Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
770.928.2276
711 Canton Rd
Marietta, GA 30060
770.928.2276
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kathryn Calhoun to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 7Neutral: 19.8
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend ACRM to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 45Neutral: 7Don't recommend: 68.8
She [Dr. Calhoun] was/is always attentive, let’s you speak, and she always takes notes.... Another thing I really like is she’s always prepared, she knows your history and remembers it. She’s looking at you when speaking, not at her computer. She also takes the time to draw things out so you can visually see the treatment, not just words on paper.... All four of my IUIs had a Letrozole leadin, my body responded well to the drug with little to no side effects.
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
The day I met her I immediately felt connected. She’s very kind, funny and yet a straight shooter. Those are qualities I must have in a Dr of this nature. Another thing I really like is she’s always prepared, she knows your history and remembers it. She’s looking at you when speaking, not at her computer. She also takes the time to draw things out so you can visually see the treatment, not just words on paper. She’s very positive and empathetic and you feel like you have a friend in what can be a very dark scary journey. I haven’t had success yet, but I will stick with her because of who she is and how she treats you. She sees you as a human being going through a tough time and she’s willing to help any way she can. I also need to mention she isn’t in any way pushy, she lets you go at your own pace and make your own choices.
What one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Calhoun?
To trust her. Infertility is scary and hard. It’s difficult to understand but with. Dr like her, you can trust her advice and methods.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I felt like a human with her because I never felt gushed when speaking to her. She was/is always attentive, let’s you speak, and she always takes notes. I feel like with her my thoughts, concerns etc are important and in turn she takes the time to clearly explain and respond to all of them. She makes the effort to ensure you understand what’s happening and next steps so that you aren’t scared.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Calhoun used in your cycles and their degree of success.
All four of my IUIs had a Letrozole leadin, my body responded well to the drug with little to no side effects. Also two trigger shots only be my follicles we’re ready yet I hadn’t gotten a positive surge on my OPK. Then post IUI we did progesterone suppositories b/c my bloodwork showed lower progesterone. I have also had two uterine reservations due to a septum. First being before my first IUI then again before the 4th IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
My nurse was Megan Kent and she was fantastic. Very much like Dr. Calhoun, you could ask her anything and she never made you feel like it was a dumb question or if it was repetative, she did not seem bothered. For me this was a big deal b/c as you go through all the tests, instructions, etc it can get very confusing and you are so full of hope, you want to ensure your are doing everything right to ensure your biggest dreams will come true. Megan was always direct and explained things very well and was also good with giving tips too. With my clinic sending questions, etc via email was the way to go b/c I liked to have things documented to refer back to and also b/c if you called the nurse, it would always go to voicemail and they would call you back later in the day. I did not care for the voicemail but I did understand the reason behind it.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
ACRM has 4 locations within the Atlanta area and I have been to three of them due to my cycle sometimes causing the IUI to take place on a weekend or holiday. To me this is a HUGE plus to have many locations all easily accessible. Reduces the stress big time! All of the locations are nicely decorated and have peaceful quiet waiting rooms. They do not allow children to be brought inside and I very much appreciate this rule. They have a very easy check in and out process with very kind people working there (all 3 locations that I know of). They offer water and have bowls of candy out. It is a very different enviroment than any other Dr office. You feel more at home and relaxed b/c it is not sterile and the decor isn't from 1975. They are also able do all lab work in-house which eases stress of having to go yet another place to get poked. They provide ample handouts on your treatment so you know what is happening when and how. They take the time to ensure you know exactly what is happening and why as well. I can honestly say I don't know of any weaknesses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Calhoun.
In total for 4 IUIs, we've spent close to 9K. Breakdown estimates below after insurance which covered diagnostics only: Baseline - $200 Midcycle - $350 Insemination - $500 Sperm Analysis - $140 Blood work (various) - $100 each, has several per IUI Trigger Shots - $100 Hysteroscopy surgery (2) - $1500 each
2013 - 2016
Dr. Calhoun is just outstanding, there's no other way to describe her! She was with us from the very beginning of our journey to become parents. We had 2 rounds of IUI. One resulted in a Ectopic Pregnancy that ruptured. She performed the emergency surgery.... She never rushed us through phone calls, appointments, etc. She genuinely cared about us as a couple trying to start a family.
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
Dr. Calhoun is just outstanding, there's no other way to describe her! She was with us from the very beginning of our journey to become parents. We had 2 rounds of IUI. One resulted in a Ectopic Pregnancy that ruptured. She performed the emergency surgery. We went on to go 3 for 3 in the IVF process and have 3 beautiful children. We truly believe we were successful because she took so much of the stress out of our journey. We felt comfortable at each stage, even during the difficult times. The only "negative" about Dr. Calhoun is that she couldn't deliver the 3 babies she helped us bring into this world!
No one WANTS a membership to the IVF club but sometimes there aren't any other options. The journey is stressful but at some point you have to just let go and place it in the hands of experts. This means you need to have a tremendous amount of trust in whoever is providing your care. In our opinion Dr. Calhoun is the right expert to help you during this process. Trust in her experience and know that she truly wants to see you accomplish your fertility goals.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr. Kathryn Calhoun always made us feel like we were her only patients (even though we knew that obviously wasn't true). She never rushed us through phone calls, appointments, etc. She genuinely cared about us as a couple trying to start a family.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Carla (our primary nurse) and Tammy (our care coordinator) were awesome! Carla always made sure I knew exactly what meds I needed to take, what the procedures would entail, etc. Tammy was always quick to schedule my appointments and always made sure my procedures worked with our schedules.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
I can't think of any weaknesses that ACRM needs to improve upon. The entire staff is caring, helpful and obviously extremely professional. Wait times were little to none (they run a very smooth operation but you never feel rushed) We always felt that outside of family and close friends they were our biggest cheerleaders. Whether it was the receptionist at the front desk, the nurses, the lab, the financial counselors, Doctors, etc they ALL care for the patient as a whole, you most certainly will not feel like a number!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Calhoun.
I think in total we spent probably around $50k-$60k from the very start to the very end.
2013 - 2014
Dr Calhoun was fantastic!! She was great at explaining everything. During my IVF treatment, I was not responding well to the drugs and luckily Dr. Calhoun made the change midway through so I could finish the protocol.
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
Dr Calhoun was fantastic!! She was great at explaining everything. We originally planned to do three IUIs but after monitoring me she decided to recommend we just move on to IVF. I am so glad she did because one last test revealed I had a septum in my uterus that would have prevented me from getting pregnant. During my IVF treatment, I was not responding well to the drugs and luckily she made the change midway through so I could finish the protocol. On transfer day, the embryologist revealed my embryos were grade 3, but, somehow, both implanted! I believe it was Dr. Calhoun's skilled placement in my uterus. One split and the other thankfully never developed. Today, I have two beautiful twin girls and it is all because of Dr Calhoun.
The Johns Creek office is really efficient, I always valued how quickly k was seen.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I loved working with her, she gave me her personal email and telephone number. She also called me personally with my beta test results and was genuinely excited that we succeeded!
Describe your experience with your nurse.
They were always available to answer questions. They were great, I am so thankful they were on my case! The protocol was fantastically detailed. I have seen IVF protocols from other clinics and they don't compare to the level of detail ACRM provides.
Atlanta Perimeter
Our experience was amazing given the situation we were going through. Dr. Calhoun never rushed us and made sure we were 100% on board with every treatment. She took ample time to review each treatment and never left us feeling pressured or confused. She truly is one of a kind.... We tried three rounds of Letrozole before having my husband tested (our decision, not hers). We then moved onto IVF where we now have 14 embryos frozen and I'm pregnant with our first son.
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
Trust everything she says. She 100% has the patient's best interest in mind.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable and understood the process. She is one of the best doctors I've ever been around and I am forever grateful for her.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
Kim was amazing just like Dr. Calhoun. They are two of the most caring health care providers I think anyone will ever find.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
I thought everything about ACRM was wonderful. From the front desk staff to the nurses and doctors, they make you feel comfortable and welcomed. They work around your schedule to make sure you see the doctor you request and I never waited more than 10 minutes for an appointment. They made the retrieval and transfer process enjoyable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Calhoun.
Our insurance covered most of the treatment. I think I paid about $7,500 out of pocket at the end of the process.
Atlanta Perimeter
Dr Calhoun was kind, sincere and caring through the whole process. I would recommend her to anyone. We struggled with the process but she remained optimistic yet truthful. We will be forever grateful for her intelligence and compassion.... She cared about our ongoing situation.... We started with IUI, but after 2 miscarriages she suggested we shift to PGS with IVF. Although it was very expensive she explained it would increase our chances. Which it did!!
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
Ask questions and be prepared for a difficult road.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
She cared about our ongoing situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
The nurses were helpful yet at times seemed very busy and were hard to get a hold of. Overall they were good at their jobs.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
Be sure to know the contact names and numbers. It can be hard to get a hold of someone. Their services are expensive but you get what you pay for. The doctors are the best in the business. And be aware you won't always see your primary doctor and will have to travel to Atlanta for weekend appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Calhoun.
Very expensive and paid out of pocket. Around $15k for IVF and $1200 for IUI.
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Dr calhoun was like a trusted friend. She never rushed me through meetings....We were very happy with the care that I received. The only thing I would change is after several rounds of IVF we did get the impression that they had given up on us and it didn’t seem like there was a clear plan going forward....you will have to be very mindful of your own care and definitely review the protocol for errors and double check all of your prescription orders
Investment Banker
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
You will enjoy working with Dr. Calhoun. However you will have to be very mindful of your own care and definitely review the protocol for errors and double check all of your prescription orders
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
Dr calhoun was like a trusted friend. She never rushed me through meetings.
I did many different protocols. They weren’t very good about telling me the name of the protocol. It would have been great if the protocol name would have been on the instruction sheets.
I had a few different nurses during care. Overall my primary nurses were responsive and caring. The trouble came if they were out. Then it was a mess.
Describe your experience with ACRM.
A lot of upkeep falls on the patient in regards to deadlines, keeping up with prescriptions, noticing if a pre-approval is going to fall off. I would say that a new patient would have to understand that they’re going to have to be very proactive in their own health
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?
Atlanta Buckhead
3 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Calhoun was always picky when doing procedures to increase our chances of getting the best possible results. She was happy to explain things as many times as we needed.Dr. Calhoun is a perfect combination of warm support and blunt facts. She is honest and supportive, and knew when we needed hard facts and when we needed a hug. She made us feel like we were her only patient, and was always picky when doing procedures to increase our chances of getting the best possible results.
3 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kathryn Calhoun?
Dr. Calhoun is a perfect combination of warm support and blunt facts. She is honest and supportive, and knew when we needed hard facts and when we needed a hug. She made us feel like we were her only patient, and was always picky when doing procedures to increase our chances of getting the best possible results. She was happy to explain things as many times as we needed. Once we were pregnant and far enough along to not need to be followed by Dr. Calhoun anymore, I was a bit sad because working with her was wonderful. Of course we wish we never had needed a fertility specialist, but we feel so lucky that we found Dr. Calhoun when we realized we needed assistance.
Trust her.
During treatment, did you feel like you were treated like a number or a human?
I felt that my nurse knew me as a person and she was always willing to stay on the phone with me as long as possible to ensure my questions were answered and I felt comfortable. My nurse was switched due to office changes mid treatment, and Dr. Calhoun ensured my new nurse was someone I felt 100% comfortable with.
Describe your experience with your nurse.
They always knew who I was when I called, and stayed on the phone with me as long as I needed.
What specific things went wrong at this clinic?
15k for IVF and 4 k for meds