Medical SchoolLoyola U.
212-263-7629
NY - W 52nd
355 West 52nd Street
212-263-0040
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kara Goldman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU to a friend?
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Goldman] also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey...smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU?
Dr. Goldman is smart and patient. She walks me thru every step and every outcome. She is direct but kind, and in my case has been cautiously optimistic, which is just what I need to push thru the IUI efforts. When I have asked for additional testing, she and her team provided it as well as analysis of the results. She also hears me when I am weighing the costs of IVF vs continuing to do IUIs, and never pressures me about IVF. She is wonderfully steady, warm, upbeat and quick to laugh - every single attribute I personally need on this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Goldman at NYU?
Be honest with her. Tell her all of your concerns and the circumstances that are affecting your life in the process, as they relate to the process. For example I had a myomectomy 12 months ago and have a major concern for the medications to increase the return of uterine fibroids. She and her team have been monitoring my fibroids along the way and been thoughtful about my medications. Since I am single and pursuing this on my own, I was also upfront about the costs that I can bear and those that I can't. While she is direct with me about the best possible outcomes I NEVER feel bullied into procedures that I cannot afford. She is truly wonderful.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Goldman at NYU?
Dr. Goldman is thoughtful and professional, honest and warm. This business is all a mixed bag: good numbers, science mingling with miracles, data on donors, genetic testing, but through it all Dr. Goldman and her team speak to me and my life and my choices as if I am their only patient.
Describe the protocols Kara Goldman used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
1) Testing everything: all bloods, genetic testing, mammogram, cancer genetic testing, donor counseling (SO IMPORTANT), Hysteogram (spelling?, but the fallopian tube test), sperm donor genetic testing. Once everything was good, then IUIs. 2) First attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (19, 20 and 22mm), trigger shot. Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Second attempt: 100 mg of Clomid, day 3 of cycle to day 7. Then u/s and bloods, three follicles (17, 23, 24mm), trigger shot Ovidrel. Bloods one week later to test progesterone, result "as perfect as can be." Return next day for IUI. Negative pregnancy. Third attempt: will follow protocol, after a one cycle break.
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
They are amazing, all incredibly thoughtful, warm and capable women. All encouraging of the process and mindful of all the components involved (billing, meds, travel to the clinic, scheduling.) I have felt like they have held my hand every single step of the way.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is great. It's clean and the systems in place (ipad registration, open hours for bloods, etc) are well organized. Everything moves so quickly and efficiently. It takes me longer to get to 1st Avenue than my time actually spent in the clinic. THAT is incredible. My only complaint is I have no cell coverage while in the clinic. And when I log in to guest wifi I am still not connected. Seriously, my only complaint is the shoddy wifi.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU.
labs are about $150 each, IUI about $600, u/s $250, specimen handling fee $75, I believe.
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
kara [Goldman] was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible...She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona...She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval
1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Kara Goldman at NYU?
kara was one of the best doctors I have ever interacted with. She was compassionate and realistic. She advised where required and told us when a decision had to be ours. She was patient with us and always willing to answer questions and spend the necessary time. She made a difficult situation as comfortable as possible.
Feel free to ask as many questions as possible. Note however that there is always a lot of information, but you will have multiple opportunities to go over everything at each step.
She was great. Patient, realistic and always professiona
She skipped IUI and went directly to retrieval. The issue we had was a shortage of eggs, so she was realistic and didnt want to waste our time and money. During the second retrieval she changed one of the meds and our result was not as good, so she quickly changed course for the third retrieval and our result was better. She also advised to do a frozen transfer as the technology was such that it would increase the genetic screening and increase our chances for an ultimate live birth. She also said she highly recommended only a single transfer as we did a frozen transfer and there was no need to to do multiples as we already know the embryo is viable, rather than the 40-50% chance of a viable embryo transfer.
Great nursing staff. Always helpful, compassionate and informative. Only issue with 1 nurse over the 10-15 we saw over a 5 month period.
Describe your experience with NYU.
The clinic is great. The only issue is that you see a different doctor everyday and that the appointments check-ins can be tough. There were a couple billing issues and the billing situation was very difficult to navigate.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at NYU.
It was somewhere in between. It can get very busy and take a lot of time. Once we learned to "game" the system and show up early or late it was better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Goldman at NYU.
About $20,000 -25,000 per retrieval all in (including meds) and $5,000 for the transfer. This is probably too simplistic as it was a very complicated process.
Describe Kara Goldman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at NYU.
She definitely pushed for eSET as we did a frozen transfer and the embryo was already tested and viable. It got us out of the 40-50% viability with a fresh transfer. Also we were very clear we did not want twins.
What specific things went wrong at NYU?
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
I thought Kara Goldman did a great job. she was forth coming and explained everything in full detail. she would explains things multiple times if needed. she always seemed to care about her job and the patient...Kara Goldman had amazing bed side manor. she would explain why things were happening, give us her professional opinion, and offer us our options. she remembered who we were every time we came in and provided us with a safe environment.
3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
trust her
not everything goes as planned. i needed to adjust the hormones and trust that Dr Goldman was tweaking the medications in order to get better results each time. i had to take a month off between the 2nd and 3rd retrieval.
all the nurses were very kind.
Describe your experience with NYU.
i felt more like a number at the clinic than a patient. the staff was sweet but you felt like they were trying to get everyone in and out in a timely manor. they would call your name, take your blood, get examined by the dr on call and you would be out before you blinked an eye.
all in i spent around $85,000 -$90,000 including medication and acupuncture
i didnt want multiples and Dr Goldman felt that transferring one embryo was more safe than transferring 2