Medical SchoolTulane
2500 W. William Cannon
Austin, TX 78745
2200 Park Bend Drive
Austin, TX 78758
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kenneth K. Moghadam to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Austin Fertility Institute to a friend?
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
He [Dr. Moghadam] tells it like it is. He's compassionate without being unrealistic or condescending. I like his bedside manner a lot. He's not the type to sugar coat things or sit and hold your hand, but not everyone wants or needs that type of doctor. However, he will make sure you have answers to all your questions and explains each step... He used oral and injectable medications right away. When I questioned this, he said his experience showed a better outcome and gave me specific examples of how my case fit this protocol.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He tells it like it is. He's compassionate without being unrealistic or condescending. I like his bedside manner a lot. He's not the type to sugar coat things or sit and hold your hand, but not everyone wants or needs that type of doctor. However, he will make sure you have answers to all your questions and explains each step.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Wait times are extensive, but when it is your turn, the care you receive somehow makes you forget the wait. Go into it open and willing to listen to options. However, don't feel like you need to do something you are not interested or comfortable doing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Everyone in the office is caring. They use your name, know your history, and treat you like a person. They always spend time with you each appointment.
Describe the protocols Kenneth K. Moghadam used in your cycles at Austin Fertility Institute and their degree of success.
ur priority was to get me ovulating. He used oral and injectable medications right away. When I questioned this, he said his experience showed a better outcome and gave me specific examples of how my case fit this protocol. He had "criteria" he explained about number of spontaneous ovulations in a year dictating if oral vs oral + injectable meds worked best. After 4 rounds of this with a surgery in the middle (adhesions were found), we decided to take a break from treatments. We were not ready to go to IVF and that was his recommendation. He said further IUIs would not be worth the cost for our situation because I was responding to the medications beautifully but still not conceiving. A few weeks later, I had a spontaneous pregnancy that ended up being in my tube. He treated me (doing betas, early ultrasound, basically treating me like I was still his patient even though I had technically said goodbye to him the month before). At this point I got the push I needed to pursue IVF. He provided details about our expected outcome of IVF stimulation - estimating the number of eggs. I appreciated that he said he gives each patient a personalized "low number" that he likes to see before he cancels a cycle. He detailed the lab side of things talking about when we would receive updates and what details would be provided. We discussed the benefits and negatives of doing a Freeze All vs a Fresh cycle. We chose a freeze all and it was a good choice for us because I responded well to the meds and would have been at risk for overstimulation otherwise. He provided a recommendation and fairly detailed reasons why when we were trying to determine if we should transfer 1 vs 2. For my FET, it was a long prep time. That is always a bummer to have MORE waiting after so long, but Dr M explained it all. Because of the crazy high hormone levels post-retrieval, I needed Lupron and birth control pills for a month or so. We started estrogen supplements and all seemed to go well, but then my body messed up and my lining was not good enough to transfer. We had to cancel and Dr. M promised me we'd get it right next go. He got me back on board really quick (we only lost 3 weeks) and added in IM estrogen shots because my body was metabolizing the oral estrogen too quick he said. He gave me a choice of progesterone options and we chose a combination of PIO and Crinone. He said he really liked this combo and had great results with it, but PIO alone was a cost effective solution. (He was sensitive to our finances in understanding we could not do all crinone due to cost). Our first transfer was a success.
They are all very sweet, caring, and helpful. They know you and remember details to make it seem more personal.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
ave not been to other clinic(s) in town so I can't really speak towards comparison, but I chose Dr. M and AFI because of the individualized attention and treatment plan. I also picked him because he was ready to get me started immediately and did not make me go through a bunch of hoops to become a patient. For something so personal as fertility treatments to build your family, you need to be comfortable with the doctor and nurses. You WILL spend a lot of time with them and put a great deal of trust in them. I have always felt very comfortable and well taken care of here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute.
e provided a price list (cash patient pricing) at my first visit for Timed Intercourse and IUI cycles ($500-$1500 depending on type of medication used and TI vs IUI) He provided a list of costs for IVF at my IVF consult appointment. ($10-12K depending on fresh vs frozen - FETs around $3K)
Describe Kenneth K. Moghadam's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Austin Fertility Institute.
He used my age, the lab results, and finances to propose a recommendation for # of embyros to transfer. He said between my age and the lab results he really did not have a strong preference or suggestion. At nearly 36, he said two made a lot of sense (not genetic tested). Because our embryos looked so great in the lab and we had extras frozen, he said we should start with 1. Finally he did mention costs and if doing a 2nd transfer would be a large burden we should go with 2 as long as we were open to twins. After all that information he said his "soft recommendation" would be a single transfer, but he had no hesitations or judgement if we chose 2. (we did choose 2)
Austin Park Bend
He [Dr. Moghadam] is less accommodating about questions that do not exactly confirm his line of thinking. Examples: the question of when to inject sperm after the trigger in IUI. He says it doesn't matter, Cochrane review says the evidence is poor to asses the issue. He almost took offense with me when I mentioned that. I don't mean to be a nosy, know-all patient, but I have too many friends that are medical doctors to know that lots of issues are not as straightforward as some of them are trying to present them.
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
He is very competent and uses a straightforward language to describe his thought process. He is less accommodating about questions that do not exactly confirm his line of thinking. Examples: the question of when to inject sperm after the trigger in IUI. He says it doesn't matter, Cochrane review says the evidence is poor to asses the issue. He almost took offense with me when I mentioned that. I don't mean to be a nosy, know-all patient, but I have too many friends that are medical doctors to know that lots of issues are not as straightforward as some of them are trying to present them.
Bring your laptop and work in his office while waiting if you can. Be persistent in asking questions and don't take his reluctance to address ambiguities personally.
His clinic is impossibly busy. Wait periods are anywhere from 30mins to two hours.
He used Femara + Folistin+Ovidrel for trigger for IUI. I did 4 IUI's with him. Number of mature eggs were 6-2-3-4 I had chemical pregnancy in my third try and pregnancy (and live birth) in my fourth try. For IVF, he used Femara + Folistin+ Menopure + Lupron for trigger. I had 18 eggs extracted, 13 were mature, 6 embryos survived to be PGS-ed, none of them was valid (all were aneuploid) He adjusted the dose once during my second IUI - that resulted in only two mature eggs.
Weakness is the overall weakness of the clinic : too many patients in one day. No level of organization can handle that volume. Another thing the annoyed me: the clinic wanted me to buy my IVF medicine before the teaching session. So I was supposed to shell out thousands of dollars for medicine and don't have a clue what is it for and if the amounts are appropriate. They should reverse the order of that.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
Same as the nursing staff and doctor: too many patients, too large of a waiting time. The staff is nice, professional and accommodating most of the time. Things may have changed as they have another doctor on staff, and I hope this doesn't mean they just took on more patients.
$1500 per IUI, I don't remember exactly his fee for IVF. With failed IVF, I got two free IUI's.
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
I am still in the beginning stages of our treatment. Up until now, I feel he is extremely knowledgeable and truly is passionate about his field. He has been very educative on anything we were not clear on, taking other ways to provide clarity. The alternative would be a Dr. who would make a patient feel as if there was no need to explain since they likely wouldn't understand anyway. He is willing to explain something in as many ways necessary to bring you up to speed, as well as to ease any concerns, even if he has stated he isn't concerned with a particular issue for your case. He doesn't appear to hold anything back, which I think is great. For some he may seem too blunt, but really with an issue such as infertility there is no better way to get to the root of what treatment will be best and why. It's possible you may wait longer than you'd like for your appointment, but again he takes his time with whoever he is currently treating so that is a given and you are afforded the same. He has stayed as late as almost 8pm on a Fri evening just educating and answering questions for us. He has also provided direct access to him for anything outside of normal business hours should we need to reach him.
Understand that it's about your fertility, you have options and need understanding. He can provide that, and should. Don't expect an overly compassionate personality, he is an expert and is driven by data and how he can move forward. Expect appointments to run late, but know you won't be rushed either.
The office is quite busy, taking that into consideration I do feel I am known as a patient and there is specific focus on me and my case at anytime with the Dr. He is able to recall previous visits and concerns and readdress them or casually comment on something unrelated to our visit that we share in common. The care team has always been attentive and truly seem to want to see this succeed as well. The cost of being treated as a human, is all other patients are as well so there have been multiple occasions where the visits run long, which can put a time lag for other appointments.
They seem to remember who I am and will always reiterate or further explain anything i need help remembering. They make the experience hospitable and are compassionate.
Austin Park Bend
he [Dr. Moghadam] gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him that evening and he would answer any questions or concerns that I had and would explain in more detail why he thought a frozen transfer was the way to go. I called him that evening and he spent around 30 minutes explaining things to me and making sure that I understood his reasoning and was on board with doing what he thought best.
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
Dr. Moghadam was very no nonsense and very confident, which I liked because he believes in what he does and his ability to help you achieve a pregnancy. I never felt like he was rushing to move on to the next patient and addressed all of my concerns. When I discovered that he suggested that I freeze all embryos and do a frozen cycle, I was devistated and he was behind on his schedule, but he gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him that evening and he would answer any questions or concerns that I had and would explain in more detail why he thought a frozen transfer was the way to go. I called him that evening and he spent around 30 minutes explaining things to me and making sure that I understood his reasoning and was on board with doing what he thought best.
relax and remember that everyone else in the office is there for the same thing thing. If He is running late, it is because he gives his all to his patients and sometimes that means things take longer than expected.
While they see many patients a day, everyone was always very friendly, welcoming and remembered specific things about my life. I also saw Dr. Moghadam at every appointment.
I do not remember the specific protocols and medication dosage used.
They were all very friendly and helpful. They remembered details about our lives and would ask questions about us at every appointment, they were also very apologetic anytime things were running behind.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
There are days when things are very behind and your appointment may not start until 30 minutes after your appointment time. The waiting room was fairly small at the time I went and sometimes it would be Jam packed. They did create a calm waiting room experience.
I do not remember the specifics of the breakdown, but the egg retrieval and transfer was around $11,000. Since I had to do a frozen transfer instead of a fresh transfer, part of the initial payment went to pay for my frozen transfer
Dr. Moghadam suggested a single embryo transfer for us. We opted to transfer two embryos and he went over why he thought one would be better, ie the quality of the embryos were so good that he thought there was a high chance of them both implanting and he just wanted us to have a healthy, safe pregnancy.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
I first started birth control [with Dr. Moghadam] and then the Antagonist Protocol. I took 75 menopur, and 375 Gonal F. The bcp over suppressed me, and we had to cancel that cycle on Day6. The next cycle, we left out the birth control pills and it was smooth sailing all the way. My prescription was the same, but this tine I showed ten good follicles, one was pretty dominant. The dominant follicle would have to be sacrificed, because the others were all pretty synchronized. We added Cetrotide to prevent ovulation and allow the others to grow. I ended up with 11 eggs, nine mature, nine fertilized normally.
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
I felt that he was very honest, but also a pessimist. My IVF outcome was better than he predicted. Dr M mentioned cancelling my cycle again, but it turned out to be a great cycle. The doctor definitely knows what he is doing, and I would absolutely trust him with another IVF cycle, if necessary.
Be patient and trust him. He gives his patients one on one attention, therefore the waits are usually long.
I never felt like a number here, but the waiting was annoying. The doctor was late to every appointment.
I first started birth control and then the Antagonist Protocol. I took 75 menopur, and 375 Gonal F. The bcp over suppressed me, and we had to cancel that cycle on Day6. The next cycle, we left out the birth control pills and it was smooth sailing all the way. My prescription was the same, but this tine I showed ten good follicles, one was pretty dominant. The dominant follicle would have to be sacrificed, because the others were all pretty synchronized. We added Cetrotide to prevent ovulation and allow the others to grow. I ended up with 11 eggs, nine mature, nine fertilized normally. I'm very happy with the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Lisa was sweet, Michelle & Priscilla, too)
They are all the sweetest ladies in the world. They treat you like family, and remember your name. My faves are Lisa, Priscilla, and Michelle.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The only weakness is the long wait times. Their strengths are the personalized treatment and care. When your turn comes, you'll feel like the only patient they have.
I have fertility insurance, so I can't answer.
No comment here
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
At the first appointment, he [Austin Fertility Institute] took his time but appointments there after it was in and out after very long wait times.... He was the first fertility doctor I saw and when I did 2 iuis with him, he never mentioned that my lining was thin or try to change any protocols to help with the lining. I only found out by looking at my medical records.... The long wait times sometimes an hour. He was running two locations and must have been stretched thin.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Kenneth K. Moghadam at Austin Fertility Institute?
To make sure you ask as many questions to ensure you are receiving the right care.
At the first appointment, he took his time but appointments there after it was in and out after very long wait times.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Austin Fertility Institute. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Jamie did a great job to make sure to communicate as much information and provided updates to me. She always asked me how I was doing and showed so much compassion.
Describe your experience with Austin Fertility Institute.
The long wait times sometimes an hour. He was running two locations and must have been stretched thin. The doctor should be more open about potential issues as in how important lining is for implantation. How can you move forward with two IUIs with a patient without informing them that their lining was very thin?
$1500 for IUI medication and I don't recall the cost for the procedure as insurance covered most of it.
Austin Cannon Drive