Medical SchoolGeorgetown
FellowshipNational Inst of Health
2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kimberly Moon to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times ... Dr. Moon is very open and a candid communicator. She was honest about whether she thought I should pursue treatment, and when one cycle wasn't going well, she was honest about whether she thought I should cancel or not. I really appreciate the fact that every time I talk to her, I know I'm hearing exactly what she thinks about my situation.
3 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would just say good luck with the treatment! There are definitely no worries or concerns about Dr. Moon herself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times and the current date was written down everywhere, LOL.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember all the details of my retrieval, but I think the procedures were pretty standard. I used Bravelle (+ one other drug I'm not remembering), standard trigger shots (only one intramuscular), and never had any problems recovering from the actual retrievals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: (don't remember))
I don't remember many specifics, but I always found everyone friendly, empathetic, and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove does a huge business in the DC-area and knows how to treat its patients. There are no "emotional frills" -- or maybe I just haven't needed them -- but the treatment is efficient and empathetic to its patients' needs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
I remember that I got 4 cycles/20 eggs for $12k + med costs. There was a refund if you only did one (or maybe two) cycle(s), but since I didn't take that option I don't remember the details.
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't gone through embryo transfer yet, but Dr. Moon seems open to eSET, for which I am extremely grateful.
6 IUI, IVF
Dr. Moon is extremely efficient (i.e. brisk in her manner), but she's also extremely thorough and approachable. She shared early on that she went through IVF to conceive her own children, so she's able to empathize. I found her to be warm, friendly, and willing to answer as many questions as I could throw at her....Let her know early on if you're the type of patient who wants to know the nitty-gritty of treatment details, as she tends to only offer information about the very next step unless you request more detail.
6 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
You're in good hands! Let her know early on if you're the type of patient who wants to know the nitty-gritty of treatment details, as she tends to only offer information about the very next step unless you request more detail.
I appreciate that Dr. Moon treats me like a fellow adult with intelligence and agency over my care. I never felt that she was condescending to me. I also get the impression that she tailors the information provided to her patients according to the amount of detail they desire.
I was "old" (37 at first consult, 40 at treatment) with mixed signs of diminished ovarian reserve. Dr. Moon recommended (and used) an estrogen priming protocol. Still in the stims phase of my first IVF cycle, but so far the response is approximately what she predicted (i.e. not many eggs, but we weren't expecting many).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kate Philipps)
Kate is so on top of her game! She gets back to me almost instantaneously whenever I have questions or concerns, and she's generally able to anticipate issues before they arise.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a machine. I thought I would experience this as a downside--it even led me to a different clinic for my initial attempts--but I ended up viewing it as a net positive. They're efficient. They're experienced. They are laden with resources. Every recommendation is stats-driven because they have such a wealth of data available, but I found my doctor willing to tailor my treatment according to my personal history and input. I never felt like I was slipping through the cracks the way I did at my old clinic.
Self-pay with Aetna discount. Fresh IVF single cycle with ICSI: $7500. Fresh cycle with ICSI and cryopreservation for PGS: $10,700 (plus $2000 to off-site PGS lab). Additional FET: $1850.
Shady Grove as a practice has so much data at their fingertips because they're a machine. Their recommendations are very specific to your age, prognosis, and history. But they certainly try to minimize the risk of multiples.
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Moon overall was a nice lady. I am a nurse and understood many of the things that were going on but my husband did not and he always felt dismissed. I saw her on my initial consultation and one other time. She did take time to come and give me an ultrasound while the regular staff was at lunch and I was having a miscarriage. Other than that she never performed one procedure. I saw a variety of other dr's. She did call after my miscarriage and I explained to her a complacation that I was having and she brushed me off. I had to be seen at an urgent care. She never even called after my failed transfer
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions ans do not expect much
Many times when I would go in for my blood draws or scans there was only standing room because there were so many patients. It was very impersonal. Everyone there is nervous and scared and possibly desperate and they just chat about whats for lunch and what they did for the weekend. Very insensitive.
I did a round of drugs for egg retrieval (injections, pills and vaginal suppository). Had a "practice" egg insertion, the actually incantation and then a frozen transfer. During the frozen cycle I participated in a clinical trial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Wood)
Jennifer was very organized but she would mainly communicate via email. If you called you would never get an answer. When I was actively going through a miscarriage she never once said sorry or showed any sympathy she only told me to calm down
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They arw good at making appointments that work for you. The phlebotomist are super nice and they are the only ones who remember your name. The receptionist are very rude and unprofessional
Around $10,000
She only suggested/recommended single transfer
Washington DC
I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well... I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently... thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm a fan - I imagine success has something to do with it, but the overall experience was good. I knew by the time I got to Dr. Moon that I was going to struggle conceiving, and that it wasn't for any identifiable reason. That helped temper my expectations I think. I thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant. I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently.
Shady Grove is a bit of a factory, yes, but I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well.
Standard antagonist protocol - BCP followed by FSH, menopur and then cetrotide I think. Attempting to keep growth slow but steady, and keep all follicles in range. Aiming for fewer high quality follicles (as someone who could produce a fair number, but of poor quality). Standard trigger criteria, but we held off a day or two based on history, so things were slightly larger. On my FET, it was medicated, so BCP and then something (can't recall).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Nurses were hit or miss. Staff as a whole was a bit hit or miss, though more good than bad. Appreciated the splitting of blood draws from general nurses (keeping it with people who knew what they were doing). I'd describe things as generally efficient, and well run, on the nursing side.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the strength is in the solid lab, significant experience and range of doctors to choose from. They do seem to use standard protocols, but that was fine. I'm not crazy about the BCP use, but it's a must - there's not a lot of flexibility in that area. I was able to get some concessions on some policies by getting Dr. Moon on board, and it was frustrating to have to do so. The standard weekend hours and multiple locations was good - no worrying about timing there. They generally had a range of appointments available, though weekends could be hit or miss. Some things were very standardized which generally helped it run smoothly. But there were times things backed up, with waits of 45+ minutes. The financial people may have changed in the past 2 years, but that was the worst/most maddening part. It may be less so if you're not using insurance, but I had to do a significant amount of leg work on running down pre-authorizations and getting statuses and poking and prodding. It was incredibly frustrating, and I would say that's the part that is most off putting about the clinic.
Insurance covered in large part, so I don't recall.
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Moon was used to working with SMCs and was recommended to me. She reviewed my file and gave me plenty of time to talk about my history and the potential options at her clinic. I knew what I wanted to do and she was quick to help me figure out next steps and also worked hard to help me determine which donor was the right one for me....She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer....
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I specifically sought out Dr. Moon on the recommendation of others due to the large size of the clinic and the factory feel of the operation. She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer.
I got pregnant on my first DE transfer so I didn't have a rigorous protocol.
I had very little experience with the nursing staff due to using DE. The staff who were around during my transfer were fine.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think Shady Grove has a high quality lab and has high success due to this. The rest of the operation is large, I felt like a # and they had several major errors during my time there--for example failing to get an ultrasound on my egg donor on her last visit so they had her trigger without all of the necessary info. The RE who handled my transfer was awful and I worried that he purposely botched my transfer due to his attitude. In the end, I luckily got pregnant that cycle and was done with any fertility treatments.
I chose a guaranteed DE program and it was expensive. I think the cost was $30,500. I've tried to block out the cost but my daughter was well worth the money!
The clinic strongly prefers eSET for DE.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Dr. Kimberly Moon] Treated me as if I was a younger patient. I am older, so treatments selection may have been too harsh on my eggs. She adjusted protocol which yielded more, poor quality eggs. She didn't listen to my concerns and my money went down the drain along with precious time.... THe first cycle was standard protocol- Gonal F , menopur, centrotide. HGH. The second included the previously mentioned but also a lupron stop..yielded more eggs then previous protocol. Overall, over 41 eggs retrieved but none were of quality.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
IF you're older, find someone else. If you're younger, you may stand a chance conceiving.
Eventhough my hormone levels and AMH were that of a younger person, my protocol was not tailored for a person of advanced age and I feel the "standard" protocols I was going through possibly fried my eggs, hence further issues with egg quality. I kept insisting for other options and it wasn't considered at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
There were issues in the beginning but overall I think it she was better.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
old standard conservative methods- resistant to alternatives. Acupuncture and yoga are now being encouraged. When I had mentioned it during my cycle, I was told that it wouldn't make a difference . Older patients should really seek elsewhere for treatment.
Over $25k
Washington DC
Dr. Kimberly Moon was very warm and caring with my wife and I. She was patient and very good in helping us achieve every necessary step to move forward with our journey...Doctor Moon was a total professional with my wife and I. As this procedure is already delicate and somewhat stressful for my wife and I, Dr. Moon remained engaged, very attentive and absolutely patient with us...We've only reached the point of me taking the Clomid for my low sperm count.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared to have your mind as ease with Dr. Moon and her wonderful staff
We've only reached the point of me taking the Clomid for my low sperm count. We have not moved any further as of yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie Philippes)
Every time we had questions or sent emails to Katie she would get back to us right away and remained engaged with us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic first of all was very clean and smelled good. The staff was very professional and friendly. It didn't feel like a fertility clinic at all. There were so many gorgeous pictures of precious babies in the clinic that it made you feel like everyone in the staff is rooting for every single client to give life.
The total for our procedure is around $23,000
Washington DC
I only saw her [Dr. Moon] twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming...You will never see or talk to her other than the initial consult and when planning treatment...
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I only saw her twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming.
Spent under $1k for two rounds of Timed Intercourse, 2 doctor consults, HSG, Semen Analysis, and bloodwork.
2013 - 2014
She [Dr Kimberly Moon] was honest and professional yet understood the deeply emotional aspects of infertility...She was very patient with us. Walked us through all of our options. Educated us the infertility and the unfortunate and difficult place of being "unexplained."
2013 - 2014
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was honest and professional yet understood the deeply emotional aspects of infertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
A clinic was always available and worked with your schedule. Unfortunately, there were some very long wait times on some days - particularly weekends.
I had most of the treatments covered by insurance.