Medical SchoolBaylor
Round Rock
16040 Park Valley Drive
Round Rock, TX 78681
512-451-0149
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaylen Silverberg to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Texas Fertility Center to a friend?
2014 - 2018
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Silverberg] speaks quickly and is very up to date and knowledgeable on all fertility topics but takes time to review all details with you personally. He cared when our first round wasn’t successful enough to give us his personal cell for any questions or concerns along the way. He hugged me and commiserated the initial loss (lack of success) upon learning of unsuccessful transfers.... Our first stimulation and egg retrieval resulted in a lower number of eggs retrieved than originally predicted. Dr Silverberg adjusted my next cycle appropriately with more estrogen injections to yield more eggs for fertilization.
2014 - 2018
2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
He is quick paced and speaks very quickly but works well and is super knowledgeable. He slows down when asked and will review any information when asked. His wait time leaves something to be desired but otherwise he is amazing. He is caring and compassionate and I would recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
I would advise a prospective patient to bring a book to the waiting room of the office but rest assured that it’s worth the wait.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
He speaks quickly and is very up to date and knowledgeable on all fertility topics but takes time to review all details with you personally. He cared when our first round wasn’t successful enough to give us his personal cell for any questions or concerns along the way. He hugged me and commiserated the initial loss (lack of success) upon learning of unsuccessful transfers.
Describe the protocols Kaylen Silverberg used in your cycles at Texas Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Our first stimulation and egg retrieval resulted in a lower number of eggs retrieved than originally predicted. Dr Silverberg adjusted my next cycle appropriately with more estrogen injections to yield more eggs for fertilization. He also carefully monitored me to ensure that I didn’t become hyper stimulated. The second round of stimulation was also accompanied by a freeze all cycle rather than fresh which was easier on my emotions and body to have the break between the retrieval and the transfer. The research showed that freeze all is typically more successful which was true for our situation as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
They were super responsive and efficient. They would personally call with results and review the meaning of the information. The care I received from them when any delicate or bad news was shared was very compassionate.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Their knowledge base is invaluable! The doctors all seem to be very professional and ensure that your care is provided at the highest level. The nurses are responsive and compassionate. They are organized as well. The only weakness I would begin to discuss would be the wait time at regular office visit is but I understand that surgeries often go longer than expected and I would rather have the great care they provide.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center.
All in all (for two rounds of stimulation, 3 egg retrievals) we spent $35K but that included our medications, the embryology (through Ovation), the surgery center, and TFCs services. The costs associated with TFC directly were very reasonable (for the ultrasounds, office visits, retrevial and transfer).
Describe Kaylen Silverberg's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Texas Fertility Center.
Dr Silverberg strongly stuck to transferring only one embryo at a time. He said he was part of the initiative that wrote guidelines for age and transfer and that he had been responsible for too many NICU babies and exorbitant hospital bills. He felt it was a more responsible move to transfer one embryo at a time based on age factors. He said once I was >35 he would be willing to transfer 2 at a time.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Kaylen Silverberg] is incredibly knowledgeable and has a ton of experience with IVF. I always felt like I was receiving the best care. When I was unsure of what to try next, he offered examples of previous patients in similar situations. He always presented multiple options and clearly pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of each. He left the choice up to me and was willing to move forward with whatever treatment I felt comfortable with and without judgement. He took my worries seriously and never made me feel bad for asking questions.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
He is incredibly knowledgeable and has a ton of experience with IVF. I always felt like I was receiving the best care. When I was unsure of what to try next, he offered examples of previous patients in similar situations. He always presented multiple options and clearly pointed out the advantages and disadvantages of each. He left the choice up to me and was willing to move forward with whatever treatment I felt comfortable with and without judgement. He took my worries seriously and never made me feel bad for asking questions.
Be honest and up front with any of your concerns and don't be afraid to ask questions.
He was willing to spend as much time as I needed explaining procedures, answering my questions, and presenting me with options. He was never rude and always made an effort to make sure I left the clinic happy.
My first IVF cycle used a long lupron (agonist) protocol since I had never tried injectable drugs before. I responded slowly and my medication was increased to compensate. A slightly lower than average number of eggs were retrieved and only one embryo made it to the blastocyst stage. It was tested PGS abnormal and incompatible with life. My second IVF cycle used a microdose lupron flare protocol since I am a poor/slow responder to fertility drugs and there was a question about my egg quality. I was on the maximum dose for most of the cycle and ended up with a normal number of eggs. We did not have any embryos make it to the blastocyst stage. We did not get any viable embryos using my own eggs (poor quality) so we moved on to an egg donor after 2 failed IVFs. Our donor used an antagonist protocol because that is the fastest and easiest cycle for my doctor to manage. She had donated before so my doctor used her previous cycle as a starting point. Her dosage was updated every two or three days based on her response, and we ended up with a higher than average number of eggs and PGS normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat (non IVF cycles), Shanna (IVF cycles), and Jennifer (donor egg cycles))
My first nurse (Kat) was assigned to me for clomid cycles. She was kind and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. My second nurse (Shanna) was assigned to me for own egg IVF cycles. She was amazing and went above and beyond to answer all of my questions. She even asked the embryology team directly to help me understand why my first IVF didn't work. My third nurse (Jennifer) was assigned to me for a donor egg IVF cycle. She was awesome and answered all of my questions. She also sent me information ahead of time to make sure I had everything I needed and didn't have to make any last minute decisions. She kept me updated with my donor's cycle and I never had to worry about what was going on.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
TFC is one of the larger clinics in the state. They don't turn away patients based on diagnosis and will do everything they can to help you conceive. According to SART, their success rates are above the national average. They strongly recommend eSET when possible and I never felt pressured to try a treatment before I was ready. I saw my doctor for almost all of my appointments, even the quick, simple sonograms. My doctor performed all of my sonograms and a nurse was in the room taking notes. If my doctor was unavailable I was given the option of rescheduling or choosing another doctor at the clinic for that day. The only downside is that TFC sees a lot of patients and sometimes runs behind in the afternoon. The longest I have had to wait for my appointment was 45 minutes when someone else's consultation ran long.
The billing department did a great job of breaking down the cost for every part of my treatment. We paid a total of about $70,000 out of pocket (no insurance coverage) for 2 own-egg IVF cycles (~$17k and $15k), one donor egg cycle (~$33k), and one transfer cycle (~$3k). We elected to freeze all and PGS test our embryos for each cycle. We were presented with an estimate of expenses before treatment started so there were no surprise charges.
My husband and I desired an eSET and my doctor was supportive of our decision. He typically recommends eSET for PGS normal embryos and first time transfers unless there is a compelling reason to transfer more.
Central Austin
Dr. S [Dr. Kaylen Silverberg] is compassionate, enthusiastic, positive, and interested in your patient history. For the most part he seems focused on figuring out problems and is cautious about checking all the boxes (i.e. he insisted on an ERA biopsy to make sure we were transferring on the right day before we did a frozen embryo transfer since we only had one good PGS embryo to work with). He makes an effort to talk or meet with you right away when you get bad news. That being said, I have now had 3 failed frozen transfers and am "unexplained" with still no answers as to what is going on, even though we have done everything under the sun that has been recommended.
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. S is compassionate, enthusiastic, positive, and interested in your patient history. For the most part he seems focused on figuring out problems and is cautious about checking all the boxes (i.e. he insisted on an ERA biopsy to make sure we were transferring on the right day before we did a frozen embryo transfer since we only had one good PGS embryo to work with). He makes an effort to talk or meet with you right away when you get bad news. That being said, I have now had 3 failed frozen transfers and am "unexplained" with still no answers as to what is going on, even though we have done everything under the sun that has been recommended.
Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for more information or clarification, even if he is in a hurry.
Warm, personal bedside manner.
2 fresh freeze all retrieval cycles on Gonal F, Menopur and Lupron (starting with birth control and Lupron suppression). Resulted in 9 mature eggs; 2 day 6 blasts, but only 1 PGS normal embryo for 1st cycle; 8 mature eggs; 5 day 6 blasts and 2 PGS normal embryos for the 2nd cycle. 3 FETs on Crinone and Estradiol support. 1st FET = HCG of 41, chemical pregnancy. 2nd FET = BFN. 3rd FET = HCG of 28, chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
Relatively well organized, receive call backs and emails very quickly, staff is not "flaky" at all. They are kind and professional and good patient advocates; they will hunt the doctors down for you to get your questions answered.
Fresh retrieval freeze-all cycle with PGS testing and ICSI: approx. $16,000 Frozen embryo transfer with assisted hatching: approx. $2,600 Monitoring Ultrasounds (weekdays): $210 Monitoring Ultrasounds (weekends): $250 ERA Biopsy: $300 (plus $900 for the testing company)
Strong preference for freeze all cycles, PGS testing, and eSETs.
Central Austin
Be patient because sometimes it seems as though he's taking the long way around but its only because he is making sure you've received all the tests and preparatory steps before moving forward...While I do sometimes feel like he moves through the appointments quickly and he seems to be very busy, I REALLY like Dr. Silverberg and I'm very comfortable being in his care. He has great bedside manner and with procedures that can obviously be awkward at times, its really important to me to have a doctor that I feel as much at ease as possible. Besides his personality, he's very thorough in his assessments and treatment plans and he has a lot of experience and expertise in fertility related issues.
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Silverberg always greets me, asks me how I'm doing and I honestly feel that he's has my best interest in mind and that he's cheering for me.
I've had 5 IUIs that we got progressively more aggressive with. My first IUI was unmedicated. The second and third were in conjunction with Femara and my fourth and fifth cycles were with gonal-f injections and the ovidrel trigger. I also used progesterone suppositories after the IUIs on the last two cycles. I'm still trying to conceive so none of the IUIs produced a positive pregnancy test. So I have decided to move on to IVF treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat)
All of the staff at Texas Fertility Center are amazing. I've worked with a lot of the ladies in the office and have never met a negative person there. They are all very helpful and compassionate. Its a joy having that team during such a difficult time.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
As I stated, the staff at the clinic are the most compassionate and knowlegeable people in the field of medicine. The clinic itself is in a great location and is inviting. The one weakness I have noticed is that they seem to run behind schedule a lot.
I don't remember exactly but I think I paid about $250 per IUI and about the same for sonograms. It was about $40 higher on weekends and holidays. Consultations were about $95.
I have not yet had an embryo transfer. I'll begin my IVF cycle in about two weeks.
What specific things went wrong at Texas Fertility Center?
2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Male Factor
He explains everything that is happening in the appointment, such as what he sees on the ultrasound and showing us what each thing is, he shows us how he is measuring the size of the follicles and lining of the uterus, and takes the time to answer questions... Don't be turned off by the 10 minute exam once the process of the treatment begins. He spends an hour with you at the initial consult. He welcomes questions and is easy to work with.
2012 - 2014
Anovulation, Male Factor
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Dr. Silverberg is very thorough is very real. He explains everything that is happening in the appointment, such as what he sees on the ultrasound and showing us what each thing is, he shows us how he is measuring the size of the follicles and lining of the uterus, and takes the time to answer questions. He has been to Washington, D.C. several times to advocate for infertility which shows me he is passionate about what he does and his desire to help people in this situation.
Although Dr. Silverberg is very quick, he is ready to answer questions at every appointment. Even two years after our first round of IVF, he remembered us.
I don't remember the type of protocols used but for both full IVF cycles, I was on birth control for about 3 weeks, lupron for a couple of weeks, lupron and gonal-f for 10 days the first round and 12 days the second round. I triggered with ovidrel both times and was on estrogen pills for a little over a week and crinone until my progesterone numbers were high enough. We went to IVF, skipping IUI, because my husband has a history of trsticular cancer which greatly effected his numbers. I feel like that was the right call so we weren't spending so much money on countless IUIs that probably wouldn't have worked. Our first IVF resulted in 6 embryos, only one in the blast stage. We transferred two, the rest arrested, and we had one healthy baby. The second round resulted in 10 embryos, 4 reaching the blast stage. We opted to freeze all in order to allow my body to adjust from being on the meds. We did a frozen transfer about 2 weeks later of one embryo which resulted in one healthy baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center.
We had a different nurse for each round, but both were excellent. We were able to call with any questions at any time and both were prompt in returning those calls. I really believe they wanted treatments to be successful for us just as much as we did.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
The clinic is warm and welcoming. So many people working there but helping everyone out, being understanding of any type of situation, cheering every patient on, and overall very kind hearted people.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Texas Fertility Center.
Scheduling was easy. The doctors tend to do procedures in the morning and office appointments in the afternoons. We waited in a beautiful waiting room usually no more than 15 minutes from our appointment time. The monitoring ultrasound itself only took about 10 minutes if we didn't have questions. We always felt comfortable and like we were given every piece of information we needed.
We paid for everything except the medications at our clinic. Everything had to be paid in full at the baseline appointment. If something changed, for example an extra monitoring appointment that we weren't expecting, we were made aware and they worked with us on payment.
North Austin
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Silverberg] is an amazing communicator and always in an upbeat mood. we knew success was just around the corner. He does tons of fertility research but doesn't have clinical personality...Was genuinely sad when we weren't pregnant and elated to meet our son at an office visit. Amazing change from our other fertility doctor. He made us feel like we were in control - when we had felt so downtrodden
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
he is an amazing communicator and always in an upbeat mood. we knew success was just around the corner. He does tons of fertility research but doesn't have clinical personality
He's very busy - be patient. He runs late because he cares so much. pay it forward - one day you might be the patient that needs that extra 20 minutes to dry your eyes and adjust the plan. if I'm in the waiting room i don't mind waiting for you.
He listened to both me and my husband and honestly answered our questions. He had current research data to back up his treatment plans and gave us realistic percentages for success - never making us fell stupid for asking "why" and "why not". Was genuinely sad when we weren't pregnant and elated to meet our son at an office visit. Amazing change from our other fertility doctor. He made us feel like we were in control - when we had felt so downtrodden
I'm old. I needed lots of help but I conceived with my own eggs with a poor responders protocol. We used PGS and a freeze all cycle to find normal eggs on the second go round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Cat/Laura )
Cat and Laura were amazing, caring individuals. I felt like they took care of only me and my emotional needs. I also feel that if i needed to talk to Dr Silverberg they would connect me if needed. Although this wasn't really an issue - he gave me his cell phone
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
very nice setting conveniently located by my house. they have offices all over Austin as well. I only went to the main office and Round Rock once because it was convenient for me that day
Did IVF with PGS - drugs were covered with copays and some of our cycle cost (PGS) was covered with one of Dr Silverberg's fertility studies. Total cost less than $10,000
2010 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
When two tries at IUI didn't work, he [Dr Kaylen Silverberg] consoled me and convinced me to continue my journey when I was at my breaking point. He was so genuinely happy for me when I was finally pregnant with my now five year old. He loves his job. I cannot say enough good things about him. When I went back to him almost two years later at age 40, I was pretty sure I was going to have an only child but he told me about the donor program and explained it in such a positive light that I left the office thinking, why not? So thanks to his guidance, I have two healthy happy boys and the family I had always dreamed of but never really thought I could hope fo
2010 - 2013
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
I always knew I would have fertility issues and I left my first appointment with him beyond hopeful. He listened to my long story and immediately took me for an exam. He said he would go straight to IVF if he were me (after surgery) but was willing to explore less expensive options. When two tries at IUI didn't work, he consoled me and convinced me to continue my journey when I was at my breaking point. He was so genuinely happy for me when I was finally pregnant with my now five year old. He loves his job. I cannot say enough good things about him. When I went back to him almost two years later at age 40, I was pretty sure I was going to have an only child but he told me about the donor program and explained it in such a positive light that I left the office thinking, why not? So thanks to his guidance, I have two healthy happy boys and the family I had always dreamed of but never really thought I could hope for. I am so thankful I met him. It's a very difficult journey but he is so positive that it keeps you going and your eye on the prize!
Listen to every work and take his advice, He knows exactly what he is doing. If he says to go IVF, listen. It will most likely save you time, money and heartache.
He takes his time to explain everything and makes you feel like he knows you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Texas Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
They were on call 24/7. They were all really nice, compassionate and understanding.
Describe your experience with Texas Fertility Center.
the only negative thing I would say is that you can be waiting a long time past your appointment time but I think that is the nature of this business. They take the time needed with each patient so once you are back there you don't feel rushed or like a number. Also, considering all of the last minute scheduling they do for IVF cycles, it is amazing how organized it actually is.
My IVF came out to about $15,000. My IVF with donor eggs was about $28,000. The later includes additional costs because the first donor did not work out
North Austin
2007 - 2010
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Smart and technically savvy; talks very fast...He [Dr Silverberg] explained things candidly and thoroughly; he called me personally to discuss lab results and hormone levels; he was witty and didn't talk down to me as a patient....Very good clinic and well-run. The only major issue was that Dr. S was chronically late - sometimes 2 hours or more.
2007 - 2010
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Kaylen Silverberg at Texas Fertility Center?
Smart and technically savvy; talks very fast.
He explained things candidly and thoroughly; he called me personally to discuss lab results and hormone levels; he was witty and didn't talk down to me as a patient.
I had monitoring in Houston.