Medical SchoolU of Missouri - KC
314-286-2400
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kenan Omurtag to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
YES! He is great at what he does and you can tell in his heart he wants to help you get pregnant!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
From the beginning, Dr. Omurtag was kind, easy to talk to and very thorough. His staff reflects this, they are just as incredible! He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that. Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
He gave me options, we could very aggressive and go straight to invitro or go a slower route. I decided to go an even slower route than what he offered which he was completely supportive of! Month 1 consisted of starting thyroid medicine and having my tubes flushed, then me and my husband trying spontaneously. If that did not work the next month I was going to start Clomid but we did not get to that point :) He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessie and Kathy)
Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done! I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There's not much to say about this. It's a clinic and I loved my doctor and his nurses! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
My us and tube cleaning was not covered by my insurance, it was 280 for the u/s and 720 for the tube cleaning.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Omurtag was very aware of how difficult this process was and was always willing to work with my husband and me to find a treatment plan that worked for us. He listened to our concerns and made us feel good about moving forward. He was also very helpful in explaining our treatment.... Dr. Omurtag is a very helpful and compassionate doctor. He helped us navigate through a very frustrating and disappointing time in our life, which ended up resulting in the birth of our son. He was very informative and straightforward, but also listened to our concerns and reservations. I can’t recommend Dr. Omurtag and his staff enough!!
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Trust the process and try to be patient. Also, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask questions.
First we tried a medicated cycle with injections and an IUI. I over responded to the injections and had to wait 2 months for my ovaries to go down. Didn’t get to the IUI that time. We tried again, this time with less dosage and an IUI, by resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After that, we were ready to move forward with IVF. I used injections for 4-5 days (Gonal F, Menopur, and Lupron). My egg retrieval resulted in 32 eggs, 19 were mature, and we decided, as a personal decision to only fertilize 10. We did a fresh transfer with one of our day 5 embryos and ended up freezing the remaining four embryos we had for future use.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Cathy was always very helpful and informative. She did the one IUI I had with Wash U. She was great about answering all of my questions.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Very organized, friendly, and helpful. Great and making sure you are informed and always willing to answer your questions. I never had to wait too long for appointments either. It was very easy to get ahold of my nurse or doctor.
Insurance covered our IVF treatment so I’m not sure. Medications cost us $3,000 out of pocket, and we had to put $600 (if I remember correctly) down to be financially clear.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr Omertag kept us informed with each visit, communicated each step of the process clearly. We never wondered what to expect next. Showed regret when there were setbacks in our plan. His compassion for his clients is above anything than I expected. I felt very comfortable being Dr. Omertag's patient. I'm hoping in a few months to start the same process over again with him and his staff.
IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Listen to him, and his staff. They won't give you false hope, they won't tell you what you want to hear, they will tell you what the facts are and what they can do to help you achieve your dreams of becoming pregnant. They will be with every step.
He, and his staff, listened to concerns my husband and I had throughout the process, answered questions regardless of how trivial they may have been. He gave us the statistics necessary for my husband and me to make an informed decision for egg donor, the process involved in using egg donor. Showed compassion when there were hiccups along the way that delayed the egg transfer. Gave us the good and bad news without sugar coating anything. He and his staff were "real" not in this particular profession just for the money, true caregivers who take the oath "to do no harm" while making certain not to give false hope, seriously.
My process was quite lengthy. I started complete workup which led to cysts (?) that needed to be removed, which delayed the process. There were many hiccups along our way. About 1.5 year later I started on hormone injections (subq) for a few months, followed my intramuscular injections every day for several more months along with hormone pills and hormone patch. After approximately 4 months of this I was ready for the egg donor transfer....after about 1 month, a blood test was done to confirm a positive pregnancy. I stayed with Dr Omertag an his staff for 3 months, after which, sadly, I was told I "graduate" to an OBGYN. very sad day for me to leave him and his staff!
All I had to do was say "this is Tricia, patient of Dr Omertag" and no matter whom I spoke with, they seemed to know me, asked questions about home life, and school (I was in nursing school and studying for state boards throughout the process). All questions and concerns I had were answered, and voice messages I had left were returned in a timely manner. Again, the entire staff had genuine interest in me and I can only assume they are this way with all of their clients.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
From the moment I walked in to the reception area to staff in the lab, to the techs, nurses etc, I always felt I was treated like a person, not a number, not another paycheck. Everyone, EVERYONE, is a true professional who takes an interest in the person who is seeking help in becoming pregnant.
If I remember correctly the cost for labs and ultrasound were done on a monthly basis. Because this is a specialized facility, I'm sure the cost was a bit more and our insurance did not cover much (if any) part of the process. However, my husband and I were more than willing to pay the fee for the service we received from Omertag and his staff. The egg donor (and transfer) was a separate fee from the lab cost but again knowing we were in the best of care we were willing to pay the cost, and the end result was worth every penny spent....so much so, we have talked with Dr Omertag and his staff about starting the process again!
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Of the 5 eggs we had, only 3 were "viable", 2 of which were transferred. I was hoping for a transfer of 3 or 4, but this would have been too high of a risk for me and potential baby so only 2 were transferred, and with those 2, we have a healthy baby boy!
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Omurtag] was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.... He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.
Ask questions. and be aware that he may not be the doctor to do your procedures, that’s important to know, but all the doctors in the practice are great.
He took the time during each appointment to explain the process and answer questions. He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
We did IVF. I started meds to “quiet” my ovaries which worked great. Then we started Stims at low doses and increased. I was not responding well enough at first and we talked about canceling the cycle and starting over with another protocol. I was able to come in an extra time for monitoring and finally started responding. Dr. Omurtag called me himself to talk about it since he knew they “scared” me with talk of canceling. Once we were where we needed to be we did egg retrieval and got 8 eggs, which was exactly what I expected per the last monitoring appointment we had. We ended up with 6 embryos. We went in for a day 5 fresh transfer and found out we had two picture perfect embryos but the others did not meet the criteria to freeze. We transferred one embryo and froze the other. Our fresh transfer did not work. We waited one cycle and jumped in to our frozen cycle. The one frozen embryo we had stuck like a champ and our IVF miracle baby was born January 2018. We are very happy with our results. :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
Kathy and Jessie both were always available, they would call back within a reasonable amount of time (same day, usually a few hours), answered questions, talked with you, treated you professionally but as a human.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The ladies at the front desk during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.
Fresh transfer was in the $11,000’s. I cannot remember the exact number right now. Medication was anywhere between $3-5k.
We had two “perfect” embryos. I wanted to transfer both but the doctor suggested only doing one. She said they don’t offer only doing one to everyone but that I was young, healthy and the embryo was “perfect.” I cried but agreed to only transfer one. I know it doesn’t always go how we want it to but I am glad I only did the one. I still had one frozen after the fresh transfer didn’t work. I would have been very upset and frustrated if we had walked away with nothing.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Omurtag] even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor...We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Extremely patient, Kind and compassionate. He even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor.
Know that the techs and nurses might not have the best bedside manner or be super kind to you-BUT Dr. Omurtag is the one in charge of your treatment and each step along the way.
Most Importantly-When with Omertag I always felt like a human and was treated with kindness and respect. He always takes the time to explain any question and never rushes you. The Nurses and Tech are not so much. The bedside manner while receiving a vaginal ultrasound was kind of horrible. I was told I had many fibroids but was given no explanation of what type or what this meant for me. When I asked her for just a bit of explanation or if I could speak with a nurse I was shown the door. Like she actually said" the exit it right down the hall. So I left the office very confused and has to wait 24 hours for any explanation as to what this meant for me and my partners treatment.
After 3 failed IUI at another clinic-We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her. With that said she is always prompt on calling us back gets the job done. If this was not such a painful, hard and expensive time in our lives we would be ok with this- but it's such a sensitive time that even a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omertang and his fellow Fertiltiy Doctors are the best in Saint Louis. We have many friends that have used them with success. My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy. The being said they get the job done and this is the only clinic we want to be at for our upcoming egg retrieval and transfer.
At this point, we have spent around $4,500.00. For three IUI's, medication, ultrasounds, medication, (2) meetings with Omertag and Sperm.
IUI, 1 IVF
Dr Omurtag is a compassionate, trustworthy doctor. I now consider him a friend. He has been there for my fiancé and I through this tough experience and has not let us feel as though we are "alone on an island" once, just like he promised in the beginning! We ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to have two doses of methotrexate, this all occurred over the holidays. You could feel the compassion when in his office and see the pain he had for us in his eyes. I could likely go elsewhere for less money but he is worth every extra penny, even if we didn't get to our end result just yet!
IUI, 1 IVF
Go to your first meeting with your questions and with your past experiences and information! He will help guide you the rest of the way!
Dr Omurtag and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel special and most importantly, comfortable! Multiple times he has gone out of his way to ease my husbands and I's minds whether it was a check in call, researching to find an answer to our question or simply a hug!
Our first round was a long agonist with gonal-f protocol. The lupron that was used gave me terrible headaches and some stiffness in my neck but overall I did great with the protocol. We ended up transferring two healthy embryos and we had an ectopic pregnancy. We just now started an antagonist with OCPs protocol for round 2. He chose this so he can be more aggressive with the stimulation and therefore have more embryos hopefully to choose from in the end.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The lab techs are fabulous at drawing and always super friendly. The ultrasound techs are equally as good! Always happy and they explain every little moment to you so there are no surprises!
It was close to $18,00 including meds. Our insurance didn't cover a penny so we were out of pocket patients.
The doctors in this practice choose based on the embryos and their development. Their goal is for you to have one healthy and happy baby...they come with their reasoning on how many they feel you should transfer and together you make a decision.
None, Other
Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient...We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.... He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful.
None, Other
Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient. We left our consultation with him feeling like our questions were answered. He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful. We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.
I would have no reservations referring someone to Dr. Omurtag. He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff. Dr. Omertag is very kind and personal, but we only saw him for consultations.
I did 3 IUIs, two with Clomid and one natural. I did day 12 ultrasounds to monitor follicles for the second and third cycles. For one cycle it was determined that the clomid diminished my lining so I was given estradoil and a trigger shot. IUI's were typically done the day after the positive LH surge. They were done by the nurse.
The nursing staff is competant and efficient. However, I cannot say that they show much compassion or attempt to get to know you personally. This is probably due to the volume of patients they see.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The obvious strength of WashU is that they have the highest success rates in the area. The doctors are experts at one of the most highly ranked medical centers in the country. Dr. Omrutag is very personable and patient as well. The weakness is that the staff is not very personal.
IUIs were $385, and ultrasounds were $345. IVF is going to be approximately $11,500 (before meds).
We are just beginning the IVF process, but during our IVF consultation he informed us that they recommend transfering only one embryo.
St. Louis CWE
Dr.Omurtag seems like a nice guy, but at the core of it he really does not care if you get pregnant or not. When we first saw this doctor we were essentially told that we had a greater than 60% chance of success for one cycle of IVF and that most likely since it was male Factor infertility we were battling one cycle would be all it would take. Our first cycle of IVF they retrieved 13 eggs, only 4 were mature, and only one embryo was created. Dr. Omurtag brushed this off as a fluke and we tried again. Washington University only has certain set protocols in place, they do not customize a protocol for the way your body reacts. If you don't fit perfectly into the box then you are not going to have success at this Clinic. Additionally, the doctor making decisions about your care is going to be whatever doctor happens to be on call for IVF that week and they may not know your case or your history at all.
Don't.
This doctor made flippant remarks about how it's all a numbers game and we only need one embryo implying that there's no use trying for more than one
My first cycle of IVF was a long Agonist protocol. We did Lupron for 10 days I think, followed by stimulation with follistim and menopur. I triggered with HCG for my retrieval. My second cycle of IVF was different, I did not use Lupron at all instead they had me simulate with follistim and menopur and ganirelix was used towards the end with an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University Physicians Department of reproductive endocrinology has a very impersonal approach to IVF. You are unlikely to go through the cycle with your chosen doctor, they will not customize a protocol or attempt to think outside the box to fix your protocol if your body is not reacting like it's supposed to. If your body doesn't react like a normal person's body, you will not get pregnant with this Clinic.
My PPO insurance does cover infertility. The Physician and anesthesiologist fees are prepaid before they will schedule your cycle and it was $600 even. They have a surgical room attached to their office and it bills you as a free-standing Surgical Center for Missouri Baptist and my 20% coinsurance was over $2,800 for one cycle
IUI, IVF
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand...His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease...At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
IUI, IVF
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand. As an example, I felt uncomfortable with an SHG and trial transfer that we allowed a Fellow perform under his guidance, and Dr. Omurtag distracted me with talking about everyday things, like baseball, which I enjoy.
The advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Omurtag would be to speak up and ask questions - even if you feel it's a dumb question - there are NO dumb questions to him! He's very knowledgeable, so use that to help you make an informed decision about your fertility journey.
Dr. Omurtag is a very sincere and respectful physician. His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Dr. Omurtag put me on the Long GnRH Agonist regimen. It went over 2 menstrual cycles, utilizing birth control pills beginning on CD4 (preventing pregnancy) until all active pills were taken. On CD 21, I started 20 units of Lupron ( to block ovulation) for 21 days. I started my period around this time, beginning the second cycle of the long regimen. I had an ultrasound and estradiol check to confirm suppression. Then in cycle 2, I used varying doses of Gonal F and Menopur (to stimulate my ovaries to make follicles.) Gonal F started on CD6 at 225iu, then decreased to 150iu on CD9 until last dose on CD15. I started 75iu of Menopur on CD9 through CD12. One day of 150iu of Menopur on CD13, then 75iu CD14 through CD15. I stopped all meds on CD16 for my retrieval on CD18. At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
The nursing staff for Dr. Omurtag were excellent! I don't feel like I was rushed through or felt that I was just another number. They were very friendly and supportive through the whole process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!
My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000. I also sought out rebates, coupons, etc, to help off-set those medicine costs.
Dr Omurtag seemed okay with my decision to transfer 2 embryos, informing me of the risks/benefits and not trying to persuade me either way. He was quite supportive. However, on the day of the transfer, another doctor (Dr. Randal Odem) performed it because he was being on call that week. He double checked with me and my decision to do two, informing me one last time of benefits/risks of transferring two, but I backed out and only had them transfer one embryo. I went on to have a successful singleton pregnancy and live birth of this fresh cycle.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag0 is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan... Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan.
Trust him.
He was always honest and direct, but would not use medical terms that a normal person would not know. His explanations were always very clear. He is very professional, but always made us feel like he cared.
Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo. We did full ICSI. We did not conceive. On our second round, we did a Luteal Estradiol Antagonist protocol, eliminating birth control and Lupron completely. We eliminated supressants because I didn't respond well to the first cycle. I took ovulation tests until I ovulated, then a week later, I started estrogen for 5 days to prime my ovaries. At the start of my period, took 150IU of Menopur, and 225IU Gonal F for seven days. Then added in 250IU of Cetrotide for an additional three days. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 were mature, and 2 fertilized into embryos with full ICSI again. We conceived and are currently pregnant.
Kathy was brand new during my second cycle, so I had to really stay on her if I needed something done. I attribute this to growing pains in a new organization. She was always friendly. The nursing staff is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They have many strengths in professionalism, knowledge, communication, and compassion. I cannot think of any weaknesses that I experienced. I highly recommend this clinic to everyone.
We were fortunate enough to have 2 rounds mostly covered by insurance. We just had to pay for the more expensive of the medications. A round including medications does cost about $20,000 usually.
I believe his approach was correct with our results.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health...He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging...
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We really enjoyed working with Dr. Omurtag. After evaluating our histories and testing, he was very confident that we would be successful, either via IUI or IVF. We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health. At this meeting, he went over our initial plan to obtain a diagnosis, including all of the testing he was ordering and when/where these procedures would be performed. Once this testing was completed, we met with him again to discuss our treatment course, which turned out to be IUI. We underwent four unsuccessful IUI cycles and then reconvened with Dr. Omurtag, who recommended proceeding with IVF. Because this was such a costly step, we asked to continue the IUI for two more cycles while we saved up the money for IVF, and he agreed. These cycles were also unsuccessful, so we met with Dr. Omurtag once again after our IVF financing was in place. At this meeting, he explained the IVF process and all of the procedures associated with it. At this practice, all IVF cases for the month are handled by a single physician on a rotating basis. This is the reason that Dr. Omurtag did not handle all of our procedures himself. However, we had a good experience with the other two physicians in the practice with whom we worked. Once we received a positive pregnancy blood work up after the fresh IVF cycle, we met with Dr. Omurtag again after our first ultrasound at 7 weeks. The baby was slightly undersized, but not alarmingly so, and Dr. Omurtag asked us to return in a week to check on the fetal growth. At that point, he felt comfortable turning us over to our OB for the remainder of the pregnancy, but encouraged us to call at any time if we had concerns, especially during the time before our first OB appointment. When I miscarried at nearly 11 weeks, Dr. Omurtag happened to be at the hospital and stopped to see us after we got the bad news. He was very compassionate, but also made sure to express his confidence that our treatment plan was good and would result in a viable pregnancy. This was very reassuring to hear on what was the worst day of our lives. When we were ready, we scheduled another meeting to discuss conducting a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag also performed a saline sonohysterogram to make sure that there were no issues that had not been visible on my HSG or other ultrasounds. He explained the differences between the fresh and frozen cycles and we proceeded (again, a different doctor performed the embryo transfer, but he was great as well). We were once again successful and transferred to the care of our OB at 8 weeks. This second pregnancy resulted in our son, born in August 2016. During all of our appointments, Dr. Omurtag was very comprehensive and understandable in all of his explanations. We were encouraged to ask questions and interrupt him for further explanation. He made us feel very comfortable and definitely made an effort to get to know us as people. He still remembers details about us and our family, even after going 8 months without seeing us. He asked us to keep the practice posted on the outcome of the pregnancy and suggested we visit after our son was born in August 2016. Before that visit, we found out that our son is a carrier for a fatal genetic condition, and Dr. Omurtag was able to give us the basics on how we would proceed if we decide to have a third child.
Trust in the process. It might seem like you are going to endless appointments, tests, scans and blood draws, but they are all necessary. Remind yourself that reproduction is incredibly inefficient and accept that you may never know the exact reason for your infertility without going through multiple cycles of medication, IUI and/or IVF. There are so many factors that it may be very difficult for the docs to pinpoint the exact cause, especially in cases of secondary infertility like ours. It was a two year process, but Dr. Omurtag was a great guide and we ended up with a child, which was the goal of the exercise.
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us and ask about our older son. He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging.
See my response from the experience question. We came to Dr. Omurtag with secondary infertility after 6 months of ovulation testing and two cycles of Clomid performed by my OB. Treatment began with an HSG and ultrasounds and bloodwork for me and a semen analysis for my husband. I was diagnosed PCO due to a slightly elevated testosterone level and high ovarian reserve. However, I don't experience any other symptoms and all other testing was normal. Because my cycles were regular and I was ovulating, and because we had successfully conceived and carried to term on our own in the past, we decided to start with IUI. Dr. Omurtag recommended four cycles, because success rates drop off sharply after four IUIs. We ended up doing six cycles, but the last two were done to increase our slim chances of conceiving while we saved up the funds and waited for IVF availability (they only accept a certain number of IVF patients each month). I was prescribed Lupron to aid in the IUI cycles. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact procedures and tests involved with each cycle, other than coming in for a mid-cycle ultrasound to check on follicle ripeness. When the scan was favorable, we scheduled a morning appointment for the IUI. My husband arrived early to provide a semen sample, which was analyzed and prepared and then transferred via a catheter by one of the nurses about an hour later. When IUI proved unsuccessful, we turned to IVF. Dr. Omurtag determined that Long GnRH agonist protocol was the best fit for us. We were required to secure financing and attend a very helpful IVF orientation before proceeding. After completing the drug regimen (which included OCP, Leuprolide, FSH, and hCG trigger), we harvested 23 eggs, 19 of which were viable. Because my husband's sperm count had varied during the IUI cycles, Dr. Omurtag decided to fertilize 10 of the eggs conventionally and 9 of them with ICSI. Only one of the eggs fertilized conventionally, but all 9 of the ICSI were successful. After 3 days of growth, we had several promising embryos, so Dr. Omurtag settled on a day 5 transfer. At that point, there were three exceptionally good transfer candidates. The decision of how many (1 or 2) to transfer was left to us. We chose 2 and one of those successfully implanted. After our miscarriage, we did a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag performed a saline sonohysterogram to ensure that there were no underlying physical issues with carrying a pregnancy that we might have missed previously (and to ensure that the products of the miscarriage had all been expelled). I'm unable to locate all of my paperwork from this cycle for some reason, but I know that the drug regimen was much less intense and there were fewer injectables. The frozen embryo transfer was again successful and this time I carried to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith Woody)
Meredith is great. She's very bubbly and upbeat. As Dr. Omurtag's nurse, she performs IUIs and is also the primary point of contact for his IVF patients. You can contact her through Dr. Omurtag's secretary and she will always get back to your quickly.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. With the exception of Drs. Omurtag and Odom, all of the staff are female. Prospective patients should know that this is a very large practice with many patients; you may need to be proactive if you're the kind of person who wants to meet directly with your physician regularly. My husband and I felt very comfortable with the staff and our nurse, who was very organized and provided us with lots of detailed written and verbal instructions for our procedures, so not seeing Dr. Omurtag regularly didn't bother us. As stated elsewhere in this review, be aware that the practice doctors take turns handling IVF cases on a monthly basis, so your doctor may not perform your egg retrieval and/or embryo transfer. Your nurse remains the same throughout. Please know that although all of these procedures and protocols seem very intimidating at first, you will receive all the information you need to successfully complete your treatment. The IVF orientation is great, your nurse is available to answer any questions, and detailed information packets are provided every step of the way. If you are doing IUI, be aware that you may need to wait awhile, due to the size of the practice and the unpredictability of patients' cycles. If you do IVF, you may need to wait a cycle or two to get on the schedule. As a working mom, I appreciated that most of the office visits could be done in the morning.
I believe each IUI cycle cost around $600. We financed the IVF cycles through ARC, where we paid $15,000 to cover a fresh and a frozen cycle. Medications were an additional expenses, but a relatively low cost with my insurance. All diagnostic testing was covered under our insurance.
St. Louis CWE
Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy...
As the husband, I was the cause of the infertility. Never once did I feel judged, or any less of a person because of my medical issue. Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy.
Come to each appointment with an open mind. We made a decision that, at the time, felt very difficult (using a donor sperm). Looking back, all of the anxieties were for nothing because at the end of the day, we were blessed with the birth of our beautiful child. Dr Omurtag will take care of you, so rest in that comfort.
Dr Omurtag was very kind and patient in discussing our options. He never rushed us out of the office, and took all of our considerations into account. He made sure to follow up with us, both before and after the birth of our child.
In a nutshell, we decided that the only option was to use a donor sperm. We purchased 5 vials (just to have more than enough) and began IUI. Dr. Omurtag wanted to try one cycle of IUI without Clomid. This first cycle and treatment did not result in a pregnancy. For the second cycle, Dr. O started my wife on Clomid and after the second treatment (IUI), we found out we were pregnant.
My wife met most of the nursing staff during her IUI treatments. She never once complained and was always talking about how friendly everyone was. One specific nurse (who's name I am unsure) even took the time to show compassion for what my wife was dealing with and revealed her own personal experience.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone in this clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change.
These are not exact, but the cost estimates were: IUI Treatment - Approximately 300 USD Donor Sperm - Approximately 4000 USD (5 Vials) Clomid - Unsure, but not expensive Sperm Analysis - Approximately 150 USD Test to Check Fallopian Tubes - 3000 USD (not covered with insurance)
St. Louis CWE
Dr. Omurtag treated us with kindness and compassion from our very first meeting. He decisively laid out details, treatment options and plans always making it known that ultimately the decision was always ours. He never pressured us into making a decision. We never felt rushed during our appointments. Dr. O would stay as long as needed to answer all of our questions. He also called us several times in the evening and on weekends when I had additional questions or concerns about treatments or upcoming procedures. He was truly there to support us through every part of our IVF journey...
As described in my previous response, Dr. Omurtag always made us feel comfortable and never treated us like a number. My husband and I always felt like his descriptions and explanation of treatment options and procedures were easy to understand. It was always obvious that he knew what he was talking about and always had the data and statistics to back it up. His intelligence and success were made even more wonderful when accompanied by his amazing bedside manner. He always greeted us with a smile and an upbeat, optimistic personality. I know he puts in countless hours at the office working with couples just like us, but we never once felt rushed and he never let his exhaustion show (if it even existed at all). He followed up with us and was by our sides every step of the way. After my successful IVF cycle, I brought my son back three months after he was born because Dr. O wanted to meet him and because I missed seeing him! That is the kind of wonderful connection that he creates with his patients. He is a truly special doctor and person and we look forward to seeing him again when it is time to expand our family once more!
Do not be afraid to ask any and all questions/voice any concerns that you have with him at any time. He patiently listens and answers them all. He NEVER made us feel like a question or concern was dumb or invalid.
I went through four cycles of IUI with chlomid. None resulted in a pregnancy. We then went on to IVF. I was on oral contraceptive birth control for a month, then began the injections to prepare for my egg harvest. After my egg harvest, I had one 'day 5' embryo transferred which resulted in a pregnancy and my beautiful son. For 8 weeks following the transfer, I continued injections of progesterone to ensure proper uterine wall lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith)
The entire nursing staff always promptly returned my calls, answered my questions and took wonderful care of me during visits. They are fantastic.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints.
We were very fortunate that my insurance covered our medical costs. I had only to pay my 1,200 out of pocked max.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I really appreciated that Dr. Omurtag was willing to take my husband and I's concerns/opinions into account. He performed a scratch test, which at the time, had only been researched on women who had failed IVF cycles. Knowing the benefits of the scratch test I was adamant that I wanted it done. Dr. Omurtag explained the risks and research but respected our feelings. He was always positive but sure to explain the realistic side of things. He took the time to meet with my husband and I multiple times after our initial doctor left the practice without warning.
To not be afraid to explain your opinions or feelings on the procedure. It is ultimately your body and baby and he is very cognizant of that and won't make you feel intimated about asking questions.
Dr. Omurtag spoke to my husband and I as an individual couple and not as a statistic or in general terms. He sent messages to check on us even after our daughter was born and thanked us for the birth announcements/christmas card we sent.
All of the procedures, aside from the scratch test, were used specifically for someone with my diagnoses and age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Andrea was very caring, understanding and patient. With how many hormonal women she deals with on a daily basis she never let any of my frustrations or emotions frustrate her. I felt comfortable speaking with her about concerns I had and asking questions.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I was not a fan of a few of the receptionists. I think one might have been a student, she was our first contact and unfortunately did not know what she was doing. We had a moment of panic when she couldn't find us on the schedule and she always acted somewhat inconvenienced. However, their regular front office lady was always so sweet and warm to us! We unfortunately were with WASHU when Dr. Cooper left the practice without notice. We were one of her patients and that was very scary for us. We weren't notified and I found out when I came in for blood work which was not ideal. Thankfully between Andrea contacting us and meeting with Dr. Omurtag things turned around and we are glad we continued our care with them.
I dont remember, somewhere in the range of $15,000 with medication
WASHU's goal is one healthy singleton but there are considerations when making the decision on how many embryos to transfer. In our situation we had one that wasn't a great quality and the embryologist did not think would make to freeze but had a slight chance with transfer.
St. Louis CWE
[Dr. Kenan Omurtag] is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children.
Kenan is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
He treated us like a person and was very compassionate and real with process
First, I had an ultrasound to look at my uterus. I just had an hsg so we looked at the xrays. I had a saline ultrasound to determine how they would get to where they needed to implant. I also had an outpatient surgery to open up my cervix I believe I was on the long agonist protocol. I had to take birth control for 1 month before I began the meds. Everything worked out good and I had day 5 embryos with 38 eggs retrieved. I had 13 embryos frozen and 1 embryo implanted. It took and we have a healthy baby boy.
They took the time to answer all my questions and were very compassionate towards me.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
One of the secretaries wasn't very nice when answering questions or over billing issues. It was not the one with brown curly hair, she remembered us and was very nice.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
First come first serve. We arrived the time the doors open and usually only had to wait briefly.
He worked very well with Blue Cross out of Illinois. Out of the total of around 30k billed for everything including drug cost we were only responsible for around 2500 bucks plus 700 a year for embryo storage for our frozen embryos.
St. Louis Mo Bapt
He [Dr. Omurtag] was the 2nd doctor that we saw for our issues. we had done other treatments that didn't work. Dr Omurtag really took the time to sit with us and answer questions and go over all of our issues which didn't happen with the other Dr. I felt and still do that Dr Omurtag really helped make this horrible journey enjoyable and I really felt like he was right along with us every step of the way. Checking in on us, answer all of our questions along the way.
European, Other
He was the 2nd doctor that we saw for our issues. we had done other treatments that didn't work. Dr Omurtag really took the time to sit with us and answer questions and go over all of our issues which didn't happen with the other Dr. I felt and still do that Dr Omurtag really helped make this horrible journey enjoyable and I really felt like he was right along with us every step of the way. Checking in on us, answer all of our questions along the way.
He really cares about his patients and puts you at ease for such a stressful process of trying to conceive
He really took the time to talk with us (husband) and go over our options, what the chances were. He was amazing in taking time to e-mail and call us to check in and see how we were doing, if we had any questions or needed anything. I really felt like he was part of our team
he went over our options and then after doing the testing told us what would be the most successful option for us. I cant recall which treatment it was for IVF but he did let us know that IUIs were not a good option for us and so we didn't consider that again
The ladies who did my ultrasounds and blood work were great, I actually miss seeing them since I was there a few times a week. They made me feel comfortable even when you are stressed out with everything going on, I feel like they were all very positive which is what you need
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I thought it was easy to get in and out of, clean, professional and had top of the line equipment
I never added the total up since we were successful, I don't care the cost since we have a baby now
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Omurtag made sure to check with me each step and made sure I was comfortable with everything that was going on and how we were going to handle everything. They helped me have my baby boy and I cannot thank them enough for everything they have done for me...He spoke to me in a caring manner and made sure that I understood everything that was happening. He made me feel like a person each step of the way and made sure that I was comfortable. He always knew me by name and my spouse. He took the time to ask how I was, my family and my older child...
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Omurtag was beyond wonderful. I would recommend him and the drs at Wash U to anyone that is going to be going through ivf treatment. I had a dr prior to him that was awful and did not take my feelings into any consideration. The drs at Wash U and Dr Omurtag made sure to check with me each step and made sure I was comfortable with everything that was going on and how we were going to handle everything. They helped me have my baby boy and I cannot thank them enough for everything they have done for me.
If you have any questions be honest with him and he will be honest with you. He was very good at going over things we didn't understand and making sure that i knew what was happening each step of the way.
When i went to see Dr Omurtag I knew I wanted to do ivf and did not want to do any other treatment. He was very open to that and let me make that choice. He used injectable drugs.
The nursing staff was very caring and sweet during all the processes. They went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable with everything that was happening.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic overall was very caring and very compassionate. They took care of their patients and made sure I was comfortable with everything and how everything was explained.
I do not remember all the costs as the ivf was covered by my insurance. So i only had to pay my ded/opx.
St. Louis CWE
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] wanted to start us with IUI because we had one miscarriage prior to meeting with him. It was possible for us to get pregnant but had been challenging. IUI was the more affordable option and we had a good chance of success. He stated to do 3 rounds and if one did not work we would meet again and decide the next steps. Most likely IVF.
Kenan explained everything in detail and was interested everything we had done before meeting with him. He got to know my husband and I in detail and gave us a reassuring feeling when we left his office.
He is on it and will want to be aggressive with treatment. I think this is a good thing!
When I enter the clinic I feel like the staff know who I am and where I’m at in my journey.
He wanted to start us with IUI because we had one miscarriage prior to meeting with him. It was possible for us to get pregnant but had been challenging. IUI was the more affordable option and we had a good chance of success. He stated to do 3 rounds and if one did not work we would meet again and decide the next steps. Most likely IVF.
Kathy is super friendly and informative. She communicated information to Dr. Omurtag quickly and always got back to us in a timely manner. She performed all three of our IUIs.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I have nothing bad to say. Good communication, friendly receptionists, nice waiting area and multiple doctors available at all times to assist with procedures. Everything was explained in detail when we were there and the billing department always let you know when a procedure was or wasn’t covered by insurance.
First visit was covered with copay and we never were charged for all of our blood work, so insurance covered that. Our IUI’s were $383 each time and the ovidrel shot was $107
St. Louis CWE
Dr Omurtag and his staff were amazing throughout the whole process. Calling them compassionate does not do them justice. We lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks due to Turner syndrome and Dr Omurtag and his staff were so supportive. We would not be pregnant right now if it weren’t for them. I could not give them a higher recommendation....I trust him implicitly and I would recommend him to my closest loved ones. He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals.
Like I said previously in the survey I have never Experienced a more compassionate and professional medical team. Each time we came in for a regular appointment for procedure we were treated with kindness compassion and dignity. Having lost our first transferred embryo at 15 weeks we were absolutely devastated. That being said, Dr. Omurtag and his staff showed more compassion than I can possibly explain. He got us back in the saddle and now we are pregnant with what will be hopefully our second daughter or first son. I trust him implicitly and I would recommend him to my closest loved ones. He and his team are the epitome of what it means to be a truly great team of medical professionals.
Do not waste your time worrying about whether or not Dr. Omurtag and his team are right for you because I will tell you that you will not and cannot find any better in their field. They are amazing!
St. Louis CWE
I live in Illinois...Dr. Omurtag and his staff welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available...Dr. Omurtag was very caring. I dont have a single complaint. He put together a program and walked me through everything from day one. He had a positive attitude and was very clear on the goal. My experience was amazing and I would go back to him if I ever needed to have another treatment. If he wasnt able to follow uo with me he had a one of a kind staff that was kind made sure all your needs were met.
I live in Illinois and there is 1 fertility doctor in my area that has a horrible rep. Dr. Omurtag and his staff welcomed me with open arms, worked with me to schedule tests close to home, and anything I needed they were available. I would travel the 2hrs regulary if I had too just to get the care that I got from his office.
Dr Omurtag set a plan for me in May 2017. We had a few tests done and was but on fertility medication in June. July 2017 i had my first IUI and found out that I was pregnant 2wks later. He saw me at wk 7 and stated that he would release back to my illinois doctor but if i ever needed anything to let him know.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy and Jessie)
Kathy and Jessie were on top of all my needs. They would call and check up on me, were prompt with calling me with my results. Jessie was on top of all my lab work that was done in illinois so i didnt have to travel to st louis for my labs. They were so kind and amazing.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Omurtag was referred to me by my gynecologist. Her exact words were "every time I send him a patient they come back to me pregnant within the year." So I went to him believing he would be able to help and I trusted his advice. I often would research things on my own and come to him with recommendations and he helped me to understand my unique situation and demonstrated that he was making decisions based off of my medical information and not just going through the motions.
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Always do your research so that you will know what questions to ask along the way. This way you will be more confident and accepting of the results even if it does not end with a baby. Consider skipping the fresh transfer and starting with a frozen cycle. Ask Dr. Omurtag if that would make sense for your situation.
Every time I met with Dr. Omurtag we talked about my specific concerns and he addressed my concerns with my medical results rather than just giving me generalized information or data from research articles.
I can't remember everything I just know that it was customized for my situation. I researched various protocols and realized it is not a one size fits all.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They were very flexible and reserved specific times a day for quick visits or blood work to ensure that they were able to provide flexibility.
It was under $25K for 1 Fresh transfer cycle and medications, 1 Frozen embryo cycle and medications.
4 IUI, 3 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Omurtag] spent over an hour going over my fertility history, really paying attention to what has worked in the past and even more what hasn't. He's extremely thorough and detailed. Explaining plans/treatments and always stopping to see if we had any questions...I was impressed from the first office visit I had with Dr. Omurtag...I have seen many fertility MD's in the Stl area and I truely wish I would have started here...
4 IUI, 3 IVF, Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs
I was impressed from the first office visit I had with Dr. Omurtag. He spent over an hour going over my fertility history, really paying attention to what has worked in the past and even more what hasn't. He's extremely thorough and detailed. Explaining plans/treatments and always stopping to see if we had any questions.
I have seen many fertility MD's in the Stl area and I truely wish I would have started here. Don't wait, make your appointment now!
I never felt like a number at this practice. From the front office to the phlebotomists, the Ultrasound techs, the OR staff, Dr. Omurtag and other MD's that assisted with my procedures. Everyone I met here was truely amazing and felt like a friend or family member.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith, Kathy, Mary)
The nurses were excellent! They were great with keeping me informed, relaying results and directions. They made sure I understood the protocols. I felt comfortable calling them if I had any questions.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I honestly could not say enough about this entire clinic. From the moment you walk in the door, the front office is welcoming and apologetic for any wait times. (Rarely was there any waiting) The phlebotomists are top notch and super sweet. The ultrasound techs are professional and compassionate. I really can't think of anything I would change about the staff or clinic.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We have very positive feelings about Dr. Omurtag, he is very personable and explained the entire process in detail and answered every question we had. He also gave us his thinking behind the treatment plan he formulated for us, as well as any changes made along the way. We never felt pressured to make a quick decision or to move on to a new treatment until we were ready physically, emotionally and financially. While we didn't see him every visit and he didn't perform every procedure, we felt very comfortable working with the other doctors in the practice and we knew we could set up a meeting, call or email him at any time.
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Be prepared for lots of appointments and to work with nurses and possibly other doctors. Dr. Omurtag and his nurse will handle all of your consultations, procedures not related to IVF (including IUI, which is performed by the nurse), treatment plan, instructions, test results, and scheduling. However, the doctors take turns performing IVF procedures on a monthly basis, so a different physician may perform your retrieval and/or transfer.
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us. He and his staff were always available to address our questions and concerns. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic, but also optimistic and encouraging.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
I love how Dr. Omurtag would explain the course of treatment and would usually say it 3 times giving me time to process things and think of any questions I might have. He was always positive in things even if the course of treatment had to change or there was some kind of road block that came up. I always left his office feeling fully informed and having hope that things would work out in the end. Dr. Omurtag has an amazing bedside manner and genuinely cares for his patients. :)...
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
You are in amazing hands. Trust him completely.
Dr. Omurtag was very caring and took his time to explain things to me and what my options were. He kept track of me even when I wasn't seeing him at the time. When he found out we had our son, he personally called me to congratulate us. Dr. Omurtag has an amazing bedside manner.
They were all very friendly and helpful.
I would have to schedule my appointment within a few hours in the morning. If I had to wait for my turn, it was usually a short wait under 10 min. To get the ultrasound and blood work done, I was usually in and out within 30 min. I usually had results back via a phone call within 2 or 3 hours.
Most of my costs were covered by my insurance. I was only responsible for about 10% of the bill
St. Louis Mo Bapt
Dr. Omurtag and his nurse Kathy were always available to assist and answer any questions we had. They are very personable and help to make a somewhat scary experience seem painless and easy... He takes him time with his patients and lets you know exactly what to expect along the way. Even if he was unavailable all the other doctors were familiar with our protocol and were also always available to assist...Dr. Omurtag put us on a long protocol with a month of birth control in the beginning. After the birth control we did injectibles with medrol, Gonal F and one more drug i can't remember to stimulate the ovaries. WE had one retrieval where we retrieved 19 eggs. Four of those successfully made it to Blastocyte stage.
Dr. Omurtag was great to work with. He takes him time with his patients and lets you know exactly what to expect along the way. Even if he was unavailable all the other doctors were familiar with our protocol and were also always available to assist.
Ask questions
Kathy was wonderful to work with and very understanding. She was my go to with all my questions and always made me feel at ease.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
They always work you in if there is an emergency. The wait times are very low and the entire staff was wonderful. The Phlebotomist and Ultrasound techs were all very nice and easy to work with as well.
We did financing through ARC and did the One Plus Program. The total cost for us was just over $20,000
Our odds were good for success so my husband and I selected to only have one transferred each time. That was also the Dr.'s recommendation based on our age (under 35) and other medical factors.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] is quick and to the point and always asks my partner how she feels. He even called after the baby was born to congratulate us and see how we were doing. He remembers your name and creates personal conversation with you. Where are you from....what do you like and dislike. Really an awesome down to earth guy...Everything was timing related. If there was an option he would clearly lay out the pros and cons and then let you decide. Very knowledgeable
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
He is quick and to the point and always asks my partner how she feels. He even called after the baby was born to congratulate us and see how we were doing. He remembers your name and creates personal conversation with you. Where are you from....what do you like and dislike. Really an awesome down to earth guy
Trust him
The service there was always amazing. As many patients as they have...I always felt like I was the only one everytime
Everyone is friendly and seems to know their job. They are always busy but never seem stressed. They always speak or smile no matter what
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
You always get a call back the same day you leave a message. I've always been able to get good appts and they always describe what to expect prior to arrival. Waiting time is very minimal. Front desk is always super nice and personable
I am military and had to pay out of pocket for all of my services
I had the option to move 2 due to my age. We discussed it and I ultimately said you are the dr. If this was you...what would you do. We got our answer and made our decision and everything worked out wonderfully
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Instead of seeing a PA or a NP for the initial consultation, I met with Dr. Omurtag and he completed every step of the appointment. Since then, he has always been directly involved in the care that occurred at the appointments....Dr. Omurtag was willing to work with my husband and I as we struggled with insurance coverage through the state of Illinois. There was not a time that he was unwilling to consider alternative treatment options to meet our needs of starting a family....
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Ask as many questions you would like, he is very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic did not have a long waiting list, which was extremely important to me as time was not on our side. They are always willing to discuss appointments and information when I would call outside the appointments.
I am unsure of the actual costs from the treatments thus far. But I am a state of Illinois insurance carrier and he was more than willing to work with us even in the condition of the state of Illinois and not receiving payment for services. Other options were available to us.
St. Louis Mo Bapt
Dr. Omurtag was professional and kind. He gave us straightforward information and was honest in his expectations for success. He made us feel like he really cared about us and was available to talk when we were nervous, upset, or had a question...He was professional, thoughtful, and dedicated to helping us. I trusted that he was making solid decisions about our treatment. I knew that he and his team were working hard to figure out the best plan. We knew we were a tough case. While it took a while for us to conceive, he had prepared us for the long journey.
Ask a lot of questions, trust their plan, and as hard as it is- be patient.
I don't remember the exact plans. We had 3 failed IUI's. Then we mived to injectables. We did have to stop the meds towards the end of the first round because I wasn't responding. Then we took a month off and began again with a new plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: MEREDITH )
Meredith was friendly and made me feel comfortable all along the way. She was there to answer any questions whenever I needed her to.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone was kind and professional. The clinic was always clean and inviting.
Between $20,000 & 25,000
St. Louis CWE
There are some obvious gaps in communication at times between the many different nurses involved at times in my case and [Dr. Kenan Omurtag]. Kenan has been very good with me and my questions and concerns...Meridth is on top of things and generally has a great attitude and makes you feel like she's taking care of you. But when she is out of the picture things fall apart with too many cooks in the kitchen. She did once get an attitude with me over not calling her back more frequently
Black or African-American, Native American
There are some obvious gaps in communication at times between the many different nurses involved at times in my case and Kenan. Kenan has been very good with me and my questions and concerns.
be persistent about the nurses you talk to getting the instruction right. Make sure you completely understand what his plan is so you can see deviations in it along the way aren't stemming from him.
sometimes i was treated very well and other times I felt like an after thought
still working these out. I'm older so we're tailoring a protocol for me now
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meridith)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
open most of the time and happy to see you on all occassions
monitoring appointments were a well oiled machine. I never really had to wait and it was always super fast
around 15 grand for an ivf, 400 for an iui with meds, just pills 50bucks, injectable cycle 600
IUI, 2 IVF
He [Dr. Omurtag] truly cares about his patients. He takes the time to listen to us as well as explain everything on the medical end. He gives opinions but does not try to push us in a specific direction. We also loved that he was very personable and knowledgeable.... Antagonist protocol I was on lupron, gonal-f, Menopur, and then later progesterone.... He always took time to talk to us and knew exactly who we were every time we saw him.
IUI, 2 IVF
He truly cares about his patients. He takes the time to listen to us as well as explain everything on the medical end. He gives opinions but does not try to push us in a specific direction. We also loved that he was very personable and knowledgeable.
Let him guide you through everything and trust his judgement.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Washington University keeps up with the latest research and has a high success rate. Their staff are personable and compassionate. They are quick and thorough when it comes to communication. They are willing to work with you, answer questions, and take time to listen.
IVF, Donor Sperm
he [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] took interest in who i was and what my life was about, never had a dr so engaged in who i am as a person...He never tried to rush us or change our minds with trying a different procedure. He wanted the same outcome we wanted and that was nice to see...I first had to go through all the bloodwork and vaginal ultrasound. I was than put with a dr who would help me loose some weight. I needed to loose 60 lbs before the procedure.l can start. I was then placed on metformin and synthyroid.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Omurtag took our particular situation and made us feel at ease that we were doing the best thing that fit what we wanted as parents and ad being an light patient. He never tried to rush us or change our minds with trying a different procedure. He wanted the same outcome we wanted and that was nice to see.
Be patient
Just he took interest in who i was and what my life was about, never had a dr so engaged in who i am as a person
The nurses like dr omurtag are very personable
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Go in and see, and always be patient
Cost is nothing compared to having a baby it was all worth it. Insurance covered most appt but not actual procedure
St. Louis CWE
He [Dr. Omurtag] was always quick to respond to our questions and concerns. Very reassuring and sympathetic to all the emotions on the roller coaster ride of infertility. I could tell he really wanted us to be successful....We are still in the middle of treatment but so far he has been honest and encouraging with us. We had some setbacks in not getting the number of follicles we hoped for and he talked us through our options. He was honest but also hopeful.
Don't be afraid to ask all your questions. Big and small. As patients we are allowed to advocate for ourselves and Dr. Omurtag is willing to answer all questions.
He was always quick to respond to our questions and concerns. Very reassuring and sympathetic to all the emotions on the roller coaster ride of infertility. I could tell he really wanted us to be successful.
The nursing staff was kind and compassionate. I felt well taken care of and that my questions and concerns were all addressed in a timely manner
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It's a bigger clinic so you don't see your doctor at every visit but we still had access to communicate with him.
We paid out of pocket and cost without meds was around 13,00
St. Louis CWE
Dr. Omurtag was fantastic. He was very upfront on expectations and took time to talk to me after the first IVF did not take.... My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and could talk freely with him about of questions and concerns. He really took the time to make sure we understood the risks and our options. I am so blessed to have two amazing children and I could not thank him enough for all he did. I would recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Omurtag was amazing. My husband and I felt very comfortable with him and could talk freely with him about of questions and concerns. He really took the time to make sure we understood the risks and our options. I am so blessed to have two amazing children and I could not thank him enough for all he did. I would recommend him to anyone.
Don’t be afraid to talk to him and get all your questions answer befor starting the process.
Dr. Omurtag was fantastic. He was very upfront on expectations and took time to talk to me after the first IVF did not take. He gave me all the options and helped me think through our next steps which then resulted in a birth.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
With so many people coming in at the same time, they really worked to get people in and out quickly for the blood works and ultrasounds. They were well organized and showed they care. They would remember your name which was a nice added touch.
St. Louis CWE
He [Dr. Omurtag] was very good at communicating...I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND him...he has always been very through with the risks and explaining also wanting to make sure we are set up for the best chances of success... we have never had any questions when leaving what the next step looked like and he was always a part of the treatment...Be prepared for honesty...He was very honest and we had a few roadblocks but he was open and explained how to take care of them I fully trust his advice
He was very good at communicating I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND him he has always been very through with the risks and explaining also wanting to make sure we are set up for the best chances of success we have never had any questions when leaving what the next step looked like and he was always a part of the treatment
He had a great bedside manner he keeps us very informed on what's going on
Everyone of his nursing staff has treated us like we mattered if we had questions they were answered and every single one of them were compassionate and excited when we were excited
Being billed still but so far they have been pretty good to work with
St. Louis Mo Bapt
I fully credit Dr Omurtag for our twin sons. After failed IUIs he gave us so much hope. He was attentive and always available to us. He was thorough and extremely thoughtful during a very stressful time. During the IVF process I couldnt have felt more comfortable or cared for than with Dr Omurtag & the Wash U staff. When we found out our sons were monodi (identical) he completely explained all that entailed and guided us in choosing a MFM. When our sons were born early due to TTTS he called us to check on them and then again after they were released from the NICU. I recommend him with confidence. He was a wonderful doctor.
Trust him. He knows his stuff!!
He was personally invested in our family. He was caring and kind. He felt like a friend though he was always extremely professional.
1 cancelled IVF cycle & 1 successful cycle. We had malev
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelly ??)
Excellent care!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
No complaints. The clinic was great.
He suggested that we do one, but we elected to do two. Now that I went through a very high risk twin pregnancy I fully understand his concern.
St. Louis CWE
He [Dr. Omurtag] and his nurse both called me to talk with me directly on different occasions to make sure my concerns were answered. He would answer my patient portal messages directly, even when he was on vacation...He listened to all of my concerns and showed great empathy. He would discuss the current literature with me. He always helped me stay positive. He was genuinely concerned with my outcome...
Trust Dr. Omurtag!
He and his nurse both called me to talk with me directly on different occasions to make sure my concerns were answered. He would answer my patient portal messages directly, even when he was on vacation.
I was switched to the antagonist protocol after my egg quality was not great on the first cycle.
Andrea was beyond amazing. She always called me back right away and listened to my concerns.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Very friendly staff and nice facilities.
It was covered under insurance.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr Omurtag] would call on weekends to make sure I was doing ok on my meds. When I found out I had DOR after I tried donating my eggs to my sister, he literally said his stomach dropped when he read my diagnosis. He was hurting with us. That's when I knew he was the right doctor for me...Be open and honest. If you don't agree with an option he gives, let him know. He will work with you to find the best treatment possible and make sure you feel supported.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
He would call on weekends to make sure I was doing ok on my meds. When I found out I had DOR after I tried donating my eggs to my sister, he literally said his stomach dropped when he read my diagnosis. He was hurting with us. That's when I knew he was the right doctor for me.
He genuinely cared about my issues and our success.
Very friendly!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Friendly and cooperative. Difficult to get through to an actual person though. Almost always have to leave a message for them to call you back. But almost always very quickly back.