6.1

1855 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
718-283-8601

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Katherine Melzer Ross] was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach...Did unmedicated IUI, did medicated IUI with letrozole and trigger, and eventually did one round of IVF...Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results.
Did unmedicated IUI, did medicated IUI with letrozole and trigger, and eventually did one round of IVF [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine]...It is really hit or miss [with the nurses], and there seems to be a lot of turnover. The nurse I saw for monitoring most times was amazing, remembered me, was gentle, kind, rooting for me. Other nurses, including some who did IUI, didn't remember me at all, were rough, said rude things, or didn't communicate well.
How was your experience with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
She was very kind, attentive, and personable. She is very knowledgeable and great at explaining things. She diagnosed an issue others had missed, and was flexible in her approach. Not a weakness of hers but while she was out on leave, her replacement was not my favorite doctor, and this doctor ended up performing significant portions of my treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Just understand the schedule of all the offices, and despite the satellite offices, understand how much time you will be forced to go to the main office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I was really impressed by the demeanor of the doctors, and that Dr. Ross read my chart before I came in and followed up personally on certain test results. Ultimately though, I still felt like I was a number and that they just had a protocol that they follow with everyone, especially when Dr. Ross was out.
Describe the protocols Katherine Melzer Ross used in your cycles at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
It is really hit or miss, and there seems to be a lot of turnover. The nurse I saw for monitoring most times was amazing, remembered me, was gentle, kind, rooting for me. Other nurses, including some who did IUI, didn't remember me at all, were rough, said rude things, or didn't communicate well.
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The satellite clinics can make monitoring easier. The main doctors are really kind and thoughtful people, who seem to really listen and take the time for you. It can be a grueling process and when you actually see the doctors, it's always a good experience. The nurses are hit or miss, and I ended up having to spend a lot of time going to the main office, which was a big commute for me. I don't feel that my IVF retrieval cycle was handled in the best way possible, but it was a new doctor subbing in, so hopefully she is no longer with the practice.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Some days it was packed and others it was calm and just me. This could definitely be done better. It was also up to patients to track their place in line, ect - which works with some people and not with others.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Katherine Melzer Ross at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
IUIs ranged from 3000-5000 depending on protocol they quoted something like 12000 for a round of IVF (plus meds) but in reality it was way more out of pocket for the whole process
Describe Katherine Melzer Ross's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
An issue for me was that I think two different doctors handling my care had different thoughts, Dr. Ross suggested multiple, while a doctor that actually did my transfer suggested only one. In the future, I plan to move forward with two, as was Ross's original advice.
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I have received conflicting information from different nurses or had to follow-up because some information was unclear. There were a few times when medication was called in to the wrong place or there wasn't a discussion of where it should be sent.
Brooklyn

Most of my cycles [with Dr. Melzer Ross] were without any treatment - just monitoring and then a canceled cycle. I did one Clomid cycle which resulted in a “maybe” mature enough follicle on the side that’s not blocked but that cycle did not work...I had 5 canceled IUI cycles because I ovulated on my blocked side. She seemed bothered with answering my questions and explaining what had happened when I had “leftover follicles” on the side they told me I had no follicles in the previous month.
The monitoring staff [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] were nice, but the nurses that called with results were pretty rude most if the time and did not show any compassion whatsoever. They had no explanations as to why my cycle was canceled month after month. It’s just “what the doctor decided”. The nurse they did my one IUI was nice, but she was the exception...I think the doctors have a lot of knowledge and seem to care initially but there’s no follow up or guidance. In my case procedures were only changed because I asked what I can do next
Initial she was very encouraging and engaged. But I’ve the diagnosis was done she didn’t seem to care much about anything. The nurses did everything. From monitoring to calling and the IUI itself. Dr Ross was available by email but seemed annoyed with answering questions. In the end she didn’t seem to care about the outcome or adjusting my treatments although I had diminished ovarian reserve so clearly time was an issue.
Don’t expect to see your doctor during treatments. When you go for monitoring in that main office, make sure you know how many people are ahead of you. They are very unorganized and skipped me twice because the receptionist crossed me off the list before I was seen
Especially during the first visit Dr Ross was very warm and welcoming. She explained the procedures well and made sure I understood everything. Over time she sheeted to get more annoyed with treating me. I had 5 canceled IUI cycles because I ovulated on my blocked side. She seemed bothered with answering my questions and explaining what had happened when I had “leftover follicles” on the side they told me I had no follicles in the previous month.
Most of my cycles were without any treatment - just monitoring and then a canceled cycle. I did one Clomid cycle which resulted in a “maybe” mature enough follicle on the side that’s not blocked but that cycle did not work.
The monitoring staff were nice, but the nurses that called with results were pretty rude most if the time and did not show any compassion whatsoever. They had no explanations as to why my cycle was canceled month after month. It’s just “what the doctor decided”. The nurse they did my one IUI was nice, but she was the exception
Describe your experience with Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
During monitoring you won’t get any information. They won’t even let you look at the monitor - nor the print outs. Everything is a big secret until the nurse calls you later in the afternoon. The main location seemed fault unorganized at times during monitoring hours and they could benefit from a receptionist that’s a bit more on top of things - especially on the weekends. I think the doctors have a lot of knowledge and seem to care initially but there’s no follow up or guidance. In my case procedures were only changed because I asked what I can do next
I think an IUI was about $700 My insurance covered the dr visits and monitoring
What specific things went wrong at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
I had several canceled cycles but one in particular seemed odd. My previous cycle was cancelled because there were only follicles on my blocked side. However the next cycle had leftover follicles in the side that wasn’t blocked. This just didn’t make sense to me. When I asked the doctor she laughed and said she doesn’t know what happened.
Brooklyn

Dr [Katherin Melzer Ross] took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options...She was compassionate and knowledgeable. I had a specific situation and she did not make me feel embarrassed. I felt very comfortable with her and confident, although i did not get to interact with her aside from the consults....Clomid and trigger for IUI
Some nurses were better than others [at Genesis Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] . But overall they were compassionate and organized...Many many costs for an IUI. Including extra costs that were not explained up front...Strengths are doctors and decor. Weakness is limited contact with doctors and front desk staff are not always nice. Billing department is difficult and find ways to bill you for every little thing. Monitoring is also very early and crowded
Dr took the time to meet with me. I never felt rushed. Her approach seemed individualized and she offered me various options
Clomid and trigger for IUI
Some nurses were better than others. But overall they were compassionate and organized