UCLA

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Nebraska
ResidencyUCLA
FellowshipUCLA
200 UCLA Medical Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095
310-794-7274
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kathleen Brennan to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend UCLA to a friend?
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Dr. Brennan is clearly up to date on the latest scientific advancements in the fertility field. She is also very easy to talk to and never made me feel like I asked any "dumb" questions. I am someone who likes to fully understand all the details of my treatment, and she always took the time, whether in person or via email, to answer all of my questions thoroughly and completely. I always felt well taken care of and like we were doing everything possible to give us the best shot at success. We saw Dr. Brennan at every weekday visit, and did see the other doctors in the practice when we had weekend appointments for monitoring. I can honestly say I fully trusted all of the other doctors as well. Great communication amongst all providers (doctors, residents/fellows, and nurses) in regards to our treatment plan. Even when we saw another doctor on weekends, Dr. Brennan was always contacted to make decisions about any adjustments to our treatment. I felt like everyone was on the same page at all times, which was comforting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Smart, thorough, and easy to talk to. She is very direct and to the point, which we appreciated. Makes you feel like you are being well taken care of and taking every possible approach to achieve success.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Dr. Brennan, Ruthie (nurse), and Megan (nurse) were always on top of the details of my treatment. Everyone was always on the same page and had excellent communication. Each time I called, Megan and Ruthie always gave me personal attention and made sure my questions were answered. Dr. Brennan was always very reachable via email and answered my questions same-day.
Describe the protocols Kathleen Brennan used in your cycles at UCLA and their degree of success.
We tried two IUI's at first, which resulted in negative pregnancy tests. We could've opted to do a third IUI, but instead chose to dive right into IVF. Our protocol consisted of Menopur, Follistim, growth hormone (for egg quality), and dexamethasone. After two cycles/egg retrievals, we ended up with 5 frozen embryos, 2 of which were PGS tested as normal. This was right in line with what Dr. Brennan predicted based on my age at the time of retrieval (37/38). Dr. Brennan performed both of our egg retrievals, and also our (single) frozen embryo transfer (which was a success on the first try!).
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Ruthie, Megan)
AWESOME nursing staff. Both Ruthie and Megan were total rockstars, and on top of any and all adjustments to our treatment protocol at all times. Very organized, which is especially important when it comes to deciding on how much of the EXPENSIVE fertility meds to order at a time, etc. Always available, and always got back to us quickly.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Overall, happy with the clinic as it was what we expected as part of a large academic medical center. Definitely no-frills when compared to some of the other clinics out there (i.e. no chandeliers or velvet couches in the waiting room), but clean, bright, and also with friendly office staff who we got to know well with so many visits. Early morning appointments (as early as 7:30am) are available on weekdays, which was appreciated. Mainly the clinic runs on time, but here and there we did have a bit of a longer wait. Open 7 days a week, with lab conveniently located downstairs in the same building.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
Initial workup (including HSG) and all fertility-related lab monitoring (bloodwork) was covered by insurance. We paid out of pocket for both IUI's, for all ultrasound monitoring (they offer "packages" to pay upfront for this when you start a new IVF cycle so you're not paying at every visit), all medications ($$$), and for all lab fees related to egg retrieval and embryo transfer. They use an outside lab (not part of UCLA) for egg retrieval/storage and embryo transfer, which was state of the art and which we were very pleased with. Once we got pregnant, all ultrasounds were covered by insurance.
Describe Kathleen Brennan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at UCLA.
Based on my age and the fact that our embryos had been PGS-tested, Dr. Brennan pretty strictly recommended that we transfer only a single embryo at a time, which we felt was appropriate based on our own research as well.
Los Angeles
Over the last (nearly) 3 years, Dr. Brennan and I built a good doctor-patient relationship. When she walks in the room and sees me during an appointment, I believe she sees me and not just another patient on her queue...She will mourn with you if you experience a loss, but as a Doctor she is ready to move on faster than you are. She genuinely wants her patients to be happy - which means getting her patients pregnant with a healthy child, as quickly as humanely possible. She will explain things to you - but if you are not clear, ask.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
I initially sought Dr. Brennan because I had experienced a miscarriage in late 2015 and had not conceived again since. I wanted to be sure the pregnancy wasn't a rare occurrence and could happen again. She ordered all the necessary tests and told me I shouldn't have a problem getting pregnant (or maintaining a pregnancy). However, it had been over a year since my pregnancy and she wanted to move forward. We decided to perform our first natural cycle IUI and conceived on the first try. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage as well. But, Dr. Brennan continued to encourage treatment to get pregnant again. I did two more IUI's (with clomid) afterwards, but did not conceive. I conceived my last pregnancy naturally (no IUI), and Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment again. She monitored me until my 12 week appointment, where I chose to continue the pregnancy with a regular. Unfortunately, the fetus was later diagnosed (via CVS) with Turner's Syndrome and I miscarried that pregnancy as well. I recently spoke with Dr. Brennan again and we now both agree that IVF treatment is my best option (with PGS testing). Treatment will begin in 2019 (G-d willing). I am very happy with Dr. Brennan and her care.
At first, it may feel like you are just another patient. However, Dr. Brennan will take care of you. She will mourn with you if you experience a loss, but as a Doctor she is ready to move on faster than you are. She genuinely wants her patients to be happy - which means getting her patients pregnant with a healthy child, as quickly as humanely possible. She will explain things to you - but if you are not clear, ask. She is happy to explain - but needs to know you be clear.
Over the last (nearly) 3 years, Dr. Brennan and I built a good doctor-patient relationship. When she walks in the room and sees me during an appointment, I believe she sees me and not just another patient on her queue .
When we decided to perform our first natural cycle IUI, I was told to take ovulation tests to be accurate regarding my ovulation day. Once I had a positive ovulation test result, I would notify Dr. Brennan's office and schedule the appointment for insemination. My husband would go first in the morning and provide his sperm sample. 90 Minutes later, once the sperm is washed, I would go in for the IUI. After the procedure, she told me to continue laying down for another 10-20 minutes before I got up. Also, advised me that chances of conception increased if my husband and I engaged in intercourse that night and following night. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy and performed an ultrasound each appointment. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in miscarriage. But, Dr. Brennan continued to encourage treatment to get pregnant again. She wanted to have me conceive again, but this time with clomid so that ovulation timing was more precise (due to the trigger shot). The first Clomid cycle I think was with 50 mg (a low dose?), since she did not want to risk me conceiving multiples (she believed a singleton pregnancy was best, as twins are a higher risk pregnant. However, if I did happen to conceive twins she would take the opportunity to observe if once develops normally and one does not). I took the 5 tablets of Clomid (1 each day for 5 days, I believe) and then performed the trigger shot on myself, the day before the IUI procedure. The day of the procedure was the same as above (natural cycle IUI). After the procedure, she told me to continue laying down for another 10-20 minutes before I got up. Also, advised me that chances of conception increased if my husband and I engaged in intercourse that night and following night. I did not conceive. The second IUI cycle was with 75 mg of Clomid. Dr. Brennan still believed that I was at low risk for conceiving multiples - but was also not completely averse to it either. The higher dosage of Clomid was to increase the size of the follicles before the trigger shot was administered. The remaining steps were identical to the first Clomid IUI cycle. I did not conceive. I conceived my last pregnancy naturally (no IUI) - 4-5 months after my last IUI cycle with Clomid. Dr. Brennan monitored the pregnancy (confirmed it via blood test first) and performed an ultrasound each appointment again. She monitored me until my 12 week appointment, where I chose to continue the pregnancy with a regular OBGYN. Unfortunately, the fetus was later diagnosed (via CVS) with Turner's Syndrome and I miscarried that pregnancy as well (natural miscarriage). I spoke with Dr. Brennan about two weeks ago and we now both agree that IVF treatment is my best option (with PGS testing). She and I cannot figure out why my last 3 pregnancies have all ended in miscarriage. We both agree that by doing IVF we can then test all embryo's produced before implantation - therefore significantly reducing the chances of miscarriage. Have not started treatment as of yet due to lack of funding - but there is a plan in place.
They greet you with a smile when they bring you in. They take your weight, height, blood pressure and list of medications before leading you to a room. I usually make small talk with them since I see them with unusual frequency. They are receptive to small talk. After you see Dr. Brennan they also greet you with a smile on your way out.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
This clinic is within UCLA - Los Angeles. It is large. They have doctor's in every field. They have three buildings. The clinic is within one of the OBGYN suites on the second floor of the main medical plaza. It is busy and always filled with people. But, at least everything you need is all in one place.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
All 3 IUI's were paid out of pocket - my health insurance didn't cover the costs. The IUI procedure was discounted since we paid the entire amount up front, but was only done for the first IUI. The first IUI cycle cost me about $300 in total - since it was only the procedure, and no medications were required. The IUI cycles I did with Clomid (2) cost about $500 - $600 each with medications. All prenatal care was covered by my health insurance and only required a co-pay. IVF is also not covered by my health insurance and I will have to pay completely out of pocket. The IVF in it's entirety (for 1 egg retrieval cycle) and including PGS testing will cost an estimated $25,000.
Dr. Brennan and I agreed that eSET is the best option. She believes that multiples in a pregnancy pose a higher risk. For my particular case, only one embryo will be transferred at a time per cycle. Considering that during egg retrieval - it is estimated they will retrieve enough eggs after one retrieval. After the eggs are fertilized and tested via PGS, we expect to have a comfortable number of embryo's to transfer.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I feel very supported throughout this process by Dr. Brennan. I feel like she is knowledgeable and smart about her approaches and also very encouraging. I feel well looked-after and I also feel like she comes to me as a patient from a clinical perspective, which is what I do not have at all, and that's exactly what I need with problem-solving in TTC.... I am still currently undergoing egg freezing with attempt TTC. Dr. Brennan is very straightforward but kind.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
I feel very supported throughout this process by Dr. Brennan. I feel like she is knowledgeable and smart about her approaches and also very encouraging. I feel well looked-after and I also feel like she comes to me as a patient from a clinical perspective, which is what I do not have at all, and that's exactly what I need with problem-solving in TTC. I love that she has a board up of all her families and babies!! She also has a very youthful spirit, and positive energy.
Try to be the very best patient you can be.
I am still currently undergoing egg freezing with attempt TTC. Dr. Brennan is very straightforward but kind. I like that she presents all aspects of treatment but also provides clear and smart guidance. I feel taken care of and like she knows what she is doing, and having never done this before, I need someone who is in charge and also realistic. I also love that despite my complex situation, she is on board with a plan for me. I really appreciate that she is there to help, and I feel that very much from her and her team. Her team is responsive, warm, helpful and patient.
This is something I can't quite comment on yet because we are still in the middle of things, but at the moment we will be using injectibles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at UCLA. (Assigned nurse: Ruthie!)
I absolutely LOVE Ruthie! So smart, so organized, incredibly responsive and very, very supportive. She is very thorough, patient, and you can pick her brain about just anything. She also has a great sense of humour. I really cannot say enough about her.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
I feel very comfortable knowing I am working with UCLA. They have tons of resources all linked to their hospital, it's organized and they have a great reputation. Kind of hard to go wrong here. Everyone at this particular branch is very friendly at the front desk and communicative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
Right now I'm looking at around 15k just for the egg retrieval. Will be more for the actual IVF but hoping insurance will help cover that part of it somewhat.
I am considered AMA, so I think eventually I will be encouraged to do multiple embryo transfer. I am ok with this as it increases chances of birth, and any multiple I would receive with joy :)
Los Angeles
Dr. Brennan is a warm, caring, compassionate doctor. When I had any concerns I always felt like I was heard. She explained everything in detail and made sure I fully understand before leaving any appointment... She was compassionate towards me and my husband, I am a cancer survivor. Dr. Brennan made sure to have a full understanding of my health history.... She even had me see a high risk OB/GYN before we started treatment to make sure I was able to safely deliver. She went above and beyond for me, making sure I was totally comfortable every step of the way.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Dr. Brennan was always kind and had a wonderful bedside manner. She was compassionate towards me and my husband, I am a cancer survivor. Dr. Brennan made sure to have a full understanding of my health history. She looked over my “bible” of health history, before even seeing me a second time in her office. She would even bring in a seasoned physician if she wanted a further opinion. I never had doubt, or felt uncomfortable. Dr.Brennan is truly passionate of seeing her patients dreams come true.
Dr. Brennan put me quickly through a ringer of blood tests and ultra sounds. She even had me see a high risk OB/GYN before we started treatment to make sure I was able to safely deliver. She went above and beyond for me, making sure I was totally comfortable every step of the way.
I unfortunately cannot remember the injection protocol. I know that with what she had me on and with my cancer history, that involved radiation therapy next to one of my ovaries, I was able to have plenty of egg follicles when my cycle was done. It was amazing!
Dr. Brennan were caring and made sure we had clear understanding on the injections. She went over the injection process with us, our own mini injections class. Also, her nurse staff would go over all the financials with us. We had a full understanding of the financial part, there were no surprises or differences than what they gave us per cycle. It was very helpful!
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Dr. Brennan’s clinic is clean, organized, prompt and low waiting time. I always felt in good hands, never frustrated with any call back’s or pharmacy refills. They were always prompt and professional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
I am trying to remember, my health insurance paid for a certain portion. I remember paying around $8k for a cycle, and that would be freezing at retrieval.
I remember this conversation with Dr.Brennan. She was very compassionate on what my husband and I were hoping for. She went over the risks and benefits on how many to transfer. She explained it all into detail with us, and helped us make the right decision.
2013
Dr. Brennan did exactly what was outlined when we first met, went over things in technical detail, and answered my many questions. It did feel like we were quick to jump to injections and manipulating things chemically, but I am not sure what other choices really exist if you are doctor following standard practice.
2013
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Ask about things other than use of pills, injections, etc you can be doing to increase the chances of conceiving.
She always took the time to talk, seemed to remember my specific concerns from time to time, let me cry, etc.
A few months of pills to increase and control egg production, then movement to pills and injectables for IUIs. Also did a dye-test to check fallopian tubes, and a sperm test on husband. No problems were ever found with either of us. Rational on strategies was just the standard way to control cycles and increase the chances of fertilization when you don't know why you aren't getting pregnant.
It's been a few years so I don't remember specifics that well. They were always kind, friendly when I was coming in often. The woman who performed the dye test to check fallopian tubes was especially compassionate, telling me how brave I was to be doing what I was doing.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Part of the UCLA West LA mega complex. Well staffed on hours, responsive on getting you in when you needed to. Assumed it was cutting edge since it was affiliated with UCLA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Brennan at UCLA.
I think we got up to $6-8K, before we stopped and decided to see (again) what would happen naturally. We knew the next step of AI would be $10-$15Kish.
What specific things went wrong at UCLA?
Los Angeles
She [Dr. Kathleen Brennan] took the time to walk through all fertility options at first meeting. She smiles often and congratulated us when we got our positive test....Kind and thorough Ordered tests when I requested them Answered all my questions patiently Responds to questions over email via UCLA within 1 day Supervised her residents and took over if they needed help...Spent 18 months getting diagnosed with PCOS, starting metformin and getting ovulation to work.
How was your experience with Kathleen Brennan at UCLA?
Sometimes there’s a short wait
She took the time to walk through all fertility options at first meeting. She smiles often and congratulated us when we got our positive test.
Spent 18 months getting diagnosed with PCOS, starting metformin and getting ovulation to work. Then got pregnant naturally first try. She sees me every week from 5-8 weeks.
Describe your experience with UCLA.
Sometimes long waits Billing errors are common Parking is expensive -$12 Insurance card required at every visit which I find annoying Facilities are clean and nice Convenient lab downstairs ........................