Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolTemple
ResidencyUCLA
FellowshipUCLA
836 Prudential Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32207
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kari Sproul von Goeben to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr. Sproul Von Goeben] is so warm & courteous. She knows who I am and our story before she enters the room. I never have to “fill her in” to continue my care. She is genuine & we feel like she is on our team! Rooting for us!...She looks at me as a whole and not just another person she is trying to get pregnant. She is thorough. Patient. Answers every question with honest answers, making sure you understand everything she’s said. She is empathetic. She genuinely is rooting for us and doing everything in her power to help us get AND STAY pregnant.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kari Sproul von Goeben at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Von Goeben is such a blessing! We had seen two other providers prior to her and my care was subpar. One of whom even missing underlying conditions and denying testing even though I asked for it. Once I switched to Dr Von Goeben she immediately saw what I saw, Ordered the appropriate tests, explained that she felt like we needed to start at the beginning so that nothing is missed. So we did. She re-evaluated me as if I were a new patient. She looks at me as a whole and not just another person she is trying to get pregnant. She is thorough. Patient. Answers every question with honest answers, making sure you understand everything she’s said. She is empathetic. She genuinely is rooting for us and doing everything in her power to help us get AND STAY pregnant.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kari Sproul von Goeben at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Be 100% honest with her. Trust her. Be willing to be patient and follow through with her directions. She really does know what she is talking about.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kari Sproul von Goeben at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
She is so warm & courteous. She knows who I am and our story before she enters the room. I never have to “fill her in” to continue my care. She is genuine & we feel like she is on our team! Rooting for us!
Describe the protocols Kari Sproul von Goeben used in your cycles at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
First thing we did was reevaluate my case. From sonohistograms to a TON of blood work. She also discovered I had an underlying condition that needed to be treated by an Endocrinologist so she referred me to an amazing one. She also referred me to an amazing OBGYN. Once all of the underlying “mess” was streightened out we did a round of birth control to keep my lining thin and allow a cyst to heal. Then a round of 100mg of Clomid for 6 days, followed by a trigger shot & an IUI. Which I am currently in the tww from. Because of my past treatment, she knew I would respond to the Clomid & She feels IUI will work for us since I did get pregnant (ended in loss) with my last IUI. She feels that my underlying undiagnosed Hashimoto’s with Hypothyroidism was the cause of my previous losses... I can’t share my results yet.... because I don’t have them! (Hellos two week wait.)
Every time I call to speak with the nurses with a question they are always compassionate and helpful. They always promptly return my calls.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The offices are comfortable enough considering you’re there for an uncomfortable reason. Always clean which is super important! At this clinic you are always seen my your Dr, even on the weekends you’ll see the on call Dr, never a nurse practitioner or nurse. They are very flexible with scheduling and work to get you in quickly, including weekend appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kari Sproul von Goeben at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
All diagnostic things are covered by my insurance. And a detailed list of FIRM’s pricing for all services can be found on their website. I believe an IUI CYCLE is around $650 with meds or extra scans.
What specific things went wrong at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Jacksonville
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr. Sproul von Goeben] always hugs me when she sees me and gives a genuine smile. She is genuinely interested and concerned about every detail... Never rushes you or the appointment, takes the time to think about the questions before answering. Actually thinks about you while you aren't in front of her and will reach out to colleagues if she feels the need...Changed course to IVF due to ectopic pregnancy and 1 tube. Have done 2 rounds of IVF stimulation with menopur, gonal f, and Ovidrel trigger shot and 2nd round with menopur, clomid, and hgh, also with an Ovidrel or novarel trigger.
European, East Asian
Friendly, warm, kind, and knowledgeable. Never rushes you or the appointment, takes the time to think about the questions before answering. Actually thinks about you while you aren't in front of her and will reach out to colleagues if she feels the need.
Tell her all of your concerns so she can address them and help guide you through the process. Don't feel stupid for asking questions or for her to clarify.
She always hugs me when she sees me and gives a genuine smile. She is genuinely interested and concerned about every detail
First went to letrozole since I was already on that protocol, got pregnant right away, miscarried. So continued with letrozole for a while. Then switched to clomid because it tends to work better for pcos patients and gradually increased dosage, tried IUI and timed intercourse during this time about 18-24 mos. Conceived and miscarried again and had an ectopic pregnancy that ruptured had to have a tube removed. Changed course to IVF due to ectopic pregnancy and 1 tube. Have done 2 rounds of IVF stimulation with menopur, gonal f, and Ovidrel trigger shot and 2nd round with menopur, clomid, and hgh, also with an Ovidrel or novarel trigger.
Warm friendly and caring! They even remember where my 1 good vein is!
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I wish they had more options available at all their clinics, for instance retrieval is only done at the downtown location in Jacksonville. Also I wish they'd get newer or more upgraded ultrasound machines. They are all highly trained and work as a team!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
They even will open on the weekend d but the appointment has to be scheduled by Friday
Annual HIV check spouses insurance didn't cover $1200, nurse anesthetists $250, pgt testing and freezing $3000, plus medications, hgh not cover $1500
Jacksonville
[Dr. Kari Sproul Von Goeben] Always smiled and seemed to care. Sometimes I felt like she didn't listen what I wanted or felt like I needed though. She would disagree with me a lot on testing I wanted done. She did however always explain why and talk to me about it all. She listened to what I had to say and while not always agreeing, she gave me a reason why. It meant a lot that she always gave me hugs especially after my failed embryo transfer. She was somewhat comforting and maybe could somewhat relate to what I was going through. Overall she is a very kind person and I think she does want to help me become a mom
Dr. Von Goeben was always welcoming and kind. Always smiled and seemed to care. Sometimes I felt like she didn't listen what I wanted or felt like I needed though. She would disagree with me a lot on testing I wanted done. She did however always explain why and talk to me about it all. She listened to what I had to say and while not always agreeing, she gave me a reason why. It meant a lot that she always gave me hugs especially after my failed embryo transfer. She was somewhat comforting and maybe could somewhat relate to what I was going through. Overall she is a very kind person and I think she does want to help me become a mom
Don't be afraid to speak up for what you want
I sometimes felt like it was all about money. They refused to test me for things I thought would help but did me explanations as to why. I always had my questions answered but sometimes felt rushed. I did feel like a human for the most part as my doctor did hug me after my failed cycle and could feel my pain
For my IUI's I was on Clomid which all failed. I don't remember much from those cycles. For my IVF I was taking Gonal F and Menopur. I believe I was on 300 of Gonal and 150 of Menopur. Then Cetrotide was added. Unfortunately I had to stay on the Gonal and Menopur a little longer than normal because my follicles were not exactly where they wanted them. I took the Lupron trigger shot and they retrieved 22 eggs. Of those 22, 19 were mature and fertilized with ICSI. Only 9 made it to biopsy and freeze and of this 9 PGS tested embryos, 7 were normal. Dr. Von Goeben was unable to do my actual retrieval. I then had a polypectomy done for multiple polyps. Then I was placed on birth control for about 2 weeks. After stopping that, I started taking estradiol 1 mg tabs, 3 in the morning and 3 at night (worked up to that). I had my day 13 scan and my lining was not thick enough. So she extended my estrogen by a week. After the next scan my lining was good and was told to start Progesterone supp. I took those for 6 days and on the 6th day had my embryo transfer. My transfer went very smoothly. Unfortunately it failed.
The nurses were nice but sometimes it was hard to get ahold of them. However they always got back to me. I didn't have a nurse I wasn't happy with
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
As far as strengths the staff are all very nice and welcoming. For the most part they worked with my schedule for appointments and made it easier to be seen. As far as weaknesses, the waits were usually very long. The clinic was always freezing and waiting forever in an ice cold waiting room was not easy.
Everything was out of pocket. My IUI's were each over $700 and that didn't include the $50 bottle of Clomid for each cycle. My IVF was $6000 for ultrasound monitoring appointments, egg retrieval, and transfer. On top of that we had to pay extra for the anesthesia and ICSI. Also the medications which were almost $5,000. Then the PGS testing which was $2,000 for the biopsy paid to the clinic and over $1,700 for the testing paid to the lab.
Describe Kari Sproul von Goeben's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
My doctor strongly insists only 1 embryo be transferred for my age because of the risk of multiples. I asked after my failed transfer of 1 about doing 2 for the next one and she still recommends 1
13 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
...I liked that if I came in with something I'd read off the internet she [Dr. Kari Sproul von Goeben] was willing to have a discussion about why or why not that particular treatment would apply to me. I did not like that when I wanted to try things she would say there wasn't a "medical indication" for what I wanted to try- when Infertility is unexplained that is exactly the issue, that no one knows what might work, and I wish she were more open to anecdotal information and not entirely research reliant.
13 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She is incredibly smart and up to date on current treatment options. I liked that if I came in with something I'd read off the internet she was willing to have a discussion about why or why not that particular treatment would apply to me. I did not like that when I wanted to try things she would say there wasn't a "medical indication" for what I wanted to try- when Infertility is unexplained that is exactly the issue, that no one knows what might work, and I wish she were more open to anecdotal information and not entirely research reliant.
Try and trust her. Infertility is hard, but she is really good at what she does.
She is very warm and inviting and easy to talk to.
Amazing. One of the best parts of this office is the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Whether or not they run late depends on what doctor you're seeing which is frustrating. Also the doctors float between offices so you might not see your doctor every time unless you want to travel to wherever they are on that day.
My first born child ;-) I have insurance so I don't know
She felt strongly about single embryo transfer. That is what I wanted so I didn't push it, but I felt that had we wanted a multiple transfer it would not have been received well.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Treated like a friend not a patient [by Dr. Von Goeben]...I wish all doctors were like her. She always explained everything in full detail and gave me very realistic expectations even when they weren’t the best. She went above and beyond researching information for a complication I was having and I honestly think if I had any other doctor I would not be holding my son right now... will cover everything you need
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
She’s the best doctor I have ever been to ... I wish all doctors were like her. She always explained everything in full detail and gave me very realistic expectations even when they weren’t the best. She went above and beyond researching information for a complication I was having and I honestly think if I had any other doctor I would not be holding my son right now.
None... she is amazing and will cover everything you need
Treated like a friend not a patient
The nursing staff was wonderful... they were always very personalable and sensitive to situations ... they have amazing needle skills and no blood draw or shot ever hurt.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very convenient... they have multiple locations all over the city but the main procedures are done in their downtown office. They we’re always able to make appointments easily and quickly and was able to work with my work schedule.
Unsure as my insurance was able to cover some of it
My safety was always a priority and they suggested doing only one embryo transfer at a time
Jacksonville
Dr VG [Kari Sproul von Goeben] is a kind, compassionate, and well educated physician. She's knowledgeable, honest, and concerned about her patients. She explained all of our options and kept me posted throughout each of my procedures.... Dr VG remembers things about your personal life (dog name, etc) it's good to know that shes intetested in and remembers her patients.
Dr VG is a kind, compassionate, and well educated physician. She's knowledgeable, honest, and concerned about her patients. She explained all of our options and kept me posted throughout each of my procedures.
Listen to what she has to say. She's very knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The staff needs to ensure they follow up on items. Nurse practitioner are all very helpful. I love that there are multiple offices to select from rather than go down town for every visit. You can usually get an appointment very quickly.