Medical SchoolWash U. St. Louis
ResidencyNaval Hospital
FellowshipNIH / Walter Reed
1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Keith Hansen to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
We did 4 rounds of IUI [with Dr. Keith Hansen]. The first, we took no medication. The following, my wife took Chlomid and then also a trigger shot. By rounds 3-4 we were still doing chlomid but changed to a double trigger as one of the cycles resulted in early ovulation and a delayed period by about 2 weeks... Dr. Hansen was empathetic and even made us laugh to ease the tension.
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
When we started fertility treatments, we did not know what to expect and unfortunately found that there were many surprises along the way that were not described to us. When we are investing a lot of time and money, we expected nothing but the best. I will say though that since we are starting IVF treatments, we have had a much more positive experience so far (we are in the early stages of this process. Dr. Hansen was empathetic and even made us laugh to ease the tension.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you are prepared with questions and do not be afraid to ask them and push for answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Sometimes we felt as if they were trying to boost their success rate and not so much caring for each individual. We have found over time, this has gotten better and they are more empathetic.
Describe the protocols Keith Hansen used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 4 rounds of IUI. The first, we took no medication. The following, my wife took Chlomid and then also a trigger shot. By rounds 3-4 we were still doing chlomid but changed to a double trigger as one of the cycles resulted in early ovulation and a delayed period by about 2 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
I can say without hesitation that we had nurses we preferred over others. The ones we enjoyed had been funny, emphathetic and just plain awesome!
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk lady, Stacy is awesome!! She remembers who you are even if several months have passed and is super fun to talk to. One thing I would change is making sure that there is 1 nurse or 1 doctor providing a patient information. It was frustrating when we would be told different things by different doctors/nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance does not cover any portion of this so it was all out of pocket. We paid for several tests, medications and the actual procedure. I would say each round of IUI cost is around 3-4K with our first round of IVF being around 20k.
Describe Keith Hansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
We are gearing up for IUI and plan to do a multiple embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
He [Dr. Hansen] was very knowledgeable and understanding. Answered all of my questions fully so both I and my husband could understand the situation and procedures....We first started out on lower dose Letrozole, that wasn't producing what he wanted so we increased the doasge and I had started feeling nauseous so they also included a medication to help with that. Tried that for a couple cycles before moving on to IUI....
European, Other
Anovulation, Endometriosis, PCOS
He was very knowledgeable and understanding. Answered all of my questions fully so both I and my husband could understand the situation and procedures. We had already been through a lot before going to Dr. Hansen and felt like he was the right choice for us.
Dr. Hansen truly cares for each patient.
All the staff were very warm and comforting. They remembered who you were and what you've been through.
We first started out on lower dose Letrozole, that wasn't producing what he wanted so we increased the doasge and I had started feeling nauseous so they also included a medication to help with that. Tried that for a couple cycles before moving on to IUI. We also switched to Clomid when starting the IUI cycles. After that resulted in no pregnancy after a couple cycles we agreed that it was best to do a diagnostic laparoscopy in which they found endometriosis. After my body healed we went back to IUI with no pregnancy after a couple more cycles they recommended moving on to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Angela Schmidt)
They were always comforting and compassionate. Made sure all of our questions were answered every visit and comfortable with the treatment.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I would send anybody to this clinic. Everyone from the receptionist to the ultrasound techs to the Doctors are warm, comforting and compassionate. They truly want a positive outcome from every person.
I thought the costs were reasonable. Our insurance did not cover a lot but I knew that going into treatment. I thought the price of IUI was fair.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I loved how honest Dr. HANSEN was. He took time to explain what was and going to happen. Even if he didn't know an answer he tried to find an answer. He made me safe and with 3 surgeries done with him not including the fallopian test and multiple ultrasounds. He always stayed up beat and positive which kept my spirits up.... We did a lower dose IVF with one ovary and PCOs he did not want to over stimulate. No birth control was used. It yeilded 7 eggs. 5 embroyos, 2 transferred and the remaining died before freezing. It was a negative pregnancy test.
Male Factor, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
It's ok to ask questions. He will answer them and make sure you are comfortable.
He took time to listen to my concerns and answer my questions without it seeming like a chore.
I got frustrated that I had to keep correcting my protocol with them or the fact that I only have 1 ovary.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very friendly, efficient, and easy to work with. A few things that I would say our the weaknesses were they don't always read the charts before meeting with the patient. I had to multiple times remind them of my history and remind them of the protocol that we were using.
We paid for 1 round of IVF with ICSI, all of the testing, monitoring, and medication and it was around $23,000.
They would at most transfer 2 for my age.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
2012 - 2017
He [Dr. Keith Hansen] is so welcoming. Friendly. Makes you feel at ease and not nervous. Easy to talk to and ask questions. Does not talk over your head!! Gives great info but not too much info. Explains risks but not in a scary way...We tried clomid with times intercourse for 4 cycles. No pregnancies. Keith recommend us to try another route by gave us the option to be as aggressive as we liked. We tried 3 IUI's with clomid. No pregnancies. We didn't want to continue to waste time and money and he said if we were ready then IVF next route.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
He is so welcoming. Friendly. Makes you feel at ease and not nervous. Easy to talk to and ask questions. Does not talk over your head!! Gives great info but not too much info. Explains risks but not in a scary way
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
He is great!! You will feel right at home!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Very friendly, talks real but not over your head. Gives the perfect amount of info! Makes you welcomed
Describe the protocols Keith Hansen used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We tried clomid with times intercourse for 4 cycles. No pregnancies. Keith recommend us to try another route by gave us the option to be as aggressive as we liked. We tried 3 IUI's with clomid. No pregnancies. We didn't want to continue to waste time and money and he said if we were ready then IVF next route. We did shots along with IVF. We conceived on first round!
Friendly. Super easy to ask questions and always responsive. Didn't make you feel out of place. Made you feel like you were right at home and so passionate!! 😄 Cared about how doing and YOU
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
They are very welcoming, accommodating and give you to knowledge you need. The scheduling of appointments is sometimes hard. They have a full schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
15,000-18,000 with medications included in that.
Describe Keith Hansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
He told us it was our choice. Due to age and our history. Unexplained infertility, he seemed like 2 was a good options for us. He doesn't recommend over 2
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Hansen would sit and talk to us for hours and answering all our questions we had. He treated us like we were family...Dr Hansen is very sympathetic person. He wants the best results for every single patient of his. He would explain things to us in ways we could understand. He also has a way of making us relax in a stressful process...I was diagnosed with PCOS, so I produce a lot of eggs. he had me on a protocol to produce less eggs but of higher quality. Instead of a ton of eggs at Ok-ish quality.
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions, he will sit for hours until you have no more questions. He will never make you feel like he is in a hurry and needs to be somewhere else.
They are all the most warm hearted, wonderful, cry with you, laugh with you, sit with you for hours people.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
They have expanded they're clinic to help accommodate the rising infertility issues. More staff, more rooms, ect
Ultrasounds/clinic visits-500$ a time IVF process 12,000 w/o meds ICSI- 2000 Genetic testing 4500 Iui 800 Saline infused ultrasound 800
dr. Hansen, my husband and I all decided together to do 1 embryo transfers based on the high quality embryo and genetically tested normal to help reduce multiples or miscarriages.
2013 - 2017
Dr. Hansen is very knowledgeable, and definitely has a lot of experience. Overall, I think he is good at what he does. But he didn't seem to want to think outside the box for our situation. To a certain extent, I think he was trying to protect us financially, but we wanted a child more than anything and were willing to pay for it.... After a retrieval, I wished he would have come talk to me (and not just my husband) to let me know how it had gone.
2013 - 2017
Be ready for the rollercoaster that is ART.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
This is the only clinic in the area that does ART -- so options are limited. I think the doctors are good at what they do, but we had significant issues with billing. For one cycle we overpaid nearly $7000, and had to fight with the clinic to get it back. We had similar issues on subsequent cycles, but because of this experience I refused to prepay. They would have never brought it to our attention if I hadn't caught the discrepancy between our EOBs and clinic statements. So watch this, as it can happen.
Sioux Falls
He [Dr. Keith Hansen] was the one who called me with the news that we couldn't move forward with an embryo transfer since the embryos didn't fully develop. He was empathetic and even stayed on the phone with me while I had an emotional breakdown. He talked me through it and advised we can still try again or think about donor eggs. Every time we mee with him he was upbeat and positive.
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
He was the one who called me with the news that we couldn't move forward with an embryo transfer since the embryos didn't fully develop. He was empathetic and even stayed on the phone with me while I had an emotional breakdown. He talked me through it and advised we can still try again or think about donor eggs. Every time we mee with him he was upbeat and positive.
Don't give up
He was easy to talk to and took the time to make sure we fully understood everything. He was gentle with his responses, upfront and honest.
I used menopur, hcg, gonal f, and centricide. I didn't end up pregnant but my body responded well to the meds and had16 eggs retrieved.
The were awesome! They answered all my questions, returned my calls and emails with in same day. They took the time to throughly go through all the steps required for my meds which was very important to me
My loan package was 23,000 which covered 2 IVF cycles. My first one was October 2016 and was unsuccessful. My next will be June 2017
2013 - 2015
He has compassion. He does not see you every time- just for consults and then his NPs do the rest.
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
he has compassion. he does not see you every time- just for consults and then his NPs do the rest. But then he gets to charge you another consult when you are "finished" with that phase of treatments- like we did IUI then after that didn't work we have to pay 600 dollars for another consult to discuss IVF (which we had initially discussed ivf after iui if it didn't work).
overall we had a good experience, but we are still in the process and going to be starting ivf- at another facility since their numbers are not good.
I barely was seen by Dr. HAnsen himself. mostly seen by his nurse practitioners. I felt as though they made me feel less like a number than a human- but they are still a doctors office and this is routine for them- they want to get in and get out to finish their day. the nurses at the office were less warm and fuzzy, and the secretaries (better now) but in 2013 when we started the treatment, they were not helpful and very grumpy.
nothing really- no one went out of their way to be nice or make sure I knew the plans.
2011 - 2012
Dr. Hansen is extremely knowledgeable about infertility treatment. I also did my own research and consulted with him about my findings, he was very open to discussion options with me. Even if I hadn't been successful, I would still recommend him....I did five IUIs without success. I decided to try IVF, Dr. Hansen recommended the agonist protocol. My research also suggested that would work best considering my age (40 at the time) and egg quality....We always had very frank discussions, and he treated me with respect....
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Know what you are getting into, do research, talk about treatment with other people who have gone through it. All of that will help when meeting with the doctor.
We always had very frank discussions, and he treated me with respect.
I did five IUIs without success. I decided to try IVF, Dr. Hansen recommended the agonist protocol. My research also suggested that would work best considering my age (40 at the time) and egg quality. I took Menopur and Bravelle at highest dosages. Dr. Hansen retrieved 10 eggs, two were fractured and not usable for IVF. He used ICSI to inseminate 8 eggs. Two high quality, 5 day embryos were transferred. One implanted. None of the other embryos were of good enough quality to freeze.
Excellent nursing staff! They were so kind to me. And also were very responsive to e-mails I sent regarding to my protocol when I was in the middle of things.
Costs were not covered by my insurance. I was billed for procedures.
Fargo
He [Dr. Hansen] was Nice, told jokes, made you feel comfortable. listened to what are concerns were. We never had a bad experience with him. Explained procedures, what was happening while he was doing the procedures. He gave us options after IVF failed...Carefully explained everything with us. didn't treat us like just another patient....Just basic Ivf procedures. Medications didnt get adjusted. My body was doing what it was suppose to.
He was Nice, told jokes, made you feel comfortable. listened to what are concerns were. We never had a bad experience with him. Explained procedures, what was happening while he was doing the procedures. He gave us options after IVF failed.
Just ask questions, they will answer them.
nursing staff was nice, easily accessible to answer our questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinics strengths were they were friendly, accessible, and easy to make appointments. Their Weaknesses would be calling you were put on hold or someone had to call you back. Receptionist were nice and friendly, after you've been their a few times they knew your name, talked extra with you, they kind of became like friends.
Normal cost,
2011 - 2015
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Great doctor. Never too busy to take the time to explain and answer questions. Highly recommend him. Has gotten me pregnant twice with dx of DOR-and with 2 morulas!
2011 - 2015
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Busy man so call asap for appointment and ask to be on cancellation list!