Fertility Center of Maryland

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolDuke
410-296-6400
110 West Road Suite
Towson, MD 21204
410-296-6400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Katherine Bass to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Center of Maryland to a friend?
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
I found Dr. Bass to be professional, compassionate, and direct. She communicated difficult information well, but was not touchy-feely. She was willing to answer all of my questions, and provided me with the type of information I was interested in (ie- studies, pros and cons of certain testing). She consulted a colleague after my negative test and seemed to put thoughtful effort into my case. I think she is very well-suited to her job. I did not notice weaknesses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
I don't have specific advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
She spent as much time as we needed during the initial consultation, post-IVF phone call, and visit, to answer all of our questions. She was direct and honest, and compassionate. I appreciated the personal approach.
Describe the protocols Katherine Bass used in your cycles at Fertility Center of Maryland and their degree of success.
She used micro-flare protocol (micro-dose lupron) given my poor response to previous Antagonist protocols. She also suggested doing a 3 day transfer rather than a 5 day, given my history of poor/average embryo quality. ICSI was performed. She recommended 1 -2 embryos be transferred. In our first IVF cycle with her, all 3 of our embryos were average and I've had many implantation failures in the past, we transferred two. I did not get pregnant. In the second, we had a better response with 4 good-looking day 3 embryos. We transferred 2 and froze 2. Unfortunately the transfer was not successful and our frozen embryos did not survive the thaw, so FET was cancelled. If I do a final cycle, her recommendation is to try to get a blast, even if it means not having a transfer.
I thought the nurses were good. They were easy to get in touch with and provided me all information I asked about.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
The staff was helpful, learned my name quickly, and generally accommodated me efficiently. I never had to wait longer than would be reasonable. The patient has to call in every day for a results at a specific time, which was not problematic for me but perhaps could be if that time interfered with a work meeting or something like that.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Center of Maryland.
There was only one day when I had to wait, but it was understandable due to inclement weather. Overall, I was able to be seen within a few minutes of arriving.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland.
My insurance covered 50%. I reached my out of pocket max of 2750 immediately and spent about $600 on medications after insurance. I have looked into using an egg donor with this clinic but costs are higher than other clinics so I will change providers if I end up going that route.
Describe Katherine Bass's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Center of Maryland.
Yes, eSET is preferred. However he quality of my embryos and my previous implantation failures led them to transfer 2 both times.
Towson
Dr. Bass was kind and knowledgeable. She doesn't sugarcoat things which I appreciate in a doctor but she was also hopeful we would have success. She was always open to answering any questions or concerns I had too. She also gave me some input in to what to do during my cycles which I really appreciated... On my first IVF cycle we did the long lupron protocol. I was too suppressed and responded poorly so we did not go through with the retrieval. We instead used a HCG trigger and timed intercourse.
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
If you're looking for a smaller clinic that can handle even tough cases, please contact Dr. Bass.
Everyone at the Fertility Center of Maryland was kind and compassionate.
On my first IVF cycle we did the long lupron protocol. I was too suppressed and responded poorly so we did not go through with the retrieval. We instead used a HCG trigger and timed intercourse. This did not result in a pregnancy. My second cycle we used the microdose flare protocol. We ended up with 4 embryo's. We transferred 2 high quality day 3 embryos. The other two embryos were not good enough quality to freeze. This did not result in a pregnancy. My third cycle we did the estrogen patch protocol. We had 6 poor and fair quality embryos. We transferred 2 fair quality day 3 embryos. This resulted in my daughter!
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the nursing staff at The Fertility Center of Maryland. I LOVED every single nurse there. They were incredibly kind, compassionate and excellent nurses. They really cared about the patients and let you know they were rooting for you.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
The entire staff at Fertility Center of Maryland was great! I loved the doctors, nurses, embryologist, front desk employees and benefits employees. Everyone was very helpful and nice. The hours are also really convenient. I was able to get all my blood work done before work every day.
The monitoring appointments were efficient. For blood work you came during a specific time slot and for ultrasounds and blood work another time slot. For blood work results you called the clinic after one and they gave you the results and any adjustments to your medications.
I did not have any insurance coverage. The global cost for 1 round of IVF was $8,500 for the first round. They would knock off $500 for each subsequent round. You could also purchase packages. I also had to pay out of pocket for medications but they were very helpful with finding coupons or giving me donated medications.
2013 - 2015
My biggest issue with her [Dr Bass] is she completely missed my husband's undiagnosed varicoceles, and even when I suggested several times that he go see a urologist for testing, she always insisted his numbers were "fine for IUI and IVF." She was wrong, and when I insisted on sending him to a urologist anyway, he needed surgery. After his surgery we conceived naturally on our own 9 months later.
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Bass is very blunt and no-nonsense. She does a good job of explaining things in laymen's terms so the patient understands, but could have a warmer bedside manner. My biggest issue with her is she completely missed my husband's undiagnosed varicoceles, and even when I suggested several times that he go see a urologist for testing, she always insisted his numbers were "fine for IUI and IVF." She was wrong, and when I insisted on sending him to a urologist anyway, he needed surgery. After his surgery we conceived naturally on our own 9 months later.
Follow your gut and be your own best advocate - doctors can miss things.
First IVF cycle was an agonist protocol, 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized, 2 made it to 5 day blast (one transferred, one frozen). Chemical pregnancy. Second IVF cycle was a microdose protocol, 20 eggs retrieved, 14 fertilized, but only 2 made it to 5 day blast. Both transferred. Chemical pregnancy.
The nurses were very sweet, knowledgeable, and warm and definitely put the patient at ease.
Pretty easy and efficient, monitoring hours were 7-9am so I was able to easily go before work.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Center of Maryland?
2014 - 2018
We used Clomid [with Dr. Bass], which was adjusted each time. IUIs went from pills to injectablea and also were adjusted. IVF treatment was BCP cycle and then stims...was confident and compassionate. She eased our fears and was very detailed. I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen. She took the time to answer questions, etc., and I never felt rushed. Both my husband and I were very impressed.
2014 - 2018
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
Dr. Bass was confident and compassionate. She eased our fears and was very detailed. I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to be seen. She took the time to answer questions, etc., and I never felt rushed. Both my husband and I were very impressed.
Make sure you arrive with questions in hand.
They know me by name, and ask how my children are.
We used Clomid, which was adjusted each time. IUIs went from pills to injectablea and also were adjusted. IVF treatment was BCP cycle and then stims.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Center of Maryland. (Assigned nurse: Sharon)
The nursing staff is amazing!! You can call and ask to speak to a nurse at any time. They give helpful advice, and will answer any questions.
Describe your experience with Fertility Center of Maryland.
I can’t think of a single weakness. I liked the small size of the clinic, because everyone knows who you are. I never had to wait more than 5min to be seen. They are very thouroughly and clearly want to see the best for you and your family.
Very efficient!!
My insurance paid a lot, but we paid around 10,000.
ESET was preferred.
2009 - 2015
She [Dr. Bass] is a very good fertility doctor. However, her people skills are lacking,..A lot of the concerns i had were pushed off an not take very seriously which i feel resulted in worse complications.
2009 - 2015
How was your experience with Katherine Bass at Fertility Center of Maryland?
She is a very good fertility doctor. However, her people skills are lacking, She often comes off as phony. There is no emotion behind her comments. A lot of the concerns i had were pushed off an not take very seriously which i feel resulted in worse complications.
If you don't require genuine concern from the doctors treating you, she may be a good fit. But if rapport is important, she may not be a good fit.
Most of the time, staff had very poor people skills. no compassion. it was a shuffle to get you in and out. Always a rush and was not very detailed when answering questions or concerns.