RMA of New Jersey

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolBoston U.
908-604-7800
475 Prospect Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
973-325-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kathleen Hong to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New Jersey to a friend?
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Hong was the best doctor I have every worked with. I do not believe I would have gotten through my journey without her by my side. She was extremely caring and I felt like she was looking out for me. I truly felt that she was fighting the fight with me...She was there trying to figure out the best plan and the safest way to get me pregnant. She was able to explain in understandable terms what was happening as well as what the next steps would be. At the end of my treatment I loved her so much I made her come out of a meeting and we both hug as we said good bye!
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I might not have seen her every time but she worked a long an amazing nurse who would call me all the time and at any point I felt that the nurse could not answer my question she would call me back within a few hours. She was there trying to figure out the best plan and the safest way to get me pregnant. She was able to explain in understandable terms what was happening as well as what the next steps would be. At the end of my treatment I loved her so much I made her come out of a meeting and we both hug as we said good bye!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
She is an amazing doctor and you are lucky to have her on your side
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hong used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I went through many treatments but basically when they were trying to retrieve eggs or I was going through iui I used gonal F and the highest dose because otherwise my folicals did not grow.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Hill)
For most of my treatment I had an amazing nurse who I had a great repore with and felt that she totally knew her stuff and was always there for me. However, for my final Ivf cycle Kelly had to take a leave of absence and so I was given another nurse, she was horrible and basically it was a good thing that I had gone through so many previous rounds to know that muliple times she was giving me the wrong information.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
It was very clean and never had to wait too long to get in for blood work. It was very supportive and nice that the provided treats on Saturday mornings. The people at the desk were helpful and I formative
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Well oiled machine with amazing nurses that I became friendly with because I was there all the time for so long
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey.
The 3 rounds of iui and 4 rounds of Ivf were covered under my insurance. The donor egg cycle was $48,000. It was about $2400 for genetic testing on the embryos which I did twice.
Describe Kathleen Hong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
I only wanted eSET so it was never even a discussion we ever had
Somerset
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
The first visit, Dr. Hong took time to understand what cancer treatments I had going on, and helped figure out the timeline for my fertility preservation. She outlined a timeline for me and gave me all of the pertinent information with colorful coding, complete with drawings and explanations. She continued to follow up with me and reached out to me continuously to address my concerns.
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I would advise a friend to put all their trust into Dr. Hong, as she is truly competent and skilled.
The compassion and concern that Dr. Hong has for me cannot be overstated. She took her time to understand what I was going through as a cancer patient, was so caring, and even called to say Hi just to check on me and let me know she cared. A truly wonderful experience.
I only had a short window for egg retrieval between my surgery and the beginning of my chemotherapy treatments. Dr. Hong had me begin my retrieval shots outside of the typical timeline, and explained it was totally fine and wouldn't result in an inferior quality cycle. She was completely correct.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Josephine)
Josephine responded promptly to my calls and needs. A huge issue was with the Finance department, who forgot to include the embryo genetic testing in the price when we paid. This resulted in having to pay it later on the day of retrieval which was stressful and came with other conflicts.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Know that you can place/insert the ultrasound wand yourself if that is more comfortable for you. You are the one in control of your body and if that helps you individually, the doctors are more than happy to let you place it yourself to avoid discomfort.
The appointments were organized and efficient. The facility is amazing. The staff at morning monitoring are professional and caring. The monitoring window of hours is pretty strict.
14,000 for Egg retrieval, Icsi, Genetic testing for couple and genetic testing of embryo, embryo and egg freezing. (Not including medication)
Somerset
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Hong is a very patient and sympathetic doctor. She always took the time to listen and answer my questions and concerns. I feel like I was always being heard and supported by her. When I didn’t get the results I was hoping for, she would aknowledge my struggles.... Make sure you take an escribe role as a patient and do your research. There may be some questions that you need to raise that the doctor may not raise
Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong took the time to listen to me. She also was very sympathetic.
I started with two retrievals and each on produced few eggs which did
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Adrienne Frankel and Michelle Cresci)
Both Adrienne and Michelle were responsive within one business day of emails and phone calls. They would seek answers to my questions through the doctor.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA has some of the best success rates around. This is the most important strength of the clinic. They also work with out of town/state patients such as myself and accommodate my travel schedule. The weakness would be that maybe there should be some kind of thorough orientation at the beginning of our treatment to better understand the process. Also I think there should have been a better understanding to the fact that maybe these treatments might not work in order to have a more realistic expectation.
I did my morning monitoring from another clinic since I lived out of state. The few times I did morning monitoring it seemed pretty organized. In the basking ridge location it was fine. From the smaller statelite locations it was very crowded and stressful experience. I really disliked the experience at the smaller offices
35k for retrievals 40k for donor eggs+ transfers
Basking Ridge
Dr Hong was kind yet direct, and very adaptive. She carefully considered responses to questions and was honest when there wasn’t an answer she could provide.... She had a good bedside manner but was direct which was appreciated. She took stances and explained what informed her decisions. She gave us excellent recommendations that really considered our circumstances. She informed us of risks but ultimately showed confident decision making.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Hong was excellent. She had a good bedside manner but was direct which was appreciated. She took stances and explained what informed her decisions. She gave us excellent recommendations that really considered our circumstances. She informed us of risks but ultimately showed confident decision making.
Ask to speak with her if the nurses give you a hard time. She will almost always make time within a few hours.
Started with 7 days of Alyacen to raise estrogen. Follistim AQ + Menopur. Ganirelix to suppress ovulation and Pregnyl for trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill)
Jill can be difficult. She showed compassion when my cycle was cancelled due to a cyst but was very frustrating to work with around weight, despite me being overweight due to the PCOS I am in treatment for. She can also be quite rigid, so push back if something doesn’t feel right and ask to speak to your MD if she tells you nothing can be done. She was vague in wording with drug instructions a few times as well.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Receptionists are friendly, though aren’t the best with protecting privacy. The clinic’s secure email system is beyond annoying. Calls are generally returned quickly but there was at least one instance where I didn’t get a call back from a covering nurse on a holiday. They won’t take or dispense excess medication and charge for nurse administration.
egg retrieval cycle with ICSI was 13k + drug costs (2.5k) including genetic testing with insurance covering 50%.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
She [Dr. Hong] is very kind, the type of doctor that offers you a hug, always give eye contact, never lets you feel like a question is irrelevant or stupid. She has called me, while she was on vacation...She appears to be very evidence based, in her thought process. Doesn't try many, what if approaches. So if you are looking for someone who will try the kitchen sink method, she is not for you. She is willing to try alternative approaches, but doesn't offer them. When I wanted to try something new, she was willing, but didn't think it would change my outcome.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
If you want someone who will try every theoretical/ aggressive approach and not something well proven, choose a different physician. She is so kind though and may be better with someone who needs a lot of hand holding.
She is very kind, the type of doctor that offers you a hug, always give eye contact, never lets you feel like a question is irrelevant or stupid. She has called me, while she was on vacation.
I had 4 egg retrieval with microdose Lupron flare protocol. The rationale was that I have DOR and it would be the most effective
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill Hendricks )
Nursing care was adequate but as a nirse myself I feel I needed less than others may
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The strength of RMANJ is it's size, they don't batch patients, tests, egg retrievals and embryo transfer occur every day of the year, due to the size of the company. The embriology lab is amazing and gets results like no other. It can appear very impersonal, it runs like a well oiled machine, but if you need constant hand holding, it may not be for you.
I had insurance coverage, so not sure of all the costs but I payed approx $4000 on CCD of up to 10 embryos over multiple retrievals and approx $4000 on testing and procedures before my insurance covered at 100%
Morristown
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I love dr Hong. She has been amazing. Calling me on weekends while she is out of town. Taking extra time to explain exactly what I can expect. I had a really rough 2nd egg retrieval. She called to check on me herself. She is caring and sweet. After the egg retrieval I was in a lot of pain. I could tell she cared and felt bad. I ended up with a hematoma because of the andominal retrieval. She really wanted the transfer to work for me. I remember her calling me after I spoke to the nurse hearing the news of my negative beta. Dr Hong left me a voicemail saying how sorry she was. She was so sincere and sweet. I would highly recommend her to a friend or family member.
The first consult she will not only explain everything to you she willl draw and write it down for you. She will tell you the good and bad
Dr Hong is amazing. She did both retrieval’s and FET for me. Most people in the clinic don’t have their own doctors do them. My second retrieval was abdominal. It was really painful and dr Hong was amazing. I called and she called me back after hours. I went to the office on Sunday and there was another doctor covering because dr Hong was doing transfers. Dr Hong made a special point to come up and look at me. I received the heart breaking news last Saturday that my FRozen embryo transfer was negative. It was 1 out of my 2 pgs tested embryos. I was devastated. Dr Hong called me on Saturday while she was traveling to say how sorry she was. I missed her call. She called me back on Sunday to discuss what we can do differently and give me some hope. I’m going oct 2nd to do a hysterscopy. Then moving on to the ERA. When I first met with dr Hong she was straight up telling me the good and bad because of my age of 43. I wouldn’t want any other doctor to handle my IVf journey. I would 100% recommended dr hong.
Egg retrieval was 2 vials of menopur and 300 gonal and cetrotide. For 2 rounds of stims. First round 5 eggs, 2 fertilized and 1 made it to blast and was pgs tested Normal. Second round. 6 eggs. 3 fertilized. 2 made to blast. 2 tested Normal for pgs. For my first frozen transfer I started on estradiol. 5 days before transfer I start with PIO injections. My transfer didn’t implant. I stopped all meds on day 9 after negative beta.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer dryer)
Jenn is an awesome nurse. Always calls every few days to check on me. Was calling almost everyday after my awful retrieval. Very caring. Always has information for me when I call. Calls on days I have morning monitoring are always by noon or around there. I feel like she is invested in my success.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
My clinic is great. Some days morning monitoring takes a long time. Everyone there is amazing. I haven’t had a complaint about anyone so far. Saturday and Sunday’s you have to go to basking ridge for morning monitoring. They always have juice and bagels in the lobby for you. I have heard some doctors don’t do your retrieval and transfer. If you are happy with your doctor I would try to request them.
Most days I was in and out pretty quickly. There were a couple of days that took over an hour, which I thought was a long time.
Retrieval was about $15k including icsi and pgs testing. Frozen transfer was about $4K. We got some package for our second retrieval so it was about 8k.
If I had more than 2 embryos I would have pushed for 2 to transfer. I was good with transferring one since I only had 2.
Morristown
Dr. Hong is very approachable and easy to talk with. She was very helpful in explaining everything and taking the time to answer our questions until we were satisfied. She comes across to me as very research/fact based and practical, which is why I think we immediately liked working with her. She has a lot of energy, but is also caring and sensitive. I appreciate the ability to be able to speak with her directly on the phone even in between appointments. Our treatment plan thus far has changed a few times and she proactively calls me to explain the rationale behind each decision.
Not sure!
Dr. Hong has a really nice approach and 'bedside manner' - each interaction that we've had has been a reassuring experience. She's very detailed and takes time to explain everything and answer questions. She's highly approachable and responsive, even in between appointments.
We are still too early in treatment planning (FET) for me to answer this well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dayna Brownin)
I have only had a few interactions thus far with Dayna (we are still in early planning stage for FET), but each one has been very positive. She is highly energetic, optimistic, and empathetic. She is very responsive and takes the time to explain each step and answer my questions. She has exceeded my expectations for nursing support at a clinic as huge as RMA NJ.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths - Essentially it's a one stop shop for almost anything you need as part of your fertility treatment. I even had a hysteroscopy and polyp removal under RMA and the care I experienced was excellent. So far, I am very impressed with the high level of coordination between departments and the communication and responsiveness - everything from medical and nursing consultations to finance to embryology. Thus far a seamless experience for me as the patient, which is not always easy to come by! Weaknesses - I always have to drive to Basking Ridge for blood work (wish there was a lab closer to me).
We are still in planning stage for FET, but received financial counseling early on. The ballpark cost that we were originally expecting for thawing/refreezing/CCS testing of embryos (none of which would be covered by insurance) would be approx. $6550. In addition, we would be paying for the courier to move our embryos from Boston to NJ = $800. The FET cycle itself is expected to cost $4,475 + upwards of $1600 for medication. My insurance will offset some of this cost.
Dr. Hong was very clear from the beginning that we would do a single embryo transfer. I didn't challenge it.
Basking Ridge
Every meeting, every email, every phone call Dr. Hong took time to explain the ins and outs of what was going on and what next steps would look like. She made time whenever I was freaking out and never made excuses for not responding while also making every effort to calm my nerves. She was flexible and easy to talk throughout all three of my cycles (and other treatment procedures)...Dr. Hong reassured me I had made the best decision possible.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I had no clue what to expect going to RMA and the first meeting with Dr. Hong reassured me I had made the best decision possible. She explained the process, what was required, where potential hiccups could happen and of course how the entire RMA staff is there to hand hold my husband and I through everything. I miscarriaged twice - one at 11 weeks when I had already been cleared by RMA - and I can remember our first conversation about restarting and how sympathetic she was to me - I felt like I was her best friend and she was doing everything in her power to support me. The second time I saw the same thing and the promise that we would keep going. She explained how if we tested the embryos it may net a better result - so I did it - without hesitating about the cost - because I 100% trusted her opinion. After our third transfer, which Dr. Hong made sure she was there for to do v. anyone else, I waited to hear the test results. March 7, 2017 @ 7:59a I received a voicemail from Dr. Hong telling me the news. I have yet to delete that voicemail because her positivity, excitement and friendliness still makes me feel warm inside. She stuck with us through so much bad and on November 16, 2017 we received so much good with the birth of our first child. She kept me grounded and upbeat and I owe her everything for our daughter. Looking forward to working with her through the next pregnancy - wouldn't want it any other way.
Do not hesitate to express any concerns or hesitations - she will be honest with you and give you the best recommendation based on a personalized plan. Don't hold back saying something you think may sound silly - it's all important - this is your family!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jen Dwyer)
Quickly responded to every call/email with kindness. There were definitely times that I was hot headed and she calmed me down with a thorough and detailed response.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Huge practice which has everything needed for a successful cycle at their fingertips. My husband felt comfortable with them when it came to anything sperm related and I felt comfortable with all practitioners I encountered as well. In the morning for monitoring hours it does get a little busy closer to the end and they do their best to push everyone through in a timely matter while also spending the appropriate time to explain ultrasound findings. In a very sensitive and taboo procedure like fertility treatment, they make you feel human.
We received a complete itemized sheets from PGS testing, injectables and medications, processes and co-pays. They went through our insurance info with us and weeded through everything we'd have to pay out of pocket. I am lucky with my husband's insurance that we were basically covered so I don't remember the detailed $s.
Dr. Hong and the rest of the RMA crew definitely have the mentality of one happy baby at a time. While she respected my desire for transferring two embryos, she absolutely vocalized that she would prefer one at a time.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Hong is an extremely dedicated and compassionate RE...She understood, based on my hormone levels and AFC count, that an antagonist protocol with estrogen priming would be best suited to me to obtain optimal results. We trusted her completely throughout this process...She has understood that I prefer detailed responses to my questions and has adjusted her approach accordingly. Whenever I email Dr. Hong she responds within 24 hours...
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong is a very knowledgable physician. She understood, based on my hormone levels and AFC count, that an antagonist protocol with estrogen priming would be best suited to me to obtain optimal results. We trusted her completely throughout this process.
Ask her as many questions as you need to! She will definitely respond thoroughly.
Dr. Hong is an extremely dedicated and compassionate RE. I had a chemical pregnancy a week prior to the start of my IVF cycle. Dr. Hong actually called me to check in to make sure I was ok! She has understood that I prefer detailed responses to my questions and has adjusted her approach accordingly. Whenever I email Dr. Hong she responds within 24 hours.
My partner and I had a terrible experience at our former clinic. We had 20 frozen eggs thawed---and only 30 percent of those eggs survived. In addition, at the former clinic I also underwent a retrieval and obtained 8 eggs. Out of 11 embryos (from the frozen eggs and fresh cycle), none grew to day 5! Dr. Hong explained that she strongly believed this poor result was due to lab error as well as poor trigger shot timing on behalf of my former RE, but she couldn't be 100 percent sure. Well, she was right! In this cycle we had 6 fertilized embryos and 4 grew to blastocyst stage and 3 were biopsied. We are currently waiting for those results. She doesn't guarantee any will be normal (based on my age), but she timed the trigger shot earlier in order to optimize quality. She also tweaked my medication protocol (raised dose of gonal f to 300 from 225 and raised dose of menopur from 75 to 150 as well as added omnitrope) in order to ensure embryos grew at a faster rate.
My assigned nurse was very compassionate. When she was in the office, she was very conscientious. We were pretty upset when she didn't let us know she'd be out of the office during the beginning of my monitoring appointments. The quality of communication between nursing and my partner and myself is extremely important because we have been monitoring from a different state. We had a nearly canceled cycle at our last clinic because nursing staff and local monitoring clinic did not share vital information about my follicle numbers and growth. We wanted to be sure this didn't occur with RMA and our nurse assured us she'd be available to receive photographs sent by us in an email attachment on our first day of monitoring. After we voiced our concerns, the entire staff responded accordingly. Dr. Hong herself agreed to view the attachments--we had no problem communicating with her throughout our monitoring cycle.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Clinic is a well oiled machine. We went to Basking Ridge office where Dr. Hong is primarily situated. The waiting room is very elegantly adorned and comfortable. Although we did not get to enjoy it! We did not wait at all for our monitoring appointments. From start to finish, our appointments were 15 minutes long! It was quite remarkable how efficient the staff was as a whole. Always remembering detailed information about both of us. Very, very impressive. :-) The hospital room where I had my retrieval was quite sterile and impersonal. Only a bed sheet separated my partner and myself from other women who had their procedures at the same time.
Extremely easy! 15 minutes in and out. Lab work was done first followed by monitoring appointments with Dr. Hong. We did see another RE for a monitoring appointment on one occasion. He was impersonal but very efficient and knowledgable.
20k out of pocket
She prefers eSET and I agree with her approach. We don't know if we'll have any normal embryos. But if we do, we will definitely only be transferring one at a time.
Eatontown
She [Dr. Kathleen Hong] decided to hold off on doing a big workup on me, after all the testing I had already been through, because we are OOP and the course of treatment/testing would be completely different for IVF/ICSI or IUI with donor sperm or foster-adopt. If we are able to find sperm to freeze, we will evaluate me and proceed with a freeze-all cycle with ICSI and PGS. Since we would like to transfer all normal embryos, she definitely recommended the PGS so that we don't have the cost and heartache of unnecessary losses, and FET to give my body a break in between ER/transfer cycles. As far as waiting after a successful pregnancy to do each subsequent transfer, she explained that the wait can be a little longer after C-section vs. vaginal delivery, to prevent uterine rupture.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
She is very knowledgeable and also sensitive to our individual wishes as a couple throughout this process. Dr. Hong helped me understand our course of treatment and what our next steps will be. I feel confident that we are in good hands.
Ask all the questions! She is a wealth of information, but she can also explain things in a clear, concise, need-to-know basis. She will tell you as much or as little as you care to know about every step of the way.
She listened to everything I had to say and she said it really helped her to fill in the kind of gaps you get from just reading the files, of the patients' actual personal experience along the way. I felt like she really heard the agonizing journey we have already been through and acknowledged how difficult it has been. She made a decision how best to proceed in our individual case with our best interests in mind.
We are waiting to move forward until we find out if we are able to retrieve my husband's sperm through MESA or TESE. She said to call her the very next day and let her know so we can proceed! She decided to hold off on doing a big workup on me, after all the testing I had already been through, because we are OOP and the course of treatment/testing would be completely different for IVF/ICSI or IUI with donor sperm or foster-adopt. If we are able to find sperm to freeze, we will evaluate me and proceed with a freeze-all cycle with ICSI and PGS. Since we would like to transfer all normal embryos, she definitely recommended the PGS so that we don't have the cost and heartache of unnecessary losses, and FET to give my body a break in between ER/transfer cycles. As far as waiting after a successful pregnancy to do each subsequent transfer, she explained that the wait can be a little longer after C-section vs. vaginal delivery, to prevent uterine rupture.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Michelle O)
Michelle O is very positive and kind. I felt so hopeful about our treatment when I was talking with her. She helped me understand what would be involved in my evaluation and where we could go for various aspects of the tests, preferred labs etc.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
It is a very big place with a large staff, but they also take the time to communicate so well! If you have a question or a concern, and your nurse or care team member does not answer, you really can just leave a message and they will respond quickly. They understand how much their patients have riding on their testing and treatment and are all very compassionate to your need to get the information promptly and ease your mind. My husband maybe felt a bit intimidated walking into the facility, but the waiting area is expansive, beautiful, well-decorated, and that somehow made me feel more at home, despite how nerve-wracking facing treatment can be.
My initial consult with testing will be $450. I was given a complete breakdown including an estimate for retrieval $11,275, plus meds $5k+, anesthesia $600-1200, biopsy $1,700, PGS up to ten $2500, FET cycle approximately $5k.
Basking Ridge
Dr. Hong took the time to really get to know me, my family and understand our wants and needs. She went out of her way after our miscarriage to help us understand why. She made sure then to take the lead on our care and future visits. Dr. Hong even went out of her way to make sure she personally could do my D&C. She knew my son's birthday was near and even got him a gift - so thoughtful and sweet! I highly recommend anyone who wants a personalize and human touch to see Dr. Hong.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
RMA is amazing. All the of the doctors are so skilled. My nurse, Nicole B. is super caring and responsive to patient needs. I cannot say enough good about Dr. Hong. I recommend her for anyone who is nervous to start and is looking for a guiding hand. Her calm demeanor can make anyone going through this feel ready and supported.
Just do it. You won't regret calling and making the appointment to see Dr. Hong!
I had an antagonist protocol twice. Had to do with my PCOS. Triggered first retrieval with pregnyl and second time with novarel. Had ICSI, PGS, and assisted hatching. Had two miscarriages for a chromosomal issue. Was genetically screened and just having "bad luck" and the testing can't pick it up or prevent it. Hoping third transfer (preparing now) will work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Baumert)
Nicole Baumert is awesome! She always answers no matter how silly or personal a question may seem. She cares very much. After our loss she reached out personally several times to check on me and definitely helped get me support and through it all. I wouldn't trade her for anything!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is a large clinic. There are a lot of doctors and facilities. It can be overwhelming, but I highly recommend them. They know what they are doing!
My insurance covered the retrieval and transfer. Had to pay a bunch for meds that were not completely covered and for the freezing and genetic testing of the embryos.
Other, Unexplained
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
At our first appointment when Dr. Hong reviewed our detailed records of intercourse and cycle tracking and told us that she was surprised we weren't pregnant yet, I felt a huge weight lifted. Knowing that what we were doing should have led to a pregnancy made me feel ready to try interventions. She explained what the procedure was for our testing cycle and where we would proceed for our first medicated cycle. She gave us the estimate that we would most likely not need IVF and while it turned out that 4 cycles of IUI didn't lead to pregnancy, we were happy because she didn't make us keep trying something that didn't work. She was ready for us to move onto IVF at that point. Dr. Hong took time on days she got to the clinic early to personally perform my morning monitoring (even when she wasn't the on call doctor that day). On those days she was making a special effort to perform my ultrasound and see how my follicles were developing. Her personal interest in our case was really touching. While she always made the decision for does of medication and the timing of our trigger/IUI based on the ultrasound pictures and notes from the doctor performing my monitoring.....the days she personally looked always felt more thorough. I got the feeling that Dr. Hong was genuinely rooting for us!
You are so lucky! She is very willing to explain things and answer questions - don't hesitate to ask!
Our meetings with Dr. Hong were very personalized. It was clear that she cared about us as a couple and our desire to begin a family. She tailored her conversations to use specifics about us and what we tried and what we were going to try. I did not feel like she was giving us canned responses. Dr. Hong took time on days she got to the clinic early to personally perform my morning monitoring (even when she wasn't the on call doctor that day). On those days she was making a special effort to personally perform my ultrasound and see how my follicles were developing. Her personal interest in our case was really touching.
1 cycle on Clomid. IUI w/ Ovidrel trigger. 3 mature follicles but thin-ish lining. Negative pregnancy test. 3 cycles with Follistim injections (doses between 25 - 100 units; MOSTLY 75 units). IUI w/ Ovidrel trigger. Each cycle was 3 or 4 mature follicles. Negative pregnancy test. 1 Fresh IVF cycle. 10 days BC pills. Antagonist cycle began with Follistim 75 and 1 vial of Menopur for 9 days; On the 6th day added Ganirelix for 4 days. The next day did 1/2 dose of Pregnyl at night and 40IU of Lupron. 12 hours later exactly, did another 40IU of Lupron. Retrieval was timed for the following day and transfer was 6 days later. On the IVF cycle we did ICSI with PGD so we could have the best possible outcomes. My last monitoring ultrasound showed 25 follicles. 22 mature eggs were retrieved and 15 fertilized properly with ICSI. By the day of our transfer - there were 9 blasts. We transferred 1 blast and are currently pregnant with identical twins. I did acupuncture throughout all cycles above. Additionally, had laser acupuncture on the day of transfer immediately before and after the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Oliveira)
I can't say enough good things about Michelle. She was extremely good at communicating the results from my monitoring appointments and providing me with instructions for my medications. Michelle was never bothered when I called her to ask follow up questions on the protocol and she was happy to explain what each medication was for. Michelle consoled me when I was feeling really down over yet another failed cycle. She gave me hope that each cycle we tried could be *the* one. Michelle always found a way to be positive. When I left her messages, Michelle got back to me in a very timely manner - sometimes even after hours! I always felt like Michelle had my back and was honestly sad when I graduated from the clinic that she was no longer my go-to person. I'll never have the connection I had with Michelle or that attention she gave me from another medical professional. It was a little jarring in fact when I transferred to a regular OB and didn't get as much feedback about the pregnancy!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic is very organized. I never had problems with missing paperwork or test results. The front desk staff are just as invested as anyone else. One day I walked in for an IUI and the check-in person greeted me by name and told me they were ready for me even before I signed in. This REALLY made me not feel like a number! The clinic is very clean and warm and inviting. There is plenty of space in the waiting room which feels nothing like a typical doctor's office. They are very respectful of an individual's privacy. Both in the paperwork end of things/checking in.....and medically. When I was at a monitoring appointment or a procedure appointment I was always treated with dignity and privacy. While I saw a variety of different doctor's for my morning monitoring appointments, I knew they were taking detailed notes to provide my primary doctor. This was done by dictating the results to a nurse while the ultrasound was happening as well as notes recorded on an iPad after the ultrasound. This level of communication made me feel comfortable regardless of which doctor performed the ultrasound.
Monitoring hours were between 6-7:30 am on weekdays and 6-10am on weekends. This was EXTREMELY convenient to me. I was able to go before work each day and it didn't impact my job at all. I didn't have to take time off of work or really inform my employer except for days where I was having a test (saline sonogram, etc) or procedure (IUI, retrieval, transfer). I have heard of some clinic's that don't have early morning monitoring and I honestly would not have been able to pursue ART without this convenience since I have little flexibility in my job's schedule. Most days seemed like a well oiled machine. I moved quickly through the blood draw area to the ultrasound area with minimal wait time. On a few occasions if they were short a doctor, the line did back up - but I wouldn't say this was the norm. Weekends were usually more busy because a lot of the satellite offices are closed, but as long as I went in knowing that it wasn't so bad.
I am lucky in that a lot was covered by insurance. We paid $1200 to freeze our embryos and $3500 for ICSI and PGD. Our initial genetic testing (prior to any cycles) was $300. Plus co-pays for each visit.
Basking Ridge
Dr. Hong was thorough and explained the whole process, risks, and possible outcomes. She made me feel comfortable every step of the way. She was very caring and showed compassion. I remember how stressed I was during my first appointment that I burst into tears and Dr. Hong put me at ease and reassured me that there is always hope.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Just be patient and don’t give up. There are so many causes of infertility and with today’s modern medicine and procedures everything is possible. I know it’s difficult when you are dealing with such issues and finances could put a huge strain on your decision to pursue fertility treatments but there are so many options today.
Dr. Hong was very caring and always made me feel comfortable.
We had male factor infertility. Due to no sperm count, my husband had surgery to extract the sperm. Dr. Hong discussed our options and we agreed the best option would be to do IVF with ICSI. We transferred two embryos which resulted in the live birth of our beautiful twin daughters.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
I don’t recall her name but she was AMAZING!!! She would answer all my questions and return my calls immediately. She was very organized and would go over all the details with me a few times until I felt comfortable and understood everything.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I highly recommended RMA! On a scale of 1 to 10, they are a 10!! RMA and it’s entire team are hands down an amazing and compassionate group. They are professional and make you feel comfortable during this very uncomfortable time.
The IVF procedure cost approximately $10,000 plus $2,500 for ICSI
Dr. Hong recommended single embryo, however, we decided to transfer two at the same time. We were comfortable with our decision.
Basking Ridge
She [Dr Kathleen Hong] laughed and joked with us to break the tension before procedures. She listened to all my questions and answered every single one, no matter how stupid they might have been....She called to make sure i understood important information relayed by my nurse. She performed as many IUIs as she could, she wasn't always working on the days we needed transfers. If she saw we were in the office for a monitoring appointment while she was working she would do our monitoring rather than the doctor scheduled to do so.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask all your questions, she answers them all. Also don't be afraid to cry/tear up in her office, she understands it's an emotional journey and doesn't judge.
She laughed and joked with us to break the tension before procedures. She listened to all my questions and answered every single one, no matter how stupid they might have been.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne Temper)
Anne is so compassionate, accommodating, understanding, and warm. She answered all my calls and emails. She calmed my "crazy" when I was worried. She was the voice of reason during a time of chaos.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Basking Ridge was a very nice office, but West Orange could use an update and a larger space. Weekend monitoring hours are BUSY. VERY VERY BUSY. Expect to wait over an hour.
THEY WERE SO EARLY!!!!!!! 6am-7:30am during the week. I wish they had them until 8am. The weekend hours are more convenient, 6am-10am. But they are BUSY since only one RMA office is open. They need more staff on the weekends to help deal with the crowd.
copays were taken up front before the appointment. If your insurance didn't cover that procedure it was billed later. IVF was all billed before any appointment. IUI was billed on procedure day.
Basking Ridge
She [Dr. Hong] is very caring and explains things to you in detail. I had to have a D&C and she made sure she performed the procedure. She cheers on her patients and supports you through this roller coaster...I don't hear from her a lot personally but rather hear from her nurse. I have heard from her directly for issues that require more discussion. I find her to be compassionate and positive and willing to walk through things with me so I can understand.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I really like Dr Hong. I don't hear from her a lot personally but rather hear from her nurse. I have heard from her directly for issues that require more discussion. I find her to be compassionate and positive and willing to walk through things with me so I can understand. Hoping this next IUI will give me my baby!
Let her know your questions and if you need more time with her personally:
She is very caring and explains things to you in detail. I had to have a D&C and she made sure she performed the procedure. She cheers on her patients and supports you through this roller coaster.
I am doing IUI. First round was completely natural and that resulted in a negative test (although it was slightly elevated so egg may have implanted briefly). Second was with the lightest dose of clomid. I got pregnant but unfortunately had to have a D&C. We have not changed protocol and will be doing an IUI in the next two weeks. I am hopeful for success! Also taking DHEA and COQ10 for egg quality this round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Dwyer )
Jenn is very quick at getting back to me, is very compassionate and is on top of everything.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Can be a bit of a conveyer belt but it's quick and efficient.
Thus far a few thousand
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr Hong is great and time spent in person or on phone with her is valuable. Unfortunately, RMA of New Jersey is like a factory - packed waiting rooms, long wait times, huge layer of nurses you have to get through. When doing inseminations or transfers, feels like you see a different doctor every time.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Hong is excellent but the setup at RMA of NJ is very impersonal and doesn't make for optimal patient experience.
You must be very proactive in managing your care. Dr Hong is great but you need to fight to get to her through the nursing staff, which can be difficult to deal with.
Dr Hong is great and time spent in person or on phone with her is valuable. Unfortunately, RMA of NJ is like a factory - packed waiting rooms, long wait times, huge layer of nurses you have to get through. When doing inseminations or transfers, feels like you see a different doctor every time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill Hendricks)
Very tough to get in touch with her. Impossible to even call directly. They have a secure email system which doesn't work half the time. Got the sense the nurses are really overburdened with too many patients. Hard to ever have a live convo on phone - endless voicemails!
Really crowded on weekends - 90+ min wait even just for bloodwork. Weekdays better but you have to go really early.