4.9

2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

1 patient review filtered by:

We did not directly speak with Dr. Devine for about 2 months when starting the IUI process. We were assigned a nurse coordinator who would handle our questions and act as a liaison. I would come in frequently for monitoring and be seen by different technicians and nurses each time. There were many women lined up outside the clinic each morning waiting to be cycled through for blood work and ultrasounds. There were times when I just wanted to speak with the doctor directly because I didn't feel the nurse our technicians really knew me individually. I will say though that by the third cycle of IUI, Dr. Devine did a better job of calling me directly to discuss the results and options.
We just had a lot of times that we weren't sure what we were supposed to do next. And the decision was left to us and we didn't know what the best decision was and there was no one to talk it through on the weekend...We originally had a nurse coordinator [at Shady Grove], Allison, who responded to emails but never checked in on me after procedure or test results on her own. She eventually moved to another clinic and was no longer our coordinator, but she never emailed to tell us so much. We found out from Dr. Devine after the fact. Our new nurse was the same way in that she never reached out to check on me on her own. During our third cycle, it was over a weekend, and I didn't know what to do as far as refill the FSH medication again or not. It is expensive and I didn't want to do it if not necessary but I would absolutely do it if it would help. I was told, I could do it if I wanted to. There was no one to talk to since it was the weekend and it was so incredible stressful. I spoke with one nurse who was on call and she was very comforting but didn't have a great answer for me either. The whole day was filled with waiting for a phone call about the results of my monitoring that morning and stressing over whether or not to refill the prescriptions before the pharmacy closed. I emailed both Allison and Jennifer hoping for some guidance. I understand that they do not work on the weekend and so that's why I didn't hear back, but I also never heard from anyone on Monday or ever after that just to check in and see how it all turned out. Or just to say I'm sorry that was so stressful and we'll be in touch with next steps.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I do feel that Dr. Devine is a good person. I just felt like there were maybe so many patients that I couldn't get the individualized care that I was hoping for. I had to be my own advocate. The first round of IUI was a fire drill. I came in for day 12 monitoring as scheduled and we realized we needed to quick give myself the trigger shot and come back for IUI the next morning. For the second cycle, I was asked to come in on day 12 again. I requested to come in on day 9 since it seemed I ovulate sooner than most people. They said okay and on day 9 I was ready for my trigger shot and were able to follow the typical schedule better by having a day between the trigger and the IUI. In addition, I also felt I had to be the one to ask questions about "is this the right medication for me?" The first round I took Clomid which produced multiple follicles, but thinned my lining. The second round the nurse did not mention anything would be different and I had to say that I did not want to do the exact same thing as it did not work well the first time. Dr. Devine may have already been thinking she would change the medicine too but this was not communicated to me and I had to make that request. The third round of IUI, I had to request again to come in even earlier. The plan was to give additional shots to help follicle growth if needed. I was asked to come in on day 8. Since previously I was ready to ovulate on day 9, I had to request to come in on day 6 so that we had time to give the shots if needed. It seemed like common sense to me (and all the monitoring was included in our price), but it felt like I was not be treated individually based on my previous responses to the medications and IUI. I felt frustrated a lot of times that I needed to be the one to raise questions and change the course rather than the experts helping guide me through the best course for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions and request frequent communication with Dr. Devine. She eventually responded well to this and had better communication with us towards the end of our 3 months.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
As previously mentioned, my first round of IUI was using Clomid. It produced multiple follicles but it thinned my lining and resulted in a negative pregnancy test. There was a standard protocol for all rounds of IUI, which was ultrasound on day 3, medication day 3-8, and monitoring day 12, with usually IUI day 14. Because I seemed to ovulate early, I had to request to come in earlier than the protocol recommended. I also eventually (3rd IUI cycle) had to begin medication on day 2. For my second cycle I was switched to Letrozole. For my third cycle, I continued with the same dose of Letrozole, but gave myself FSH injections multiple times while being monitored each day. Both the second and third cycles of IUI resulted in only one follicle for ovulation and both resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alliosn Lofferdo and Jennifer Wood)
We originally had a nurse coordinator, Allison, who responded to emails but never checked in on me after procedure or test results on her own. She eventually moved to another clinic and was no longer our coordinator, but she never emailed to tell us so much. We found out from Dr. Devine after the fact. Our new nurse was the same way in that she never reached out to check on me on her own. During our third cycle, it was over a weekend, and I didn't know what to do as far as refill the FSH medication again or not. It is expensive and I didn't want to do it if not necessary but I would absolutely do it if it would help. I was told, I could do it if I wanted to. There was no one to talk to since it was the weekend and it was so incredible stressful. I spoke with one nurse who was on call and she was very comforting but didn't have a great answer for me either. The whole day was filled with waiting for a phone call about the results of my monitoring that morning and stressing over whether or not to refill the prescriptions before the pharmacy closed. I emailed both Allison and Jennifer hoping for some guidance. I understand that they do not work on the weekend and so that's why I didn't hear back, but I also never heard from anyone on Monday or ever after that just to check in and see how it all turned out. Or just to say I'm sorry that was so stressful and we'll be in touch with next steps.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are a clean facility with friendly front desk staff. They can get you in and out in the morning which is nice when you're trying to get to work. The weakness is that you don't particularly feel connected to anyone and when you have questions you may not have access to someone who can answer them. There is a MD on call, however you will be charged if you use them and its not an emergency.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
$1800 for each IUI cycle + $50-150 for medications
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I know that Dr. Devine preferred single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples and the complications that can occur with multiple births (prematurity, CLD, etc.)
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Kate Devine