Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Buffalo
Staten Island
1855 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-283-8601
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Katherine Melzer Ross to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Katherine Melzer Ross] was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach...Did unmedicated IUI, did medicated IUI with letrozole and trigger, and eventually did one round of IVF...Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results.
8 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
She was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach. Not a weakness of hers but while she was out on leave, her replacement was not my favorite doctor, and this doctor ended up performing significant portions of my treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Just understand the schedule of all the offices, and despite the satellite offices, understand how much time you will be forced to go to the main office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I was really impressed by the demeanor of the doctors, and that Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results. Ultimately though, I still felt like I was a number and that they just had a protocol that they follow with everyone, especially when Dr. Ross was out.
Describe the protocols Katherine Melzer Ross used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
It is really hit or miss, and there seems to be a lot of turnover. The nurse I saw for monitoring most times was amazing, remembered me, was gentle, kind, rooting for me. Other nurses, including some who did IUI, didn't remember me at all, were rough, said rude things, or didn't communicate well.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The satellite clinics can make monitoring easier. The main doctors are really kind and thoughtful people, who seem to really listen and take the time for you. It can be a grueling process and when you actually see the doctors, it's always a good experience. The nurses are hit or miss, and I ended up having to spend a lot of time going to the main office, which was a big commute for me. I don't feel that my IVF retrieval cycle was handled in the best way possible, but it was a new doctor subbing in, so hopefully she is no longer with the practice.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Some days it was packed and others it was calm and just me. This could definitely be done better. It was also up to patients to track their place in line, ect - which works with some people and not with others.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
IUIs ranged from 3000-5000 depending on protocol they quoted something like 12000 for a round of IVF (plus meds) but in reality it was way more out of pocket for the whole process
Describe Katherine Melzer Ross's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
An issue for me was that I think two different doctors handling my care had different thoughts, Dr. Ross suggested multiple, while a doctor that actually did my transfer suggested only one. In the future, I plan to move forward with two, as was Ross's original advice.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Ross was a beacon of hope in my infertility journey. I had previously been under the care of a different physician in a different clinic who made me feel like a number. Dr. Ross is the exact opposite. She has such a wonderful presence and such positivity. She explains in great detail, with sketches and everything, about your treatment plans and procedures, etc. She is compassionate and understanding. i never felt forced to do anything and I left every appointment with a clear understanding.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Enjoy her and listen. She’s a very knowledgeable doctor.
Dr. Ross is so thorough and caring when discussing and testing, results or treatment plans. Unlike other doctors, she cares in a way you feel like you’re her only patient and everything she does is for you.
I suffer from PCOS and my husband male factor. She was open to IUI during our initial consultation, but after further testing, she acknowledged the low success rate and suggested IVF. Since I don’t cycle normally, she needed to start me on Provera to induce. The protocol she used was moderate. The plan: grow as many great eggs as possible, without putting my body at risk for OHSS. As far as the single fresh embryo transfer - my age was the sole decision maker. One egg if you’re under 35.
The nursing staff at Genesis is too wonderful for words. You can tell they truly love being there. They are accessible always and they are all around pleasant to be around. I looked forward to seeing my nurse for my 6am blood draws and sonograms. They always relayed information thoroughly and promptly.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Genesis couldn’t be better. They have many locations for you to see the doctors, monitoring, etc. They are open every day with a 24 hour emergency line, which I’ve had to use on occasion. It never took longer than 30 min for a call back. The staff is wonderful and their hours are great. You truly feel like you’re their only patient.
Their monitoring schedule is so helpful. Depending on their location, they have different monitoring hours. They started as early as 5:30am for those who work very early and were as late as 8:00am. All monitoring results were given by early afternoon.
Infertility is covered with my insurance. Genesis is considered a Center of Excellence with them as well. Therefore, I had $0 copays in the office and small copays associated with the testing and medicine. All together, we spent about $300.
Because of my age, under 35, Dr Ross would only transfer one embryo.
Staten Island
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Very personal care. Doctor [Melzer Ross] was genuinely hopeful for a good outcome. Responsive to emails, answered all questions...She is honest and caring, tried to help us an any way she could. Easy to communicate with, responsive to emails, etc. She offered both medical and moral support through this tiring process. If you are looking for a doctor that's compassionate and trustworthy, I'd highly recommend her.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Bring all your questions, she will consider them and answer the ones that she can. She is extremely supportive and will take time with you each visit.If you have been down the IVF road before and still have not had success, and are interested in any "experimental" treatments or immunological testing, you will need to be referred elsewhere. She practices evidence-based medicine.
Very personal care. Doctor was genuinely hopeful for a good outcome. Responsive to emails, answered all questions.
IUI- Used Letrozole and Clomid. Clomid produces several follicles, whereas letrozole produced one. IVF-Used antagonist protocol and agonist (lupron) protocol. Agonist produced more mature eggs. Medications were adjusted throughout cycle depending on blood work results.
So friendly and compassionate. Answered my questions in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Clinic is small compared to some to the others in the city, so there is a feeling of personalized care (even in the billing department). Waiting area is comfortable. Sometimes the reception area at the main location was a bit disorganized. Monitoring is done by technicians, not the doctors. Very friendly, supportive atmosphere all around.
Normally didn't have to wait too long. On weekends, the wait time was always much longer.
IVF cycles (without meds) around $10,000. They participated in the NYS IVF Grant program.
We went over the recommendations for number of embryos to be transferred based on age.
Brooklyn
Dr [Katherin Melzer Ross] took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options...She was compassionate and knowledgeable. I had a specific situation and she did not make me feel embarrassed. I felt very comfortable with her and confident, although i did not get to interact with her aside from the consults....Clomid and trigger for IUI
Dr took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options
Clomid and trigger for IUI
Some nurses were better than others. But overall they were compassionate and organized
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths are doctors and decor. Weakness is limited contact with doctors and front desk staff are not always nice. Billing department is difficult and find ways to bill you for every little thing. Monitoring is also very early and crowded
Many many costs for an IUI. Including extra costs that were not explained up front
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
I felt as though she [Dr. Katherine Melzer Ross] honestly wanted to help us get to our goal. She explained everything and took my thoughts and concerns seriously. I was able to reach her via email or phone anytime of the day. She answered all of our questions...she was extremely thorough and compassionate...
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
I felt as though she honestly wanted to help us get to our goal. She explained everything and took my thoughts and concerns seriously. I was able to reach her via email or phone anytime of the day. She answered all of our questions.
Try to relax and trust that everything will work out
she was extremely thorough and compassionate
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic has various offices and locations, makes it very easy to get an appointment. The offices are clean and the staff is professional. The office is not kid friendly which could be an issue for parents.
Dr. Ross transfers one single embryo at a time. I would prefer more but she explained the reasons behind transferring only one