Medical SchoolHarvard
ResidencyDuke
FellowshipDuke
477 Glen Lakes Drive
Dallas, TX 75231
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Karen Lee to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates to a friend?
Dr Lee was great to always say hello when she spotted me in the clinic. I felt like she closely followed my case and discussed it closely with the other nursers and embryologists in the clinic. She was always willing to answer my questions and spend time with us, during and after our cycles...She also communicated great with us during our IVF treatments. In our wrap up appointments for failed cycled, she gave us insight into the documentation and discussions with her staff about why we had failed and gave us choices on next steps. She was great to guide us through each cycle.
How was your experience with Karen Lee at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
Dr. Lee is very knowledgeable and that shows in her care. We felt like she set expectations and gave us the facts. She also communicated great with us during our IVF treatments. In our wrap up appointments for failed cycled, she gave us insight into the documentation and discussions with her staff about why we had failed and gave us choices on next steps. She was great to guide us through each cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karen Lee at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
Come with a list of questions. She will help you work through your questions and provide the best answers she can.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karen Lee at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
Describe the protocols Karen Lee used in your cycles at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates and their degree of success.
During my IUIs I took Clomid (the lowest dose) and my husband donated at the clinic. During one IVF cycle I took Gonal-F, Menupure, Pregnyl, and one other med that I can't remember. During my second cycle I took the same meds, but use Lupron instead. We were hoping to get more mature eggs on the second cycle. I tend to have lots of eggs and only about half of them mature. Both cycles worked out very similar - so we concluded that the drugs didn't make much of a difference in my case. I reacted very well to the drugs, we are just struggling to get a healthy embroy. Currently we aren't sure the cause of unhealthy embroys.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
The nursing staff, ultrasound techs, and phlebotomist are just wonderful. They are all very skilled and compassionate. My primary nurse, Katie was so helpful with answering questions, giving me calendars, and guiding me through the entire process. My favorite phlebotomist, Diane was so sweet. Blood draws got harder for me as the stimulation went on and she was great to pick places that would bruise less and wrap my arm gently. Both sonographers that I saw were fantastic. They can quickly count eggs and help position my legs so it's not as uncomfortable as the process progresses. In the lab, the nurses and staff were so great too!
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
It was so helpful to have the clinic on sight with the doctors. The ease of this was very helpful during our IVF cycles. I felt like the embryologists did a good job of informing me of our progress. Typically on weekends I wasn't able to get as much information and sometimes the reports seemed hurried. The lab worked closely with my doctor to help identify any potential issues.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karen Lee at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
We are blessed to have insurance coverage. We did not use this for our IUIs and they each ran under $1000. For IVF our first cycle was covered entirely, so we were out our deductibles. For our second cycle, drugs were not covered, so we paid the cost of drugs and our deductible was met, so we paid our percentage.
Dallas
While we did not achieve the results we wanted, Dr Lee was great. She was informative and understanding and willing to answer all questions. She was able to ease my mind, specifically I remember a time a nurse was not explaining something correctly and made me feel worried. She overheard and came rushing in to clarify and ease my mind with better description of what would occur next. Infertility is one of the worst things I have ever experienced but Dr Lee made me feel like there was hope.
European, Black or African-American
Ask questions and if you are uncomfortable, ask more. You are not burdening her.
She was always personable and always remembered who I was, which was surprising given the amount of people lined up to see her. She was never rushed.
IUI cycles were medicated. Do not remember specifics. IVF with injectables.
The nursing staff was also helpful. While I had one experience being given poor information, she was only my nurse on one occasion , leading me to believe she was either temporary or working for someone else’s service.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
They are always busy, but they get you in in a timely manner. If you have a procedure on a Saturday, be prepared for it not to be your doctor as they rotate their days. They are conscious of the demands of working full time and going through treatments and were helpful and flexible.
IUI was mostly taken care of by my insurance thanks to the ways they were able to bill and code. The Ivf was not covered but I utilized the package option which with medication cost about 20000 for two IVf cycles
2009 - 2017
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Lee cares about her patient and has been very accommodating. Even now that I seek IVF care at CCRM, I still have her clinic do local monitoring. At the same time, I feel her approach more often may fall on the relatively more conservative side. I am not sure if this is due to me or due to her. I have always preferred a natural pregnancy and natural/herbal treatment over western treatment because I think western treatment is much more aggressive and hard the woman's body more. The process of finding what went wrong with me not being able to conceive was long, partially due to my resistance to have a hyrasalpinx tube removal after being diagnosed at the end of 2009. But after removal I was still not able to conceive and I insisted to have my progesterone on Day 7 post ovulation tested and turns out it's <10. I wish Dr. Lee has this tested much earlier so I can also react accordingly. Dr. Lee said the progesterone level couldn't be completely trusted due to the level can vary a lot in a day. I found this progesterone testing was used by another doctor as a more standard way of determining ovulation quality. Anyways, after I tried 3 clomid cycles, 1 ivf and 1 fet with Dr. Lee, I lost confidence about getting pregnant at her clinic, although she and her staff have been courteous and kind.
2009 - 2017
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She is more conservative in her approach, and you may want to explore a little more about possible testing and options.
Dr. Lee has been always like a big sister to me and she talked to me like so, because she would say, "if you were my sister, I would ..." Even I do not have any success with her, she has been a kind and caring doctor to me. She did most of the ultrasounds by herself unless there is scheduling challenges, and address all my questions, even though sometimes it's after I sought a 2nd opinion. She put patient's interest first, not her ego.
clomid from 50mg to 50mg to 75mg, ovidrel trigger each cycle, 2 natural intercourse, 1 IUI IVF: lupron 5+ menopur75+ follistim 300 for 9 days, twoeard day 8 and 9 there are changes in the specific meds but I don't remember the details. HCG ovidrel as trigger, 15 oocytes retrieved, 4 day5 embryos, no PGS, 2 fresh transfer, 2 frozen, progesterone oil injection post transfer until HCG test. FET: 2mg estrodial+baby aspirin, only 1 out of 2 embryos survived unfrozen, the transfer resulted in failure. Progesterone injection for all days post transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Rachel and others, don't remember clearly)
The nurses are professional, however sometimes I feel some may lack a personal touch. Some may sound more formulaic than caring. Sometimes I feel afraid to ask too many questions
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
This clinic is one of the best in the DFW area, so the staff is professional, the facility is clean and organized, and they address all requests and questions you have. I had some billing issues but eventually they were resolved. Dr. Lee is also willing to coordinate with other doctors when it comes to surgery so that really helps.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
they are able to schedule the appointments timely, at least this was what I was told, if I have another doctor's order, they can schedule the next day's ultrasound for me.
The IVF cost about 12k back in 2012, FET about $1300 in 2015.
Describe Karen Lee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Not applicable to me.
What specific things went wrong at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates?
Dallas
Dr Lee always took the time to come speak to me, even if she wasn't the one doing my sonogram, bloodwork etc..Dr. Lee is always very informative with me. One experience that's stands out is when they found cysts. The nurse was trying to explain to me "how big" they were...She overheard her explaination and made sure to come in and clarify and put it into perspective! She had a treatment plan ready and it was taken care of within the next month. I trust her and she is very honest about possible options. I much prefer that to beating around the bush.
Dr. Lee is always very informative with me. One experience that's stands out is when they found cysts. The nurse was trying to explain to me "how big" they were. Now keep in mind I only have one ovary and had the other removed due to cysts so naturally this scared me. She overheard her explaination and made sure to come in and clarify and put it into perspective! She had a treatment plan ready and it was taken care of within the next month. I trust her and she is very honest about possible options. I much prefer that to beating around the bush.
Come in with questions. She is patient and will answer all questions. I have never felt rushed.
Dr Lee always took the time to come speak to me, even if she wasn't the one doing my sonogram, bloodwork etc. She took the time to get to know my husband and I and jokes around with us in times of serious anxiety!
My first IUI I did the Gonal F and Ovidrel and my second they did the Gonal F and Letrozole. I had a negative result each time but with the second attempt I had more follicles that were larger.
I have never had a bad experience. They aren't rushed and explain everything, even sometimes twice if I leave and have to call back to re-explain!
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
They are pretty accommodating in terms of time. I never have waited past 10 minutes of my scheduled appointment time. One suggestion would be that if you have a procedure on the weekend, a heads up of who will be doing the procedure would be best.
I have only done IUI which some of the services were covered by insurance. Medication cost approximately $500 and the IUI procedure was $300
I have not gone through this yet.
IVF, Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
Dr. Lee was a total dream. She made so much eye contact with me and always spoke directly to me and made sure I understood everything. She was also really happy to work with the California doctor and have us go to him for hysteroscopies and then come to her for fertility drugs when we got the green light to conceive. Dr. Lee definitely made me feel like a human...Dr. Lee was going to give us fertility drugs and help us actually get pregnant since I also have PCOS and wasn't ovulating regularly.
IVF, Embryo Freezing, Surrogacy
I went to Dr. Lee after I left another Dallas-based fertility doctor's practice. I was in the process of being treated for Asherman's Syndrome by a doctor in California. Dr. Lee agreed to partner with the California doctor on the treatment of my Asherman's Syndrome and then when the California doctor said it was okay to move forward, Dr. Lee was going to give us fertility drugs and help us actually get pregnant since I also have PCOS and wasn't ovulating regularly. So basically she just held our hand in Dallas while I was having my Asherman's Syndrome treated in California (two hysteroscopies followed by estrogen therapy), and then provided a protocol for trying to get pregnant once it was okay to try again. I only did only one cycle with Dr. Lee because I got pregnant that first try - yay! It was quite the experience though: I took letrozole and follistim and then did a trigger shot plus timed intercourse. At the time of the trigger shot, I had a lot of mature looking follicles (10+) BUT my lining was very thin (only around 4mm). Dr. Lee was a little concerned about the risk of multiples, but thought it was extremely unlikely that I would get pregnant because my lining was so thin and she actually thought I should have yet another hysteroscopy to figure out what was going on. I think the idea had been to do an IUI or a fresh IVF transfer but that plan got called off because of the thin lining and we didn't want to freeze embryos because we were about to move to yet another city. Anyway, we did the timed intercourse with the thin lining and lots of follicles and I got pregnant with di-tri triplets (identical twins sharing a placenta plus a singleton). I think Dr. Lee felt bad that this was the result since she knew it would be a really complicated pregnancy with an uncertain outcome and to reduce the risks, I would have to choose a multi-fetal pregnancy reduction of the identical twins (I remember what she said at the ultrasound: "I've seen this work out" - not what you want to hear). I opted for the multi-fetal pregnancy reduction of the identical twins (this was done with a MFM doctor in New York City, not Dallas). Multiples like this when you already have fertility issues can be very emotionally painful - I'm still sad about what happened. So that really sucked. HOWEVER, I do have a beautiful daughter who is almost 2 and is doing great and I have Dr. Lee in part to thank for that! She was a really tiny baby (3 pounds 11 ounces) and had to come out early due to intrauterine growth restriction either caused by the Asherman's Syndrome or by the triplet pregnancy. Anyway, yes - I got the result I wanted: one healthy child and on the first try with this doctor! But, no, it was not an easy experience. I still really like Dr. Lee though, obviously. She has great bedside manner.
I don't have any. She's great.
I had a bad experience with another fertility doctor in the Dallas area before I came to Dr. Lee as a patient. I told her why I didn't like the other Dallas-based doctor - I felt like he didn't make eye contact with me or talk directly to me but instead focused on my husband during important discussions. I also didn't feel like other Dallas-based doctor wanted to partner with another doctor we had been seeing in California to get a second opinion on how to handle my diagnosis of Asherman's Syndrome (intrauterine scarring caused by a D&C following a miscarriage) and was defensive and weird about taking suggestions from other doctors. As a result, Dr. Lee was a total dream. She made so much eye contact with me and always spoke directly to me and made sure I understood everything. She was also really happy to work with the California doctor and have us go to him for hysteroscopies and then come to her for fertility drugs when we got the green light to conceive. Dr. Lee definitely made me feel like a human.
I think I already described it above. We did one cycle of letrozole, follistim, trigger shot and timed intercourse. In retrospect, this was probably too aggressive. See the multiples issue described above. But on the other hand it worked!
I don't really remember. The truth is that we dealt mostly with Dr. Lee directly (which I liked).
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
I vastly preferred this practice to the other practice I went to in Dallas. One thing I found odd was the pictures of babies all over the waiting room. However, I did like the big window looking out onto a tree. Anyway, Dr. Lee is great. She is really kind and thoughtful and I totally recommend her.
I remember spending about $400 on medications for the one medicated cycle that we did and maybe another few hundred dollars for some ultrasounds that were not covered during this cycle. I think everything else was covered by our insurance and I only paid co-pays. I really don't remember though.
I don't have any thoughts on this because we didn't get there with this doctor and I didn't really talk to her about it. I think she is more open to multiples than other doctors I've been too though.
2011 - 2012
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
2011 - 2012
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Karen Lee is a very pleasant doctor. She was very thorough and honest with me about my diagnosis, treatment, and what to expect. She's very professional and gives attention to detail. However, I didn't feel that she was in tune with my emotions. It kind of felt like she was afraid to get a little emotionally invested in what I was feeling as a patient. I don't recall her ever giving me words of encouragment on those tough days I found out I had an ectopic miscarriage. While I liked her as a person and doctor, I just feel that sympathy was missing.
Let her know that you not only need her to sympathize on those tough days; you need her to acknowledge your pain, and not quietly walk away.
I felt like both a number and human in that she didn't really show any emotion or encourage when I was saddened by an unsuccessful cycle or ectopic miscarriage. However, she was pleasant.
I can't remember specifics of my protocol as it was 5 yrs ago, but I do remember during my iui had to use egg stimulating hormones, have my follicles monitored and checked every other day, and triggered with ovudriel when it was time. During my IVF protocol I again used egg stimulating hormone injections such as lupron, and progesterone in oil (PIO). I also used the trigger shot when it was time.
The nursing staff was very friendly, professional, compassionate, and encouraging.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
This clinic is clean, and professional. However, I never felt that the lady that checked me out after my appts was that friendly. She wasn't very warm. But, the environment aside from her was friendly.
Monitoring appts went smoothly. It wasn't uncomfortable. Dr. Lee was very gentle. None of the appts conflicted with my schedule.
I don't remember the exact cost, but I do remember paying little to nothing for my mefication and treatment as my insurance covered the majority of my treatment and medication bills.
Dr. Lee just advised that I transfer 2 embryos during my first round of IVF, and 1 embryo during my FET.
Dallas
Dr. Lee is very knowledgable and has great bedside manner. She was easy to talk to and listened as we asked all of our questions, taking time to answer each one. She didn't make you feel like another patient to get through in the day, but was very compassionate and encouraging.... Clomid was used to help grow more follicles and a trigger shot was used to help with ovulation timing.
While you are given a sheet of risks for the medications you take, it wouldn't hurt to ask more specific questions about each medicine while discussing with her.
Dr. Lee took time to answer all of our questions on our initial consultation. She was compassionate and helpful.
Katie is wonderful! She has been great to work with, compassionate and always quick to call back should I miss her at her desk. She has made the entire process much smoother than anticipated. You can tell she really cares and values you.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
The clinic has been very easy to deal with. They have also been helpful in getting insurance information. I have been to other clinics and they were no where near as friendly as this one. Grateful to have friendly faces in the midst of a hard situation.
They have a lump fee of $700 for a medicated cycle. But you can also pay for each appointment separately, which is helpful if you won't be having blood work done.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I felt like the doctor was caring and confident. She disagreed with my previous RE and I really trusted her opinion. She told me my concerns were nothing to be worried about. Upon reviewing my case with 2 other REs, they both disagreed with Dr. Lee's course of treatment and said my concern was valid...The doctor seemed to care, but it was not as easy to contact her compared to my previous doctor who would personally call me with results...
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I felt like the doctor was caring and confident. She disagreed with my previous RE and I really trusted her opinion. She told me my concerns were nothing to be worried about. Upon reviewing my case with 2 other REs, they both disagreed with Dr. Lee's course of treatment and said my concern was valid and probably the biggest reason by 2 transfers failed. This has made me view my experience differently.
If your concerns are blown off, don't give up. Get different opinions and don't assume the doctor's confidence means that their opinion is the right one.
Everyone in the office was very caring- especially the phlebotomist Diana. The doctor seemed to care, but it was not as easy to contact her compared to my previous doctor who would personally call me with results.
Antagonist protocol with Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix. The trigger shot was Pregnyl. We used ICSI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Erica?)
I didn't have much communication with my nurse so I can't say much. I would just get an afternoon call with my results.
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Strength: Runs mostly on time, sweetest phlebotomist (Diana?) and sonographer (Candice?) Weaknesses: I didn't know this until after I stopped going here, but they don't treat same-sex couples. This doesn't seem right to me. If you're a doctor, how can you deny treatment to people who want to start a family? This is the #1 reason I won't recommend this clinic to friends.
Around $10,000 for a fresh retrieval/transfer and ICSI
The doctor left this decision up to me and didn't pressure me in any way.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr. Karen Lee] did all 3 egg retrievals, she took time to talk with me after the first sonogram of our second pregnancy when things didn't look good, she called me after our 3rd retrieval to let me know that the pgs tested embryos were abnormal. She was available for all consultations...She was great. The only thing I would say is that I had to recommend treatment to her sometimes. For example after my second loss, I asked about coq10, dhea, and estrogen priming protocol. I felt like she should have mentioned these things.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Do your own research and ask questions
She did all 3 egg retrievals, she took time to talk with me after the first sonogram of our second pregnancy when things didn't look good, she called me after our 3rd retrieval to let me know that the pgs tested embryos were abnormal. She was available for all consultations
First cycles- lupron with bc, 150 menopur, 350 Follistim - 2 eggs, 1 embryo, 3 day transfer, 16 weeks miscarriage with abnormal chromosome Second cycle - bc, 150 menopur, 350 follistim, ganarelix- 7 eggs, 2 embryos, 5 day transfer with both, 10 week miscarriage Third cycle - same as 2nd cycle but added pgs testing. I had been taking coq10, dhea, acupuncture, herbs- 9 eggs, 2 embryos to day 6 PGS. Both came back abnormal I have a very fertile uterus and abnormal embryos are likely to attach and miscarry. Suggestions is to always pgs test
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Emilee)
Wonderful and compassionate
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
Timely, easy billing, compassionate, treated you like a human Receptionist a little rude
Insurance paid 100% after my deductible was met
Dallas
She [Dr. Karen Lee] was readily available, was very nice and considerate. Always gave me hope...She took time to see me every time and answered all of my questions. Her nurses were also always available for questions...try 1: 75 Clomid, injectable 50 iu's, HCG, IUI try 2: 50 clomid, 100 iu's, HCG, IUI Try 3: Same, IUI...I paid about 1000 per cycle
She was readily available, was very nice and considerate. Always gave me hope
Don't be afraid to ask questions
They returned calls within 15-20 minutes. Answered all my questions
Describe your experience with Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates.
They are available 7 days a week so you do not have to worry about ovulation. The weekends they have an on call doctor that may or may not be your doctor, overall I never had a problem with that. They have a sperm analysis place next door.
I paid about 1000 per cycle
5 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
[Dr. Karen Lee is] kind, caring and compassionate but with a professional manner. Treated staff and patients well...Always there with a comforting touch and kind words.
5 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing
Very good practice, location and atmosphere is comfortable as doctors assist people, they even often check on you as you go in to general sono. Always there with a comforting touch and kind words- Karen was one of the best ivf drs- texas can offer.
Ask questions. ask about details, and how things work- don't ever assume. Treatments are expensive and most people leave the dr to choose. But research your condition prior to the apt and discuss her thoughts.
Kind, caring and compassionate but with a Professional manner. Treated staff and patients well. Truly a good dr.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Dallas-Fort Worth Fertility Associates. (Assigned nurse: Emily and Ashley )
Very nice people, would answer all questions or ask the dr. But again patients know how the process and how it works, be informed of what is going on and ask questions.