Available by cell phone
314-286-2400
3023 N. Ballas Road
St. Louis, MO 63131
314-286-2400
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kenan Omurtag to a friend?
9.7

9.9

7.1

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Washington University School of Medicine to a friend?
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[Dr. Omurtag] was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
Just know that none of the docs within the WashU program are super patient-forward. You'll communicate with their nurses and receptionists, but these are amazing people who have no problem getting to the doctor, and getting back to you...She [nurse] had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from [Dr. Omurtag], still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Kenan was very upfront and honest with us, from the initial consult to the last appointment we had before we graduated to my regular OB-Gyn. He was clear about the odds of actually conceiving, given our DOR/MFI and age issues, and did not get our hopes up. Our first retrieval/transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We spent 30 minutes discussing how we'd change the protocol for the second attempt, and another 20 minutes talking about the pros/cons/possible necessity of donor eggs if we had a repeat issue with the second retrieval/transfer. Lastly, he was so excited when our betas came back positive - and after our graduation appointment - that he texted my regular OB-Gyn to let her know we were headed her way. He's a regular human being, who feels this process with his patients, and is with you every step of the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine?
Kenan knew exactly what was going on with us at every step of the way. His staff (receptionist and nurse) were really great to work with, and answered all of our questions. Like everyone going through the infertility nightmare, we were a special snowflake case. He knew the details, day in and day out, and was hugely supportive.
Describe the protocols Kenan Omurtag used in your cycles at Washington University School of Medicine and their degree of success.
We started with an estrogen primer, followed by five days of Letrozole. From there, I added in 150 Follistim. Eventually, we added Ganirelix, with an HcG trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy)
Kathy is amazing! She had all the answers to my questions, was super-prompt at getting back to me, and if she needed an answer from Kenan, still called back within an hour or so. I could not have asked for a better person to communicate with throughout this process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The front desk staff are great, the techs who do the blood draws are kind and compassionate, and the medical staff (doctors) we interacted with were really good at their jobs. If there's a weakness, it's that you don't have much direct contact with your doctor beyond the initial consult and testing, and the post-beta testing. For most of the treatment period, you're talking with the doctor's receptionist and nurse. Your doctor is still closely following your progress - you just don't talk with him/her.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.
We were ridiculously fortunate to have coverage through both my insurance and my husband's insurance. We paid under $3,000 for both IVF protocols.
Describe Kenan Omurtag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Washington University School of Medicine.
Because of my age, we planned to do fresh 3-day transfers. We transferred every embryo we had at that point (4 the first time, 3 the second).
St. Louis - Central West End

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kenan Omurtag at Washington University School of Medicine.

2020
Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Omurtag spent over an hour on Zoom with me explaining all the details of the fertility medications, retrieval process, etc. he was very well-informed and constantly asked if we had any questions. He also drew out pictures to make things very clear. He set me up with his nurse who has been in constant contact with me since...helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
The cost of one egg retrieval [at Washington University School of Medicine] and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year...Everyone is very organized and kind. The clinic has excellent communication skills and all questions are clearly answered. They make you feel like you belong and aren’t just another patient at the clinic. They care about you.
2020
Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Omurtag helped facilitate my treatment with another doctor due to Covid-19. He wanted the best care for me and allowed me to do ultrasounds and bloodwork in my hometown, rather than drive 2 hours to his clinic. He reassured me that I was getting great care and answered all my questions clearly.
He is very informative and friendly. He makes sure you understand everything and doesn’t move on if you have questions.
I am on an antagonist cycle. I’m doing 3 injectable medications daily. I get ultrasounds and bloodwork done approximately every other day. He updated my online profile very quickly so I know the results of my lab tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Mary has called me nearly every day with updates, advice, or just to check in. She’s been absolutely amazing and has answered any and all questions that I have. She is readily available at all times. She got me set up with several programs so my medications would be cheaper. She is in contact with the fertility doctors in my hometown so I have appointments when necessary and get results quickly. I’d be lost without Mary!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The cost of one egg retrieval and making them into embryos is approximately $8,000. They have suggested I do two cycles because after my cancer treatment, I may not be able to conceive naturally. Storing the frozen embryos is approximately $450 a year. Medications not covered by grants were approximately $600.

2019 - 2020
be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again...my first cycle was a short protocol, with 9 days of stim medications of Gonal-f, Menopur, and cetrotide. we retrieved 9 eggs, but most of them were not mature. the 2nd cycle we changed to a long agonist protocol with lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur. we retrieved 17 eggs, 15 were mature...our 1st cycle we transferred 2, because of the low quality and low numbers we retrieved. the 2nd time, because we had so many embryos, we only transferred 1
everyone was always on the same page for my care [at Washington University School of Medicine], and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously...most of my monitoring was done at a secondary location, but all appointments were quick, in and out.
2019 - 2020
with this clinic, its a group effort, so while i may not have seen my direct doctor, i was always aware of who would be handling each procedure. i was introduced to each doctor, and everything was explained in detail, with a chance to ask questions and confirm understanding. i never waited for a doctor to show up.
be assured that if it doesn't work the first time, Dr Omurtag will review and adjust to try again with success .
my first name was used at all times, without referring to paperwork to ensure it was correct. i was given a voice in all transactions, and decisions were made with me, not for me.
everyone was always on the same page for my care, and where is was in my treatment, as well as having full knowledge of any information given or questions asked. i never had to repeat myself, or remind anyone on the team where i was with treatment, or what had been talked about previously
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
the clinic is highly organized, and efficient. the only downside for me personally was that they were over 200 miles away from where i live. a lot of communication had to be done by phone, text or patientchart. there was never a lack of communication, even with that being true.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Washington University School of Medicine.
most of my costs were covered by insurance, but it was hard to nail down an exact number, or cost for anything. i contacted billing several times without an answer. if i were paying out of pocket, this would have been very concerning.

2015 - 2019
18 IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of... I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor... LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
Everyone [Washington University] worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours.... nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive... After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing
2015 - 2019
18 IUI, 6 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr Omurtag and his staff.... AMAZING!!! If there were set backs (as in my case there often were), he explained why a procedure needed to be taken care of (polyps removed from uterus, EKG b/c of an irregular heart beat etc) before moving on to the next step in process. I NEVER felt these findings were a way for the company to get more money, rather they were concerns he had that needed to be examined before he felt confident enough to proceed to ensure I would be able to carry a healthy baby full term.
trust him, he knows what he is doing and will not give you poor advice or sugar coat the risks. He gives you all the information you need to make an informed decision.
I wasn't just another patient. He wanted to know about my husband, about me, what we have tried. Thoroughly explained risks involved of egg donor. Did not sugar coat anything yet was considerate of IUI we have tried in past with another fertility dr. He and his staff were always always available to answer any questions no matter how trivial. Wanted updates once baby was born, even asked if we could have a family picture with him! LOVE THIS MAN FOR NOT GIVING UP ON AN OLDER COUPLE who had tried for 9 years to have a baby!!!!
My husband and I met with the his consultants first to review costs. Once that was complete we then saw Dr Omurtag who went in depth on different types of procedures he could try. Since my husband and I had tried for 6 years to have a child (with a fertility clinic in TN) he told us he would not put us/me through that again, he would not try IVF since we had not had success. Our option was egg donor. Once we made that choice we had to meet with a team of specialist to see if we/I were physically and mentally ready for the process. After I was cleared a battery of tests began (continual labs, weekly/monthy ultrasounds, sonohysterogram, removal of polyps), daily pills, patches and injections needed to be administered until I was finally ready for embryo transfer. 9 months later: SUCCESS!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: I really do not remember her name)
Again, nothing but positive. communication was excellent, everyone remembered our names, impressive
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone worked as a team whether it was through emails, phone calls or in person. No questions were left unanswered, calls were returned within 24 hours. After the birth of our son, Dr Omurtag made it a point to call me and see how we ALL were doing (his nurse didn't call me, the receptionist didn't call me, HE did and any time a dr makes it a point to pick up the phone and place a call him/her self speaks volumes for the care he provides his patients)
for the process my husband and went through I felt it was reasonable. Because insurance did not cover much, most was out of pocket and payment options were made available to us.
Due to my age, only 3 eggs were transferred. We are trying for baby number 2 and this time he is telling me only 1 egg will be transferred. This Dr is phenomenal, always takes his patient's health and safety into consideration before doing whatever the patient wants.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

He [Dr. Kevin Omurtag] suggested we do multiple due to age and past records...He has great bedside manner. He spends all the time in the world with you, going through every possible scenario that you bring to his attention. Dr. Omurtag is young and I find that an advantage as he seems to keep up on the latest information going on in infertility... is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
The front desk staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too...For IUI, we did mainly clomid, then after three of those, went to a clomid with one u/s and trigger shot. Finally, went to an IUI with injectables and monitoring. For IVF, we did a short antagonist protocol for both IVF cycles with ovidrel trigger shots.
Dr. Omurtag is friendly, knowledgeable, caring, and smart. It was nice to feel like you could ask as many questions as you needed to ask and he would answer them without making you feel dumb or rushing you out the door. I do wish he would be at the procedures. He said he would be at them a couple of times and never showed up. That was disappointing as we had really hoped he would perform the procedures and he said he would.
Feel comfortable asking questions and make suggestions. He's open to them all and will go through all possibilities with you.
Kathy is fantastic! She responds very quickly to messages and calls. She does rush a bit on the phone, but is very thorough on email. I feel like she cares and wants everyone to be successful.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is pretty cold when you first get there. The front desk staff are cordial, but not outwardly friendly. It does feel a little anonymous and not as friendly as other places. The medical assistants that draw blood are fantastic and friendly. The ultrasound techs are very kind and knowledgeable, too.
He suggested we do multiple due to age and past records.
St. Louis - Central West End
He [Dr. Omurtag] reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care [at Wash U]. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey.
Dr. Omurtag was professional yet completely approachable, and was able to explain things in ways that were simple to understand while still being comprehensive. He patiently answered all of my questions - even during my first appointment, when I had an entire list of questions written down. He reviewed all of my test results, and would write comments once he had done so that I could read them on the patient portal. He made the whole fertility treatment process seem as easy and natural as anything in the world, giving us realistic expectations of success while reassuring us that he would be there to support and guide us along every step of the way. I have never had a doctor in whom I had more confidence and trust.
Come with questions, so you know what you want to know - and then rest easy, knowing Dr. Omurtag will tell you everything else, the things you didn't think to ask.
While always professional on every level, I felt like Dr. Omurtag and his staff were incredibly approachable and supportive. If I emailed them with a question, I had an answer within hours. If I called, I always either spoke directly with someone or received a prompt call back. If there were any tests I could do locally (I live two hours away from St. Louis), they would let me - saving me that long trip. During my first appointment I came with a list of questions written down, and Dr. Omurtag patiently answered every single one, and never made me feel foolish for asking any of them - even if they were very basic. Honestly, I cannot say enough about the supportive and attentive care I received while a patient of Dr. Omurtag. His nurses Kathy and Mary, and his medical secretary Jessie, were also incredible! Truly, those women made me feel so well looked after.
He reviewed my chart to see what I had done thus far with my local OBGYN, laid out the treatment options, and explained the order in which we would/could take them so that my husband and I could make informed decisions about our care. He started with the least-invasive option first, IUI, and promised that if it did not work within a few attempts, he would regroup with us to discuss what our next step would be. We ended up getting pregnant on the second round of IUI, but during the whole process he monitored all of my test results and sent messages to let me know his take. It assured me that he was a hands-on physician, who truly was taking an interest in my care.
Dr. Omurtag's staff members were the perfect compliment to his excellent care. Kathy, his nurse, always answered my questions in the patient portal within hours of me sending them - and if necessary, called so she could better explain what was going on. She was kind, compassionate, thorough, and yet felt entirely approachable. I could ask her anything. There was another nurse, Mary, who was also wonderful - she would answer my questions, if Kathy was not in that particular day. She was just as prompt, thorough, and easy to trust and understand. Jessie, the medical secretary, was also absolutely fantastic - from the very first phone call in which she got some background information from me and set up my first appointment, I knew she was someone who would be right there with us through this whole journey. She is the kind of person who made you feel safe, like you could rest easy because you knew she would dot every I and cross every T to make sure that the administrative side of your care was attended to. Honestly, I cannot say enough about Dr. Omurtag's staff. I wish we didn't live so far away, so that they could be in charge of my care permanently.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everything I experienced with Dr. Omurtag, his staff, and the clinic as a whole was of top-notch quality. I honestly did not have a single complaint during my time as their patient (and they have assured me that even though I will be resuming full-time care with my local OBGYN, I am free to call them at any time if I have any questions or concerns - another testament to how wonderful of an office they are). The patient portal made communication with the staff a breeze, the appointments were always prompt and efficiently run, and we would not hesitate to go to them again if we needed help with getting pregnant again. Frankly, if it weren't for the drive, I would switch doctors in a heartbeat. I've never had a better doctor or staff, nor felt more comfortable or well looked after.
Besides copays, I did not have any extra costs associated with my care from Dr. Omurtag.
St. Louis - Central West End

You walk in [to WashU] and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
Kenan was warm and engaged. I remember my husband joking he was so young. In ways I liked that piece because I felt like I could relate to him as a human and someone our age who understands all the issues we are facing. He was always very reserved about being too excited or hopeful, but would say until the baby is out and in your arms. That could sound harsh, but I think that it was helpful to keep us in the moment and not attaching to an outcome. He also referred me to Dr. Odem when he felt my Asherman's was too extensive for him to do surgery on. I appreciated him acknowledging he has limits to his medical ability and wanted to support me in getting the best possible care.
Ask as many questions as you need to in order to understand things. He will answer them and it is okay to be reserved and not jump on his first recommendation. You are allowed to dictate your own steps of care.
Keenan was great, very warm, personable. He was honest and did not make promises and took his time with us. I never felt rushed or like he needed to get to someone else. He was always quick to respond, took all my anxieties and worries seriously and was never dismissive.
He first gave me progesterone to see if I could bleed, I then had a dye test of my tubes to make sure there was no blockage and my organs were in good standing. He paired my cycle after progesterone with Letrosole and I ovulated and was pregnant on my first time. He stated that if we tried that given I had 5 failed rounds of Chlomid, he was going to recommend IUI.
I remember them giving me detailed information, being very calm, organized and relaxed. They answered questions and responded quickly.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
You walk in and the desk is in front of you. You usually get checked in fairly quickly. The welcome is not overly friendly, but appropriate and cordial. The waiting room is very nice, coffee machine, magazines, TV and radio. You are often in the lobby with several other couples who are all there for the same reason. When you are taken back you go to an office or a nurse may get some information and send you out. The wait times are not terrible.
I am a university employee so my insurance covers my fees. It was never expensive or unreasonable. Sometimes medications were very expensive regardless. However I understand meds and IVF are very expensive. They are very understanding of the financial challenge and work to support individuals in getting feedback and support from billing.
St. Louis - Central West End

From the start Dr Omurtag gave us hope. He was kind, caring, and attentive. He answered all of our questions. He told us what we needed to know up front. He didn’t perform my egg retrieval but he stopped in to check on me, which was very nice. He also personally called me after my first negative test to discuss how I was doing and where to go next.... My protocol was pretty standard. With it being male factor infertility i didn’t have to do a lot of extra stuff. I took 3 different medications over a 10 day period.
We really liked this clinic [Washington U]. It was clean, professional, and everyone was friendly and caring. Sometimes we had to wait a little while for our appointment but that comes with most doctor offices. Our only downfall was trying to find a parking spot.... I was very pleased overall with Kathy, Jessie, and the rest of the care team. They always got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I could tell Kathy was upset when she had to tell me my first blood test was negative.
You won’t see him for every visit but he is aware of what’s going on and is still keeping up with your progress.
I definitely felt like a human, not a number. Dr Omurtag and everyone there were so helpful and caring.
My protocol was pretty standard. With it being male factor infertility i didn’t have to do a lot of extra stuff. I took 3 different medications over a 10 day period. I took cetrotide and was allergic to it, they had me take Benadryl with it. I almost overstimulated so I did have to take pills for that and up my fluids.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kathy )
I was very pleased overall with Kathy, Jessie, and the rest of the care team. They always got back to me right away and answered all my questions. I could tell Kathy was upset when she had to tell me my first blood test was negative. She cared about me and my feelings.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
We really liked this clinic. It was clean, professional, and everyone was friendly and caring. Sometimes we had to wait a little while for our appointment but that comes with most doctor offices. Our only downfall was trying to find a parking spot. Usually the reserved spots were open but sometimes we had to park somewhere else and hope we didn’t get a ticket.
We were fortunate that our insurance covered fertility treatments. With 2 rounds of IVF and doing ICSI we paid about $2500 out of pocket.
For our first transfer, we saw Dr Odem and he recommended transferring 2 embryos. He explained why and we agreed, however, it was unsuccessful. The second transfer we transferred one embryo which resulted in a positive blood test.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
I expect a response within a day but these girls [staff at Washington University School of Medicine] are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!...I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization...It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
YES! He is great at what he does and you can tell in his heart he wants to help you get pregnant!
From the beginning, Dr. Omurtag was kind, easy to talk to and very thorough. His staff reflects this, they are just as incredible! He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that. Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done!
He gave me options, we could very aggressive and go straight to invitro or go a slower route. I decided to go an even slower route than what he offered which he was completely supportive of! Month 1 consisted of starting thyroid medicine and having my tubes flushed, then me and my husband trying spontaneously. If that did not work the next month I was going to start Clomid but we did not get to that point :) He discovered that one of my thyroid levels (which can cause infertility and mc) was within the normal range but a little high in the normal range. He started me on some thyroid medicine, I had my tubes checked and within a month I was pregnant. I truly believe that small adjustment to my thyroid was what did it. Other doctors may have dismissed this bc it was still within the normal range but Dr. Omurtag saw beyond that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jessie and Kathy)
Dr Omurtag's staff, Jessie and Kathy, are KICK ASS! I expect a response within a day but these girls are on it. Most of the time they would email or call me back within an hour or less. I am grateful for all they have done! I was super impressed with the communication between everyone and their organization.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
There's not much to say about this. It's a clinic and I loved my doctor and his nurses! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced! It was very clean and the lady who did my u/s 2x was super nice and experienced!
My us and tube cleaning was not covered by my insurance, it was 280 for the u/s and 720 for the tube cleaning.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Omurtag was very aware of how difficult this process was and was always willing to work with my husband and me to find a treatment plan that worked for us. He listened to our concerns and made us feel good about moving forward. He was also very helpful in explaining our treatment.... Dr. Omurtag is a very helpful and compassionate doctor. He helped us navigate through a very frustrating and disappointing time in our life, which ended up resulting in the birth of our son. He was very informative and straightforward, but also listened to our concerns and reservations. I can’t recommend Dr. Omurtag and his staff enough!!
[Wash U is] Very organized, friendly, and helpful. Great and making sure you are informed and always willing to answer your questions. I never had to wait too long for appointments either. It was very easy to get ahold of my nurse or doctor.... Cathy was always very helpful and informative. She did the one IUI I had with Wash U. She was great about answering all of my questions.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Trust the process and try to be patient. Also, don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself and ask questions.
First we tried a medicated cycle with injections and an IUI. I over responded to the injections and had to wait 2 months for my ovaries to go down. Didn’t get to the IUI that time. We tried again, this time with less dosage and an IUI, by resulted in a negative pregnancy test. After that, we were ready to move forward with IVF. I used injections for 4-5 days (Gonal F, Menopur, and Lupron). My egg retrieval resulted in 32 eggs, 19 were mature, and we decided, as a personal decision to only fertilize 10. We did a fresh transfer with one of our day 5 embryos and ended up freezing the remaining four embryos we had for future use.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Cathy)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Insurance covered our IVF treatment so I’m not sure. Medications cost us $3,000 out of pocket, and we had to put $600 (if I remember correctly) down to be financially clear.

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Omurtag] was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.... He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
The ladies at the front desk [Washington University School of Medicine] during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.... Kathy and Jessie both were always available, they would call back within a reasonable amount of time (same day, usually a few hours), answered questions, talked with you, treated you professionally but as a human.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He was very knowledgeable, answered any questions we had. He was upfront that he would manage and oversee our cycle but explained that the doctors in the practice rotate IVF weeks and I may not have him for all my procedures. He was honest and again, while very knowledgeable did not make me feel like I was wasting his time with questions or concerns.
Ask questions. and be aware that he may not be the doctor to do your procedures, that’s important to know, but all the doctors in the practice are great.
He took the time during each appointment to explain the process and answer questions. He did not rush you through just to move on to his next patient. He talked about real life experiences.
We did IVF. I started meds to “quiet” my ovaries which worked great. Then we started Stims at low doses and increased. I was not responding well enough at first and we talked about canceling the cycle and starting over with another protocol. I was able to come in an extra time for monitoring and finally started responding. Dr. Omurtag called me himself to talk about it since he knew they “scared” me with talk of canceling. Once we were where we needed to be we did egg retrieval and got 8 eggs, which was exactly what I expected per the last monitoring appointment we had. We ended up with 6 embryos. We went in for a day 5 fresh transfer and found out we had two picture perfect embryos but the others did not meet the criteria to freeze. We transferred one embryo and froze the other. Our fresh transfer did not work. We waited one cycle and jumped in to our frozen cycle. The one frozen embryo we had stuck like a champ and our IVF miracle baby was born January 2018. We are very happy with our results. :)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The ladies at the front desk during the week were always friendly. The nurses who drew my blood were always caring and friendly. The front desk ladies on the weekend weren’t as friendly. The billing lady was great.
Fresh transfer was in the $11,000’s. I cannot remember the exact number right now. Medication was anywhere between $3-5k.
We had two “perfect” embryos. I wanted to transfer both but the doctor suggested only doing one. She said they don’t offer only doing one to everyone but that I was young, healthy and the embryo was “perfect.” I cried but agreed to only transfer one. I know it doesn’t always go how we want it to but I am glad I only did the one. I still had one frozen after the fresh transfer didn’t work. I would have been very upset and frustrated if we had walked away with nothing.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine.
After each monitoring appointment you are supposed to get a phone call with the results and medication adjustments. After my first monitoring appointment I never got a phone call so wasn’t sure what to do medication wise that night. As a new patient and it was my first monitoring I didn’t want to be annoying and call so I waited. Eventually the office closed and I had to call the after hours exchange and talk to a doctor to find out what I needed to do. That was the only “problem” I ever had. It would deter me from this clinic unless it happened several times. Once is just an honest mistake.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
He [Dr. Omurtag] even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor...We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy [at Washington University School of Medicine]. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her...My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Extremely patient, Kind and compassionate. He even took the time to tell us how much he really enjoyed working with LGBTQ patients. He tells you exactly what is going on even if the news is not good. My partner and I really appreciated his straightforwardness. He is very goal oriented and does not waste any time- that was exactly what we wanted when searching for a fertility doctor.
Know that the techs and nurses might not have the best bedside manner or be super kind to you-BUT Dr. Omurtag is the one in charge of your treatment and each step along the way.
Most Importantly-When with Omertag I always felt like a human and was treated with kindness and respect. He always takes the time to explain any question and never rushes you. The Nurses and Tech are not so much. The bedside manner while receiving a vaginal ultrasound was kind of horrible. I was told I had many fibroids but was given no explanation of what type or what this meant for me. When I asked her for just a bit of explanation or if I could speak with a nurse I was shown the door. Like she actually said" the exit it right down the hall. So I left the office very confused and has to wait 24 hours for any explanation as to what this meant for me and my partners treatment.
After 3 failed IUI at another clinic-We started with a natural IUI cycle. Then an IUI with Clomid and finally the 3rd IUI with Clomid, estrogen, and progesterone. We are now moving onto reciprocal IVF.
Our primary nurse is Cathy. Cathy performed all 3 of our (failed) IUI's. She was very organized and straight to the point. She only gives us the bare minimum when we have questions and we always feel rushed and sort of like we were a nuisance to her. With that said she is always prompt on calling us back gets the job done. If this was not such a painful, hard and expensive time in our lives we would be ok with this- but it's such a sensitive time that even a little bit of kindness goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Dr. Omertang and his fellow Fertiltiy Doctors are the best in Saint Louis. We have many friends that have used them with success. My only issue is with the nurses and ultrasound techs. Not so great bedside manner and little to no empathy. The being said they get the job done and this is the only clinic we want to be at for our upcoming egg retrieval and transfer.
At this point, we have spent around $4,500.00. For three IUI's, medication, ultrasounds, medication, (2) meetings with Omertag and Sperm.

IUI, 1 IVF
Dr Omurtag is a compassionate, trustworthy doctor. I now consider him a friend. He has been there for my fiancé and I through this tough experience and has not let us feel as though we are "alone on an island" once, just like he promised in the beginning! We ended up with an ectopic pregnancy and had to have two doses of methotrexate, this all occurred over the holidays. You could feel the compassion when in his office and see the pain he had for us in his eyes. I could likely go elsewhere for less money but he is worth every extra penny, even if we didn't get to our end result just yet!
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA [at Washington University] were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!... The lab techs are fabulous at drawing and always super friendly. The ultrasound techs are equally as good! Always happy and they explain every little moment to you so there are no surprises!
IUI, 1 IVF
Go to your first meeting with your questions and with your past experiences and information! He will help guide you the rest of the way!
Dr Omurtag and his staff go above and beyond to make you feel special and most importantly, comfortable! Multiple times he has gone out of his way to ease my husbands and I's minds whether it was a check in call, researching to find an answer to our question or simply a hug!
Our first round was a long agonist with gonal-f protocol. The lupron that was used gave me terrible headaches and some stiffness in my neck but overall I did great with the protocol. We ended up transferring two healthy embryos and we had an ectopic pregnancy. We just now started an antagonist with OCPs protocol for round 2. He chose this so he can be more aggressive with the stimulation and therefore have more embryos hopefully to choose from in the end.
Kathy, the nurse and Jessie the AA were both absolutely amazing and both went out of their way to find me for a hug when they knew I needed it the most. Jessie is always cheerful when answering the phone and legitimately happy to hear from you. Kathy is honest and compassionate. She is also very knowledgeable!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
It was close to $18,00 including meds. Our insurance didn't cover a penny so we were out of pocket patients.
The doctors in this practice choose based on the embryos and their development. Their goal is for you to have one healthy and happy baby...they come with their reasoning on how many they feel you should transfer and together you make a decision.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient...We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.... He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff...The nursing staff is competant and efficient. However, I cannot say that they show much compassion or attempt to get to know you personally. This is probably due to the volume of patients they see...IUIs were $385, and ultrasounds were $345. IVF is going to be approximately $11,500 (before meds).
Dr. Omurtag is very kind, knowledgable, and patient. We left our consultation with him feeling like our questions were answered. He also tried to make us feel hopeful, and we could tell that he wanted us to be successful. We also felt that he was very comfortable and competant in working with the LGBT community.
I would have no reservations referring someone to Dr. Omurtag. He is very nice and makes you feel at ease. He explains things in an understandable way. My only word of caution would be that WashU does see a lot of patients and the majority of your interactions will not be with Dr. Omurtag.
WashU sees a lot of patients, and the service is not very personal. We have not been treated poorly, but we also have not been treated exceptionally well by the staff. Dr. Omertag is very kind and personal, but we only saw him for consultations.
I did 3 IUIs, two with Clomid and one natural. I did day 12 ultrasounds to monitor follicles for the second and third cycles. For one cycle it was determined that the clomid diminished my lining so I was given estradoil and a trigger shot. IUI's were typically done the day after the positive LH surge. They were done by the nurse.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The obvious strength of WashU is that they have the highest success rates in the area. The doctors are experts at one of the most highly ranked medical centers in the country. Dr. Omrutag is very personable and patient as well. The weakness is that the staff is not very personal.
We are just beginning the IVF process, but during our IVF consultation he informed us that they recommend transfering only one embryo.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Omurtag was very patient and kind, very understanding. He does the initial consult, but works with a team of doctors to decide treatments. He was very responsive when there was a problem. He didn't seem to have a sense of urgency with the situation, and did not suggest any supplements or outside procedures that have shown to maybe contribute to success, just the basic medical IVF treatment.... No change after the 1st failed cycle except increase dosages of gonal F and menopure. No planned change after 2nd failed cycle.
The clinic [Washington University] was very efficiently run and the staff and drs. were always great at answering questions and explaining. The clinic does not provide or cordinate outside support, or seem to act woth urgency... The care cordinator and staff were always compassionate and helpful. The care coordinator was generally very responsive especially in the case of emergencies.... Monitoring is done in the very early morning and usually can be accomplished within 10 to 30 min, depending on if you are having bloodwork or a scan as well.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Definitely do your own research into any supplemental treatments, vitamins, etc. that might provide some benefit. This clinic is much more of a hospital setting than some other clinics.
The staff and Dr. Omurtag were very kind and supportive. Dr. Omurtag always had time for questions and concerns. My only complaint was that they seemed to think we could do as many cycles as it took, there was no sense of urgency.
Long agonist protocol, a month of birth control, 2 weeks of lupron treatment before the stimulation phase began. Wgg retrieval is very much in a hospital surgical room setting. No change after the 1st failed cycle except increase dosages of gonal F and menopure. No planned change after 2nd failed cycle.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was very efficiently run and the staff and drs. were always great at answering questions and explaining. The clinic does not provide or cordinate outside support, or seem to act woth urgency (we will just keep doing cycles till it takes...)
Monitoring is done in the very early morning and usually can be accomplished within 10 to 30 min, depending on if you are having bloodwork or a scan as well. It is very efficent but they do not make you feel like it is an assembly at all.
A long agonist cycle with transfer and medication cost about 15,000$. ICSI was around another 1000$.
Dr. Omurtag was fine with transfering 2 untested embryos and after age 35 and previously failed cycles would transfer 3 untested embryos.

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag] can be cut and dry when it gets to the medical side of things. He will tell you like it is, but you can’t take it to heart.... He did the basic ivf routine each time, when I did find out I was pregnant, he had me take baby aspirin and shots of progesterone and lovenox due to MTHFR and PI1.... He would call after hours to go over things and explain in detail what our next steps would be
The clinic [Washington Univ School of Med-STL] was very clean and organized. Everything is in the same office so you don’t have to go anywhere else for blood work or surgeries. They close for a month each year (January I believe) to sterilize so be aware of that... Most of the nursing staff were great and very nice! My coordinator was very unreliable in answering calls, wouldn’t respond with urgent matters and when calling to tell me my beta, was not sympathetic. I wasn’t a fan of hers but I stuck with it to see Dr. O.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
He is very thorough, understanding and determined. He listened to my concerns and even when he didn’t think things were necessary, he ran tests to give me peace of mind. He gave us our twins and we couldn’t be more grateful!
He can be cut and dry when it gets to the medical side of things. He will tell you like it is, but you can’t take it to heart.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic was very clean and organized. Everything is in the same office so you don’t have to go anywhere else for blood work or surgeries. They close for a month each year (January I believe) to sterilize so be aware of that. I have nothing bad to say!
We were lucky enough to have fertility coverage with our insurance. We ran out of funds just before our final transfer so we paid out of pocket for that. I believe it was $1,000. In total, we spent $16k
We transferred 1 resulting in a chemical pregnancy. Next we transferred 2 resulting in a neg. Finally we transferred 2 again and now have twins! It’s a choice you have to make for yourself I feel. Be prepared for each embryo to stick. There’s always a possibility!
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
I was due to take an injection and it needed to be sent to the pharmacy and I also needed to know the amount. I called and left several messages and did not get a call back. It was getting close to the office being closed and it would have ruined my whole cycle had I not taken this shot. Luckily I was able to connect with someone at the front desk who walked back to my coordinator and demanded to take my call. It ended up working out but it was a close call and I would have lost a cycle and the money spent for ultrasounds blood work and medication leading up to this.
St. Louis - Central West End

Washington University Physicians Department of reproductive endocrinology has a very impersonal approach to IVF. You are unlikely to go through the cycle with your chosen doctor, they will not customize a protocol or attempt to think outside the box to fix your protocol if your body is not reacting like it's supposed to. If your body doesn't react like a normal person's body, you will not get pregnant with this Clinic.... My PPO insurance does cover infertility.
Dr.Omurtag seems like a nice guy, but at the core of it he really does not care if you get pregnant or not. When we first saw this doctor we were essentially told that we had a greater than 60% chance of success for one cycle of IVF and that most likely since it was male Factor infertility we were battling one cycle would be all it would take. Our first cycle of IVF they retrieved 13 eggs, only 4 were mature, and only one embryo was created. Dr. Omurtag brushed this off as a fluke and we tried again. Washington University only has certain set protocols in place, they do not customize a protocol for the way your body reacts. If you don't fit perfectly into the box then you are not going to have success at this Clinic. Additionally, the doctor making decisions about your care is going to be whatever doctor happens to be on call for IVF that week and they may not know your case or your history at all.
Don't.
This doctor made flippant remarks about how it's all a numbers game and we only need one embryo implying that there's no use trying for more than one
My first cycle of IVF was a long Agonist protocol. We did Lupron for 10 days I think, followed by stimulation with follistim and menopur. I triggered with HCG for my retrieval. My second cycle of IVF was different, I did not use Lupron at all instead they had me simulate with follistim and menopur and ganirelix was used towards the end with an HCG trigger
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
My PPO insurance does cover infertility. The Physician and anesthesiologist fees are prepaid before they will schedule your cycle and it was $600 even. They have a surgical room attached to their office and it bills you as a free-standing Surgical Center for Missouri Baptist and my 20% coinsurance was over $2,800 for one cycle

IUI, IVF
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand...His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease...At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
This clinic [Washington University School of Medicine] has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!...My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000.
IUI, IVF
Dr. Omurtag is an outstanding physician! He's a warm and friendly person who makes you feel welcome during a doctor visit, especially with how difficult or delicate the situation is at hand. As an example, I felt uncomfortable with an SHG and trial transfer that we allowed a Fellow perform under his guidance, and Dr. Omurtag distracted me with talking about everyday things, like baseball, which I enjoy.
The advice I would give a prospective patient of Dr. Omurtag would be to speak up and ask questions - even if you feel it's a dumb question - there are NO dumb questions to him! He's very knowledgeable, so use that to help you make an informed decision about your fertility journey.
Dr. Omurtag is a very sincere and respectful physician. His bedside manner is above reproach. He doesn't talk over your head and will gladly answer any and all of your questions to put your mind at ease.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Dr. Omurtag put me on the Long GnRH Agonist regimen. It went over 2 menstrual cycles, utilizing birth control pills beginning on CD4 (preventing pregnancy) until all active pills were taken. On CD 21, I started 20 units of Lupron ( to block ovulation) for 21 days. I started my period around this time, beginning the second cycle of the long regimen. I had an ultrasound and estradiol check to confirm suppression. Then in cycle 2, I used varying doses of Gonal F and Menopur (to stimulate my ovaries to make follicles.) Gonal F started on CD6 at 225iu, then decreased to 150iu on CD9 until last dose on CD15. I started 75iu of Menopur on CD9 through CD12. One day of 150iu of Menopur on CD13, then 75iu CD14 through CD15. I stopped all meds on CD16 for my retrieval on CD18. At my retrieval, they extracted 15 follicles, of which 12 were good to fertilize. Four out of six fertilized with the conventional method and five of the other six with ICSI.
The nursing staff for Dr. Omurtag were excellent! I don't feel like I was rushed through or felt that I was just another number. They were very friendly and supportive through the whole process.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
This clinic has their stuff together! I didn't feel like I was rushed into anything and I was given lots of information to make an informed decision with my care. Everyone from counselors, billers, secretaries, to the nursing staff and physicians were genuinely caring! I can't really think of any weaknesses that this clinic has!
My global self-pay package was about $12,600, not including medication, for IVF (fresh cycle). It included pre-IVF procedure, IVF retrieval plus ICSI, IVF transfer, and post-IVF procedure. For me, my meds ranged from $3,000 to $4,000. I also sought out rebates, coupons, etc, to help off-set those medicine costs.
Dr Omurtag seemed okay with my decision to transfer 2 embryos, informing me of the risks/benefits and not trying to persuade me either way. He was quite supportive. However, on the day of the transfer, another doctor (Dr. Randal Odem) performed it because he was being on call that week. He double checked with me and my decision to do two, informing me one last time of benefits/risks of transferring two, but I backed out and only had them transfer one embryo. I went on to have a successful singleton pregnancy and live birth of this fresh cycle.

Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Kenan Omurtag0 is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan... Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo.
The nursing staff [at Washington University School of Medicine] is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!... They have many strengths in professionalism, knowledge, communication, and compassion. I cannot think of any weaknesses that I experienced. I highly recommend this clinic to everyone.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He is fabulous at making sure you fully understand everything that is going on. He is friendly, but professional at the same time. The most important thing, he knows what he is doing. I never felt like he was unsure about the plan.
Trust him.
He was always honest and direct, but would not use medical terms that a normal person would not know. His explanations were always very clear. He is very professional, but always made us feel like he cared.
Our first cycle was a Long Agonist protocol. We started with birth control and then used 10IU Lupron for 13 days. Then, we lessened the Lupron to 5IU and added 300IU Gonal F for three days. After that, we eliminated the Lupron, lessened Gonal F to 150IU, and added Menopur in at 150IU for four days. I did not respond well, which was surprising. We retrieved 7 eggs, 4 were mature, and 1 fertilized into an embryo. We did full ICSI. We did not conceive. On our second round, we did a Luteal Estradiol Antagonist protocol, eliminating birth control and Lupron completely. We eliminated supressants because I didn't respond well to the first cycle. I took ovulation tests until I ovulated, then a week later, I started estrogen for 5 days to prime my ovaries. At the start of my period, took 150IU of Menopur, and 225IU Gonal F for seven days. Then added in 250IU of Cetrotide for an additional three days. We retrieved 11 eggs, 7 were mature, and 2 fertilized into embryos with full ICSI again. We conceived and are currently pregnant.
Kathy was brand new during my second cycle, so I had to really stay on her if I needed something done. I attribute this to growing pains in a new organization. She was always friendly. The nursing staff is amazing! They really were a joy to see on a regular basis and made a stressful situation a little brighter. They were always so kind and professional. Absolutely loved them!
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
We were fortunate enough to have 2 rounds mostly covered by insurance. We just had to pay for the more expensive of the medications. A round including medications does cost about $20,000 usually.
I believe his approach was correct with our results.

PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health...He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging...
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly...Meredith is great. She's very bubbly and upbeat. As Dr. Omurtag's nurse, she performs IUIs and is also the primary point of contact for his IVF patients. You can contact her through Dr. Omurtag's secretary and she will always get back to your quickly...
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
We really enjoyed working with Dr. Omurtag. After evaluating our histories and testing, he was very confident that we would be successful, either via IUI or IVF. We did not see Dr. Omurtag at every visit, but it was made clear to us that we could schedule an appointment to meet with him any time we needed. We had an initial meeting with him where we discussed our past pregnancy history and overall health. At this meeting, he went over our initial plan to obtain a diagnosis, including all of the testing he was ordering and when/where these procedures would be performed. Once this testing was completed, we met with him again to discuss our treatment course, which turned out to be IUI. We underwent four unsuccessful IUI cycles and then reconvened with Dr. Omurtag, who recommended proceeding with IVF. Because this was such a costly step, we asked to continue the IUI for two more cycles while we saved up the money for IVF, and he agreed. These cycles were also unsuccessful, so we met with Dr. Omurtag once again after our IVF financing was in place. At this meeting, he explained the IVF process and all of the procedures associated with it. At this practice, all IVF cases for the month are handled by a single physician on a rotating basis. This is the reason that Dr. Omurtag did not handle all of our procedures himself. However, we had a good experience with the other two physicians in the practice with whom we worked. Once we received a positive pregnancy blood work up after the fresh IVF cycle, we met with Dr. Omurtag again after our first ultrasound at 7 weeks. The baby was slightly undersized, but not alarmingly so, and Dr. Omurtag asked us to return in a week to check on the fetal growth. At that point, he felt comfortable turning us over to our OB for the remainder of the pregnancy, but encouraged us to call at any time if we had concerns, especially during the time before our first OB appointment. When I miscarried at nearly 11 weeks, Dr. Omurtag happened to be at the hospital and stopped to see us after we got the bad news. He was very compassionate, but also made sure to express his confidence that our treatment plan was good and would result in a viable pregnancy. This was very reassuring to hear on what was the worst day of our lives. When we were ready, we scheduled another meeting to discuss conducting a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag also performed a saline sonohysterogram to make sure that there were no issues that had not been visible on my HSG or other ultrasounds. He explained the differences between the fresh and frozen cycles and we proceeded (again, a different doctor performed the embryo transfer, but he was great as well). We were once again successful and transferred to the care of our OB at 8 weeks. This second pregnancy resulted in our son, born in August 2016. During all of our appointments, Dr. Omurtag was very comprehensive and understandable in all of his explanations. We were encouraged to ask questions and interrupt him for further explanation. He made us feel very comfortable and definitely made an effort to get to know us as people. He still remembers details about us and our family, even after going 8 months without seeing us. He asked us to keep the practice posted on the outcome of the pregnancy and suggested we visit after our son was born in August 2016. Before that visit, we found out that our son is a carrier for a fatal genetic condition, and Dr. Omurtag was able to give us the basics on how we would proceed if we decide to have a third child.
Trust in the process. It might seem like you are going to endless appointments, tests, scans and blood draws, but they are all necessary. Remind yourself that reproduction is incredibly inefficient and accept that you may never know the exact reason for your infertility without going through multiple cycles of medication, IUI and/or IVF. There are so many factors that it may be very difficult for the docs to pinpoint the exact cause, especially in cases of secondary infertility like ours. It was a two year process, but Dr. Omurtag was a great guide and we ended up with a child, which was the goal of the exercise.
Dr. Omurtag took the time to get to know us and ask about our older son. He and his staff were always available to answer our questions, and made us feel like we were making treatment decisions as a team. When I miscarried at 11 weeks, he happened to be at the hospital and came to see us. He was very sympathetic but also optimistic and encouraging.
See my response from the experience question. We came to Dr. Omurtag with secondary infertility after 6 months of ovulation testing and two cycles of Clomid performed by my OB. Treatment began with an HSG and ultrasounds and bloodwork for me and a semen analysis for my husband. I was diagnosed PCO due to a slightly elevated testosterone level and high ovarian reserve. However, I don't experience any other symptoms and all other testing was normal. Because my cycles were regular and I was ovulating, and because we had successfully conceived and carried to term on our own in the past, we decided to start with IUI. Dr. Omurtag recommended four cycles, because success rates drop off sharply after four IUIs. We ended up doing six cycles, but the last two were done to increase our slim chances of conceiving while we saved up the funds and waited for IVF availability (they only accept a certain number of IVF patients each month). I was prescribed Lupron to aid in the IUI cycles. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact procedures and tests involved with each cycle, other than coming in for a mid-cycle ultrasound to check on follicle ripeness. When the scan was favorable, we scheduled a morning appointment for the IUI. My husband arrived early to provide a semen sample, which was analyzed and prepared and then transferred via a catheter by one of the nurses about an hour later. When IUI proved unsuccessful, we turned to IVF. Dr. Omurtag determined that Long GnRH agonist protocol was the best fit for us. We were required to secure financing and attend a very helpful IVF orientation before proceeding. After completing the drug regimen (which included OCP, Leuprolide, FSH, and hCG trigger), we harvested 23 eggs, 19 of which were viable. Because my husband's sperm count had varied during the IUI cycles, Dr. Omurtag decided to fertilize 10 of the eggs conventionally and 9 of them with ICSI. Only one of the eggs fertilized conventionally, but all 9 of the ICSI were successful. After 3 days of growth, we had several promising embryos, so Dr. Omurtag settled on a day 5 transfer. At that point, there were three exceptionally good transfer candidates. The decision of how many (1 or 2) to transfer was left to us. We chose 2 and one of those successfully implanted. After our miscarriage, we did a frozen cycle with our remaining embryo. Dr. Omurtag performed a saline sonohysterogram to ensure that there were no underlying physical issues with carrying a pregnancy that we might have missed previously (and to ensure that the products of the miscarriage had all been expelled). I'm unable to locate all of my paperwork from this cycle for some reason, but I know that the drug regimen was much less intense and there were fewer injectables. The frozen embryo transfer was again successful and this time I carried to term.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith Woody)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
First I should say that we are extremely satisfied with our experience with the WUSTL Infertility and Reproductive Medicine Center. The doctors, nurses, technicians and staff are all incredibly knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. With the exception of Drs. Omurtag and Odom, all of the staff are female. Prospective patients should know that this is a very large practice with many patients; you may need to be proactive if you're the kind of person who wants to meet directly with your physician regularly. My husband and I felt very comfortable with the staff and our nurse, who was very organized and provided us with lots of detailed written and verbal instructions for our procedures, so not seeing Dr. Omurtag regularly didn't bother us. As stated elsewhere in this review, be aware that the practice doctors take turns handling IVF cases on a monthly basis, so your doctor may not perform your egg retrieval and/or embryo transfer. Your nurse remains the same throughout. Please know that although all of these procedures and protocols seem very intimidating at first, you will receive all the information you need to successfully complete your treatment. The IVF orientation is great, your nurse is available to answer any questions, and detailed information packets are provided every step of the way. If you are doing IUI, be aware that you may need to wait awhile, due to the size of the practice and the unpredictability of patients' cycles. If you do IVF, you may need to wait a cycle or two to get on the schedule. As a working mom, I appreciated that most of the office visits could be done in the morning.
I believe each IUI cycle cost around $600. We financed the IVF cycles through ARC, where we paid $15,000 to cover a fresh and a frozen cycle. Medications were an additional expenses, but a relatively low cost with my insurance. All diagnostic testing was covered under our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
On one occasion, our nurse forgot to call in a medication that was time-sensitive. It was the weekend, but we were able to reach the doctor on call through the after hours line and she called in the prescription. It was partially my fault, as I did not check the bag of prescriptions thoroughly when I picked them up earlier in the week, and did not catch the mistake until the office was closed.
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy...
Everyone in this [Wash U - CWE] clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change...
As the husband, I was the cause of the infertility. Never once did I feel judged, or any less of a person because of my medical issue. Dr Omurtag showed such a great deal of compassion for our situation. He was very professional, very polite, and very realistic. He made sure to take all of our ideas and thoughts into account. Given the difficult situation we were facing, Dr Omurtag always made us feel that we had a good chance at getting pregnant. We felt excited with every visit, even if our treatment had not resulted in a pregnancy.
Come to each appointment with an open mind. We made a decision that, at the time, felt very difficult (using a donor sperm). Looking back, all of the anxieties were for nothing because at the end of the day, we were blessed with the birth of our beautiful child. Dr Omurtag will take care of you, so rest in that comfort.
Dr Omurtag was very kind and patient in discussing our options. He never rushed us out of the office, and took all of our considerations into account. He made sure to follow up with us, both before and after the birth of our child.
In a nutshell, we decided that the only option was to use a donor sperm. We purchased 5 vials (just to have more than enough) and began IUI. Dr. Omurtag wanted to try one cycle of IUI without Clomid. This first cycle and treatment did not result in a pregnancy. For the second cycle, Dr. O started my wife on Clomid and after the second treatment (IUI), we found out we were pregnant.
My wife met most of the nursing staff during her IUI treatments. She never once complained and was always talking about how friendly everyone was. One specific nurse (who's name I am unsure) even took the time to show compassion for what my wife was dealing with and revealed her own personal experience.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
Everyone in this clinic was VERY organized. The whole staff was so fluent and made sure to accommodate your schedule. If we needed to get in last minute, there was always a way to fit you in even during their busiest time. I have not had experience in this matter before, so to me no weaknesses were apparent. I was so pleased with our treatment that I cannot think of anything I would change.
These are not exact, but the cost estimates were: IUI Treatment - Approximately 300 USD Donor Sperm - Approximately 4000 USD (5 Vials) Clomid - Unsure, but not expensive Sperm Analysis - Approximately 150 USD Test to Check Fallopian Tubes - 3000 USD (not covered with insurance)
St. Louis - Central West End

Dr. Omurtag treated us with kindness and compassion from our very first meeting. He decisively laid out details, treatment options and plans always making it known that ultimately the decision was always ours. He never pressured us into making a decision. We never felt rushed during our appointments. Dr. O would stay as long as needed to answer all of our questions. He also called us several times in the evening and on weekends when I had additional questions or concerns about treatments or upcoming procedures. He was truly there to support us through every part of our IVF journey...
The [Wash U - CWE] clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints...The entire nursing staff always promptly returned my calls, answered my questions and took wonderful care of me during visits. They are fantastic...Do not be afraid to ask any and all questions/voice any concerns that you have with him at any time. He patiently listens and answers them all. He NEVER made us feel like a question or concern was dumb or invalid...
As described in my previous response, Dr. Omurtag always made us feel comfortable and never treated us like a number. My husband and I always felt like his descriptions and explanation of treatment options and procedures were easy to understand. It was always obvious that he knew what he was talking about and always had the data and statistics to back it up. His intelligence and success were made even more wonderful when accompanied by his amazing bedside manner. He always greeted us with a smile and an upbeat, optimistic personality. I know he puts in countless hours at the office working with couples just like us, but we never once felt rushed and he never let his exhaustion show (if it even existed at all). He followed up with us and was by our sides every step of the way. After my successful IVF cycle, I brought my son back three months after he was born because Dr. O wanted to meet him and because I missed seeing him! That is the kind of wonderful connection that he creates with his patients. He is a truly special doctor and person and we look forward to seeing him again when it is time to expand our family once more!
I went through four cycles of IUI with chlomid. None resulted in a pregnancy. We then went on to IVF. I was on oral contraceptive birth control for a month, then began the injections to prepare for my egg harvest. After my egg harvest, I had one 'day 5' embryo transferred which resulted in a pregnancy and my beautiful son. For 8 weeks following the transfer, I continued injections of progesterone to ensure proper uterine wall lining.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Meredith)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
The clinic is a peaceful, clean and calm environment. It is easy to find and never crazy or disorganized. No complaints.
We were very fortunate that my insurance covered our medical costs. I had only to pay my 1,200 out of pocked max.

Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I was not a fan of a few of the receptionists [WashU- CWE]. I think one might have been a student, she was our first contact and unfortunately did not know what she was doing. We had a moment of panic when she couldn't find us on the schedule and she always acted somewhat inconvenienced. However, their regular front office lady was always so sweet and warm to us!... Andrea was very caring, understanding and patient. With how many hormonal women she deals with on a daily basis she never let any of my frustrations or emotions frustrate her. I felt comfortable speaking with her about concerns I had and asking questions.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
I really appreciated that Dr. Omurtag was willing to take my husband and I's concerns/opinions into account. He performed a scratch test, which at the time, had only been researched on women who had failed IVF cycles. Knowing the benefits of the scratch test I was adamant that I wanted it done. Dr. Omurtag explained the risks and research but respected our feelings. He was always positive but sure to explain the realistic side of things. He took the time to meet with my husband and I multiple times after our initial doctor left the practice without warning.
To not be afraid to explain your opinions or feelings on the procedure. It is ultimately your body and baby and he is very cognizant of that and won't make you feel intimated about asking questions.
Dr. Omurtag spoke to my husband and I as an individual couple and not as a statistic or in general terms. He sent messages to check on us even after our daughter was born and thanked us for the birth announcements/christmas card we sent.
All of the procedures, aside from the scratch test, were used specifically for someone with my diagnoses and age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Washington University School of Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I was not a fan of a few of the receptionists. I think one might have been a student, she was our first contact and unfortunately did not know what she was doing. We had a moment of panic when she couldn't find us on the schedule and she always acted somewhat inconvenienced. However, their regular front office lady was always so sweet and warm to us! We unfortunately were with WASHU when Dr. Cooper left the practice without notice. We were one of her patients and that was very scary for us. We weren't notified and I found out when I came in for blood work which was not ideal. Thankfully between Andrea contacting us and meeting with Dr. Omurtag things turned around and we are glad we continued our care with them.
I dont remember, somewhere in the range of $15,000 with medication
WASHU's goal is one healthy singleton but there are considerations when making the decision on how many embryos to transfer. In our situation we had one that wasn't a great quality and the embryologist did not think would make to freeze but had a slight chance with transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Washington University School of Medicine?
I am referring to Dr. Coopers abrupt removal(?) or leaving of (?) the clinic and the lack of communication to us about the situation.
St. Louis - Central West End

[Dr. Kenan Omurtag] is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children...First, I had an ultrasound to look at my uterus. I just had an hsg so we looked at the xrays. I had a saline ultrasound to determine how they would get to where they needed to implant. I also had an outpatient surgery to open up my cervix I believe I was on the long agonist protocol. I had to take birth control for 1 month before I began the meds. Everything worked out good and I had day 5 embryos with 38 eggs retrieved. I had 13 embryos frozen and 1 embryo implanted. It took and we have a healthy baby boy.
Kenan is a very nice, enthusiastic doctor who really cares about his patients. He was very detailed and answered any questions we had along the way. He figured out what was wrong with me my very first visit. If it wasn't for him, we probably never would have know I had a unicornate uterus or have any children.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
He treated us like a person and was very compassionate and real with process
They took the time to answer all my questions and were very compassionate towards me.
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
One of the secretaries wasn't very nice when answering questions or over billing issues. It was not the one with brown curly hair, she remembered us and was very nice.
First come first serve. We arrived the time the doors open and usually only had to wait briefly.
He worked very well with Blue Cross out of Illinois. Out of the total of around 30k billed for everything including drug cost we were only responsible for around 2500 bucks plus 700 a year for embryo storage for our frozen embryos.
St. Louis - Missouri Baptist Med Center

He [Dr. Omurtag] was the 2nd doctor that we saw for our issues. we had done other treatments that didn't work. Dr Omurtag really took the time to sit with us and answer questions and go over all of our issues which didn't happen with the other Dr. I felt and still do that Dr Omurtag really helped make this horrible journey enjoyable and I really felt like he was right along with us every step of the way. Checking in on us, answer all of our questions along the way.
The ladies who did my ultrasounds [at Washington University School of Medicine] and blood work were great, I actually miss seeing them since I was there a few times a week. They made me feel comfortable even when you are stressed out with everything going on, I feel like they were all very positive which is what you need
European, Other
He was the 2nd doctor that we saw for our issues. we had done other treatments that didn't work. Dr Omurtag really took the time to sit with us and answer questions and go over all of our issues which didn't happen with the other Dr. I felt and still do that Dr Omurtag really helped make this horrible journey enjoyable and I really felt like he was right along with us every step of the way. Checking in on us, answer all of our questions along the way.
He really cares about his patients and puts you at ease for such a stressful process of trying to conceive
He really took the time to talk with us (husband) and go over our options, what the chances were. He was amazing in taking time to e-mail and call us to check in and see how we were doing, if we had any questions or needed anything. I really felt like he was part of our team
he went over our options and then after doing the testing told us what would be the most successful option for us. I cant recall which treatment it was for IVF but he did let us know that IUIs were not a good option for us and so we didn't consider that again
The ladies who did my ultrasounds and blood work were great, I actually miss seeing them since I was there a few times a week. They made me feel comfortable even when you are stressed out with everything going on, I feel like they were all very positive which is what you need
Describe your experience with Washington University School of Medicine.
I thought it was easy to get in and out of, clean, professional and had top of the line equipment
I never added the total up since we were successful, I don't care the cost since we have a baby now