4.7

2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
While I know she [Dr. Kimberly Moon] knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
Both [nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy...Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00...There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekd
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon is well educated and seems to be a numbers person. During our consult for our second IVF cycle with her for a second biological child, she ran our data from our cycle 2 years prior through a spreadsheet they had to predict likelihood for success with unexplained infertility and our age and the numbers were so-so. I pushed and asked why we only ended up with (1) blastocyst when I had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilized. She responded that to her that points to male factor infertility bc the cells live off the maternal protein the initial 3 days and then once getting past 4-cells they live off the male DNA. Since we still had 10+ embryos after our Day-2 update and then only 1 come day 5/6/7, she deducts there are some MFI issues and referred us to the urologist in her practice if we wanted more information. If we had decided not to go, then we never would have learned about the Sperm DNA Fragmentation test that is available. I don't know why this test wasn't recommended after our initial 2-failed IUIs or when his semen analysis in initial work up was so-so. The results came back that 36% of his sperm had DNA fragmentation and success for frag over 30% isn't good. For our IVF cycle in 2019 to attempt for our second baby, the urologist recommended he perform a TESE procedure on my husband to get to the source of the sperm before they get fragmented in ejaculation. Again, we had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilize but only 2 make it to blastocysts (day 5 & 6). They were tested and both came back abnormal. At that point, Dr. Moon and the board reviewed our case and decided we could not continue in the Shared Risk program, unless we used 50% donor sperm and 50% of my husband's. While I get they want to protect their data and pregnancy rates, this felt like a blow that they didn't have faith in our future outcomes. We want a full biological family and we know it is possible since we have our son; we'd think they would come up with ways to help overcome this DNA fragmentation. They moved our deposit for Shared Risk over to a Multi-Cycle program (2 tries) and then I don't know what we'll do if those two don't work..... After that failed cycle, I read up on whatever studies I could find and put my husband on supplements for 3-months and he was trying to work on getting his BMI down since the clinic didn't have any recommendations on what we could do to make a difference. Sadly our March 2020 IVF cycle had about 20 retrieved; 18 mature and fertilized and only 2 made it to blast again and both came back abnormal again. We have a teleconference with Dr. Moon this afternoon to talk about next steps, I guess. Curious to see what she'll say....
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to do your own research and schedule calls with her to get questions answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
My response is mixed. While I know she knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't recall the treatment protocols for my (2) IUIs, but for my (3) IVF cycles she had me on an antagonist protocol with 225 Gonal-F and (3) vials of Menopur. I am slower to respond, esp. my right side, so my 3rd cycle I was started on these higher doses and stayed pretty steady throughout cycle. Only (1) IVF cycle in 2017 was successful with producing (1) blastocyst (our son). Have a tele-consult with our Dr. this afternoon and am curious if there is another protocol we can try for our final cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Lana and Caroline were the two I remember communicating the most with during my two cycles the last 6-months. Both showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy. In 2017 I did have (1) assigned nurse, Kate Manders, and I didn't 100% care for her. She was nice enough but seemed pretty cold/robotic. She is now the K Street Patient Care Coordinator or Office Manager or something to that effect.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths - Monitoring appointments are quick and efficient. There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekdays and stay with 7a on weekends so patients can still get to work at a semi-decent hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00 PGT-A Testing - $5,000.00 TESE - $5,000.00 Sperm Analysis - $50.00 Sperm DNA Fragmentation Test - $250.00
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2020, Consult
Investor
Dr Moon was great for the initial consult and we came to her from a recommendation. We never saw her again. She was thorough and explained things fine, but she felt more like a salesperson given that she never performed any medical operations...She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it...The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon [at Shady Grove Fertility], but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us...The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff...The nurse and care coordinator do not respond to messages, would not answer questions in any way that would provide a real answer, and also do not read your chart prior to speaking with you. They asked our egg donor right before she was going under for the egg retrieval how many eggs she was keeping FOR HERSELF. She advised that she was DONATING them, but they asked her multiple times if she was keeping any for herself. We used a known egg donor, and we had to explain the situation thousands of times to everyone we spoke to. They also treated the partner (me) who was not donating sperm as not involved in the process at all, despite the fact that I coordinated all of the care.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't bother with Shady Grove - they are terrible. The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff.
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon, but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is terrible. It is a premium service where they treat you like garbage. They are disorganized. We got passed around to multiple coordinators and they forgot to tell us. The process is stressful and expensive and Shady Grove makes you feel like a dollar sign without providing any sort of premium service at all. The facilities are nice and we had a good medical outcome, but the process to get there was miserable.
$19k for egg retrieval $8k for drugs $1,500 for required social work $1,000 for genetic counseling $3,000 for miscellaneous fees
She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it.
How competent was Shady Grove Fertility at LGBTQ care?
They were OK with LGBTQ. We used a known egg donor who was related to me and used my (male) partner's sperm. I was often not included in things because I had no medical interaction, but I coordinated all of the care. They never bother to read your chart, so you have to explain every time you speak with someone what the situation is, which can be uncomfortable. They never were discriminatory, but they were far from thoughtful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
They never return your call, they do not read your chart, they switched our clinical coordinator without telling us, they failed to keep us updated on the results of the biopsy, and they asked our egg donor if she wanted to keep eggs for herself. They also would not show our egg donor how to do the shots, would not even help her with the first round. They also made us order a full batch of drugs and then only used 1/4 of them, so we had to pay $8k and only used $2k worth of drugs.

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Moon overall was a nice lady. I am a nurse and understood many of the things that were going on but my husband did not and he always felt dismissed. I saw her on my initial consultation and one other time. She did take time to come and give me an ultrasound while the regular staff was at lunch and I was having a miscarriage. Other than that she never performed one procedure. I saw a variety of other dr's. She did call after my miscarriage and I explained to her a complacation that I was having and she brushed me off. I had to be seen at an urgent care. She never even called after my failed transfer
They [Shady Grove] arw good at making appointments that work for you. The phlebotomist are super nice and they are the only ones who remember your name. The receptionist are very rude and unprofessional... I signed up for a certain type of plan where you pay for so many and if they arw unsuccessful then you get reimbursed. I should have had like 6 treatments. After the first one they started sending me bills for every little thing. When I inquired about it they claim that that was not what plan I was under and that I was a pay as you go pt. Meanwhile I provide them with all of the correspondance with my financial guy and got no where. They would not budge.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions ans do not expect much
Many times when I would go in for my blood draws or scans there was only standing room because there were so many patients. It was very impersonal. Everyone there is nervous and scared and possibly desperate and they just chat about whats for lunch and what they did for the weekend. Very insensitive.
I did a round of drugs for egg retrieval (injections, pills and vaginal suppository). Had a "practice" egg insertion, the actually incantation and then a frozen transfer. During the frozen cycle I participated in a clinical trial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Wood)
Jennifer was very organized but she would mainly communicate via email. If you called you would never get an answer. When I was actively going through a miscarriage she never once said sorry or showed any sympathy she only told me to calm down
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They arw good at making appointments that work for you. The phlebotomist are super nice and they are the only ones who remember your name. The receptionist are very rude and unprofessional
Around $10,000
She only suggested/recommended single transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
When I had my miscarriage, I passes the fetus at home and was told to bring it in when I arrived for my D&C. I was asked if I would like to have genetic testing done and I did. They did not send the fetus along with the other tissue and I got a bill for $600. I was not informed of the cost of the test and they lost the critical portion of the specimen so I got no actual results. Second: I signed up for a certain type of plan where you pay for so many and if they arw unsuccessful then you get reimbursed. I should have had like 6 treatments. After the first one they started sending me bills for every little thing. When I inquired about it they claim that that was not what plan I was under and that I was a pay as you go pt. Meanwhile I provide them with all of the correspondance with my financial guy and got no where. They would not budge.
Washington DC

[Dr. Kimberly Moon] Treated me as if I was a younger patient. I am older, so treatments selection may have been too harsh on my eggs. She adjusted protocol which yielded more, poor quality eggs. She didn't listen to my concerns and my money went down the drain along with precious time.... THe first cycle was standard protocol- Gonal F , menopur, centrotide. HGH. The second included the previously mentioned but also a lupron stop..yielded more eggs then previous protocol. Overall, over 41 eggs retrieved but none were of quality.
[Shady Grove-Washington DC has] old standard conservative methods- resistant to alternatives. Acupuncture and yoga are now being encouraged. When I had mentioned it during my cycle, I was told that it wouldn't make a difference .... THe first cycle was standard protocol- Gonal F , menopur, centrotide. HGH. The second included the previously mentioned but also a lupron stop..yielded more eggs then previous protocol. Overall, over 41 eggs retrieved but none were of quality.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
IF you're older, find someone else. If you're younger, you may stand a chance conceiving.
Eventhough my hormone levels and AMH were that of a younger person, my protocol was not tailored for a person of advanced age and I feel the "standard" protocols I was going through possibly fried my eggs, hence further issues with egg quality. I kept insisting for other options and it wasn't considered at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
There were issues in the beginning but overall I think it she was better.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
old standard conservative methods- resistant to alternatives. Acupuncture and yoga are now being encouraged. When I had mentioned it during my cycle, I was told that it wouldn't make a difference . Older patients should really seek elsewhere for treatment.
Over $25k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Slight issues with weekend nurses, but aside- clinic runs well.

2016, Unknown Success
I only saw her [Dr. Moon] twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming...You will never see or talk to her other than the initial consult and when planning treatment...
Spent under $1k for two rounds of Timed Intercourse [at Shady Grove - DC K St], 2 doctor consults, HSG, Semen Analysis, and bloodwork...
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I only saw her twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming.
Spent under $1k for two rounds of Timed Intercourse, 2 doctor consults, HSG, Semen Analysis, and bloodwork.
Washington DC

It was mainly consultation [with Dr, Kimberly Moon]...She is a bit cold and not terribly helpful, but the thing that bothers me the most is that she knew that we lived in Maryland and never asked if we had thought about getting secondary insurance through the state (MD is 1 of 4 states that offers this option). The practice's financial representatives hounded us for over a year and never mentioned this option either. It made us feel like the practice is a business first and care provider second. We never felt great about Dr. Moon, so we ended up going to George Washington University IVF & Fertility instead. It was the FIRST thing our new doctor mentioned. This saved us an incredible amount of money and gave us peace of mind as we weighed our options. I want other Shady Grove patients to know about this option and I thought that FertilityIQ was a good way to share.
They kept trying to sell us on the fixed price option [at Shady Grove Fertility]. The tricky thing about the fixed price option is that it does not include medication which is a very expensive part of each round. I want other Shady Grove patients to know about this option and I thought that FertilityIQ was a good way to share...Our doctor knew that we lived in Maryland and never asked if we had thought about getting secondary insurance through the state (MD is 1 of 4 states that offers this option). The practice's financial representatives hounded us for over a year and never mentioned this option either. It made us feel like the practice is a business first and care provider second.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
It was mainly consultation.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Our doctor knew that we lived in Maryland and never asked if we had thought about getting secondary insurance through the state (MD is 1 of 4 states that offers this option). The practice's financial representatives hounded us for over a year and never mentioned this option either. It made us feel like the practice is a business first and care provider second. We never felt great about Dr. Moon, so we ended up going to George Washington University IVF & Fertility instead. It was the FIRST thing our new doctor mentioned. This saved us an incredible amount of money and gave us peace of mind as we weighed our options. I believe it's unethical that the practice did not share this information. They kept trying to sell us on the fixed price option. The tricky thing about the fixed price option is that it does not include medication which is a very expensive part of each round. I want other Shady Grove patients to know about this option and I thought that FertilityIQ was a good way to share.
I believe it was a $50 consulatation