Kaiser Permanente Sacramento

Medical SchoolLoma Linda U.
ResidencyWilliam Beaumont
FellowshipJohns Hopkins
1600 Eureka Road
Roseville, CA 95661
1650 Response Road
Sacramento, CA 95815
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kenneth Vu to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kaiser Permanente Sacramento to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu is very direct and blunt. I like getting all the facts, but I don’t like them delivered in a cold way. I would say he was a little cold. I also feel like because I am only 26, he really didn’t listen to my concerns or questions because, “I have lots of time and have a good response to fertility medicine”. It made me feel like he wasn’t listening to me and kind of just brushing me off. It was upsetting because although I am young, I have still been trying to have a baby for two years and it’s really hard and an emotional time. I felt like I just didn’t connect with him personally. It is important for me to feel “connected” to my Dr. because we see them so often, and they are such a huge part of our life during TTC.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
If you want straight forward answers and no sugar coating from a Dr. who is very knowledge go to Dr. Vu.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I think Dr. Vu was very upfront and honest. He was very blunt with me. Some people like that, some don’t. I appreciate blunt facts, however I do like some sort of warmth. He didn’t offer a lot of warmth. I can tell he is very knowledgeable and really knows his stuff, but his bedside manner turned me off from him. I stopped going to him after two cycles because I didn’t like the way he delivered things and I didn’t feel like I could ask him questions.
Describe the protocols Kenneth Vu used in your cycles at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento and their degree of success.
I did two cycles with Dr. Vu. The first cycle I did 2mg of Femara and five days of Menopur with a trigger shot of Ovidrel. I had one smallish/normal egg and I did ovulate but I got a big cyst on my other ovary. So I had to wait out a cycle and when I came back I wanted to up my dosage because it seemed like I just didn’t respond well. He did not agree because I am so young he said he wanted to take a conservative approach and that one egg was all I needed. I did one more cycle with the same protocol and same results minus the cyst. I ovulated both times (confirmed by ultrasound) but neither time resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: RN Anjali Sharma)
I absolutely love the nurses and staff at Kaiser in Sacramento. I wasn’t a big fan of Dr. Vu, but the nurses are amazing. I couldn’t recommend them high enough.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I love Kaiser in Sacramento and I am continuing my treatment with them, but with a different Dr. They are fantastic. They are organized and really care about their patients. I think the only piece of advice I can give is that you have to be your own health advocate. I am the one that has to call and schedule my own appointments and ask for ultrasounds/blood work. They do not call you. Also you have to leave a message because they don’t answer their phones, but their response time is pretty fast. Overall it’s a wonderful clinic and I trust them, which is really important.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Everything was out of pocket. Our insurance does not cover infertility so all costs are out of pocket unfortunately.
Describe Kenneth Vu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I have not done that yet.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child.... Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was the one that really was able to explain my husband’s infertility issues with us. We had a private consultation with Dr. Vu and he considered all of our tests and labs and let us know that IVF with ICSI were our best chance. He told us IUI would be a low success rate and he wouldn’t bother. I appreciated his honest opinion and after my husband and I doing our homework we agreed. Dr. Vu describes my husband’s low motility with a great analogy “you trying to get pregnant naturally is like a team of soccer players with no legs”. Honestly this analogy resonated with us and it all kind of clicked for us. My husband and I are both sports people so it was perfect for us. The only thing that I would say was frustrating was during my ultrasound appointments leading up to egg retrieval, he would come into the room and wiz through my appointment and then scoot out to the next patient. He is extremely busy and I know this, but a tiny bit more time would be calming and appreciated. At my egg retrieval he was obviously more present and explained everything to my husband and I. Have not had a transfer yet, but will schedule for later this year.
Ask all your questions!! We all have a ton going through this process, speak up he is friendly and will let you know the answer. It might be straightforward but he has the answers to most.
Dr. Vu sees a lot of patients always bouncing from one to the next. I was warned that he is very scientific about the process, “ very doctor like” and gives it to you straight, which I appreciate but others have found insensitive. All I care about is if he can get us our end result, a child. The Nurse case managers are wonderful though and really take the time to be personal and answer all of my questions. They also are able to directly get a response from Dr. Vu if I need one.
We were a make factor infertility case and I was already showing a high follicle count prior to beginning meds. He wanted to make sure that I progressed appropriately but also took into consideration that I was high risk for OHSS. He kept my meds at the minimum needed and adjusted accordingly. He ended up having us do a freeze all to try and avoid OHSS and give us the best chance for success. He wanted my body to have a natural menstrual cycle and get rid of all the medications prior to transfer the embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: There was a team of Nurse Case Managers. Kathy and Laurel were the two I worked with the most.)
The nurse case managers were wonderful! They answer phone calls and emails within a few hours or by the next morning. They really take the time to explain everything and have tissues ready when needed for those emotional appointments. At my egg retrieval I was slightly anxious and ended up having an allergic reaction to a form of penicillin and my RN was so amazing and compassionate when I had to leave my husband and go to the procedure room. She held my hand until I was out under. I can not speak more highly of the nurses!!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The scheduling process has a long wait list sometimes for transfer or egg retrieval. It’s essentially first to pay gets a spot. So the waiting was frustrating at times. Other than that, no complaints or comments.
We did IVF with ICSI totaling about $12,000. Our meds were an additional $3800 after a rebate we received from the drug company based on our income. We then later found out we needed to do frozen transfer which is an additional $1690. I have been told that if our first frozen cycle does not result in a live birth, Kaiser will cover a second frozen transfer for us.
Dr. Vu made it clear he likes, one healthy baby and one healthy mama. I originally went in with the idea that I wanted to transfer 2, he stressed his recommendation that because I am younger and very healthy he would only transfer one at a time to avoid complications during pregnancy. I am also pre-diabetic so he especially urged one embryo transfer.
Sacramento
Ask all the questions you want because he [Dr. Vu] is very patient and easy to talk to...We did the IUI the day after I got a positive ovulation test. At the time I was only testing for ovulation in the morning, and the Iui was done the following morning. I think the 24 hour wait was too long...Dr. Vu was to the point yet kind. He made the situation easier to handle. Of all of the IUIs I received his was the only one that wasn’t painful. I have a tilted uterus, so it is hard for the doctors to get a smooth catheter insertion.
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu was to the point yet kind. He made the situation easier to handle. Of all of the IUIs I received his was the only one that wasn’t painful. I have a tilted uterus, so it is hard for the doctors to get a smooth catheter insertion. I let Dr. Vu know that previous doctors had trouble and he said ‘what kind of trouble?’ While inserting and then I told him and he said, ‘well, we didn’t have that kind of triuble, because I’m already done and you didn’t even know it was in’!
Ask all the questions you want because he is very patient and easy to talk to.
Mr Vu was pleasant and kind. He was even able to make light of the difficult situation we were in.
Dr Vu found a sizeable cyst on my ovary the first month so he recommended we do not do clomid. The second month the cyst had shrunk to a safe size and we proceeded with the clomid. We paired this with an IUI because my husband has male factor infertility as well. Test showed he has very high viscosity. My diagnosis is occasional short periods. Dr. Vu had me on the smallest dose of clomid to make sure My ovaries weren’t being stimulated much, just that the clomid would ensure my period was long enough that an egg could attach if the IUI resulted in a fertilized egg. We did the IUI the day after I got a positive ovulation test. At the time I was only testing for ovulation in the morning, and the Iui was done the following morning. I think the 24 hour wait was too long. The time that I had an IUI and clomid resulting in a healthy pregnancy I tested for ovulation in the evening and got a positive and the IUI was the following morning. There was a longer opportunity for fertilization.
The nurses were very kind and compassionate. They made us feel comfortable and encouraged.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
A strength would be the amazing medical team and their expertise. A weakness would be their hours of operation and not seeing the same doctor every visit. Make sure you follow the instructions for bringing semen from home or else you will have to reschedule and it may cause you to have to skip that month.
Total we did 3 months of IUIs and 2 months I’d clomid and the cost after insurance was less than $1500.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I really appreciated Dr. Vu's directness. He didn't sugar coat things and was very honest about what he felt my chances were with each procedure...we loved his sense of humor and ability to lighten the mood. He also took time to explain procedures to my Mother when she came to one of my appointments..I would not recommend Dr. Vu to someone who was very sensitive or didn't have a good sense of humor.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
I really appreciated Dr. Vu's directness. He didn't sugar coat things and was very honest about what he felt my chances were with each procedure. As I mentioned earlier we loved his sense of humor and ability to lighten the mood. He also took time to explain procedures to my Mother when she came to one of my appointments.
I would not recommend Dr. Vu to someone who was very sensitive or didn't have a good sense of humor. He is very direct and doesn't sugar coat things.
Dr. Vu has a great sense of humor and really put me and my spouse at ease. The infertility process is so painful and he truly made it more bearable.
Dr. Vu was very direct with me from the beginning, he felt IVF was my very best choice for success. He did however walk me through the steps of the most inexpensive procedures to the most expensive so we started with clomid only with the first pregnancy, and moved to clomid with IUI for the second. My next course of action would have been IVF if I didn't get pregnant. I appreciated his honesty about my chances with each procedure.
I do not remember any of the Nursing Team's names but they were always very professional and compassionate. One day my blood pressure was off the chart and the Nurse knew her presence was causing it. She walked out of the room and had me take the test without a nurse presence. I thought that was really great on the job thinking. My actual IVF procedure was performed by another Dr. and she was wonderful, I wish I remembered her name but I truly want to thank both her and Dr. Vu for our success!
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The only negative about the Sacramento Fertility Center is that there isn't always someone at reception to answer questions. Other than that I thought they were fabulous. Another part I wish was a little different is that there isn't much follow through after you have success. I with the fertility clinic was a little more involved after you become pregnant as it is a very scary time.
The clomid and initial procedures were about $900 with my insurance. By the time I had the IUI I was on my Husbands insurance and it was only about $1,000
2013
Dr. Vu always made time to see or talk to me if I had any questions. I never felt like my questions were seen as dumb or unimportant to him. He made sure that we knew exactly what steps we were going to take next, what the possible outcomes were and what we could do following those outcomes.... We did IVF with ICSI. We started with birth control and then stims. I was overdeveloping eggs and so Dr. Vu altered the amount of meds I was taking and that helped a lot. I
2013
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Dr. Vu made the entire experience easy and less stressful. I never felt like he was hiding anything from us. He was very straight forward about our options and the risk factors. I'm trying to think of any shortcomings to include in my review, and I honestly cannot think of any.
Always ask any questions you have even if you feel like they are stupid questions. I promise, he will never make you feel like they are dumb questions. He will validate everything you say and make sure that you fully understand everything that is happening.
We did IVF with ICSI. We started with birth control and then stims. I was overdeveloping eggs and so Dr. Vu altered the amount of meds I was taking and that helped a lot. I was able to get 18 eggs and of those, 5 made it to blastocyst stage. I had 2 eggs implanted and one took. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel Meier, Lori Hansen and Christy Hanson)
I had one main nurse and then two others that I also communicated with. The nurses I had main contact with were Lori, Laurel and Christie. These ladies were what sold me on using Kaiser Sacramento when I was doing consultations. They were so friendly and hopeful and kind. In a situation where you are stressed and worried all the time, having a smiling face great you every appointment helps so much. I still bring my daughter to visit them sometimes.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The clinic was wonderful throughout the whole process. I felt like everyone worked together as a team and wanted to do everything they could to get me the baby I needed. From the receptionist to the embryologist, everyone approached this in a very organized, optimistic manner. I would use them if I ever went through this process again.
The cost was high but we knew that going in. We did not have insurance that covered this but billing worked with us to keep costs down as much as possible.
Dr. Vu wanted me to do the eSET and I understand why he would have wanted that. After doing a lot of research we talked to him and told him we would like to do 2 embryos. Dr. Vu was okay with that and we ended up implanting two.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I felt like dr Vu really listened to my concerns and answered all my questions. We built a great repertoire with Dr. Vu...He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
European, East Asian, Ashkenazi Jewish
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He is an extremely knowledgeable and honest doctor. He will be straight forward and direct and not sugarcoat things. I like that about him. He’s very funny and has a great sense of humor. The longer you work with him the more comfortable the relationship gets. He is extremely professional and works quickly, but will take the time to address questions and concerns at anytime if you have them. He will answer them so you can understand and use analogies to further explain his answer.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions or connect with him and ask him how his weekend was or something like that. He is an extremely nice man. He works for a corporation that works him hard and he has to be quick because of that. But it doesn’t negate that he is extremely smart and knows what he is talking about.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento. (Assigned nurse: Laurel)
The nursing staff is friendly and caring and will answer any questions you have.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
They sometimes run behind, but they are very nice and friendly. They are very busy. They have this all down to a science and they run like a well oiled machine. You do have to call and leave a message with your nurse, and they will call you back. It is hard to get a live person, but that’s because they’re so busy. They are extremely good about calling you back quickly
We paid about $10,300 for IVF, icsi was about $1600. Meds were about $5500
He let me decide but gave his opinion on what we should do.
Sacramento
I thought Dr Vu was extremely professional at all times, he is straight forward and we both appreciated those qualities. Secondly, he was very compassionate and offered realistic aspects of hope for our situation.... Understand that Dr Vu is not going to sugar coat the facts, he wants you to have a clear understanding of your chances to the best of his knowledge. Once you realize that aspect, everything else falls into place.
European, East Asian
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He was very nice, straight to the point, and at all times i felt like i was with a professional who was being honest with us
Off the top of my head I do not, it was a long process. But I can say that I checked, and double checked everything we went through (with secondary resources) and at every point Dr Vu was explaining was right on point. Anytime we had a question, he was very thorough in the details of his responses
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
We used Kaiser, they are a corporate entity. Professional, they have certain protocols that are outlined very specifically and there is not much you can do about them. We are happy with Kaiser... something a new patient would want to know about kaiser is that you can not move forward until you pay. Once you pay you can then get on a waiting calendar depending on how many people sign up ahead of you , you may have to wait a month to get on a cycle
Kaiser costs 15k
To know knowledge he did not, it was more adapt as you go kinda of approach. The more information he had (the further into the process) dictated which way the process would go.
Sacramento
He [Dr. Vu] took the time to joke with me and make me laugh during treatment. He could tell I was very nervous and him taking the time to have amazing beside manner made the process so much easier. There was no pain with the iui he completed for me which is a HUGE plus!... I did a cycle of femara and an iui with my husband's sample.... I'm always very nervous for my iuis and he took to time to joke with me and make me laugh.
Latino, Other
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Kenneth was amazing. I'm always very nervous for my iuis and he took to time to joke with me and make me laugh. As we all know, some doctors have horrible bedside manners and he was amazing. Such a breath of fresh air.
Don't be nervous, you're in good hands.
He took the time to joke with me and make me laugh during treatment. He could tell I was very nervous and him taking the time to have amazing beside manner made the process so much easier. There was no pain with the iui he completed for me which is a HUGE plus!
I did a cycle of femara and an iui with my husband's sample. It did not result in a pregnancy, although I was hopeful, that was expected.
The nursing staff has always been very sweet to me and accommodating. Although I have not gotten the results I wanted (baby), they make it more comfortable and not a nightmare place to be. Fertility clinics are a sad/hopeful place to be and they make me feel hope, love those ladies.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
I love this clinic! There was a little miscommunication during an iui with another Dr which almost got my you canceled but it ended up working out. The nurses are amazing and so are the Drs. Everyone is so compassionate and helpful. If I have questions, I can call or email and they set my mind at ease.
I have been very fortunate to have my iuis covered minus a $30 copay, but ivf is completely uncovered.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Very professional and fact base. He [Dr. Vu] knows his information. Unfortunately the group has no inhouse donors and it would cost a lot to go through tests again (even after you pick one from another company and they are tested there)...I went through IVF using injectables and donor sperm. I was sent a picture of the fertilized eggs (when I showed them to another fertility doctor at a different clinic, they were surprised they used them)
11 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
Very professional and fact base. He knows his information. Unfortunately the group has no inhouse donors and it would cost a lot to go through tests again (even after you pick one from another company and they are tested there)
Know exactly what you want
He told the facts but was not as personable as another doctor in that office that only did the IUIs
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Very friendly and helpful. I also had a diabetic nurse available (I was diagnosised as prediabetic and had to get that under control). I could call and email at any time to get questions answered.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
Small clinic that you did have to wait a bit to see the doctors. Very friendly and helpful staff. Not an up to date waiting room but the equipment in the back looked up to date. Bring a book when you come and wait because wifi is spotty and they have a vcr to show old movie part of the time.
You pay for the medicine on your own, usually through Walgreens. You pay the IVF fees before the procedure. Around $12000
IVF, Surrogacy
He [Dr. Kenneth Vu] was very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I felt comfortable with him. Dr. Vu was funny and knew how to lighten the mood while dealing with a very sensitive situation. My only complaint is that I felt like the appointments were rushed...I was the surrogate for my sister in law and brother in law. I was on birth control pills to synch up with my sister in law's cycle, estrogen pills, baby asparin and progesterone shots.
IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Kenneth Vu at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?
He was very knowledgeable and trustworthy. I felt comfortable with him. Dr. Vu was funny and knew how to lighten the mood while dealing with a very sensitive situation. My only complaint is that I felt like the appointments were rushed.
Be up front and don't hold back on asking questions about the process.
I felt like I was a human during treatment until the last appointment before they let me loose to my own doctor.
They forgot to tell that I needed to give a blood sample during my appointments after the transfer and I had to come back after leaving. They were very nice otherwise.
Describe your experience with Kaiser Permanente Sacramento.
The coordinator was very helpful. She was really responsive and a great advocate. She didn't make me feel like my questions were stupid and when I had an excessive amount of bleeding after my first ultrasound after the transfer, she was kind and compassionate.
I don't know. I was the surrogate and the intended parents took care of the billing.
The only thing I remember about it is that he didn't want to transfer more than two embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Kaiser Permanente Sacramento?