Good

9601 Blackwell Road, 4th and 5th floors
Rockville, MD 20850
301.340.1188

2017 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Kathryn Humm] has a wonderful bedside manner, is very understanding about each patient's unique journey, and she is super smart! She changed my protocol each time and didn't give up...she was caring but at the same time frank...I'm also incredibly grateful to her because she told us about secondary insurance in Maryland. We never could have afforded 5 egg retrievals and 4 rounds of IVF without it.
Even the front desk [at George Washington University] makes you feel cared for and not like a number. The finance department is incredible - so dedicated to saving you money (very different from the experience we had at a private clinic). I like that the appointments are at 7am so I never had to miss work. I also like that the nurses correspond by email so you have a record of the information and you don't get mixed up about directions.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
She is an all-star! Compassionate and smart. She made us feel like we were on a team together and we would do everything possible to make a baby. She was very understanding about my work schedule/travel and made suggestions that eased my stress level.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Humm. She has a wonderful bedside manner, is very understanding about each patient's unique journey, and she is super smart! She changed my protocol each time and didn't give up. We always felt like she was caring but at the same time frank. Without Dr. Humm's hard work and creativity, we wouldn't have our baby girl. I'm also incredibly grateful to her because she told us about secondary insurance in Maryland. We never could have afforded 5 egg retrievals and 4 rounds of IVF without it.
Describe the protocols Kathryn Humm used in your cycles at George Washington University and their degree of success.
Dr. Humm adjusted my protocol for each round. She tried different medications, different ways of administering medications, different timing, etc. I also did a scratch test and receptivity test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at George Washington University. (Assigned nurse: Mia)
Mia is such a special person. She is so warm and caring. She is my favorite nurse at GWU. She drew my blood countless times and was present for many of my procedures. She always made me smile and helped me stay calm when I was stressed out.
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
We couldn't ask for better care. Even the front desk makes you feel cared for and not like a number. The finance department is incredible - so dedicated to saving you money (very different from the experience we had at a private clinic). I like that the appointments are at 7am so I never had to miss work. I also like that the nurses correspond by email so you have a record of the information and you don't get mixed up about directions.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at George Washington University.
This was one of the best parts of my experience. It was so easy to come in at 7am. I could get in and out in less than 20 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathryn Humm at George Washington University.
Dr. Humm saved us thousands of dollars because she suggested we get secondary insurance through Maryland. It cut the cost at least in half if not more.
Describe Kathryn Humm's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at George Washington University.
She educated us on our options. We transferred 2 embryos during one of the transfers but just one the rest of the time.
Washington DC

Catherine [Kathryn Humm] gave me helpful information about the potential outcomes of egg-freezing vs. embryo freezing, known donors vs anonymous donors, financial implications of each choice, and the decline in fertility as one ages. These helped me to decide on the option right for me, and she was careful to present everything objectively. She is competent, charismatic and kind.
This is a small clinic that's part of George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates. It is located in a hospital in downtown DC, and the waiting area lacks the fanciness of other clinics I visited. However, it is more affordable and I feel I've received more kind, personalized, and efficient care ... I have never had trouble making an appointment, and they are pretty much available 24-7.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Catherine gave me helpful information about the potential outcomes of egg-freezing vs. embryo freezing, known donors vs anonymous donors, financial implications of each choice, and the decline in fertility as one ages. These helped me to decide on the option right for me, and she was careful to present everything objectively. She is competent, charismatic and kind.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
I did a lot of research to find her and I'd say she's one of the best in the DMV area. Disclaimer- I haven't begun the egg freezing process yet, so my experience is solely based on the consult and post-fertility testing appointment.
Catherine is kind, spends time answering my questions with evidence-based information in terminology that I can understand, and has good interpersonal communication skills. I never felt rushed or as though any of my questions were too dumb. My appointments are always on time, and she spent a full hour with me on two occasions- my initial consult and getting the results of my fertility tests. She presented the results in an easy to understand manner and clearly laid out the process and timeline for egg freezing.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at George Washington University.
The nurses were kind and efficient.
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
This is a small clinic that's part of George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates. It is located in a hospital in downtown DC, and the waiting area lacks the fanciness of other clinics I visited. However, it is more affordable and I feel I've received more kind, personalized, and efficient care than a friend who is currently undergoing fertility treatments at Shady Grove, which she describes as a reproduction assembly line. I have never had trouble making an appointment, and they are pretty much available 24-7.
Washington DC
She [nurse at George Washington University] was encouraging and offered a little bit of hope during a moment where I was incredibly frustrated, tired, and ready to give up. The nursing staff really goes out of their way to help the patients...if paying out of pocket IUI can run about 1500 per procedure, not including medication costs...The staff runs on a rotation for monitoring and the nurses perform the IUIs.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Dr. Humm is very thorough in her consultations and actually writes out and sketches what is going on. This was super helpful to me because I love to know all the details of why we go with a certain treatment. I really love my experience so far with Dr. Humm, my only reservation is I wish that I saw her during my IUI procedures.
Go in to your appointment with an open mind and trust the process. Ask questions.
Dr. Humm was very warm and friendly at each visit I had with her. So far in my treatment, I've had two consultations (one for initial diagnosis, and one after treatments with just medication didn't work) and I saw her a handful of times during monitoring. Each visit, Dr. Humm was sure to greet me, ask me how I was doing, and thoroughly explain what was going on. She was the FIRST and so far only doctor to make me feel okay for not being able to lose weight easily (because that's a struggle with PCOS) and the first doctor who really gave me hope when it comes to PCOS and fertility.
Dr. Humm evaluated me and diagnosed me with PCOS. I had all the signs of the PCOS and testing confirmed. However, after reviewing we learned that my insulin and glucose levels didn't really certify a true need for metformin so we stopped that treatment. We did move forward with Letrozole since that has a better response for patients with PCOS vs Clomid and she explained the pros and cons of both medications. Moving into IUI, she was very candid that our chance of success wouldn't improve much more than timed intercourse. We chose IUI because we felt it would help remove from the of the stress of timed intercourse (and our insurance covered it). Dr. Humm tended to go on the side of conversative when it came to treatment which I really appreciate because I'd like to get pregnant with as little intervention as possible.
Describe your experience with your nurse at George Washington University. (Assigned nurse: Jasmine)
My nurse is Jasmine and she is really great! She is always prompt to email me with test results and always there to answer any questions. During my first IUI, my period ended up being delayed by 4 days which was confusing and frustrating. Jasmin was super helpful in explaining that sometimes this happens and shared that I wasn't alone in this struggle. In addition to Jasmin, everyone on staff is super friendly. There was one moment before my first IUI where I thought I wasn't responding to my medication. I was crying as I walked out of the ultrasound room and the head nurse came and gave me a hug. She was encouraging and offered a little bit of hope during a moment where I was incredibly frustrated, tired, and ready to give up. The nursing staff really goes out of their way to help the patients.
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
The GWU is a smaller clinic which means you get to know all of the staff fairly quickly. It is centrally located in the city and the monitoring hours are early in the morning which is very helpful for those who work 9-5 jobs. Overall, I love all of these qualities of the clinic. One weakness is that you may not see your exact doctor at every visit. The staff runs on a rotation for monitoring and the nurses perform the IUIs.
At the present moment, all of my costs were covered by insurance. However, if paying out of pocket IUI can run about 1500 per procedure, not including medication costs.
Washington DC

Dr. Humm really wants me to avoid twins, so she will not allow me to do IUI with injectibles. She said IVF was the best course of action for us, but we do not have insurance so would prefer less invasive treatments first...spent lots and lots of time with us. She answered all of our questions and took time to make sure we really understood the pros and cons. She took into account my individual medical history in her recommendations.
Our nurse [at George Washington University] responds to emails within minutes with details responses to questions. Our main interactions with her are to do follow-up stuff (like sign consent forms) after an appointment with Dr. Humm...Coffee/tea available in the lobby. Small facility. I get the impression that they take harder cases and offer hope. I never felt like this was a fertility factory like I hear about from larger clinics.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Dr. Humm sits down with you and takes notes as a visual aid while she talks to you. She answers questions thoroughly. She (via a nurse) responds to questions very quickly. She calmly and clearly explains things.
It helped move things more quickly that I came from another GW MFA practice -- she could see relevant records without me having to do anything.
Dr. Humm spent lots and lots of time with us. She answered all of our questions and took time to make sure we really understood the pros and cons. She took into account my individual medical history in her recommendations.
We are just beginning treatment with Dr. Humm. She gave us several options for treatment. For a variety of reasons, and with Dr. Humm's approval, we are trying without intervention for a few more cycles. We are in the first cycle of that trial. Then we will us clomid with either TI or IUI. Dr. Humm really wants me to avoid twins, so she will not allow me to do IUI with injectibles. She said IVF was the best course of action for us, but we do not have insurance so would prefer less invasive treatments first.
Our nurse responds to emails within minutes with details responses to questions. Our main interactions with her are to do follow-up stuff (like sign consent forms) after an appointment with Dr. Humm.
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
My insurance covers diagnosis, so I haven't paid anything out of pocket so far.
Dr. Humm very much wants to avoid twins with me because of my increased risk of pre-eclampsia.
Washington DC

Dr Humm provided two hour-long consultations with us to help us understand our particular diagnosis and all of our options. She openly and patiently answered so many of our questions and drew diagrams and provided data we needed to make decisions...She spent a great deal of time explaining all of our options and when she thought we were hesitant about IVF suggested we could try IUI as a way to test the waters.
They are a smaller clinic [GWU] who tend to take a more conservative approach to embryo transfers (I understood it that they prefer single in most cases). They provide individualized attention. Further, when we raised with our doctor the financial difficulty of paying out of pocket (our insurance does not cover any fertility treatments) their admin staff followed up and worked with us to address to the extent that they could our concerns.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
She is kind, patient, and compassionate. She spent a great deal of time explaining all of our options and when she thought we were hesitant about IVF suggested we could try IUI as a way to test the waters. We found her to be warm and thoughtful and also direct about what to expect - she gave us a frank assessment of our odds and noted she and the clinic in general are conservative (for example, they transfer multiple eggs less than the average at other clinics).
If you are looking for a super capable doctor who will spend the time to explain everything to you and answer all of your questions she is the doctor for you.
Dr Humm provided two hour-long consultations with us to help us understand our particular diagnosis and all of our options. She openly and patiently answered so many of our questions and drew diagrams and provided data we needed to make decisions. As things progressed with my initial cycle she was available to answer random questions or concerns I sent to my nurse. Further, she remembered and followed up on a financially-related query I made in one of our consultations; subsequently one of the admin folks provided us the information we needed.
For us she prescribed one cycle of estrace (estrogen priming), then Gonal and Menopur stimulation along with Cetrocide for the latter end of stim with a trigger shot of Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at George Washington University. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah was very prompt in replying to my messages and emails and patient with my many questions regarding my protocol (I wanted to know the ins and outs, she even scheduled a call with me to walk me through what each medication does).
Describe your experience with George Washington University.
They are a smaller clinic who tend to take a more conservative approach to embryo transfers (I understood it that they prefer single in most cases). They provide individualized attention. Further, when we raised with our doctor the financial difficulty of paying out of pocket (our insurance does not cover any fertility treatments) their admin staff followed up and worked with us to address to the extent that they could our concerns.
IVF Global (1 fresh retrieval; 1 FET) was approx $10,500 with PGS another $5,000 or so, additional FETs $4,500
Dr Humm noted GW tends to err on the side of single embryo transfers for most patients (i.e. they are more conservative).
Washington DC

It [GWU Fertility] was a smaller practice with an individual focus....[Dr. Humm is a] wonderful physician who was straightforward and inspired confidence. She's very knowledgeable and extremely good at explaining scenarios and concepts about fertility treatment, gives her honest opinion without raising hopes. Best part is that she's very responsive to all our questions and straightforward and still compassionate without being overly emotional.
How was your experience with Kathryn Humm at George Washington University?
Wonderful physician who was straightforward and inspired confidence. She's very knowledgeable and extremely good at explaining scenarios and concepts about fertility treatment, gives her honest opinion without raising hopes. Best part is that she's very responsive to all our questions and straightforward and still compassionate without being overly emotional.
Come with good questions
It was a smaller practice with an individual focus
What specific things went wrong at George Washington University?