Kimberly Keefe Smith

75 Francis Street
Boston, MA 02115

1 patient review filtered by:

2019 - 2022, Unknown Success
[Dr. Kimberly Keefe-Smith was] Compassionate, able to explain the process, options, risks and benefits clearly. Willing to do additional research and consider alternatives when treatment was not proceeding as hoped. When we raised some concerns and interest in seeking a second opinion (actually more related to the facility than to her), she was understanding and helped to make a referral. In the end, although we had a consultation with another physician, we ended up continuing out treatment with the same clinic and with her.
Fairly convenient. Once you are familiar with the location [of Brigham & Women's Hospital] I think it's easy to get in and out, and even with COVID, the procedures were straightforward. I had a bit of a negative experience with one of the phlebotomists during my very first cycle, but I think someone might have spoken to her about being more understanding/compassionate because I have seen her many times since and she is much better now.
How was your experience with Kimberly Keefe Smith at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Keefe Smith at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Don't be afraid to ask questions!
Describe the protocols Kimberly Keefe Smith used in your cycles at Brigham & Women's Hospital and their degree of success.
We started with Clomid and IUI with close monitoring (US and labs). Dr. Keefe-Smith discussed with us at each stage when we were ready to proceed with IUI (each time there was more than one leading follicle, so discussed potential risk of multiples). When we started IVF, I started a pretty standard antagonist protocol with FSH and menopur and Lupron trigger. I had high ovarian reserve, with numbers bordering PCOS territory, so wanted to avoid ovarian hyperstimulation. Had a good response, but no balanced embryos. Used same protocol next cycle, but had to increase med doses part way, with similar results (although fewer viable embryos). 3rd cycle tried VLDL cycle (low dose lupron prior, then FSH/menopur and HCG trigger). Really no better with ~same # eggs and viable embryos. 4th cycle went back to the original protocol with thought that I had responded best during that cycle. Also added ICSI after discussion (and additional research) to suggest this might be helpful. Had great response, slightly more viable embryos, and 1 euploid. Now just awaiting FET
Describe your experience with your nurse at Brigham & Women's Hospital. (Assigned nurse: Ellen)
Generally good. Occasionally there could be some communication issues, and in general I would have preferred that they provide written communication (especially for meds, labs, etc.) than just over the phone.
Describe your experience with Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Fairly convenient. Once you are familiar with the location I think it's easy to get in and out, and even with COVID, the procedures were straightforward. I had a bit of a negative experience with one of the phlebotomists during my very first cycle, but I think someone might have spoken to her about being more understanding/compassionate because I have seen her many times since and she is much better now.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Keefe Smith at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Most of my costs were covered by insurance. I had to pay out of pocket for a lot of the genetic testing, but the clinic was helpful in getting this partially covered.
Describe Kimberly Keefe Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Provider had strong preference for eSET, but I think this was mostly due to my age and the much higher risk of pregnancy complications.
What specific things went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Brigham & Women's Hospital.
Once, when having labs on a weekend, I was not called back about the results and plan for retrieval and instructions for taking my trigger shot. I saw the lab results myself through the online portal, and knew that I should be ready for retrieval, and eventually saw a pre-procedure COVID test appointment appear in the portal, but had not been called. Ultimately had to call the on-call fellow for instructions.
Kimberly Keefe Smith