4.8

Kate Devine works at

2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

She [Dr. Devine] is extremely intelligent and cares for her patients, I have no doubt she's a leader in the field, but I do have some outstanding questions on how involved she was every step of the way...called me to discuss options and next steps and really wanted the best for me. The hard part is that she didn't perform any of the procedures and did most of the evaluation of my progress in the background, so I'm not entirely sure how involved she was. I also would have appreciated her educating us on all of our options earlier on and on how IVF works. You don't know the correct questions to even ask during the first couple of meetings.
SGF is a great, professional clinic. That said, it can feel very impersonal at times. I would insist on one nurse contact and to have your doctor perform procedures. I'm not sure that the doctors fully understood my unique situation...You must ask questions, do TONS of research early on, even if some of these treatments won't apply to you, it's important to know and ask about them...Kelsey [nurse] was fantastic. The hiccup occurred when Shady Grove moved to a shared nursing model midway through my treatment. Kelsey is the only nurse I know or met, so when other nurses call me (especially to deliver bad news), it just sounds like a stranger on the line. I would have had an even better experience if Kelsey had been the main point of contact all the way through. I would have felt more comfortable asking questions and feeling supported.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I can't answer this in full yet because I'm still undergoing treatment. She is extremely intelligent and cares for her patients, I have no doubt she's a leader in the field, but I do have some outstanding questions on how involved she was every step of the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be educated and ask questions up front. Ask questions and get specific answers and talk statistics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine called me to discuss options and next steps and really wanted the best for me. The hard part is that she didn't perform any of the procedures and did most of the evaluation of my progress in the background, so I'm not entirely sure how involved she was. I also would have appreciated her educating us on all of our options earlier on and on how IVF works. You don't know the correct questions to even ask during the first couple of meetings.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was fantastic. The hiccup occurred when Shady Grove moved to a shared nursing model midway through my treatment. Kelsey is the only nurse I know or met, so when other nurses call me (especially to deliver bad news), it just sounds like a stranger on the line. I would have had an even better experience if Kelsey had been the main point of contact all the way through. I would have felt more comfortable asking questions and feeling supported.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is a great, professional clinic. That said, it can feel very impersonal at times. I would insist on one nurse contact and to have your doctor perform procedures. I'm not sure that the doctors fully understood my unique situation. I can't fully answer since I'm still undergoing treatment. You must ask questions, do TONS of research early on, even if some of these treatments won't apply to you, it's important to know and ask about them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
it went through insurance, so i'm not sure of the negotiated rates.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Devine recommends SET, as does Shady Grove and we followed that guidance.
Washington DC

[Dr. Devine] definitely has a direct communication style but I have never felt like a number. During my appointments with her, she was always patient enough to answer my questions, and I tend to have a great deal of questions. :) She also provides advice that seems to come from a place of care and concern. I felt more “connected” with her after the first meeting. That also might have been because I was overwhelmed about the process.
I am on round one of IVF with donor sperm [at Shady Grove Fertility]. My protocol includes birth control pills and IVF “shots” to include the trigger shot. I have had to increase my Vitamin D. I also elected for PGA testing. Going straight to IVF instead of IUI made the most sense for my age (42)...[nurses are] very knowledgeable about the process and allowed for extra discussions about it. I’ve asked them both at different times to walk me through a notional timeline.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Divine, from the beginning, has been honest and candid about my fertility options. Given that I am over 40, she shared the scary statistics without making them feel daunting. Instead, she highlighted all possible options including ones I had never considered (e.g., using donor eggs if mine are not viable). Although she has a direct communication style (think: straight, no chaser), I found her candor to be refreshing. You definitely know where you stand, both with her, and your fertility options. After every appointment, I was clear on what to do next. She has been thorough, rigorous and quick minded I implicitly trust that she will do everything possible to ensure that I have the best possible options during this journey. Given that I struggle financially and, like many, juggle other life stresses, it is a relief to have a doctor and medical team who don’t add unnecessary stress due to lack of bedside manner, incompetence, etc. Overall, I am pleased with Dr. Divine and I look forward to having her continue to guide me through this process!
Ask as many questions as you would like. She is patient and thorough! She’s extremely knowledgeable! She will also guide you to nurses for questions they can address.
Dr. Divine definitely has a direct communication style but I have never felt like a number. During my appointments with her, she was always patient enough to answer my questions, and I tend to have a great deal of questions. :) She also provides advice that seems to come from a place of care and concern. I felt more “connected” with her after the first meeting. That also might have been because I was overwhelmed about the process.
I am on round one of IVF with donor sperm. My protocol includes birth control pills and IVF “shots” to include the trigger shot. I have had to increase my Vitamin D. I also elected for PGA testing. Going straight to IVF instead of IUI made the most sense for my age (42)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shiela and Kelsey )
I started with Sheila and ended up with Kelsey when Sheila left SGF. Both were very knowledgeable about the process and allowed for extra discussions about it. I’ve asked them both at different times to walk me through a notional timeline. They literally walked through each step very slowly and deliberately. I felt like I was not alone when we talk through the process. They were also very reassuring. I have appreciated working with them both
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is huge so it is ideal to have questions prepped in advance before making a phone call or laying a visit. Some appointments move very quickly. I would say that if you need to slow them down, advocate for yourself and slow the conversation down. It’s your money, your baby and your experience!
23,500 for the two round bundle deal. 5,000 for PGS testing, 5,076 for medication. Also approx 2,000 for donor sperm. This is all out of pocket for me unfortunately. No insurance coverage outside of the initial visits
No comments on this actually. She mentioned preferring single and it makes sense to me.
Washington DC

Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me...When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI.
I love that the clinic [Shady Grove - DC K St] has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring....I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me-Sheila Ormond who is a phenomenal nurse and support to me during my cycles. When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI. I really wanted to see Dr. Devine and get her real time insights on my cycle. Same thing during my 2nd IUI cycle. Doctor Devine was nowhere in sight. I was assigned a Physicians Assistant who did the IUI. During my 2nd cycle I ran into some complications --my trigger shot did not work! I was sure of it and I needed to speak to Dr. Devine desperately. The nurses did not seem concerned by my pleas to speak with her. They told me that they would handle it and that I should speak to her through them. At that point I reminded them that I am a self-pay patient and I deserved to speak with my doctor. After several hours, she called and we talked at length and she was able to devise a new plan of action. Again, I respect Dr. Devine and her expertise and it is this respect that I have for her that leaves me wanting more contact with her, especially during a complicated cycle.
Have all of your questions written down in advance. She does a great job answering them but you must offer them. If not, she keeps it short and sweet. Also feel free to contribute your thoughts and ideas, after all you are an expert on your own body. She is willing to work with patients when devising treatment plans.
I feel that Dr. Devine treats me like a human being. When she was forced to cancel my first IUI cycle due to over-stimulation she called me personally to tell me and to go over next steps. Since I was paying completely out of pocket she was able to work with me to do my next IUI at no cost, even the meds were provided for me. I really appreciated this gesture.
1st cancelled IUI cycle protocol: Clomid 100 mg CD 2-7, Gonal -F 75 CD7-9, trigger, vaginal prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result: cancelled due to overstim 2nd IUI Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger,Estrace due to thin lining, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result BFN 3rd Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger (trigger failed), 2nd trigger novarel administered intramuscular, Estrace due to thin lining on femera, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result TBD I was started out on a high dose protocol due to an elevated day 3FSH, I overstimmed and I also had strange visual side effects with the clomid so I was switched to femera. Not sure why I was switched to menopur but my nurse said something about it being helpful to my lining? (not sure whether that is coming from any real wisdom or if it was a way to get me to stop asking questions) I was switched to novarel trigger during my 3rd cycle because I did not respond to the Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila Ormond)
Sheila Ormond is a sweet, and helpful Nurse. She answers my questions and lets me know when she cannot and when she cannot she always follows up with Dr Devine in order to get me an answer.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I love that the clinic has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring. The staff keeps the flow of patients moving quickly. The clinic is closed at 4 and for an hour midday for lunch (12-1) I think given its high capacity functioning and sheer number of patients, it should be open for scheduling and calls during the lunch hour. It should also close at 5 (6 even). Other than the morning monitoring hours, the rest of the day's schedule isn't very convenient.
base IUI fee $1800 Meds: $500
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Admittedly, I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer. For example, I asked whether progesterone can be measured in my blood the day after ovulation. I was told by the PA who administered my IUI that it could not. But I knew that it could. It may not be at peak but it would still begin to slowly rise. I pushed for a blood test and sure enough it hadn't moved and that is how Dr. Devine confirmed that I had not in fact ovulated from the trigger.