George Washington University

Doctor, Nurse available by emailNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolVanderbilt
ResidencyBeth Israel Boston
FellowshipBeth Israel Boston
2150 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20037
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kathryn Humm to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend George Washington University to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr Humm provided two hour-long consultations with us to help us understand our particular diagnosis and all of our options. She openly and patiently answered so many of our questions and drew diagrams and provided data we needed to make decisions...She spent a great deal of time explaining all of our options and when she thought we were hesitant about IVF suggested we could try IUI as a way to test the waters.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
She is kind, patient, and compassionate. She spent a great deal of time explaining all of our options and when she thought we were hesitant about IVF suggested we could try IUI as a way to test the waters. We found her to be warm and thoughtful and also direct about what to expect - she gave us a frank assessment of our odds and noted she and the clinic in general are conservative (for example, they transfer multiple eggs less than the average at other clinics).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
If you are looking for a super capable doctor who will spend the time to explain everything to you and answer all of your questions she is the doctor for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Dr Humm provided two hour-long consultations with us to help us understand our particular diagnosis and all of our options. She openly and patiently answered so many of our questions and drew diagrams and provided data we needed to make decisions. As things progressed with my initial cycle she was available to answer random questions or concerns I sent to my nurse. Further, she remembered and followed up on a financially-related query I made in one of our consultations; subsequently one of the admin folks provided us the information we needed.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Humm used in your cycles at George Washington University and their degree of success.
For us she prescribed one cycle of estrace (estrogen priming), then Gonal and Menopur stimulation along with Cetrocide for the latter end of stim with a trigger shot of Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at George Washington University. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah was very prompt in replying to my messages and emails and patient with my many questions regarding my protocol (I wanted to know the ins and outs, she even scheduled a call with me to walk me through what each medication does).
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
They are a smaller clinic who tend to take a more conservative approach to embryo transfers (I understood it that they prefer single in most cases). They provide individualized attention. Further, when we raised with our doctor the financial difficulty of paying out of pocket (our insurance does not cover any fertility treatments) their admin staff followed up and worked with us to address to the extent that they could our concerns.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Humm at George Washington University.
IVF Global (1 fresh retrieval; 1 FET) was approx $10,500 with PGS another $5,000 or so, additional FETs $4,500
Describe Kathryn Humm's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at George Washington University.
Dr Humm noted GW tends to err on the side of single embryo transfers for most patients (i.e. they are more conservative).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Humm really wants me to avoid twins, so she will not allow me to do IUI with injectibles. She said IVF was the best course of action for us, but we do not have insurance so would prefer less invasive treatments first...spent lots and lots of time with us. She answered all of our questions and took time to make sure we really understood the pros and cons. She took into account my individual medical history in her recommendations.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Dr. Humm sits down with you and takes notes as a visual aid while she talks to you. She answers questions thoroughly. She (via a nurse) responds to questions very quickly. She calmly and clearly explains things.
It helped move things more quickly that I came from another GW MFA practice -- she could see relevant records without me having to do anything.
Dr. Humm spent lots and lots of time with us. She answered all of our questions and took time to make sure we really understood the pros and cons. She took into account my individual medical history in her recommendations.
We are just beginning treatment with Dr. Humm. She gave us several options for treatment. For a variety of reasons, and with Dr. Humm's approval, we are trying without intervention for a few more cycles. We are in the first cycle of that trial. Then we will us clomid with either TI or IUI. Dr. Humm really wants me to avoid twins, so she will not allow me to do IUI with injectibles. She said IVF was the best course of action for us, but we do not have insurance so would prefer less invasive treatments first.
Describe your experience with your nurse at George Washington University. (Assigned nurse: Jasmine)
Our nurse responds to emails within minutes with details responses to questions. Our main interactions with her are to do follow-up stuff (like sign consent forms) after an appointment with Dr. Humm.
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
Coffee/tea available in the lobby. Small facility. I get the impression that they take harder cases and offer hope. I never felt like this was a fertility factory like I hear about from larger clinics.
My insurance covers diagnosis, so I haven't paid anything out of pocket so far.
Dr. Humm very much wants to avoid twins with me because of my increased risk of pre-eclampsia.
Washington DC
[Dr. Humm is a] wonderful physician who was straightforward and inspired confidence. She's very knowledgeable and extremely good at explaining scenarios and concepts about fertility treatment, gives her honest opinion without raising hopes. Best part is that she's very responsive to all our questions and straightforward and still compassionate without being overly emotional.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Wonderful physician who was straightforward and inspired confidence. She's very knowledgeable and extremely good at explaining scenarios and concepts about fertility treatment, gives her honest opinion without raising hopes. Best part is that she's very responsive to all our questions and straightforward and still compassionate without being overly emotional.
Come with good questions
It was a smaller practice with an individual focus
What specific things went wrong at George Washington University?