Medical SchoolNYU
FellowshipMount Sinai
9900 Stirling Rd
Hollywood, FL 33024
954-433-7060
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kenneth Gelman to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
2012 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
Dr. Gelman is clinical enough to give you confidence in your treatment but warm enough to make you feel like a human. He always presented the course of treatment based on evidence and was aggressive with making sure we had the best shot each attempt.... He was protective of the embryos we had created and did extensive immune testing after our second miscarriage to find the root of the issue. It was clear that he was invested in our success.
2012 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kenneth Gelman at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Gelman is clinical enough to give you confidence in your treatment but warm enough to make you feel like a human. He always presented the course of treatment based on evidence and was aggressive with making sure we had the best shot each attempt. He was patient with my barrage of questions and took the time to make me feel confident in our treatments, understand why we were doing things a certain way, and educate me. I left each visit with a solid understanding of why we were doing something.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Gelman at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions. If there's something you dont understand or want to know more about, ask. He will be patient and take the time educating you and explaining the procedures, risks, options, and recommendations. It never felt like I was bothering him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Gelman at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the protocols Kenneth Gelman used in your cycles at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I dont remember, we did use menopur and follistim for my egg retrieval. I had 14 eggs retrieved and that led to 6 5-day embryos. We did a fresh cycle and transferred 2 embryos. I got pregnant but had a miscarriage. We did a frozen cycle and transferred 2 embryos and got pregnant with my son. We did a frozen cycle with one embryo transferred and it was negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Grethel Sanchez)
The nursing team was responsive and caring. They were patient with me and kept me organized.
Describe your experience with IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
I am overall very pleased with the clinic. Despite being a large center, it maintains a personal feel. I did have issues with the financial department - the contract I was supposed to sign had huge errors and I had to argue about having them adjusted. Their legal team did agree with most of my changes and updated the contract for me but it was a frustrating process. The financial team also wasn't clear on when payments were due despite me asking numerous times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Gelman at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
We did a 2 fresh 2 frozen package with ARC fertility and it was around $18,000. I paid my clinic directly for our FET and it was $5,500 without medications. There was a $500 discount for payment with cashier's check.
Describe Kenneth Gelman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine.
During my first to ivf cycles we transferred 2 embryos each time. Both times I got pregnant with one baby. The most recent time we transferred only one embryo b/c I had gestational diabetes with my son and dr gelman had concerns should I get pregnant with multiples. That cycle did not work although he indicated the success rate with 1 vs 2 embryos was not significantly different.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Fortunate enough with his [Dr. Kenneth Gelman's] guidance and wisdom I only had to do the transfer once. He recommended a specific biopsy that would indicate exactly when to do the transfer and how much more of a specific hormone I would neeed and initially I did not want to do it because I did not want to delay the process any further. Again, he didn’t force, only suggest but I did not want to risk doing the transfer and something else came up. After doing that test it showed I needed an extra two days of progesterone as compared to an avg person.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
He was able to answer all of my questions and concerns and even fears with me in detail. When I was frustrated with the process, he would take his time, gave recommendations but never forced ideas or suggestions. There are many other doctors that could have milked this situation for money and made me do certain treatments over and over but he was effiecieny and very knowledgeable. I found myself fortunate to have been referred to him. Great sense of humor by the way!
Have your questions ready to go
I never felt like a number or statistic with him. I loved his sense of humor. There were days that I cried when I found out news I didn’t want to but he always reassured me and gave me hope
Initially we weren’t sure what the problem was, everything appeared normal but I wasn’t able to fertilize. We did fertility drugs first and that didn’t work, then tried iui and realised that didn’t work and then we did specific blood tests, and which showed abnormal levels in hormones which gave me an explanation and some closure. So now it was a matter of rectifying. Fortunate enough with his guidance and wisdom I only had to do the transfer once. He recommended a specific biopsy that would indicate exactly when to do the transfer and how much more of a specific hormone I would neeed and initially I did not want to do it because I did not want to delay the process any further. Again, he didn’t force, only suggest but I did not want to risk doing the transfer and something else came up. After doing that test it showed I needed an extra two days of progesterone as compared to an avg person.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Grethel)
Grethel was unbelievable. I would tell every single person to ask for her. Belkis was also pleasant but that’s abt it. I won’t speak badly about the other one because Grethel was that amazing. She responded to emails in a beyond timely fashion and I considered her to be heaven sent. She compassionate and caring. She showing empathy and was genuine. I cannot emphasize how incredible she is. I would send lots of emails with questions and she answered every single one even on her days off but she cares for her position and her patients. I don’t remember all the other names, but both Jennifer’s also deserve an honorable mention. Both again were great at follow ups and very patient with me and my questions. The nurse who took blood is also an angel. Very gentle and very compassionate. Dylin and Andrea at the front desk/check out are also amazing. Great staff!
Great times that are available I was able to go in at 7.30 then go straight to work. Not sure abt the afternoon availability but I do like the flexibility in morning hours as I did not need to request time off.
What specific things went wrong at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine?
Hollywood
I feel Dr Gelman took a personal interest in our case. He never gave up and was always positive yet honest. I felt that Dr Gelman was easy to talk to and always made me and my husband feel comfortable even in difficult situations. He never made us feel rushed. And returned calls promptly...always took the time to explain treatments in a way we could understand...We transferred 1 and that resulted in a pregnancy which I am currently 5 mo pregnant
Keep an open mind.
Dr Gelman always took the time to explain treatments in a way we could understand. He and his nurses are compassionate and have great empathy for our situation. They treated us like family. With all their hard work we are now pregnant and doing great!
My first stimulation cycle I used Menapur,Gonal F and cetrotide. I believe they retrieved approximated 10 embryos (?) but only 1 lived to day 5. That transferred embryo did not result in a pregnancy. The 2nd stimulation I used ganirelix, follistim, low dose ovidril, cetrotide and lupron. That resulted in 16 embryos retrieved (?) and 4 made it to day 5. 1 transferred and did not result in a pregnancy. The other 3 were PGS and of those 3, 2 were normal. 1 was abnormal and discarded. Of the 2 remaining. We transferred 1 and that resulted in a pregnancy which I am currently 5 mo pregnant. And the other one is frozen for a future transfer.
My nurse and IVF coordinator were amazing. They responded to emails and phone calls very quickly. And patiently reviewed everything until I completely unsterstood it. I had full trust in them.
The only weakness is the wait time on some days. But I guess that’s what happens when you provide great results. Their strengths are consistency and compassion. They do not have a high turn over. Which makes you feel comfortable seeing the same friendly, familiar faces each visit.
Approximately $50,000 total. For stimulations, transfers, testing, IUIs, etc.
I prefer elective single embryo transfer.
Hollywood
Dr Gelman is very thorough and knowledgeable and would take time out to listen to any concern we had during the process which made us feel at ease.... Listen to him and trust that he knows what he is doing. He has been getting women pregnant for eats [years] and has seen it all. He knows how to create the optimum environment for you to conceive so just relax and trust in the process.
I can’t say enough about Dr Gelman at the Cooper City office. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for over a year and had a consultation with Dr Gelman where it was painfully obvious that IVF may be our only option. We were concerned about the price and the odds with IVF but I remember Dr Gelman saying “I can get you pregnant” and that’s EXACTLY what he did. We got pregnant with our first IVF cycle and we couldn’t be happier. Dr Gelman is very thorough and knowledgeable and would take time out to listen to any concern we had during the process which made us feel at ease.
Listen to him and trust that he knows what he is doing. He has been getting women pregnant for eats and has seen it all. He knows how to create the optimum environment for you to conceive so just relax and trust in the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Yvonne Martinez)
The staff is WONDERFUL. Everyone is so nice and remembers details about you so you don’t just feel like a number. I’m an email person and the nurses and coordinators would respond to me within minutes! They are quick and will answer any question you may have or resolve any problem that arises same day even if that means curbsiding Dr Gelman.
The clinic is great. They answer the phone in timely fashion. They can get you scheduled on the date and usually even time you need. They provide reminder calls and make check in super easy by scanning your card. They call you into your appt on time and everything is streamlined. Check out is a breeze.
The cost was what was expected with fertility care. Insurance covered most of my visits so I only had to pay copay. The clinic provided you with nanes of companies who offered fertility treatment bundles at cheaper rate as well as pharmacies that offered medications at lower prices.
Hollywood
He [Dr. Gelman] was very honest and sympathetic to my situation. He took his time to do an ultrasound for me after I got a missed diagnosis... The doctor was very honest and caring when I explain to him my situations and concerns and personally did many of the treatments. I always felt very comfortable throughout all the tests and exams... I always felt very comfortable with him and his ability to treat me and because of the vigilance that he provided I was able to conceive with the one IUI while the previous doctor I used caused me to have to failed IUIs.
He was very honest and sympathetic to my situation. He took his time to do an ultrasound for me after I got a missed diagnosis from the previous doctor because he wanted to verify what the doctor was saying was true and the other doctor was wrong. I always felt very comfortable with him and his ability to treat me and because of the vigilance that he provided I was able to conceive with the one IUI while the previous doctor I used caused me to have to failed IUIs.
Listen to what the doctor is telling you not how he's expressing it because he can be blunt in some ways but I feel like that's the best way that I can and other people can understand the situation.
Each time I would have a doctor's visit the nurses would remember me and ask me how I'm feeling and how is everything going. The doctor was very honest and caring when I explain to him my situations and concerns and personally did many of the treatments. I always felt very comfortable throughout all the tests and exams and compared to the previous doctor I saw this was the best clinic and doctor I've ever had help me with my fertility problems.
From the first day of the consultation the doctor reviewed my test results I brought in and listen to my situation with my previous doctor and failed IUIs. He did an ultrasound during the consultation because he felt that the other doctor may have misdiagnosed me which was true. From that point on he required all the typical fertility and test done which I've had done previously so everything was similar to what I have gone through before. Then on the first IUI cycle, i came in with my period and they did blood work to check my hormone levels then I did my ultrasound and subsequent ultrasounds after that until they saw I was ovulating. Two days before the insemination they provided me the HCG injection and then after that they did the IUI two days later. When they did my last ultrasound they saw that my uterine lining was slightly thin so they put me on estrogen patches. 7 days after the IUI, i came in to do a follow-up blood work they picked up that my progesterone was low and followed up with providing me with progesterone suppositories. With my previous experience in infertility my other doctor did not do any of these tests aside from the ultrasounds and never recommended any supplements. Two weeks after the insemination I conceived which was a first for me and throughout the process of the nine weeks I was monitored with him. I had a slight scare at 5 to 6 weeks. The office did an ultrasound each time I was bleeding and eventually changed my medication because it might have been the reason I was bleeding. Since that time and up until the time I was discharged my pregnancy has been perfect. I honestly feel that without the additional blood works and test and monitoring I would have never conceived and so for this I am extremely grateful to the doctor and his staff for their dedication and compassion to their patients.
I absolutely loved all the nurses and workers in the Cooper City office. Many of them remembered me during my follow-ups and the nurses were extremely sympathetic and understanding to my circumstances. They did their best in helping me with payment and obtaining medication. Also I have to be honest that the nurses were extremely intelligent and knowledgeable in the entire process so I felt very comfortable on asking questions with them as well as the doctor which from previous experience this was not typical.
I think the staff and nurses are exceptional and extremely smart so even when you can't speak to the doctor you can get a lot of answers or better explanations through them. Overall it was pretty easy to make appointments and reach somebody there though it normally took by end of day to get a call back. The wait time was very minimal I was always in and out there from beginning to end within an hour which I absolutely loved. The only downside I can say but in which I'm willing to accept is it is slightly more expensive than the previous doctor I saw but because the results were way more beneficial it's something I'd be willing to do again.
everything was itemized and charged per visit. It could get slightly confusing in what was actually needed compared to what was recommended. In my case I already knew what I had done and so would decline certain treatments or tests because I had already done it. Overall I wish they had more of a streamline cost for IUI that include everything necessary for that cycle and if you needed additional stuff they can explain that further.
Not applicable
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
I had multiple miscarriages and failed IVF in the past. Dr. Gelman discovered an abnormal Natural Killer blood result which is treatable with Intralipid infusions.... Dr. Gelman takes the time to explain your diagnosis and treatment options. I never felt rushed. His staff is friendly and warm. This experience felt more like family than a clinic.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Gelman communicates very well. He went above and beyond my previous RE and found an abnormality which can explain why prior treatment was unsuccessful. This was treatable and he took the appropriate actions/ treatment. We are now 9 weeks pregnant! He definitely knows his patients history and treatment plan and makes you feel like you are his only patient.
Don’t hesitate! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
I had multiple miscarriages and failed IVF in the past. Dr. Gelman discovered an abnormal Natural Killer blood result which is treatable with Intralipid infusions. My former RE had not tested for that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jenny Galan)
Jenny was on top of the plan. She called when necessary to remind me of changes with the medications, etc. She always took my calls and responded within minutes to my emails.
The clinic strengths are that everyone is very positive and knows who you are. They all wishes me good luck the day of my embryo transfer and even came out of their workspaces to wish me well. They are friendly and professional when they call and it was never difficult to reach someone to make an appointment.
The total cost was around $30,000
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Gelman was always very nice. He would e-mail me back with information regarding my test results and was always there if I needed to ask a question...He was very thorough with his explanations. I was given a hystersonogram to check to see if my tubes were blocked but we were never trying to get pregnant we were always going to use a gestational carrier. I thought that was unnecessary for us to have had since I was never going to be carrying the child or trying to get pregnant myself.
1 IVF, Surrogacy
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
He was always very clear on what we should expect and what the entire process would be like. He was very thorough with his explanations. I was given a hystersonogram to check to see if my tubes were blocked but we were never trying to get pregnant we were always going to use a gestational carrier. I thought that was unnecessary for us to have had since I was never going to be carrying the child or trying to get pregnant myself.
Dr. Gelman is always open and honest with any questions you bring to the table. When you go to see him bring every question you have and he will make sure that each question is answered.
They were informative when they did the scans and super nice when I had to have my blood drawn.
There are several locations that you can be seen so if one doctor is out you can see another dr. This is reassuring since you know that you can always be seen by someone. Appointments were always fairly easy to get as well.
We just did preliminary testing with Dr. G. I think we did get the price sheet and with PGS testing and 2 cycles of retrievals was going to be around $22k.
We were wanting 1 baby and we were going to do PGS testing since we were using a gestational carrier. Dr. G stated that he thought we should transfer 2 PGS tested embryos.
Miami
Gelman was open and honest and straight forward but also kind and compassionate understanding that these things are very difficult on women and families. He shared options and opinions and still supported my decisions no matter what...I went to doctor gelman precisely because I felt like a number at another popular fertility practice in south FL. Gelman's office was such a refreshing change to that...Also, I didn't wait nearly as long so the experience was just all around much more pleasant and less intrusive on my life and job.
Ask plenty of questions and don't google too much or compare yourself to others because every fertility issue and every woman's body is different
I went to doctor gelman precisely because I felt like a number at another popular fertility practice in south FL. Gelman's office was such a refreshing change to that. All familiar faces every time I went and everyone sincerely cared. Also, I didn't wait nearly as long so the experience was just all around much more pleasant and less intrusive on my life and job.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Lamb)
I absolutely loved Jennifer. I felt she was straight forward and sincere and showed a huge amount of genuine care and concern. She listened and supported me through the ups and downs
Like every doctor I did have to wait at times, however, it was SO much better than the other place I used to go that I was just a number and waited hours. When making appointments just make sure it isn't a "retrieval " day and you will have minimal wait time.
Miami
Dr. Gelmen and his nurse was well manner made sure I was taking care of when I need prescription that made sure it was in and I gotten them on time...He’s a very good dr. He makes you comfortable and does everything possible to help you get a positive result after on going ivf.....I was but on birth control but stop cause I was getting cyst on ovaries, was put on menopurl, follistim,...They treated me with care, learned my name acknowledge me every visit cared for me and the reason on why I was there
Dr. Gelmen and his nurse was well manner made sure I was taking care of when I need prescription that made sure it was in and I gotten them on time, that stay on top of me to make sure I was doing thing according. They made me feel very welcome and comfortable every dr. Visit. They all wore smiles on the face wishing me best of luck everytime before living my appt.
They was excellent
The clinic was well kept everything about the clinic was great from the nurses to the dr. They also let you know the pros and cons. Their positive from your first visit to the last. The dr. Do all blood work to make sure you’re in the clear of everything.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Kenneth is a very enthusiastic and passionate about his work he will always give me good advice like taking specific vitamins and he believes in Oriental medicine as well. He is a very open doctor but at the same time grounded...He was always very caring about me.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Believe in him
He was always very caring about me.
I don't recall.
They really explain in details all instructions and they are always there for you when you need them.
The weakness of the clinic is to actually get a hold of the nurses when you need them by phone. I found they would answer me right away through email so I stick to that form of communication. Among the good things are that the clinic has very nice atmosphere in the waiting area they offer water, tea, and coffee.
My insurance helped me. I want to say that this is for the COOPER CITY Clinic not NAPLES
Naples
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Doctor Gelman was always a phone call away if I did have questions. Quirky but friendly deamenor, while being able to always speak the truth....Very caring staff. Could call or email a nurse and/or doctor and get a call back within an hour or two. New me by name, asked a friend about after I was discharged.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Doctor Gelman was always a phone call away if I did have questions. Quirky but friendly misdeamenor, while being able to always speak the truth.
Ask him to speak up or clarify if need be.
BCP, Menopur, follistim, ganirelix, triggered with Lupron and low dose hsg due to risk of OHSS. Freeze all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVFMD South Florida Institute For Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Yvonne)
Answered all questions. Gave thorough instructions. Always a phone call/email away.
Strength: friendly, efficient, caring Weakness: can have long wait times.
A variety of packages depending on services required