Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia

Lancaster
205 Granite Run Drive
Lancaster, PA 17601
877-916-4244
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia to a friend?
2 IUI, IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We have been through a lot of ups and downs in Dr. Nguyen's care. On the compassion scale she gets a 10 out of 10 every time. I have needed to seek outside resources to better explain protocols at times, but she does a great job of explaining the basics and nurse consults have always filled in the gaps. She is not one to push for excessive testing when not called for, but does listen and supports patients needs. She is a very scrupulous and skilled provider...
2 IUI, IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't hesitate to ask questions. They will get answered one way or another in her office. You're in good hands so relax:)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
My "chemical pregnancy" during IUI was actually presumed ectopic and my "miscarriage" from a PGS IVF fresh cycle was unfortunately a termination for medical reason at 21weeks. We received a non-compatible with life fetal diagnosis at our 19 week anatomy scan. I wasn't sure how best to mark this loss on the survey.... My daughter could have survived to full term, but had a prognosis of living for only a few minutes to days at most after birth. Even though I was no longer in Dr. Nguyen's care at the time in my pregnancy, she called me the day after diagnosis as soon as she was informed by Maternal Fetal medicine. My regular OB has not demonstrated the same level of compassion and care that Dr. Nguyen has consistently given me and my husband as we have struggled with infertility and pregnancy loss. It is a small office. Dr. Nguyen is efficient, but always makes sure if she does not have the time to answer your questions at a monitoring appointment, a nurse will follow up before you leave. She has gone out of her way to schedule consults for us when needed and they have always been within a week of our initial request. She and her staff are a big reason my husband and I felt comfortable continuing with FET cycles after the devastating loss of our daughter and why we have not given up on having a biological child altogether.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Monitoring hours - 7am to 9am, M-Fri STAT blood drawn at onsite clinic, transitioning toward in office blood draws. (I'm a tough blood draw so very happy to go to seasoned phlebotomists;) Weekend monitoring done at Harrisburg Hospital and only time you will have an ultrasound performed by non-RMA staff (between 7am-9:30am) Bloodwork results and medication adjustments provided same day by nursing staff (usually between 2:30 to 3:30). Dr Nguyen will generally call with initial Beta results or if complications occur. IUI 1 & 2- Day 3 baseline u/s & E2, LH & Prog. bloodwork, clomid (can't remember when started, probably Day 2 or 3). Monitoring Day 9 (or perhaps earlier) thru LH surge, Ovidrel trigger night before IUI. Semen sample taken to office 45 minutes prior to IUI procedure for processing. Private room available for men if traveling a distance for procedure. Done during monitoring hours in a relaxing room. Beta hCG, E2 and Progesterone levels tested 9DPO. If positive, Beta and hormone levels taken every two to three day at least twice more. If normal- U/S follow up week 5 or 6 through 9 when referred back to OB. If abnormal- options for termination discussed or consulted through miscarriage. If negative, IUI 2 Beta was positive, but slow rising and indicative of possible ectopic implantation. In addition to Beta monitoring, had a diagnostic transvaginal u/s at 6 weeks, however Beta levels were too low to confirm place of implantation, tubes appeared normal. Pregnancy was terminated with Methotrexate injection and Beta was followed to 0. Liver panel and CBC was monitored prior to and after in office injection by nurse. IVF- estrogen primer protocol for low responders selected due to maternal age and unexplained infertility history (just turned 38 that month). Counseled to have PGS testing also due to age and hx-- Select CCS (Comprehensive Chromosome Screening). Monitored cycle prior to Stims to start estrace a week or two before Day 1. Day 2 AM u/s & bloodwork (E2/LH/Prog./FSH?)/PM first dose Gonal f & low dose hCG subcutaneous injections. Monitoring continued every other day to daily with medication adjustments, cetrotide added sometime around day 7-9 to suppress ovulation, hCG injection trigger 2 nights prior to retrieval with bloodwork monitoring the following AM to confirm it was administered properly. Egg Retrieval and Embryo transfer procedures are preformed at the King of Prussia surgical center NE of Philadelphia (1.5 hr from Harrisburg). ER scheduled generally before 9 am. Given a report of egg count post procedure after anesthesia recovery. Restart estrace (vaginally), start steriod, antibiotic, and crinone (progesterone vaginal gel). Fresh embryo transfer scheduled for same time as ER on Day6 (if embryos make it to blastocyst stage by Day 5 and test euploid). Given report by embryology Day1, Day3 and Day5. Reports- 21 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized normally by Day1, 10 Day3 with normal cleavage, 3 Day5 blastocyst tested- 1 euploid, 2 Day6 blastocyst tested, both euploid and frozen. Day6 fresh transfer (It's a girl!) (No anesthesia necessary, but have to drink 50-60oz water starting 1.5 hour prior to procedure. Very uncomfortable!) Beta follow up was normal. Embryo measured normal week6Day0 u/s. Heartbeat detected in week 7 Day 0 u/s. Continued monitoring through week9 and referred back to OB. Was told to follow up with NT scan and amniocentesis, but no further genetic screening was necessary due to PGS. We ignored Dr. Nguyen's advice and did not have an NT scan done between 12-14 weeks, thinking we had it covered on the genetic defect front and I was eating well/taking prenatals so not overly concerned about NTD. Unfortunately at our week 19 anatomy scan our daughter was diagnosed with Exencephaly a fatal NTD. Amniocentesis results indicated that karyotype was also normal. It was a "fluke" developmental defect. Follow your RE's advice, get the NT scan. FET cycles- Dr. Nguyen allowed me the choice of having a synthetic or natural cycle (with estrogen primer control of ovulation or without estrogen) I opted both cycles for the greater predictability of synthetic cycle. Estrace started orally Day2 in the PM after AM u/s and bloodwork- taken AM & PM, dose upped then taken back down at ovulation. Progesterone in oil intramuscular shots started evening of ovulation (1/2cc) as well as steroid (7days). Progesterone upped to 1cc until Beta and continued to 10 weeks is positive. Both cycles failed so I discontinued PIO and estrace day of Beta. Have consulted with Dr. Nguyen on next possible steps- Another stim cycle with either same estrogen primer protocol or a lupron microflare with PGS-- both are low responder protocols. My AMH has dropped from 2015 (2.27) to this September (1.32). Egg quality is a major concern, but Dr. Nguyen believes I will have a similar outcome to my first IVF cycle. Genetic screening protocols are changing in their lab, so we will not have the option for fresh cycle transfer, but will have both chromosome and karyotype testing performed for frozen transfer. She is also willing to perform an endo/scratch the cycle prior to our next transfer because we have had two implantation failures with euploid embryos. We may choose to have further immunological testing done prior to our next cycle due to our multiple losses (a blighted ovum- spontaneous conception, a presumed ectopic with IUI and our daughter's NTD, also euploid), and am in the process of looking into reproductive immunologists to work in consult with Dr. Nguyen. We are still unsure if we how far we will pursue further testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Z)
Melissa, Stephanie and the other staff at RMA Central PA (Landy, Jamie and new hire Kristy) are very professional and compassionate. Melissa is the only other staff member who will perform ultrasounds. She handles medication protocols and will go the extra mile to make sure you understand medication changes and administration. Steph is extremely organized, knowledgeable and a calm reassuring presence. They have helped me tremendously through two terminations, and are always improving customer care so that visits are efficient but I never leave without feeling that my needs and concerns have been met.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths- small, well managed, concerned about the level of patient care and taking steps to improve patient education over the year and a half I have been there. Weaknesses- have to travel for Egg retrieval and Embryo transfer procedures (although not exceedingly far, but turnpike closed for first Embryo transfer and had to fill my bladder twice! 120oz's over the course of 2hrs!). Sometimes miscommunications happen in the Pinnaclehealth system when testing needs to be done on weekends at Harrisburg hospital, or at outpatient testing clinic in the Fredrickson building during weekday monitoring. Communications seems to have also improved since I first started with Dr. Nguyen, and was not really the fault of RMA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycle- $1,200 includes bloodwork through first Beta, u/s monitoring and IUI procedure Does not include medication- Clomid covered by my insurance with copay. Ovidrel- ~ $100 including shipping w/pharmacy discount through RMA (Note: options are changing in 2017 due to new PGS protocols) IVF Multicycle Option w/RMAid 7.5% discount & Select CCS-~ $13,400 includes Dr. & Nurse consults mock embryo transfer (cycle prior to stim), bloodwork through 1st Beta, monitoring, anesthesia, egg retrieval, ICSI, embryo culture/embryologist fees, fresh cycle embryo transfer, also covers one Frozen embryo transfer in the event that fresh cycle transfer cannot be performed, fresh transfer failure or loss of pregnancy if FET can be performed within a 9 month period. (We ended up not having to pay additional fees for our first FET after our loss at 21weeks post fresh transfer). I believe this may have also covered vitrification of frozen embryos. Additional costs- $3,000 genetic testing (covers 10+ (don't remember exact #) of embryo biopsies and can be transferred to multiple stim cycles if you do not meet the maximum number in any given cycle. We had 5 tested from our first IVF cycle, so will most likely not have to pay more for additional preimplantation genetic diagnosis in future cycles. I've talked with finance at RMA and this will be honored with the additional karyotype screening that will be added to the protocol in 2017. (Note- all RMA multi-cycle options will be changing in 2017 due to new PGD protocol. My next stim cycle will likely be a single IVF cycle paid "ala" carte by service since I will not need to pay additionally for PGD. I was quoted and expense of ~$12,000 in expected costs including one FET transfer. Stim cycle medications (gonal-f 900cc injections pens, cetrotide, low dose hCG, hCG trigger shot & pregnancy support (Crinone 8%) through 10 weeks- $~6,000.00 with 25% compassionate care discount through Freedom Pharmacy. I was not aware to shop around for Crinone coupons and additional discount programs. I could have saved more. Co-pay through insurance- ~$30 to 60 for estrace pills, medrol (steroid) and antibiotic FET cycle- $3,500 (without RMAid discount, but possible to qualify for financial aid through practice based on income/insurance coverage). Meds- estrace copay ~$20 -30, progesterone in oil intramuscular injections ~$40.00 for 30 day supply including shipping. Not covered procedures not covered in RMA plans- diagnostic exams and tests like maternal and paternal genetic screens, salinesonograms, hysteroscopy. I've had several genetic screens, (2) salinesonograms, (2) hysteroscopies including (1) endometrial polypectomy performed by Dr. Nguyen and all were covered by insurance. The RMA financial team and staff work hard to code procedures accurately, but in a way that will be accepted by most insurance carriers. I have a very restrictive HMO that does not cover any infertility treatment, but diagnostic screening and tests short of an infertility diagnosis are covered.
Mechanicsburg
Dr. Nguyen made sure to address all of my concerns without making me feel stupid for asking. She seemed genuinely interested in my feelings throughout the entire process....Dr. Nguyen is a very sweet and kind person. I felt like she was a friend throughout the process and not just my doctor. At my first ultrasound where we saw I was pregnant with twins, she gave me a big hug. I could tell she was genuinely excited for my husband and me.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
I started on 300 IUs of Follistim and low dose hcg. This was decreased around day 3. Ganirelix was added in on day 5. I triggered on day 10 with Lupron and a higher dose of hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Landi)
Landi made it super easy to get updates during my stimulation phase. She emailed me my status along with any medication changes. She was always available to answer my questions and she was always so upbeat and welcoming during my appointments. The day I went to get my beta test (I had already told her that I got a positive home pregnancy test), she ran out into the waiting room and gave me the biggest hug.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I felt very comfortable and confident in this office's ability to get me pregnant. I never felt stressed or rushed while I was at the office for my exams. I had seen another doctor prior to this office and it was a huge difference on the good end of the spectrum. I could not have been happier with Dr. Nguyen's office and this includes their staff in King of Prussia. The doctors that did my egg retrieval and transfer were very nice with good bedside manners. The one doctor had me laughing so hard after the retrieval. I'll never forget the wonderful experience I had compared to the other clinic I had gone to.
Mechanicsburg
She [Dr. Kara Nguyen] took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me...Very personable and easily reached when I had questions...Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment...We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
She took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Be open and honest with your feelings. Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Very personable and easily reached when I had questions
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working. If this does not work we are moving to IVF when I am off of work for the summer and would be able to do all the appointments. Dr. Nguyen was very supportive of our idea and plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Morgan)
All wonderful. Willing to answer questions and help if my nurse was out of the office.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Very easy to get an appointment. They open at 7 am which is amazing for teachers. I have been early for appointments and left before my actual appointment time. Easy to contact and get help when needed.
Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia
Lancaster
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
She [Dr. Nguyen] really listened to our struggles and wanted to make a realistic plan for us, not for her or the clinic. She was encouraging each step of the way and even encouraged us to apply for a grant (which we received!)...Dr. Nguyen was very personable...We went for an aggressive egg retrieval protocol due to my infertility issues. All injectables and worked with my insurance to find the best cost sensitive medications... I wish she did the egg retrieval, I didn't care for that physician's personality and approach.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
She really listened to our struggles and wanted to make a realistic plan for us, not for her or the clinic. She was encouraging each step of the way and even encouraged us to apply for a grant (which we received!).
Less time with other providers in the office. I wish she did the egg retrieval, I didn't care for that physician's personality and approach.
Dr. Nguyen was very personable and made plans with me, for my situation, not just regular IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Sometimes phone calls weren't well timed or communicated.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The office is very small and outdated. I also wish I could have stayed local for the egg retrieval rather than drive 2 hours away for a procedure.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?