Medical SchoolU. of Texas
929 Gessner
Houston, TX 77024
7400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77054
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Katherine McKnight to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend CCRM Houston/Houston IVF to a friend?
My doctor, Dr. McKnight, was out of the office during my first embryo implant. We had decided on 2 embryos, along with Dr. McKnight’s recommendation - but right before the implant, the doctor performing the procedure wrote up everything for only 1 embryo. When we pointed out the error, he came in to try to talk us into only transferring 1, in order to avoid a higher risk of multiples. In the end, he allowed us to transfer 2 as planned
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She was upfront in her communication, but also extremely encouraging and sympathetic. IVF is trying and emotional, and she was very supportive and uplifting throughout the process. We had 2 miscarriages and we just delivered a healthy baby boy a month ago!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Write down your questions ahead of time, as you’ll likely forget them at the appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She really cared about us and met with us to answer all questions, before IVF, as well as after each failed attempt to determine our next course of action. She was amazing!
Describe the protocols Katherine McKnight used in your cycles at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF and their degree of success.
My husband had a vasectomy years ago and recently had it reversed. The reversal was successful, in that there was sperm flow, it just wasn’t as strong as we had hoped. Since I was mid-30s and my husband in his mid-40s, we wanted to get pregnant quickly. Dr. McKnight reviewed our tests and recommended IVF as our best course of action. We discussed doing IUI as well, as it is less invasive and less expensive; Dr. McKnight was supportive of us trying IUI as well, but we ultimately went with IVF as the success rates are much higher and we didn’t want to waste any time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy Gerow)
The nursing staff was fantastic. Over the course of our three IVF cycles, I became close with several of the nurses there, and even emailed my nurse with questions during my pregnancy, after we had technically graduated from the IVF clinic.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Very clean and professional. A huge benefit is that they take early appointments, at 7 or 7:30 (I can’t remember the earliest), so I wasn’t really late going to work. They also do a great job of getting you in and out quickly on the days of just blood work or ultrasounds. The waiting room is comfortable and all staff are very welcoming.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I honestly don’t remember the exact numbers; my insurance covers IVF up to a lifetime max of $25 M.
Describe Katherine McKnight's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
We discussed transferring either 1 or 2 embryos each cycle; given my age and health, Dr. McKnight would only transfer a maximum of 2 embryos each cycle, but left it up to us if we wanted to implant 1 or 2.
Houston - Gessner
PCOS, Unexplained
Only met with Dr. McKnight at our initial consult. Never saw her again after that day. All other interactions were with the medical staff...Dr. McKnight lacked the warmth and compassion I expected. My husband felt the same way. There was no desire to truly figure out why we weren't getting pregnant, just go down the pathway of medicated timed intercourse, then IUI, then IVF... Overall, I just felt like Dr. McKnight had no personal interest in my success so we transferred to another clinic after that first cycle...Ask up front how often you will see her and how can you get in touch with her directly if you have questions.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. McKnight lacked the warmth and compassion I expected. My husband felt the same way. There was no desire to truly figure out why we weren't getting pregnant, just go down the pathway of medicated timed intercourse, then IUI, then IVF. I had several questionable things occur during my cycle that she did not have an explanation for. For example, I had an 18 day luteal phase during my medicated cycle. Pregnancy test was negative. When I asked why it had lasted so long, I was just told by the nurse "we don't know, just call us when your period starts so we can start the next cycle." There was no input from Dr. McKnight whatsoever. Through my own research I found out it was likely a luteal cyst. Overall, I just felt like Dr. McKnight had no personal interest in my success so we transferred to another clinic after that first cycle.
Only met with Dr. Mckinght at our initial consult. Never saw her again after that day. All other interactions were with the medical staff. Most of the time they were not warm or personable. I basically just came in for my ultrasound and blood work then left with no explanation of what what the plan was or what the treatment rationale. It definitely felt like a factory and like if you weren't doing IVF you were not a priority.
We only stayed with her for one cycle. This was my first treatment cycle ever. I have suspected PCOS. I used letrozole 5 mg days 3-7 with an Ovidrel trigger and timed intercourse. I had two monitoring ultrasounds during the cycle that showed 3 developed follicles. It resulted in a negative pregnancy test and an extremely long luteal phase likely due to a corpus luteal cyst.
I did not have a good experience with the nursing staff. For some reason in my chart it said I was doing an IUI cycle, but we were actually doing timed intercourse. Every time I called they would refer to my cycle being IUI despite my correcting them each time. This tells me they never made the changes in my chart. There was also incorrect information relayed to Dr. McKnight and back to me from her. Overall, poor quality staff.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Clinic seems focused on IVF patients only. You are not assigned a nurse apparently unless you are doing IVF. Every time I called I spoke to someone different and there was miscommunication frequently. Clinic had a cold sterile feel to it. No one was particularly friendly towards us. Some people seem to have had a pleasant experience with them, but both my husband and I had the same feeling and decided we did not want to continue with them after our first cycle. Had much better experience elsewhere in Houston.
$400 for a monitored timed intercourse medicated cycle
Houston - Fannin
She's [Dr. Katherine McKnight] kind, compassionate and yet self assured and breeds confidence. You can sense she has the experience. She is also a bit more conservative, which I appreciate...IVF with chromosomal screening (because of multiple pregnancy losses likely due to chromosomal abnormalities). Transfer one tested embryo TK reduce risk of twins...My nurse was probably one of the better ones. The others are really ditzy and it's frustrating to interact with them. I also wish there was a 24 hr nurse's help like. Maybe that's asking too much. But when you are going through such an expensive procedure and learning to use expensive injectable meds for the first time, it would be important to have someone available to help even at 9 pm.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
She's kind, compassionate and yet self assured and breeds confidence. You can sense she has the experience. She is also a bit more conservative, which I appreciate.
Dr. McKnight herself is incredibly kind, and has been in every interaction no matter how short or long. She lets me ask my myriad questions even when I come in for a simple ultrasound check. That said, I'm always one of a dozen in the waiting room and lab waiting to get our morning screenings. It feels a bit like an IVF factory. And the schedules of medications, appts etc are typically made to accommodate the doctor's work week.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Their support staff is largely sub par. There is one standout - shilpa! She's smart and sweet but relatively junior. The insurance/billing Dept is a joke. Unresponsive and unhelpful. The medicine calendar instructions are ridiculously antiquated and complicated. Can they not create something digital?? That would automatically update as you go?
$15-20K for IVF with chromosomal screening
Houston - Fannin
She [Dr Katherine McKnight] goes out of her way to talk through everything, and help us understand what is going on. She doesn't rush through appointments and makes sure that you have what you need for next steps. She is willing to meet us where we are at with treatments, and explains why she thinks something will or not work. She doesn't treat us like we are just another number in the clinic, but really makes you comfortable in the care you are receiving.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Dr. McKnight is very caring and compassionate. She goes out of her way to talk through everything, and help us understand what is going on. She doesn't rush through appointments and makes sure that you have what you need for next steps. She is willing to meet us where we are at with treatments, and explains why she thinks something will or not work. She doesn't treat us like we are just another number in the clinic, but really makes you comfortable in the care you are receiving.
If you have any questions on what is going on, just reach out to your nurse. Dr. McKnight communicates well through the nurses. If you don't receive an answer you like, or feel like you are not on the same page, set up an in person meeting.
Dr. McKnight goes out of her way to walk us through her thoughts on our treatment plans, what options we have, asking questions on how we feel about the steps we are taking, and understands when we need to take a break.
I have had a previous pregnancy, with the help of fertility treatments in a different state. Given this Dr. McKnight is very encouraging that I can once again get pregnant and is willing to follow my cue on trying IUI before moving to IVF. We have done 3 cycles of IUI, all resulting in negative pregnancy tests. The first IUI was Clomid days 5-9, and IUI ended up on CD 21. I ovulated prior to doing the trigger shot. I only had 1 dominate follicle for IUI #1. IUI #2 - Clomid days 5-9, trigger shot on CD 18 (only 1 dominate follicle), IUI on CD 20. IUI#3 - Clomid day 3-7, trigger on CD 15 (only 1 dominate follicle), IUI on CD 17. Currently on a treatment break, as we've decided to have lap surgery prior to next treatment, which we've discussed will be injectables with IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Amelia)
Amelia is very attentive, quick, and responsive. She is always very compassionate when taking calls, or in person. The rest of the staff has always been very kind as well.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I really think that this Clinic has things down to a very good system. I know some people are bothered by not seeing the doctor every time they come in, but it is very obvious that the staff are in constant contact with the Doctors to make sure they your treatment is going well. The opening of their new location on Fannin has make things even easier for me.
IUI with Clomid/Letrozol was reasonable - $1,000 a cycle. IUI with injectables was $2,000 a month + cost of meds. I don't remember specifics on IVF, but it is lower that 2 other places in our area.
Houston - Fannin
I always felt completely comfortable with Dr. McKnight and enjoyed meeting with her. My only criticism was that I'm not sure if there was a ton if communication between her and my nurse about me other than just the pure blood work numbers. I had actually moved out of state between my consultation and my FET and she was unaware at the time of my transfer that I had been doing outside monitoring.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Go with her, she's great!
Dr. McKnight was very friendly and I felt very comfortable around her. While still very professional, she still was easy going and was very positive throughout my FET cycle.
I had an FET transfer, starting with birth control pills to regulate my cycle and then followed by Lupron injections, estrogen, and progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy)
My nurse was very helpful and I enjoyed speaking with her. My only complant was she was out of the office a lot. I don't want to judge since I don't know the reason behind it, but it was sometimes inconvenient when I had questions.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
I've always felt in good hands with Houston IVF. They're clinic and office is very professional. It is a large clinic so if you want a more personal experience, this might not be the clinic for you. I, however felt completely comfortable with them and that I was given the best chance for pregnancy while with them.
I believe my FET was about $4500.
My two embryos were actually frozen together so we chose to transfer both. We were told it was most likely safe to thaw and refreeze one of our embryos, but we chose not to take the chance.
2014 - 2017
I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet. I feel like she is an excellent Doctor...Do research and ask for what you want. If you think there might be some alternatives that have not been suggested, ask. She actually suggested another medication protocol for my husband and it seems to be working. His doctor had not even suggested it at the time...
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet. I feel like she is an excellent Doctor. She hopes that this works for us and continues down the road with us. She does suggest using donor or have it as back up, but we are not there yet.
Dr McKnight is an excellent Doctor. She cares about me and what I am going through.
I had two egg retrievals and froze my eggs for when they could retrieve sperm. I used Lupron, follistim, menopur , birth control pills, and an oral steroid for my cycles. I think asking for an hsg is a good idea before a potential transfer to make sure nothing might be blocking things up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Judy gerow)
She was a great nurse. She worked with me on schedules and answered all calls and emails ASAP.
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
Make sure to ask lots of questions. There is acupuncture on site for pre and post transfer .
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
They set up the majority of appointments in the early morning hours so that you can get to work.
My benefits are excellent, but average retrieval and transfer run 12-15k plus meds.
Houston - Fannin
Give her [Dr. Katherine McKnight] the time and confidence. She will hug you and cry with you but has your best interest at heart.... She was very kind and very patient. That’s what I needed. And I cried on our last appointment. She is the best! CJ and Tiffany were so special too. This business has got to be hard but ehh made it so amazing.... Dr. McKnight was amazing through the whole process.
How was your experience with Katherine McKnight at CCRM Houston/Houston IVF?
Give her the time and confidence. She will hug you and cry with you but has your best interest at heart.
They always new my name and we’re so patient. I also enjoyed the hugs I received!
Describe your experience with CCRM Houston/Houston IVF.
The clinic was patient and friendly. They always knew my name and remembered me. I was so sad to leave. Though I was so happy and thrilled to be pregnant. Dr. McKnight was amazing through the whole process.