5.4

130 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451
338 Plantation Street
Worcester, MA 01605

Dr. Thornton was kind and somewhat compassionate. If I was down about a high FSH she reminded me it wasn't that high (11). She is straight to the point though, she isn't really going to coddle you. After my first round of treatment only resulted in 2 dominant follicles and I was converted to an IUI, she asked me if I ever considered donor eggs. I was really disappointed that was discussed so quickly, but she was being real with me I guess. She agreed to change the protocol and move forward if I only had one follicle next time. Unfortunately that cycle was cancelled when they went in to retrieve and found no follicles, they assume I prematurely ovulated.
Boston IVF has its good and its bad points. They service a TON of patients and its easy to get lost in the shuffle, but I do feel the nurses and staff in Waltham care about the patients and want us to succeed. The downside to the high volume is not getting much for personal care because your doctor is too busy to really be adjusting protocols or meeting with you personally. I also didn't love that they aren't much into research... other websites for clinics have studies and videos and information for patients. I felt like Boston IVF was like the Costco of reproduction, and you are fortunate to be successful if you have only a small issue to work through or try enough times. Anyone with specific issues that need special attention or outside the box thinking would probably do better elsewhere.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Be prepared going in. Dr. Thornton goes over things for sure, but there is a lot of information out there and questions you should be asking of any doctor. If she hesitates on proceeding, keep in mind that it is your choice and your body and don't give up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
My husband and I met with Dr. Thornton once, and I met with her once alone. She was always very nice and explained things in a way my husband liked, as her undergrad is in chemical engineering as is his. She seemed confident that I would be successful, and she explained the process well with pictures, etc. However, past those meetings I have felt like any other patient being pushed through the clinic. Three times a nurse told me to take a medication I didn't have (the insurance sometimes sends Cetritide but I had Ganirelix, and the insurance sometimes sends Gonal F, but I had Follistim) so it felt like no one was even reading my chart before speaking to me. After my second fail (premature ovulation prior to retrieval) I didn't receive a follow up call from the clinic to schedule a follow-up and next steps. I don't know if Dr. Thornton cares if I come back to Boston IVF ever, she likely has enough other 'numbers' to deal with.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - Day 3 start, 450 iu Follistim, low dose HCG; Day 5 Ganirelix, up to 600 iu Follistim, low dose HCG. One decent follicle, one smaller - converted to IUI. Ovidrel shot. BFN Cycle 2 - Ganirelix and Estrogen patch prior to cycle start, Day 3 450 iu Follistim, 150 iu Menupur; Day 9 Ganirelix, Follistim same, and Menupur same. Day 11 had two dominant follicles and some smaller ones starting. Pregnyl shot, retrieval 36 hours later showed no follicles. Was instructed to go home and have sex (not sure why they didn't do an IUI at that point)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Dawn)
I was so very NOT a fan of Dawn (Worcester office only) that I asked to be switched to a nurse out of the Waltham office. She lacks compassion as well as a knowledge of what she should say to a patient vs. what the doctor should be communicating. Abbey and Sonya (Dr. Thornton's other nurses) in Waltham are excellent though. The nursing staff in Waltham overall has been incredible - everyone you meet from the time you walk in, get blood taken, ultrasound, checked in for surgery, etc - they are SOOOOO great. They see your eyes start to tear and they always have tissues. I had to visit Waltham on Mothers Day for an ultrasound and they had a big bucket of roses and a sign that said "thinking of you all today and everyday" and I lost it. So touching. They are A+++++. In Waltham.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF.
Pretty much 100% insurance paid after deductible. I think we paid $150 for one medication through Village Pharmacy. My scripts cost me a small co-pay (like $30) but the 'real' price was $15,000 just for the drugs! Phew!
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Worcester
Dr. Kim Thornton is a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better, and I appreciated that. She was direct, to the point, and pretty serious. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise...There wasn't one dedicated case manager or go-to person that we could contact. Even trying to reach the 'dedicated' nurse was a nightmare. If you called before 9am you got message that "you've reached the emergency phone number", and you couldn't leave a voicemail. If you called the same number after 9am, you spoke to 3 different people before you even got the Voicemail for the nurse...
Waltham clinic is the main facility. I live closer to the Worcester clinic so I had most of my blood tests/ultrasounds there. The receptionist in Worcester had no idea what was going on. The bloodwork in Worcester was a nightmare - last time I had to wait 1 hour to get my blood drawn, it was also a different person every single time which made me think they had trouble staffing it. The Waltham clinic seems to run like clockwork. My cycle was cancelled before egg retrieval, but all of my appointments there were on time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Dr. Kim Thornton is a straight shooter and I respect that about her. She didn't sugarcoat anything just to make us feel better, and I appreciated that. She was direct, to the point, and pretty serious. There was no hand-holding. I felt that she had put the best plan together for my specific situation, and trusted her medical expertise. At 28, my FSH levels and AFC was that of a 40 year old, and she diagnosed me with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency - time was not on my side. She felt that we needed to move straight to IVF and not waste any time, so we went for it. I appreciated that she felt the same sort of urgency that if I was going to have my own healthy babies with my husband, it needed to be ASAP. I met with her twice. Once for the initial consult just before Christmas, and once again in Feb after all the diagnostic testing. My first IVF cycle started in April and after 8 days of stimulation it was abruptly cancelled (on a Saturday), because not enough estrogen was being produced. I trusted her expertise, and was instructed to call on Tuesday (after marathon Monday) to schedule followup consult. When I called on Tuesday, I was told that she was on vacation for the rest of the week, and the next available appointment was 8 days away. Not only was she on vacation, there were no other doctors available that could talk to us sooner, except the emergency on-call doctor, but that wasn't an option. As a patient undergoing something as extreme and sensitive as IVF, I'm shocked that my Doctor would go on vacation without a back-up. I'm also shocked that there was no professional courtesy to give us a heads up that she was going away during the most sensitive part of the cycle (days 7 - 16!!!) because that's the critical time for everything IVF related. I would have postponed it, or asked for another Dr to monitor the cycle. Not only that, but I'm also left wondering if my cycle was cancelled because it was inconvenient OR if there simply wasn't anybody there to monitor my cycle.
Ask about upcoming vacation days that may occur during your cycle. Be proactive and be an advocate for yourself.
If we hadn't pushed and been strong advocates for ourselves to move the process along, we would still be at square 1. There wasn't one dedicated case manager or go-to person that we could contact. Even trying to reach the 'dedicated' nurse was a nightmare. If you called before 9am you got message that "you've reached the emergency phone number", and you couldn't leave a voicemail. If you called the same number after 9am, you spoke to 3 different people before you even got the Voicemail for the nurse. And then you had to wait 2-3 hours to get a call back. Nobody checked on us during the first few days of injectable medication. Nobody made sure we knew how to mix the medicine, or inject it correctly, and our first appointment wasn't till 5 days later, so we ended up learning how to mix menopur on YouTube! Not the type of service I would have expected given the financial expense and level of intensity of the drugs.
I'm 28, in-shape, besides my sub-fertility, I'm generally healthy. My husband and I were officially trying, but I wasn't getting my period. I went to see my OB after 6 months and he tested my blood work to see the thyroid/hormone levels. After that he referred me to Dr. Kim Thornton. She revealed that I wasn't ovulating at all, and my FSH was about 2x - 3x higher than it should be at 28. During preliminary ultrasound scans there were 8 antral follicles, not as many as there should have been for my age, but enough that she thought IVF was our best shot. She didn't want me to waste my time with Clomid or IUI. The goal was to stimulate the few follicles that I had with injectibles, and hope for high quality eggs. After diagnostic testing she prescribed levothyroxine to bring my Thyroid levels down. It was within the normal range, but was higher than ideal range for pregnancy, had me start the birth control pill, and start taking CoQ10 to help with egg quality. I continued taking a prenatal vitamin. Summary: Antagonist protocol 300iu Gonal F Redi-Pen and 150 Menopur during stimulation days 1 - 8. Cycle cancelled on stimulation day 8, not enough estrogen being produced. Stim day 6: Ultrasound + bloodwork 7am. Ultrasound technician wouldn't comment on anything. Nurse called around 1p and said that results showed 1 dominant follicle 10mm in left ovary and 2 - 4 small follicles in each. She also said estrogen was way too low and that my cycle may be cancelled, but for now Dr. Thornton wanted me to continue same dose of meds and come back for testing on stim day 8. Stim day 8: Ultrasound + bloodwork 8:30am. The ultrasound technician said there was nothing going on in the right ovary, but 1 dominant follicle 10-11mm and 10 follicles too small to measure in the left ovary. Nurse called around 1:30pm to say that the cycle had been cancelled, and to call on Tuesday to schedule followup meeting with Dr Thornton.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
I dealt with 5 to 6 different nurses over 8 days. It's not a recipe for success. There should be 1 point person who is familiar with the patient, develops a relationship with the patient, understands their test results, and really advocates for their care, otherwise I'm just a number.
Kim L. Thornton

I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.... Dr. Thornton did not order the full panel of tests that our current RE ordered. I found out through my current RE that I have a thyroid issue that requires me to take medication. Dr. Thornton also did not give me proper instructions on how to take a supplement she advised me to take.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.... The clinic [Boston IVF] is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.... I did not find Dr. Thornton to be a caring physician. She did not take the time to answer our questions or to fully explain everything that was going on. I always felt rushed and that I was taking up her time.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at Boston IVF?
Do not go to her. Find a different provider or clinic.
I felt very rushed at my appointments.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is incredibly large and you often feel like a number and feel rushed. There are ample physicians if you wish to get a second opinion within the same clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.