Medical SchoolVanderbilt
FellowshipUCSD
1000 E. Park Blvd.
Boise, ID 83712
208-342-5900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kevin Maas to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Dr. Maas truly is one of the kindest people I’ve met. He’s an amazing listener, patient and made me feel so cared for during the process of IVF....Dr Maas knew exactly what do to and when do things necessary for treatment. Weather that meant adjusting medications, having conversations about results etc. He made sure I knew that through the planned protocol he wanted me to have a baby and it was important to him. Medications used were birth control, menopure, gonal, and leuprolide for ivf portion.
How was your experience with Kevin Maas at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Maas truly is one of the kindest people I’ve met. He’s an amazing listener, patient and made me feel so cared for during the process of IVF. He was always happy to see me and made sure I felt like he knew me personally ever time we spoke. I’m so greatful for him and his willingness to help us have a family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kevin Maas at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Trust him 100%! Know that he has your best intentions, and has the same goals as you do! Believe in him and the process.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kevin Maas at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
All of my concerns were validated and heard. I truly feel like he took the time to understand what I was going through and was able to emplithize with me. He was able to help me understand the process fully and made sure that I knew all available information.
Describe the protocols Kevin Maas used in your cycles at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Hilton )
Great! Amazing at responding to messages and phone calls. Always willing to help. Very knowledgeable in the process.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I love this clinic! They made me feel like a human instead of someone who’s broken. Always willing to help, always willing to accommodate. You can truly tell that they love what they do. Besides the obvious reasons of being there I look forward to meeting and talking with the staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kevin Maas at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
With costs of medications and treatment I’m estimating $22,000. We chose to do icsy and pgs testing
Describe Kevin Maas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
He felt very confident in each single embryo transferred. I appreciated that he was confident in his approach with me to help me carry a baby. I also appreciated that he treated my case individually instead of a one type fits all.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Maas remembers who I am and certain details. He never rushed me when I had a million questions. And whenever I called with a question or concern he spoke to me with care.... He also always had a slideshow to explain the process which is good for me because I am a visual person. He took his time and always made sure I understood every step we were taking.... We were going to start IUI but we had to go through some test and blood work first.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
He is very detailed. He also always had a slideshow to explain the process which is good for me because I am a visual person. He took his time and always made sure I understood every step we were taking.
Never hesitate to ask questions and don’t ever feel that you can’t ask any questions.
We were going to start IUI but we had to go through some test and blood work first. He had given me a medication to start my monthly cycle and then we were put on birth control so we could time the IUI. After the test we ended up not following through with IUI and wanted to go straight to IVF. We spoke with Dr. Maas and went over the strategy and appointments. Our insurance didn't cover it and we were unable to get the loan for $20,000 and we are kind of at a stand still
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer was very nice. But when I called to let her know we were unable to go through with IVF she didn't answer and I left a voicemail. I was in tears when I called her because I felt like my whole world had just c rumbled. I never received a call back and when she did call me back a month later she said she was calling because she said she was told that we wanted to discuss IVF.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The atmosphere is nice. The front desk ladies are so helpful and always remember my name. I don;t feel like another number. I wish the billing lady was more available because I felt kind of lost with everything.
Everything was out of pocket. I would say we paid in total almost $2000. The IVF was going to be about $20,000
We decided on doing the 2 embryo transfer to make our odds of conceiving higher. He showed us a slide show and explained the process thoroughly.
Boise
My main problem is ovulation, I just don’t ovulate. So he [Dr. Kevin Mass] tried specific doses with me of medication and trigger shots combined with what he called his “Hail Mary”. We did this a few times, none of which worked - but through ultrasounds we could at least see what we needed to do next. Now we are just preparing and hoping to start IVF with him soon.
Honestly, like I explained we’ve seen a lot of doctors through our infertility journey and by far, Maas has been our favorite. He is just relatable and makes us feel comfortable. Not to mention how positive he is - this has been a long journey for us and it’s just been nice to have someone keep the positivity there when we are down.
The only thing I would say is - go in with questions. He is great at answering anything and everything, but if I don’t have them in my head or written down then I usually leave that appointment still trying to figure things out.
He really took the time to talk to me, explain my options and didn’t rush us into anything. We tried different approaches before ultimately reaching the IVF road that we are currently in. We’ve met with a lot of infertility doctors through the years and he honestly was just one of the most understanding, sympathetic and overall just listened rather than rushing into something.
My main problem is ovulation, I just don’t ovulate. So he tried specific doses with me of medication and trigger shots combined with what he called his “Hail Mary”. We did this a few times, none of which worked - but through ultrasounds we could at least see what we needed to do next. Now we are just preparing and hoping to start IVF with him soon.
I love this clinic - the receptionist, the financial director, the ultrasound tech and my doctor - the only complaint I had was the nurse and maybe it was a fluke the couple of times. She just lacked compassion and in a sensitive situation it’s just hard to experience that.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was incredible! My only complaint is that they fill up appointment wise super fast - but that’s out of their control. They’re super compassionate, very nice and the only person I felt lack of sympathy from was the nurse. Other than that everyone went above and beyond.
I mean, nothing about infertility is cheap. Our insurance isn’t accepted at their office which made it hard since bloodwork and stuff is covered (although nothing else is). We just had to turn in receipts to our insurance for reimbursement. But overall, it’s been pricey - but that’s just infertility.
Boise
Dr.Mass was always very straight forward with us, but kind and thoughtful at the same time we it came time to explaining treatment to us. He has also been through many treatments with his wife and knew what we were going through, and it was so nice to have a doctor you could relate to. I remember when we lost our twins he talked with us and told us that even though this is one of the hardest things we will go through, we CAN get pregnant and that is a huge blessing in itself. Even though I was devistated about losing our twins, I heard onto those words and a couple months later we were pregnant with our daughter.
Listen to him! He knows what he is talking about. Not only has he studied it. He has been through it!
Before we started our first treatments with Dr.Maas we were very surprised to find out we were pregnant with twins. We chose to continue with our ultrasounds with Dr.Maas until our 8 week appointment where we were supposed to graduate and move to another doctor. At our appointment we found out that our twins no longer had heartbeats and were devistated. I have never been so grateful to be with a doctor before in my life. I knew that I wouldn’t have gotten the same care and love that we did with Dr.Maas and staff. Everyone of them have been through somesort of treatment for fertility, have had a miscarriage or child. They mourned with is and called to check on us almost daily to make sure we were ok. We felt more like family than a number or “just another patient”. Once we were ready Dr.Maas helped us get pregnant with her our beautiful baby girl. We love Dr.Maas and his staff!!!
Dr.Maas first placed me on a birth control for a month so I could have my period and then I started taking a different med, it was like clomid but a different med due to me not having a good reaction to clomid. After that he had me to ovulation test and if I had not ovulated by Friday I was to do a shot to make me ovulate (I apologize I don’t remember all the med names) I ended up needing the shot and then we were supposed to have intercourse ever 12-24 hours for 36 hours I believe.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
Jen was very kind and loving. She always called to check and see how things were going and to check and see if we had any questions. She was easy to relate to and helped during hard times without asking.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone is so kind! I never felt I welcomed or cared for as a patient of theirs. It always felt like you got to see family. They helped with everything and always were able to answer questions that I had or concerns.
In all I believe our treatments cost close to $3000.
We did not have to do embryo transfer during treatment.
Boise
Dr. Maas was very compassionate, kind, and as informative as he could be. We never felt rushed during our appointments or felt like he was in a hurry to get to the next patient. We would have liked more specifics and better communication between him and the staff- he would sometimes tell us one thing while the staff would tell us another. I also wish we would have established a more detailed plan to go off of because I was never 100% sure what he felt would be best for our next step. Overall, I feel like there could have been more clarification and possibly more testing done to answer questions and other possible diagnoses that he thought there was a good chance of me having.
Be sure to ask lots of questions, let him know how informative/blunt you would like for him to be, and make sure all necessary testing is done before you begin treatment.
I felt like Dr. Maas was very considerate of our feelings and tried to help us on the path we were wanting to go.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer (I think))
The coordinator was very insensitive to my feelings and made comments that were very unsupportive and didn't match up with what Dr. Maas had told us. When talking to her, she told me my husband's 10,000,000 sperm count was absolutely amazing and questioned my resources when I said that from what I had read that was considered low, and made me feel shame in talking to a friend (who had recently gone through IVF) for support saying, "you shouldn't be talking to your friend about your husband's low sperm count." I think we would have continued treatment with ICRM if I hadn't felt so much confusion and hurt because of the coordinator during an already difficult and sensitive time.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The front staff is very friendly, the financial coordinator always seemed like she was cheering us on and trying to give us hope (I really liked her), and the person who performed the IUI's had a personality that made me feel at ease during the procedures. I like Dr. Maas a lot as well, and think things could have been different had we had a different nurse coordinating our treatments.
I don't remember the specific costs.
What specific things went wrong at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Other, Unexplained
He [Dr. Maas] was very intelligent and explained everything very well. He didn't mind me asking a million questions and wanting statistics and numbers on everything. He was sympathetic and never questioned or pressured us if we didnt want to do a treatment due to cost...We used rather low doses of gonal-f and Menopur. Due to my risk of preterm labor he was very mindful of possible multiples.
Other, Unexplained
He was very intelligent and explained everything very well. He didn't mind me asking a million questions and wanting statistics and numbers on everything. He was sympathetic and never questioned or pressured us if we didnt want to do a treatment due to cost.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
They were always very personable. Greeted with a smile and never seemed rushed through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shana)
They are always helpful and don't mind if I ask questions. As our treatments went/go on I feel them rooting extra hard for us. Even when they have to call to give us negative results they are compassionate.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I feel like it is clean and comfortable. The front desk staff is very helpful and Tami is always a pleasure to talk with as you check out. She was very helpful when trying to fill out insurance forms for reimbursement. Please be away are you enter the back hallway it is lined with pictures of the babies they have helped create. I'm sure for some this is encouraging but I feel as my time goes further and further with them I find it hard to look at. It reminds me that others were successful and we have not been.
We had a discount program for medications the first year. Our cycles averaged $700ish/cycle with out IUI.
We have not gotten to this point in our treatment yet.
Boise
Very kind, calm, mild mannered and approachable but also very knowledgeable. [Dr. Maas] Spent time looking at our fertility history up to that point and offered his opinion on what he thought we could do differently. This made me feel confident and understood.... The main one was doing PGS testing. The rationale was that if we were investing that much time an money into the process it wouldn’t hurt to make sure that the embryos we would use were chromosomaly normal. That way we weren’t wasting time with an embryo that wouldn’t survive.
Very kind, calm, mild mannered and approachable but also very knowledgeable. Spent time looking at our fertility history up to that point and offered his opinion on what he thought we could do differently. This made me feel confident and understood.
Ask lots of questions and be able to be flexible. No fertility journey is linear and there is always something that doesn’t go exactly as planned.
I felt like the staff recognized me every time I went in. They always asked about my other child and if I needed to bring him to an appointment it was no big deal. My questions were always answered and they helped me through the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Hilton)
Everyone made me feel comfortable. Several of them had been thought IVF as well so I felt they really understood what I was going through.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The actual building was a little old and needed updating but they have since moved to a brand new facility. There was a receptionist that I didn’t really jive with but I don’t think she works there anymore. Otherwise, everyone was great to work with.
Around $30,000. That was for a two cycle plan, medication, ICSI and PGS testing.
He suggested just using one embryo at a time because with the PGS testing we were eliminating some of the reasons for transferring multiple embryos (there is a higher rate of success when you are using embryos that are chromosomaly normal).
Boise
Dr. Maas was very through on each step I need to take to begin the process. He explained all the testing for myself and my husband. He was understanding, since he and his wife have also recently gone through all the stages and testing for fertility treatments.... After the testing we decided to try IUI, I went on clomid for cycle days 3-7, had a couple ultrasounds to measure and count my follicles and then a trigger shot on day 13 with IUI on day 15.
Be patient. Trust the process.
He was very personable and understood my goals and issues. His staff have been great to work with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shauna Bennett)
Shauna has been great, I don’t actually see her much but she is the one I call for the plans. She always calls back in a timely manner and is able too answer my questions. She knows the plan as exactly what and when I need to do thing a. She has been really helpful.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Well they just recently moved to a beautiful new location. It seems so much bigger and more organized. Everyone seems happy to be in the new, bigger space. They have all the equipment necessary, the rooms are private and not super bright lights.
I think for all the testing for my husband and I and the first round of IUI it was around $2000
Endometriosis, PCOS
Dr. Maas was very caring and compassionate. You can tell he really has a passion for helping couples conceive. Our first visit Dr.Maas went over step by step what we were looking at and what we were going to have to do. He always had our best interest in mind.... All of the nurses were so great. I remember a few times breaking down and crying. Going though IVF is so emotional. Most of the staff there has gone through exactly what I went through. They were amazing support!
Endometriosis, PCOS
I don’t necessarily know if it would be advice but just ask all the questions you need Dr. Maas will happily answer them!
Dr Maas was amazing! Very caring and compassionate!
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I think that everything at the clinic was great!!! My scheduling always went smoothly and my appointments were rarely late! Plus hey just moved to an amazing new building which I hear is great! Sometimes I got a little confused on what my bill was and what exactly I was paying for but there was always someone there to help!
Dr. Maas prefers to only do one embryo transfer at one time. I expressed my concerned and that I wanted to transfer 2 he let me know that wouldn’t be his choice but said that he would do it. I
Boise
He [Dr. Kevin Mass] took the time to talk to us and answer all questions before even doing any exams or treatments...Dr Maas was very friendly and helpful. He helped explain everything and showed pictures and examples to us. He was more than willing to answer all questions we had and didn't rush us. He seemed to be understanding as he and his wife have also done infertility treatment. Overall I feel my experience was great working with him...He seemed to have my best interest in hand.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
He took the time to talk to us and answer all questions before even doing any exams or treatments.
I don't remember everything but he did explain why he would do what he was suggesting due to risk level of best outcome. He seemed to have my best interest in hand.
All that worked with me seemed to know the doctors and the procedures well. They knew the process and paperwork for everything.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
It is a cute office that feels like home. The staff are all nice and very helpful.
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Maas is patient, kind and has great bedside manner. He explains treatment in a way that makes it understandable and not stressful. He treats each patient like they are his only patient and you can tell he cares greatly about helping his patients start a family.... relax because Dr. Maas is very good at his job and will do everything he can to help them achieve pregnancy.
IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
To relax because Dr. Maas is very good at his job and will do everything he can to help them achieve pregnancy.
Dr. Maas is very involved with his patients and makes you feel like you are his only patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jenifer and Zabrina )
Kind, organized, willing to go the extra mile.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Everyone at the clinic is excellent and very easy to work with! They make you feel like family! The scheduling is great and each step of the way there is someone there to answer any questions that you might have
We did a multiple embryo transfer because we had already had a single transfer fail.