Medical SchoolMount Sinai
FellowshipCornell
11818 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
310-828-4008
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kelly Baek to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend California Fertility Partners to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Baek does not spend a ton of time with you and is usually in a rush during routine US visits. But if you are proactive and ask questions, she definitely takes the time to explain things to you.... I had full trust in her as a expert in her field. While I only had one normal embryo in two cycles (we opted for PGS testing), I still believe this is a better outcome than any other RE could have provided.... Dr. Baek counseled on supplements (CoQ10) and acupuncture (weekly) and Chinese herbs.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
I had a bad experience with my last RE, and never even started a cycle. Going to Dr. Baek (on the recommendation of my acupuncturist) was night and day. I had full trust in her as a expert in her field. While I only had one normal embryo in two cycles (we opted for PGS testing), I still believe this is a better outcome than any other RE could have provided. We are waiting to transfer the one viable, but I do fully believe that I have the best possible chance with Dr. Baek as my doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
If you are someone that needs a lot of hand-holding or are unable to advocate for yourself, she might not be the right fit. I am very happy with her, but my partner does not care for her. She is not for everyone, but she works for me!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
Describe the protocols Kelly Baek used in your cycles at California Fertility Partners and their degree of success.
Dr. Baek counseled on supplements (CoQ10) and acupuncture (weekly) and Chinese herbs. We went through 2 months of monitoring before starting and hormones. She monitored me very closely - at least once a week and was always the one conducting the US. She would constantly revise retrieval date based on the progress of my eggs during stimulation.
The nursing staff were extremely competent. I did get switched from one nurse to another without warning, but it all worked out. They took great care in explaining the schedule, making sure I understood the timing and meds and how to administer them. They responded promptly via email when I had questions.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
This clinic is very well managed. I never had to wait too long, was always able to get appointments when necessary. Financial department was efficient and clear. They have an online portal where all of your information is uploaded in real time and accessible to you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners.
Each cycle was about $20,000 including medications. Not cheap, but I did not find this to be vastly more than other RE in the area.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
She [Dr. Kelly Baek] does everything herself. Ultrasounds, visits, retrievals, everything...I appreciated being able to see her every time I came in...She is not warm and fuzzy as primary qualities...despite all my egg production I was never overstimulated with OHSS...she changed the protocol to include fewer meds and adjusted medication and timing each time with labs and ultrasounds. Each cycle was fitted to me- no cookie cutter protocol. She was ALWAYS adjusting.
4 IVF, 4 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
She does everything herself. Ultrasounds, visits, retrievals, everything. Everything there was to do, she did. It was never left to a tech or anyone else. I did have a procedure with Dr March but she was there and they worked well together. I appreciated being able to see her every time I came in. If I had questions afterwards I went through a nurse but that’s to be expected. But she was hands on through the entire 3 cycles of IVF we did with her.
First of all, IVF is HARD. It’s tempting to make your doctor God, and to expect to have your feelings soothed, and look for comfort when some cases there is none. We had vast amounts of eggs- and a minuscule fraction were genetically normal. We spent all our money and we’re running ragged by the drugs and the worry and the strain of it all. None of this is the doctor’s fault. She is doing her best to figure out he best course of action. She is not warm and fuzzy as primary qualities. And we tend to expect that (unfairly) from women. Hold it together and try to approach her scientifically while you get your emotional needs met elsewhere (sliding scale therapy is a godsend.) that way you can have sole emotion processing and be able to hear what the doctor says with a Little more objectivity and less emotion. Dr Baek is taking care of one part of the equation and make sure you take care of the other parts- the pain and suffering and grief.
Dr Kelly Baek met with us personally and went carefully over all our information. She is patient and calm and a brilliant diagnostitician. She is not, however, a therapist. We really needed to see a brilliant mind in order to figure out why I was miscarrying, and we’d knew that she didn’t have a reputation for being a hand holder so we prepared ourselves. However upon working with her I have discovered she has empathy, humor and cares very deeply about her patients... but is first and foremost a doctor and scientist, and I had to deal with facts and figures in her office, rather than emotions. It’s a rocky and emotional road, so you bet I was in a therapists office to deal with my feelings.
I produced scads of eggs- one time, 44. And only one in all my cycles was genetically normal. She could see from my first doctor that my eggs were post mature and that I was triggered too early. So she changed the protocol to include fewer meds and adjusted medication and timing each time with labs and ultrasounds. Each cycle was fitted to me- no cookie cutter protocol. She was ALWAYS adjusting. And despite all my egg production I was never overstimulated with OHSS. I thank her for that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
I can’t say enough good things. Nancy and the other nurses are wonderful.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
On time appointments. Great lab. Prompt and organized. I never felt like a number. They were efficient and friendly and yet I always could ask the nurse a question if I needed to. That I really appreciated! There’s a Lot of email and text communication which is as easy to read through the patient portal.
It was all out of pocket. She’s comparable to most clinics and i s surprised- I thought she’d be more expensive than others. I think with medication and all labs and procedures and everything, i rounded the number to figure about 25K per cycle. But that includes things like hysteroscopies and the endometrial function test so I may Jaheim paid more than someone who didn’t need those things. They are upfront about all costs and give you a sheet of paper with the rates.
Describe Kelly Baek's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at California Fertility Partners.
We only had one normal embryo to use and she implanted one which so far has been a successful pregnancy.
Los Angeles
She [Dr. Baek] gets super irritated if you ask questions - everything always feels rushed, and she looks annoyed if she has to pause as she's running out the door to answer a question. She is also super defensive. We asked her a question about our results during an ultrasound appointment, and she told us completely the wrong thing - when we brought the results back the next time and asked her about the discrepancy, she was really snappy, sarcastic and irritated with us
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
I felt like I was a car on a factory line - she didn't treat us like we were human beings experiencing an emotional, somewhat stressful experience. She's robotic, irritated if you ask questions, and generally just made us super stressed and nervous to raise any concerns or even ask about what was coming up next. I'm a medical doctor myself, and I cannot imagine treating my patients with such a complete lack of empathy. I believe that a lot of the success in fertility treatment relies on the emotional wellbeing of the patient, not just on how technically good the doctor is. This is where she falls so far short of what you would (and should) expect from a clinician. She can't seem to see her patients as whole people with feelings, just eggs, sperm and a uterus.
Please look for another doctor - there are so many good doctors in Los Angeles. It's not worth it.
Dr Baek doesn't seem to know how to treat her patients like humans. She gets super irritated if you ask questions - everything always feels rushed, and she looks annoyed if she has to pause as she's running out the door to answer a question. She is also super defensive. We asked her a question about our results during an ultrasound appointment, and she told us completely the wrong thing - when we brought the results back the next time and asked her about the discrepancy, she was really snappy, sarcastic and irritated with us, and said we shouldn't ask questions during ultrasound appointments because she doesn't have time during those appointments to answer questions. She never once asked how we were feeling about the process. Her questions are technical and robotic. She is focused on making money, not on caring for patients.
Dr Baek didn't really take the time to explain her treatment strategies or protocols. I truly don't really know what her treatment protocols are. We just arrived at the appointments, were seen hurriedly by Dr Baek, and then were shunted to the nurse who gave us a print-out with instructions for the next set of medicines for me to inject, and the date for our next appointment. It seemed like we were driving the process - IUI failed, so we asked if we could do IVF next and she agreed. We had to stop an IVF a few days into the cycle as my oocytes didn't synchronize, and she didn't suggest any alternative course of action after she told us. We sat there sad and disappointed, and then my husband then asked if we could convert to an IUI, and she said "yes, I supposed we could". I only found out a few days into that IVF cycle that she was planning to send our embryos for genetic testing, and she didn't bother to explain that would mean they would freeze and implant in a later cycle - I heard this from the nurse later almost in passing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners.
Impersonal, cold, it's a factory line getting as many people in and out as quickly as possible
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Well organized - you always get an appointment on the day you need one, and they have a good system for labs etc. However, the clinic is cold and impersonal. It's clearly a business, not a place where you go to get care.
I don't know - our insurance covered this, so I'm not sure of the cost.
All she said (as she was running out the door) is that she would usually transfer one, but said we could transfer two if we were happy with twins. She didn't go into any of the risks or benefits or trade-offs.
Los Angeles
Although Dr. Baek's office is quite busy, I felt that she was invested in our care and our outcome. She treated us as humans and was kind and supportive. Although we felt our visits were rushed at times, she was always attentive.... She does all of the ultrasounds herself compared to other clinics that have a nurse complete this procedure. She was dedicated to our treatment from beginning to end. She is extremely busy, so there were times when I felt rushed or felt that she was short with answers, but she ultimately answered all questions.
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
Dr. Baek is extremely sharp, thorough and diligent. She does all of the ultrasounds herself compared to other clinics that have a nurse complete this procedure. She was dedicated to our treatment from beginning to end. She is extremely busy, so there were times when I felt rushed or felt that she was short with answers, but she ultimately answered all questions. Initially, I thought she was not warm but as I got to know her better, I experienced warmth and kindness.
Trust her process as she knows what she is doing. If you feel rushed during your visit, the nurses are there to provided support and are happy to answer questions.
Medicated IUI -- failed. 1st round of IVF: Follistom, Menopur, ganirelix antagonist, HCG trigger -- resulted in 2 poor quality embryos along with a few eggs that were premature. Fresh transfer of 2 embryos - Negative. 2nd IVF: Augmented minimal med cycle. Later administration of Follistom, Menopur, ganirelix antagonist, HCG trigger + Lupron trigger. Resulted in 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, all 4 made it to day 5 blast. 3 PGD normal embryos. Result: Positive pregnancy test!
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Erin )
My nurse was communicative, thorough and supportive. She took a lot of time explaining medication protocols and would always follow up when contacted. When our nurse was out of the office, the clinic made sure to assign another nurse in her place in order to ensure continuity of care.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
Strengths: Beautiful office, updated technology, nurses are extremely knowledgable and helpful. Billing staff is organized. Easy to make appointments. Online portal is easily accessible. Communication is thorough. Weaknesses: Extremely busy office, felt rushed at times, worst / slow elevator in building.
Each round of IVF costs approx $10-$15k. Medications are additional $4k approx.
Los Angeles
Dr. Baek did make an effort to connect with me and my wife. She is very smart and knowledgeable, and was willing to explain what she was doing and thinking, which we appreciated...Dr. Baek was able to diagnose or at least explain a couple of small issues in a way that we hadn't understood from our previous doctor (who we also like and respect). She impressed us as being up to date on research and able to communicate clearly.
European, East Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
Dr. Baek was able to diagnose or at least explain a couple of small issues in a way that we hadn't understood from our previous doctor (who we also like and respect). She impressed us as being up to date on research and able to communicate clearly. She was warm enough for our taste, though I did refer a good friend who felt she was a bit abrupt in her communication style. While I could see this being an issue for some, we didn't feel it was an issue. We liked her straightforwardness and every once in a while her sense of humor came out.
Be ready with your questions, because sometimes she is in and out a bit quickly.
Dr. Baek did make an effort to connect with me and my wife. She is very smart and knowledgeable, and was willing to explain what she was doing and thinking, which we appreciated. I referred another friend to her, who felt her bedside manner was lacking, however we didn't feel that this was an issue for us.
Because we had already had two failed IVF attempts (at a different clinic) due to my body not responding properly to the fertility medications, we wanted an approach that would be less taxing financially and use fewer medications. Dr. Baek suggested natural cycle IUI. We attempted this twice and unfortunately neither of these worked. At this point, we decided that we should pause and regroup once we figured out whether or not adoption or egg donor IVF would be a better path for us to pursue. Dr. Baek supported this approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Anita Aloia)
The nursing staff was excellent overall. Occasionally it was hard to get through to them by phone. After getting transferred to the nursing staff, occasionally they wouldn't be able to pick up and I would have to call the front desk a second time and ask them to take a message and get it to them.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
The clinic is beautiful, clean and very pleasant. If I remember correctly, there is stone and water running which creates for a very peaceful environment. The only issue with this clinic is that it is more expensive overall than our other clinic. For this reason, we have decided to return to our other clinic as we pursue further treatment.
If I remember correctly, the initial appointment was over $400, which gave us a bit of a sticker shock. In general, I remember thinking at the time that the prices for everything from the IUI procedure to sperm storage were all at least about 20-25% higher than those of our previous clinic.
We didn't get that far so we don't have any feedback on this.
Los Angeles
She [Dr. Baek] is meticulous and methodical...I also love that Dr. Baek emphasizes the importance of accompanying treatments like Chinese herbs and acupuncture.
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
Kelly Baek is extremely talented and committed to finding the root of the issue. She is meticulous and methodical. I love that CFP in general is not an IVF factory. They are conservative and will do all tests needed before concluding the course of action. I also love that Dr. Baek emphasizes the importance of accompanying treatments like Chinese herbs and acupuncture. With Dr. Baek's help, I got pregnant on my first round of medicated IUI and am now 32 weeks pregnant with a baby girl, after three previous miscarriages (at least one with a genetically normal fetus).
She can be a bit awkward at times and not always super warm, but she is very committed. After talking to many other women in this area who have gone to other clinics, I'm convinced she's arguably the best RE in this area and probably one of the best in the country.
The clinic is awesome. I had different nurses that helped to treat me, but they never treated me like a number. Dr. Baek was available via email and very responsive.
They were warm and positive. When I was prepping for my IUI, one of the nurse's that explained instructions to me, said "when you are pregnant". This was significant to me because she used language that assumed that the IUI would be successful. This is a big contrast from medical professionals who are doom and gloom or focused on statistics or don't want to get your hopes up. It causes absolutely no harm to get someone's hopes up, in my opinion, but the opposite can actually be detrimental.
2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. Kelly Baek was like a detective when it came to figuring out what was going on with us. We'd miscarried more than 10 times before seeing her. I suspected immune issues and she agreed, along with a few other things that needed tweaking. I only had to do two IUIs with her to have success. The first IUI was actually a chemical pregnancy. Then, she adjusted and put me on an immune drug and the second one worked. She also got the most follicles to develop than ever had before.
2013
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
Dr. Baek is all business in that she knows her stuff. I've met several REs who are super nice but are not skilled. She's incredibly up-to-date on the latest research and she's technically a very skilled RE. She is also very kind and warm and a mom herself. She's an extremely busy person but she still made time to communicate with my acupuncturist about my diagnoses and treatment. I needed all hands on deck to become pregnant and stay pregnant and she got that 100%. After I graduated from her care, she would still answer my emails, etc.
Don't waste any time - go straight to her!
injectibles - higher doses dexamethasone (immune supressor) sythroid (slight hypo thyroid)
very compassionate. they are busy but they take the time to make sure they understand what the RE wants and that the patient understands the instructions.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
For me, the location was convenient. It was pretty efficient too. Most of the time I was seen within a few minutes of my appt time. The front desk crew were not very good when I first started going there in 2011, but over time the bad eggs got weeded out. The phone system left a lot to be desired- it was difficult to get someone on the phone if you had a question or concern or it was after hours.
IUI was around $1,200 (for all appts, etc) not including meds
2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Baek is very detailed oriented, the type of person who you affectionately refer to as OCD. That is what we wanted in a doctor! We had been told by a prior doctor to use donor eggs. Dr. Baek told us we owed it to ourselves to try at least one round with our own eggs!
2012
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
I was 42.5 yrs old. We had been told by a prior doctor to use donor eggs. Dr. Baek told us we owed it to ourselves to try at least one round with our own eggs! She said she would transfer up to 5 embryos. She checked, monitored and double checked my progress every step of the way and consulted her colleagues when questions about my care arose. She is an extremely experienced and detail oriented doctor.
Dr. Baek has a professional reserve. Sometimes I felt that she thought we understood more about the process than we did, even though we had been through it before with a prior doctor. I know many infertility patients are very educated about the process, their results and utilize online support communities. We didn't and as a result, I understood in a general sense what was happening, but I didn't have all the detailed data. Maybe that was for the best and it allowed me to not over stress about every little thing. I always felt like I should ask more questions but we didn't really know the right questions to ask. Dr. Baek asked at every visit if we had questions and when we said no, she didn't delve further.
Dr. Baek is very detailed oriented, the type of person who you affectionately refer to as OCD. That is what we wanted in a doctor! We had gone to a doctor prior to Dr. Baek who was a warm guy with great bedside manner, the type of guy you would want to vacation with, but he lacked attention to detail and we had dismal results. Dr. Baek can be reserved, but she is an amazing doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners.
They were warm and friendly, always nice, extremely competent.
Los Angeles
I think she [Dr. Kelly Baek] is smart, capable, but also has too many patients. The amount of time she takes with each is slim, we feel rushed to ask any questions and we don't feel many options are presented or explained, maybe they need the nurse to do some of this (i.e., mini IVFs vs full, ICSI vs not, PGS - what type are they doing, with what group... ). There's some information gaps that someone at the clinic could cover.
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
I think she is smart, capable, but also has too many patients. The amount of time she takes with each is slim, we feel rushed to ask any questions and we don't feel many options are presented or explained, maybe they need the nurse to do some of this (i.e., mini IVFs vs full, ICSI vs not, PGS - what type are they doing, with what group... ). There's some information gaps that someone at the clinic could cover.
Do your research on your own, have your questions ready for you two minute slot with her.
She doesn't take a lot of time with you or go into much explanation about various options. You need to do the research on your own and guide the process, unless you want to fully put your care in her hands without feeling much control of the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at California Fertility Partners. (Assigned nurse: Martha)
Most of the staff are really kind and helpful. They try and get you in and out quickly and are good at addressing concerns quickly. I generally feel that my questions however are rushed through or that we are annoying them, as they are asked the same questions over and over. But for us, this is High Stakes, a huge physical and financial investment, we need to take our time and understand everything we feel we need more information on.
Describe your experience with California Fertility Partners.
It seems like it's a good team. I like the space, the staff etc.
It's expensive!!
This wasn't discussed.
Los Angeles
She [Dr. Kelly Baek] doesn't talk down to you and is fairly conservative. She also tries to trouble shoot in advance so that there will be less chance of failure. She doesn't engage in long conversations unless you schedule a consultation with her, and then you will have to pay a consultation fee...Be ready for a lot of testing (which is good). She's not super warm, but she is very competent and knows what she is talking about. She is a bit inaccessible.
How was your experience with Kelly Baek at California Fertility Partners?
She doesn't talk down to you and is fairly conservative. She also tries to trouble shoot in advance so that there will be less chance of failure. She doesn't engage in long conversations unless you schedule a consultation with her, and then you will have to pay a consultation fee.
There are a large number of women going to that clinic. You speak mainly with the nurse and it's a bit hard to get a response right away
They seem to be readily available and can answer longer questions you may have.
She prefers single transfers if you are more petite so as to not encounter any complications.
2 IUI, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor
Kelly Baek is a skilled fertility specialist. She takes everything step by step and in my experience, has always been spot on in her advice, counsel and recommendations. Dr. Baek is constantly evaluating the treatment plan, making adjustments, and providing honest information regarding risks and outcomes.
European, Latino, Native American