4.9

Kate Devine works at

2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

I have a history of sexual trauma and Dr. Devine was very sensitive to that history. She did everything she could to minimize triggers and adapted procedures in order to make me feel comfortable...Dr. Devine was very warm, but also straightforward. She actually listened to how my past experiences had shaped my anxiety about treatment and made adjustments to accommodate me. To the extent that was possible, she had her staff schedule my appointments for when she was on the monitoring floor and she came to my monitoring ultrasound appointments.
This location [Shady Grove Fertility] is in the middle of downtown DC and parking was always a challenge. It was difficult to find metered street parking, and garage parking was $22 per day, which could add up when you have to go in for daily monitoring. The waiting room is very busy for the morning monitoring appointments and sometimes the wait was up to 45-50 minutes past the appointment time.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine was very warm, but also straightforward. She actually listened to how my past experiences had shaped my anxiety about treatment and made adjustments to accommodate me. To the extent that was possible, she had her staff schedule my appointments for when she was on the monitoring floor and she came to my monitoring ultrasound appointments. She was warm and reassuring and made me feel confident in her decisions as a provider.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be very honest about any of your treatment concerns with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My diagnosis was an anovulation due to PCOS. Dr. Device prescribed 7.5 mg letrozole taken on days 3-7 with follicle monitoring starting on day 11. When the follicle was mature, she had me do an Ovidrel trigger shot followed by timed intercourse, and then progesterone suppositories for the remainder of the cycle. She was able to successfully induce ovulation three times and I got pregnant on the third month.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Dr. Devine's nursing team were very responsive to all of my messages. I didn't interact with them much in person, but they were friendly over the phone. The medical assistants that I encountered every morning for monitoring appointments left much to be desired. They never read my chart, which specifically said that I was only to have transabdominal ultrasounds, and they routinely argued with me when I told them I did not need to get undressed for the ultrasound. They were often rude when I declined to get undressed, and multiple times I could hear them standing on the other side of the door telling the doctor/ultrasound tech that I "wasn't cooperating." My history of sexual trauma was written as a warning in my chart as was a very clear "TAUS only" warning.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This location is in the middle of downtown DC and parking was always a challenge. It was difficult to find metered street parking, and garage parking was $22 per day, which could add up when you have to go in for daily monitoring. The waiting room is very busy for the morning monitoring appointments and sometimes the wait was up to 45-50 minutes past the appointment time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered only 50%, so every single monitoring appointment was approximately $115 out of pocket, and there are a lot of monitoring appointments.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
N/A - I did not do IVF
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.

Embryo Freezing
Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier...Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that....you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up
Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for...I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go....I would say that the nurses are highly variable. ...Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that. I went to her to preserve my fertility because I had a difficult time getting and being pregnant with my first child. That evolved into me actually trying to get pregnant with a second child - this has not happened yet and we've moved onto getting a gestational carrier and will be working with Shady Grove to do this. We decided it would be a good idea to create embryos right away after having our first child (in part because my insurance actually covered it and I had the time). I got amazing results from the one IVF cycle that I did at Shady Grove: 28 eggs retrieved, 24 were mature, 21 fertilized, 16 made it to day 5 embryos and were frozen, and 8 were genetically normal (2 of the 16 were re-biopsed because they didn't get conclusive results and one was normal and the other was not). That was awesome. However, during the IVF cycle, we discovered that I had "Asherman's Syndrome" still or again - I had it before my first child was born but thought it was treated. It either wasn't totally treated or it recurred from a c-section. We then discovered that even when the scars sticking the sides of the uterus were cleared I still seem to have an abnormally thin lining that tends to collect fluid during treatments that raise my estrogen level - there seems to be a trade-off between thickening the lining and increasing the fluid. Neither of these things is good for implantation. Ugh. I've now had 3 more hysteroscopies since doing IVF (I had 3 prior to having my first child)and done 2 questionable transfers of genetically normal embryos to suboptimal lining conditions at Shady Grove (under the theory that I got pregnant before with a very thin lining - 4mm). My lining does not make it out of the 4mm range. We've now called it quits on the transfers and we are officially moving onto a gestational carrier, as noted above. Dr. Devine actually thought I should go straight to a GC the first time I met with her based on the trauma of my first pregnancy (di-tri triplets, multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, debilitating nausea, intrauterine growth restriction, c-section at 36 weeks and 3 pound 11 ounce baby). But I insisted on trying again to get pregnant. I am calling it quits because it's been 4 years of infertility taking over my life, more than 5 different fertility doctors (not to mention the other ob/gyns and MFMs involved), 2 miscarriages, 2 partial ovarian torsions, 1 botched D&C, 1 multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, 1 c-section, 1 amazing baby with scary terrible pregnancy, 6 hysteroscopies, 2 unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers, and countless random doctors and nurses telling me that my uterus doesn't look good on ultrasound. I can honestly say that the least stressful part of this whole experience was actually my IVF cycle at Shady Grove. That was a total nothing. Worked out great. Can't ask for better results.
If you want someone warm and fuzzy, I would not go to Dr. Devine. If you want someone who will be straight with you, Dr. Devine is amazing. I must tell you that because of how Shady Grove works, you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up but sometimes it's not at a convenient time for you so you end up relying on what other doctors and nurses are saying. This is not a problem with Dr. Devine; this is more just about how the Shady Grove practice works. Everything is high quality, but you don't get your hand held by one person. You have A LOT of access to your nurse, but not as much access to your doctor.
It is so hard to review doctors when you are still in the process of being treated by them and don't know what will result! Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier and I was actually able to hear that. HOWEVER, Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for. So I do sometimes feel like a number there. It's not a warm and fuzzy place. But I'm in a spot with my fertility issues where I don't really need warm and fuzzy right now. I just need the care to be good and I do think Shady Grove has an excellent lab. One thing to watch for is that you have a ton of access to nurses and other ancillary staff at Shady Grove but it can be hard to schedule time to actually talk to your doctor. On the other hand, I don't really need to talk to my doctor all of the time now anyway. I am not having any medical emergencies, etc. Mixed feelings. But yes, when I talk to Dr. Devine, she treats me very much like a human.
I actually don't remember the specifics of the drugs I took for my one IVF cycle with Dr. Devine. She was concerned about over-stimulating me (I have PCOS and am very responsive to fertility drugs and have had partial ovarian torsion twice). She managed to maximize the number of mature eggs while not over-stimulating me which was great. The rationale for doing IVF was to preserve my fertility since I was 36, my insurance covered it, and I had a hard time conceiving my first child due to Asherman's Syndrome. It's now totally awesome that we have the embryos because we are pursuing a gestational carrier. Okay, here's the complicated thing that happened while I saw Dr. Devine: I wanted to get a hysteroscopy from my old doctor in San Francisco because he had already performed 2 hysteroscopies. I went to him in December of 2016. On hysteroscopy, he thought my uterus looked pretty good and put me on an estrogen therapy protocol. Every single time I went in to have my lining checked at Shady Grove during the estrogen therapy protocol, the lining was still really thin and my California doctor thought I should keep taking the estrogen. Dr. Devine didn't think the estrogen therapy was working. I went with the California doctor's advice because he had helped me in the past and I had had a successful pregnancy. Dr. Devine might be right that it wasn't working. I don't really know. Anyway, I did the estrogen therapy for 3 months. Then I did two unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers. Both cycles were really confusing because my lining didn't look great (still thin and fluid-filled), I was in the process of moving to New York City and was doing outside monitoring and seeing random clinicians for the measurements/assessments of my uterine lining. I would take a picture on my phone of the image of my uterus and send it to Dr. Devine's nurse because outside monitoring does not actually send the images (just a written report). I don't even know what to say about that experience. Outside monitoring is just a really really terrible experience if you have a uterine lining problem. It was terrible but not because of anything Dr. Devine did. She was very clear about the likelihood of success with these transfers not being great (as mentioned above, she is very good about setting expectations - and in my case, setting them low). This all prompted me to actually get another doctor in New York City. This New York doctor partnered really well with Dr. Devine and that was great. They knew, liked, and respected each other and I felt like I was in much better hands once that occurred. I really wish someone at Shady Grove had encouraged me to actually see a doctor in New York sooner (and not just do outside monitoring). I only got another doctor because I took the initiative. The nurse at Shady Grove made it seem like it was no big deal to do outside monitoring and let me tell you it really really was for me. It was expensive, time-consuming, and frustrating.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would say that the nurses are highly variable. I had a few nurses who were absolutely amazing (Sheila Ormond, most notably). They are so responsive and compassionate and because of how the practice is run you end up interacting with them a lot and they really know and understand your situation. However, it's uneven - I randomly had a nurse for a few weeks during a time when I was doing outside monitoring who was unresponsive and had no idea what was going on with my case. She got re-assigned (perhaps after I complained, though I'm not sure). I now have a gestational carrier coordinator who seems great. But yeah, I would say it's variable. The nice thing about a "factory" place is that because of the sheer volume of nurses, you can probably complain and get re-assigned easily to someone really good.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I'm repeating myself. Shady Grove is a "factory" and there are pluses and minuses to this. I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go. I am happy with Shady Grove because I did a successful cycle of IVF there and I feel like they have adapted well to my evolving situation (moving to New York, involving another doctor, moving onto a gestational carrier).
They weren't too bad. My insurance actually covered a round of IVF so that was minimal cost. We also had a physician discount of 20% (my husband is a physician) on other procedures. The thing that was really expensive was actually the outside monitoring that I did in New York City. So be prepared for that. Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general. But I was not prepared for the cost of outside monitoring.
Dr. Devine is a huge advocate of eSET. I'm sure there are specific situations where she would be okay with a multiple embryo transfer. But not for me!
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
A couple of issues - because you are always seeing different nurses and doctors, sometimes they don't know the whole history and things get lost in translation. My situation is legitimately confusing so I'm not blaming anyone. However, I had a saline ultrasound test where the doctor (not Dr. Devine) flipped what side of my uterus was collapsed and this mattered because it made me feel like I now had scarring on the opposite side. We figured out that it was a mix up. Also, when I had a random nurse for a few weeks who I did not like, I found her to be unresponsive so it was harder to do things like get prescriptions sorted out.
Washington DC

Dr. Devine expressed empathy and spoke clearly to me- she would explain the medical terminology then break it down into more digestible language. She ALWAYS called me back same day and sometimes on weekends. ...I felt that Dr. Devine was most effective in the times that I was struggling, nervous, or unhappy...She isn't a hand holder, so when she gives you information, think carefully about what questions you need to ask to feel comfortable.
I really only have good things to say [about Shady Grove]. The practice runs like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and effective...Alison Loffredo was the best nurse of the three and I also dealt with her during my OHSS so it was a bit more complicated. She explained the test results well - what my results were and what the normal range was...In all of the monitoring appointments for four cycle, I only had one time where I had to wait for a while
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was under Dr. Devine's care for over a year. At every step she would lay out the plan then we would talk it through. After a surprisingly unsuccessful first IVF, we regrouped and she presented a new plan. When that plan didn't work, I asked if she would ask other SGF doctors what they thought. I thought I was being a little pushy and that she might have felt that I was losing confidence in her. I wasn't, I just wanted a little additional reassurance. She did exactly as I asked and called me to discuss their thoughts as well as her own. When she presented her own opinion, I felt even more confident because she had the input of her colleagues. She was very responsive and supportive, but struck the right balance as my doctor. Even after two failed cycles, she said, "we will keep going and we will get this to work." When I had a successful third cycle that produced 2 genetically normal embryos, I asked for her guidance in whether or not to do another cycle. She gave me really helpful advice and I decided to do another cycle to produce more embryos. I was glad that I did. One of the things I liked most about Dr. Devine is that when I was frustrated, she was frustrated and when I was successful, she felt successful. We worked as a team and I have a high degree of trust in Dr. Devine and the entire practice.
Dr. Devine is direct but nice. She isn't a hand holder, so when she gives you information, think carefully about what questions you need to ask to feel comfortable. She has all the information for you, but you need to be proactive in sharing it and also expressing how you are feeling about the process. Don't be afraid to speak up. I felt that Dr. Devine was most effective in the times that I was struggling, nervous, or unhappy. If you ask for help and guidance, she will absolutely provide it, but she is cautious to not assume what you need from her.
Dr. Devine expressed empathy and spoke clearly to me- she would explain the medical terminology then break it down into more digestible language. She ALWAYS called me back same day and sometimes on weekends. She would occasionally just check in and the one time I needed some reassurance from her, she told me to come in right away. She was responsive and caring, but without being overly emotional or warm. She struck the right balance as my doctor.
Cycle 1- standard protocol, Menopur and Gonal F, Lupron trigger (suggested because my test results were very good). This cycle produced 1 embryo that did not implant. Cycle 2- Lupron microdose flare- suggested for poor responders. Still not a great response, only 1 embryo that did not transfer. Cycle 3- high dose Menopur, Gonal F, and HCG trigger. Worked much better and produced 2 PGS normal embryos, unfortunately, I developed OHSS. Cycle 4- same protocol as #3, slightly lower HCG. Great results. 4 PGS normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I had three: Liz, Alison, Jennifer)
Alison Loffredo was the best nurse of the three and I also dealt with her during my OHSS so it was a bit more complicated. She explained the test results well - what my results were and what the normal range was. While I had the OHSS, she was extremely responsive and checked in with me often.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really only have good things to say. The practice runs like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and effective.
In all of the monitoring appointments for four cycle, I only had one time where I had to wait for a while and it was on a weekend at 9am, when patient load is heavy. This part is well run.
I was able to squeeze insurance coverage for 3 cycles and paid for one out of pocket ($15,500 for IVF with ICSI and a FET).
Yes, Dr. Devine was very clear that only 1 embryo was appropriate for me given my age. I agreed.

2019, Consult
We loved the inclusivity of SGF. They offer a LGBTQ-friendly session for folks considering treatment and did a great job of making us feel included in their mission. We recommend SGF for all folks that can’t find a safe space elsewhere for their LGBTQ fertility journey...We met Dr. Devine in 2019 for a LGBTQ Fertility overview/consultation. She was incredibly warm, inclusive, and informative. She put us at ease to begin our fertility journey at SGF... began the consultation with a warm welcome and was very thorough in her explanation of IUI processes for queer couples - unlike anything we’ve seen before. She helped us weigh our options and provide options for us that cater to our needs as clients... we did not receive treatment strategies but she did offer a variety of options for us in our fertility journey.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine began the consultation with a warm welcome and was very thorough in her explanation of IUI processes for queer couples - unlike anything we’ve seen before. She helped us weigh our options and provide options for us that cater to our needs as clients.
Be open and honest with her. She will hear your concerns and address them with a realistic plan.
Since we only had our consultation/LGBTQ session with her, we did not receive treatment strategies but she did offer a variety of options for us in our fertility journey.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.