6.8

Jovana Lekovich works in 1 office at

430 Albee Square
Brooklyn, NY 11242

2021, Unknown Success
[Dr. Lekovich] was cordial (if not exactly warm), and seemed very knowledgeable about the topic of fertility. She ordered the full workup of hormone testing and also performed one ultrasound...[she] didn't explain or provide much context for the genetic testing that she recommended - I would later learn that this was "expanded carrier testing" and considered elective/experimental by most health insurers, and thus not covered by insurance
my overall experience with RMA - Brooklyn was mixed. I had a solid experience with Dr. Lekovich, but I had some issues with the finance office and very limited contact with nursing staff, other than the doctor's assistant (nurse/PA)...Cons are a seeming lack of transparency and miscommunication in the clinic's billing practices. My experience in terms of scheduling and communication of test results was fine, if routine.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I saw Dr. Jovana Lekovich in April 2021, and explained to her that I wanted to get a full workup so that I could get a better idea of the state of my fertility, given that I was almost 35. She was cordial (if not that warm) and seemed very knowledgeable about the topic of fertility. She ordered the full workup of hormone testing and also performed one ultrasound (during the 1st visit). She told me that my egg reserve appeared normal and suggested another ultrasound in a 2- 3 weeks because there was something blocking her view of one of the fallopian tubes. During the 1st visit, she also discussed my family history and explain that lab tests done in a doctor's office are generally more reliable than at- home lab tests, which I had a few of prior to making this visit. One area where my experience fell short was the recommendation by the doctor to have genetic testing performed. She said that I should have genetic testing done (and when I asked her wasn't that only for pregnant women, she said that it was a good idea for everyone). Dr. Lekovich didn't explain or provide much context for the genetic testing that she recommended - I would later learn that this was "expanded carrier testing" and considered elective/experimental by most health insurers, and thus not covered by insurance. The only other thing that was off was the doctor's comment that maybe I wasn't trying hard enough to conceive. I felt that this was a bit presumptive but maybe that was just me. I feel that my overall experience with Dr. Lekovich was positive, if brief. She obviously has expertise with fertility topics and the various types of infertility and related medical conditions. While her bedside manner is a bit lacking, she is very intelligent and knowledgeable in the field of reproductive endocrinology, and that is what matters to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I would say to ask as many questions as you can about recommended tests or procedures, before agreeing to have them done. I would also say to not expect Dr. Lekovich to hold your hand at any point during the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I found RMA through searching my then - health insurer's website, and called them to make an appointment for a consultation. That part was straightforward enough. I saw Dr. Jovana Lekovich on a chilly weekday afternoon in April 2021, and explained to her that I wanted to get a full workup so that I could get a better idea of the state of my fertility, given that I was soon to be 35. She was cordial (if not exactly warm), and seemed very knowledgeable about the topic of fertility. She ordered the full workup of hormone testing and also performed one ultrasound (during the 1st visit). I saw her for one add'l visit after the initial consult - for another ultrasound. I gave this rating because 1) I felt like I wasn't treated particularly well by staff other than Dr. Lekovich and her assistant (a nurse/PA), and 2) Dr. Lekovich didn't explain or provide much context for the genetic testing that she recommended - I would later learn that this was "expanded carrier testing" and considered elective/experimental by most health insurers, and thus not covered by insurance. I received phone calls from different individuals at RMA with my lab test results after the 1st visit and to schedule my next visit after the 2nd visit, and I just got the feeling that I was just another call on their list that day.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Not applicable in my case -- I only had a consultation and lab testing.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I visited RMA twice in 2021 - in April for the initial consultation and then in May for an ultrasound. I had limited contact with nursing staff, however, I did have a positive experience with her assistant, a young nurse/PA, who drew my blood on the first visit. Other than my experience with the doctor's assistant, I received phone calls from different individuals at RMA with my lab test results after the 1st visit and to schedule my next visit after the 2nd visit. These interactions felt routine and I just got the feeling that I was just another call on their list that day.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I'd say that my overall experience with RMA - Brooklyn was mixed. I had a solid experience with Dr. Lekovich, but I had some issues with the finance office and very limited contact with nursing staff, other than the doctor's assistant (nurse/PA). Pros are obviously the endocrinologists and their expertise, and the nurses who care. Cons are a seeming lack of transparency and miscommunication in the clinic's billing practices. My experience in terms of scheduling and communication of test results was fine, if routine. The 2 individuals from RMA (nurses, I believe) who called me to communicate my results and to schedule the next visit sounded very indifferent and possibly even impatient. However, it was RMA's handling of billing that really sunk this experience. As mentioned earlier, RMA was an in-network provider for me. I received separate bills through my insurance - for each clinic visit, the lab tests, and for the genetic testing (Sema4). Everything was fine, except for the genetic testing, which my insurer had deemed "experimental" and so covered exactly 0%. Insurance subsequently billed me over $11K for this sole claim, which seemed outrageious. I communicated this to my finance coordinator and she said that it should be covered by insurance and requested a Letter of medical necessity to this end. I followed up with Aetna (insurance) and it would be > 2 weeks before they received this letter. Eventually, I got in contact with the genetic testing provider directly, via phone and email over the course of 3 months, and they explained that it isn't usually covered by insurance but that pursuant to an agreement they have with RMA, I should have received the contracted rate of $250, and not billed the full rate. I was finally able to resolve this issue in June/July 2021 by paying the provider directly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
Overall, testing and clinic visits came to < $750. Genetic testing = 250.
Describe Jovana Lekovich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Not applicable
Brooklyn

Dr. Lekovich was able to answer questions that I had in a kind and professional way . I love that she seems to know her patients by name even when she’s not in the examining room . My only gripe would be that she doesn’t answer emails when it’s sent . I ended up asking my question in person but it works have been nice to get a reply via email .... The antagonist protocal was used for my treatment . I used Gonal F, Menopur , Cetrotide along with trigger shots Lupton and Oviidrel. The idea was to increase the amount of eggs for a successful cycle . It worked ! Just hoping that a healthy embryo will be the result .
RMA is run efficiently . There are several locations in Manhattan , Brooklyn and Westchester so it’s convenient for people in various locations in the city . However the monitoring hours should be a bit more flexible . The strict monitoring hours makes it difficult to rearrange your schedule depending on the type of job you have .... The antagonist protocal was used for my treatment . I used Gonal F, Menopur , Cetrotide along with trigger shots Lupton and Oviidrel. The idea was to increase the amount of eggs for a successful cycle . It worked ! Just hoping that a healthy embryo will be the result .
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Have your questions ready to ask her . She is very quick to answer questions .
Dr. Lekovich was friendly and answered questions that I had regarding my care .
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Warm , compassionate and caring are some words that come to mind when thinking of the nursing staff . I was told at the last minute that I needed another medication exhausted od my bloodwork and I was panicking because I didn’t k ow how I’d get it in such a short space of time . Unfortunately , I don’t recall her name but she ended up giving me the medication and tried to calm me down . I was so appreciative of the kind gesture that was shown to me .
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were a pain because of my work schedule . I wished that the monitoring hours were more flexible .
My insurance covered some of my costs . The outstanding costs were mostly the ICSI ,PGS anesthesia and genetic testing .
Brooklyn

[Dr. Jovana Lekovich] checked in, followed up, and kept me informed throughout the process. During one cycle of retrieval I barely saw her and she made sure to reach out...Email is a good way to get ahold of her - the nurse can always connect you as well. She is forthright and will not sugar coat it - but does it warmly and with compassion...was warm, interested, and responsive.
While there was some lapses in communication [from the nurses at RMA of New York], overall they were responsive, fast to respond to inquiry - and if they needed to check with the doctor they got back to me as soon as possible. This is at the RMA of BK. The staff and nursing staff at the main RMA - were less helpful...didn't get the 5 day results at one point because they were waiting to see what happened on day 6 and 7 and no one informed me. That round did not go well and I had to call to find out at the end of day 7 because I had not heard anything.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
The doctor's strength and weaknesses cannot be conflated with the weaknesses of the clinic. The Doctor checked in, followed up, and kept me informed throughout the process. During one cycle of retrieval I barely saw her and she made sure to reach out.
While the clinic is definitely a 'by the number' clinic - Dr. Lekovich herself was warm, interested, and responsive.
I used Gonal F, Menopure and Cetrocide towards the end of the retrieval. I was also on Lovonox 60mg to prevent blood clots due to Factor 5. I can try to look back and provide more information but it was approx 2 menopure vials at night, 300mg gonal f in the mornings and that increased towards the end.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alissa)
While there was some lapses in communication, overall they were responsive, fast to respond to inquiry - and if they needed to check with the doctor they got back to me as soon as possible. This is at the RMA of BK. The staff and nursing staff at the main RMA - were less helpful.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The Brooklyn office is warm, faster, and generally smaller - making it a more ideal location. The main office on Madision Ave of RMA is a giant cog machine that routes people through as numbers not faces and it is a factory.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was morningtime before work. I was lucky enough to live walkable to the location. The phlebotomist at this location was the BEST - pain free, didn't leave marks, always quick. It took longer for the ultrasounds depending on what time you arrived, but never TOO long. The weekend hours were at the Madision Avenue location were a cluster and cattle call. Jam packed, call out your name large system. It was disappointing there were no hours at the BK location.
This is tricky, insurance initially denied. So the costs of that were 15,000 for the first round of retrieval. 6,000 for PGD/PGS. But then that got discounted because I did not do transfer, so the second round cost less. With insurance finally being fought and won. The PGD was not covered, but the co-insurance was only 1,500 per retrieval round. So for three rounds 4,500.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Just didn't get the 5 day results at one point because they were waiting to see what happened on day 6 and 7 and no one informed me. That round did not go well and I had to call to find out at the end of day 7 because I had not heard anything.
Brooklyn

Dr. Lekovich was great in terms of taking time to answer my questions and she was compassionate to my situation. I feel like what was not communicated to me was the possible outcomes after the retrieval in terms of what to expect regarding the number of eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized and how many may not be viable.... Due to my situation, she tried to be as aggressive as possible while being safe to retrieve enough eggs to give us options.
The nurses [RMA of New York] were great but the coordinator staff and reception is severely lacking. They are not one and the same. The coordinators tend to be very disorganized and are not proactive in managing your care. Be sure to ask questions and keep track of everything on your own as you'll need to cross-check their communication.... This clinic has great doctors and nursing staff. The facilities are also great and the pricing comparable to other places. The area of needed growth is in the coordinator team.
Ask what to expect.
She is very warm and remembered my personal situation when I was with her.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses were great but the coordinator staff and reception is severely lacking. They are not one and the same. The coordinators tend to be very disorganized and are not proactive in managing your care. Be sure to ask questions and keep track of everything on your own as you'll need to cross-check their communication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This clinic has great doctors and nursing staff. The facilities are also great and the pricing comparable to other places. The area of needed growth is in the coordinator team. They are often unavailable or appear to be frustrated with you anytime you have questions for them.
Approximately $18,000 for the cycle including $750 for anesthesia. Medications ranged an additional $5000-6000.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?

2019, Consult
I found it very comforting that she [Dr. Jovana Lekovich] was sympathetic with my apprehension regarding the ultrasound exam...I think that she was able to explain the realistic expectations that I could have regarding potential success of a cycle...I feel that I was provided with the information that I was seeking, and advised of the next steps...I am only looking to freeze my eggs at this stage.
I feel that they [RMA of New York] are helpful in scheduling appointments as well as making themselves available by phone/email. I would prefer additional follow up in terms of getting additional information about the insurance coverage for medications...I found the nurse helpful in providing support during my ultrasound exam...I am only looking to freeze my eggs at this stage.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I found it very comforting that she was sympathetic with my apprehension regarding the ultrasound exam, and even had her nurse hold my hand during the procedure. I think that she was able to explain the realistic expectations that I could have regarding potential success of a cycle.
Be prepared to hear honest feedback about the potential that you have for success in a future cycle.
I was only seen for a consult, did not yet begin a cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I found the nurse helpful in providing support during my ultrasound exam.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I feel that they are helpful in scheduling appointments as well as making themselves available by phone/email. I would prefer additional follow up in terms of getting additional information about the insurance coverage for medications.
So far, I have only been seen for a consult. For the consult, I was covered by my insurance with only a small copay. However, I am not covered for a cycle or medications, and those will be full cost out of pocket.
We did not discuss, as I am only looking to freeze my eggs at this stage.
NY - Eastside

She [Dr. Lekovich] is very professional, which could be interpreted as being a little bit cold. She is courteous and explains everything in detail, with technical terms and “common”, more understandable terms. I didn’t have to wait too long to see her and she is also available over the phone. ... We are trying IVF. The chances are low but she is willing to try. She will take all the steps to try to make it happen.
The office [RMA of New York] is in a good location and the hours are convenient. They are also open on weekends. The office is pretty clean. The waiting time is not too long. It is easy to schedule an appointment. The staff is very nice and helpful. ... She [Dr. Lekovich] will lab-test the embryo before the transfer, to ensure the embryo is good. ... Very pleasant and helpful. She [nurse] answered all my questions and replied to my emails very fast.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
She is very professional, which could be interpreted as being a little bit cold. She is courteous and explains everything in detail, with technical terms and “common”, more understandable terms. I didn’t have to wait too long to see her and she is also available over the phone.
Ask questions. She can be very technical.
The Dr was personal and explained my situation and my options in a very clear manner.
I didn’t start the treatment yet. We are trying IVF. The chances are low but she is willing to try. She will take all the steps to try to make it happen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Estephany Jimenez)
Very pleasant and helpful. She answered all my questions and replied to my emails very fast.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The office is in a good location and the hours are convenient. They are also open on weekends. The office is pretty clean. The waiting time is not too long. It is easy to schedule an appointment. The staff is very nice and helpful.
Approximately $35,000
She will lab-test the embryo before the transfer, to ensure the embryo is good.