started to give me protocol info and then added to come in for an IUI. We weren't doing an IUI which I said right away. She apologized and acknowledged that was incorrect.
Joseph Whelan