Medical SchoolYale
ResidencyUCLA
FellowshipUCSF
555 Knowles Drive
Los Gatos, California 95032
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Karen Purcell to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 88%Neutral: 12%9
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend C.A.R.E for the Bay Area to a friend?
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Purcell is extremely intelligent and thorough. She has a PhD as well and it's easily visible that her research background is a bonus to her experience as a fertility provider. She reviewed my previous records thoroughly, including emails to my previous doctor to guide my treatment which I appreciated. She works weekends and holidays and my fiance and I were impressed with her dedication to her work. I felt that she agreed to care for us but was also very honest with us about possible outcomes. It's a hard balance to achieve but she was able to do it.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Make sure to ask questions when she does come into the ultrasounds, since her time is limited. This is best time to ask the questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell and her staff were attentive to me and my fiance's needs and desires. Although the process of fertility treatment is emotionally, physically, and financially stressful - the genuine nature of Dr. Purcell, her nurses, and front desk staff made the whole process easier. I can tell that they genuinely care about their work and what they do for patients.
Describe the protocols Karen Purcell used in your cycles at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with premature ovarian failure last year. We were recommended to try ICSI. I was prescribed Follistim, Menopur, and Ganirelix during my cycle. Everything went according to plan during the treatment and my retrieval date was the same as what was planned for. 3 eggs were retrieved and Dr. Purcell said she was happy with the quality of my eggs. They all fertilized but the 2 that were dividing normally unfortunately did not pass the Day 5 PGS testing. We were recommended to pursue a second treatment. We are hoping to do this but since my insurance does not cover our treatment we are waiting.
All the nurses were kind, compassionate, and knowledgeable. They were able to explain the procedures and the PGS testing very well to us. They always showed compassion, called exactly when they said they would, and were empathetic to us. I did not expect such nice people but am so happy we found this facility.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
The whole team at CARE for the Bay Area is really warm, compassionate, and understanding. They are obviously dedicated to their work. I appreciated that they are up to date with the newest information. I felt like they treat their patients as family. If you would like an appointment with Dr. Purcell , book in advance. A little more guidance about next steps forward will be good , but overall a good experience
Describe the costs associated with your care under Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
1) Egg Retrieval w embryo freezing $10,760 2) ICSI $2,100 3) Embryo biopsy $4575 4) Anesthesia $600 5) Surgical supplies $300 6) Injections (paid to Walgreen's) $5,700
Describe Karen Purcell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
We were unable to transfer embryos.
Other, Unexplained
Dr. Purcell does every ultrasound and while they are typically quick, she will always stay and answer questions or concerns that I have. I feel that she is always thinking deeply and processing things, even though she doesn’t always explain in detail unless asked.... I have amenorrhea and don’t cycle on my own, so my protocol was always a little different, and everything was based on how I reposnded based on my bloodwork. For my IUIs, I took a combination of clomid, ovidril, and progesterone.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell is a Yale MD and PhD and and I feel confident in her knowledge and experience. I am unsure of her statistics and never thought to ask, as I was impressed with her from our first consultation. Dr. Purcell does every ultrasound and while they are typically quick, she will always stay and answer questions or concerns that I have. I feel that she is always thinking deeply and processing things, even though she doesn’t always explain in detail unless asked. Sometimes I don’t know what questions to ask, and so I don’t always get all the information I need, but when I do, she always explains things thoroughly. She pays attention to my schedule and works to build my treatment plan around it. I know she takes the time to think about me when I’m not there as she will get back to me once she processes all the information and blood work results. When I have called before with questions the nurse cannot answer, Dr. Purcell has taken the time to call me back. We are still in the midst of treatment, and have not been successful yet, but I would still highly recommend her.
Do more outside research of procedures so you know what to expect going in. She is good at explaining medically what will happen, but not all the logistics. I also felt unprepared for the extent of the recovery post retrieval, but Dr. Purcell was also surprised by how severely my body reacted, so she couldn’t have prepared me for that.
What I like about C.A.R.E. is that it is strictly Dr. Purcell’s clinic, making it a little smaller and intimate. I work with Sandra mostly and feel that she tracks and supports my care pretty closely. Irene always greets me when I was in and asks if I would like something to drink. They allow me to bring my daughter when needed, and even volunteered to watch her while my husband and I had a consultation with Dr. Purcell. I feel they have been very accommodating with my schedule, especially since I have to go so often. They allow me to come for blood draws before the clinic officially opens so I don’t have to bring my daughter with me, and have offered to stay late to meet us for a consultation or for my husband to fill out paperwork.
I have amenorrhea and don’t cycle on my own, so my protocol was always a little different, and everything was based on how I reposnded based on my bloodwork. For my IUIs, I took a combination of clomid, ovidril, and progesterone. For my retrieval cycle and one FET I took menopur, follistim, and ganirelix, plus progesterone post transfer. For my second FET I took estrace and PIO.
Describe your experience with your nurse at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
I love working with Sandra and feel I get my best care when I work with her. I don’t feel as comfortable with the other nurses, not because they are not great, but because I don’t feel they know me or what my issues are. When we had a calendar issue around a trip, Sandra built out 5 calendar options and sat down with me for 30 minutes to go over each one so that I could select which worked best. When I was having an issue with information, she promised to sit in on the the next appointment so she could answer any additional questions I had.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
The clinic is quaint, comfortable and welcoming. The staff at the fron, Irene specifially will great you and offer you something to drink. They have water, tea, coffee, and a variety of other options to drink.
Insurance: 41K Personal: roughly 5K
Dr. Purcell feels strongly in eSET when embryos have been PGS tested. I understood her reasoning, and agreed to avoid the risk.
Los Gatos
She [Dr. Karen Purcell] recommended the 5 day retrieval and PGS testing to get the best embryos. She used the minimal dosage of drugs and I responded really well. Sadly we only retrieved 7 eggs because she had trouble getting to my ovaries. Ultimately it was the weight ( i gained 30 lbs thru all the treatments) that prevented the access to my ovaries. we only ended up with 4 embryos via ICSI (we used hubby's sperm from vitals they retrieved at another clinic via mTESE). We ended up with 1 embryo at end of day 5 and it did not take.
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
Dr. Purcell has a very busy office but always takes time for the patient. Knowing this was my only and last cycle I wish more would have been done to prepare me for a more successful retrieval and outcome.
Do research ahead and push for HCG especially if you have frequent chemicals or miscarriages.
Even though her office is extremely she spend the whole appointment time answering questions and explaining the next steps.
She recommended the 5 day retrieval and PGS testing to get the best embryos. She used the minimal dosage of drugs and I responded really well. Sadly we only retrieved 7 eggs because she had trouble getting to my ovaries. Ultimately it was the weight ( i gained 30 lbs thru all the treatments) that prevented the access to my ovaries. we only ended up with 4 embryos via ICSI (we used hubby's sperm from vitals they retrieved at another clinic via mTESE). We ended up with 1 embryo at end of day 5 and it did not take. I feel the implant time might have been off even though we did two ERA's (mock cycles). With other attempts I had chemicals aka implantation but failed to thrive.
Sandra was very busy and often mixed me up with other patients on the phone. Seems like when they hired an office manager, Sandra seemed to be more organized and communicated with me in a much more prompt manner. Otherwise was very sweet and compassionate.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
It took 7 months to get an appointment. Dr. P was an hour late for an appointment but she did give me the full 30 minute consult and strategies on how to proceed. Appointments were easy to get and as the office manager really made a difference in scheduling and smoothness of visits. My first visit I sat in my gown for over 30 minutes, Dr. P was rushed. the subsequent visits became smoother and more efficient. I was able to be in and out in 20 minutes, even with blood draw. She didn't advocate any extra supplements or acupuncturist but was supportive.
$900.00 – anesthesia & surgical supplies $10,760.00 – embryo cryo cycle $960.00 – 1 yr embryo storage $2,100.00 – ICSI $4575.00 – PGS test $1,875.00 – Igenomix Fee (outside lab that performs PGS test) $960.00 – 1 yr sperm storage $5,500.00 – Medication (approximate cost, depends on pharmacy - payable to pharmacy) $3,066.00 – Frozen embryo transfer (does not get billed until you are ready to do the transfer)
Dr. Purcell strongly believes in eSET
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
She [Dr. Karen Purcell] has an amazing bedside manner, is extremely intelligent and doesn't push excess medicine. Which can be good and bad.... She is very open to suggestions and needs. Just do your research and understand what you are bringing to the table as she is very clinical. If you have serious autoimmune issues she may not be best choice as she doesn't fully believe in some of those controversial treatments. If you are a simple or unexplained case she is best. For me I'm DOR but produce normal eggs I have implantation failure.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
She has an amazing bedside manner, is extremely intelligent and doesn't push excess medicine. Which can be good and bad. Have to really ask for sown of the extras but her reasons are usually because she is well read on what really works. Comparatively she is affordable to other clinics in area. It's really nice that you get to see her and not a tech at each ultrasound visit. She isn't big into testing things until there is an issue which can be good and bad.
Really good bedside manner. Does all procedures herself never see a tech. Very approachable with issues. Amazing staff
Long Lupron protocol every cycle. Anywhere from 5-8 eggs. Pgs normal eggs every cycle anywhere from 1-3. One fresh fail transfer and 2 frozen failed transfer. All PGS normals. Did ERA test came back pre receptive, did another with medicine adjustment then was receptive followed this plan for transfer of pgs normal and still failed. Not sure what the issue is. Just bad luck or something else
There has been quit a bit of turnover but everyone has been very nice. They at times seem to need better understanding of some of the bloodwork lingo. I'm a very educated patient and sometimes felt I knew more than they did
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
Strengths are the physician, affordability, location and billing coordinator. Weaknesses are not best place for advanced or difficult cases. Turnover with nurses
Very favorable. $9000 for fresh $2000 for icsi pgs $4800 lab fee frozen transfer $3500
She will ESET. But transferred 2 on first frozen because on of the embryos had boarder line grading but still pgs normal. One 3AB one 3BC
Los Gatos
Dr. Purcell always makes me feel calm and hopeful. She is able to understand each patient and how they are, so she can adjust her style to taylor each patient. If anything ever goes wrong she takes the time to spend time in her consultation going over all of my questions and concerns. She is the kindest person and I adore her.... Dr. Purcell tends to not stress her patients out with all the details, so if you want the details you need to ask.
How was your experience with Karen Purcell at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area?
I would say to make sure to educate yourself to ask questions because Dr. Purcell tends to not stress her patients out with all the details, so if you want the details you need to ask.
Dr. Purcell is one of the kindest people I have ever met in my life. She make you feel like you are her one and only favorite patient. Every time I leave her office I always feel hopeful, no matter what the outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at C.A.R.E for the Bay Area. (Assigned nurse: Erika)
I think she could be better with communication and explaining what is going on. Sometimes I ask her questions and she isn't able to mention. Sometimes she confuses me with other patients, which is not like Dr. Purcell.
Describe your experience with C.A.R.E for the Bay Area.
At Care for the Bay Area you are not a number, you get personalized care. When you walk in everyone knows your name and your husbands. Its like a family.
Full Cycle not including meds, but including PGS Testing 15,500