4.7

Kimberly Moon works at

2021 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
202.296.2595

We felt well guided under our care of Dr. Moon. She is frank, to the point and is usually quite clear in her prognosis and decision-making, though we had a bit of an oddball case (says everyone dealing with infertility)...took a Sunday call with us to sort through it and give us feedback on how we would approach it moving forward...29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA). Transferred 4AB embryo, pregnant but likely will be ending in a miscarriage (hcg not rising appropriately on second blood draw).
I would've liked to have Dr. Moon at our retrieval and transfers but frankly, that's not how Shady Grove works and we understood that clearly before we began...29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA)...Nothing specific went wrong, but there were a lot of monitoring appointments that weren't set and were just loosely scheduled, which is how this clinic works, for better or worse. I wish there were set monitoring times, I had 30-45 mins waits at the beginning of my IVF cycle for a blood draw which just is because there is an overload of folks scheduled at the exact same time. Too open-ended for scheduling, there really becomes no put to even schedule then.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We felt well guided under our care of Dr. Moon. She is frank, to the point and is usually quite clear in her prognosis and decision-making, though we had a bit of an oddball case (says everyone dealing with infertility). I would've liked to have Dr. Moon at our retrieval and transfers but frankly, that's not how Shady Grove works and we understood that clearly before we began. I would like to see more clarity on communication with regard to the pandemic, the clinic, not necessarily Dr. Moon herself, waited a long time, gave unclear directives and made the experience much more unclear; we understand no one plans for this, but the clinic gave very little clarity on action plans for us when it all happened mid-transfer. It was really hard to deal with that uncertainty and I hope communication for Dr. Moon and others improves to reassure patients within each person's portfolio.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
No direct advice; continue to give each person time on the feedback calls; we really loved after our retrieval that we didn't receive the numbers we assumed would happen and Dr. Moon took a Sunday call with us to sort through it and give us feedback on how we would approach it moving forward!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon was clear in her protocol and treated us and our case with respect each time we met.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol - Lupron not HCG to lessen risk of OHSS; stimmed for 11 days with Gonal-F, Menopur, and then Ganirelix/Cetrotide. 29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA). Transferred 4AB embryo, pregnant but likely will be ending in a miscarriage (hcg not rising appropriately on second blood draw).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
We came into our first cycle as changes were being made to the nursing staff. Therefore, we went from having one primary nurse we worked with to having a team of nurses that seemed to change quite a bit. I would advise there has to be some sort of communication by the clinic to change these things; people get attached, and rightfully so in a process like this and when changes to nursing teams are made, it can make things like communication change. I'd like to see Shady Grove be more forthright with this information before changes simply show up.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Clinic can feel like a conveyor belt; personalized care with a doctor, when seen by your doctor, is good but between starting my IVF cycle and likely ending this pregnancy in a miscarriage, I've talked directly to my doctor four times which when I really think about it, is pretty low for a 45 day span of invasive treatments. I think there is a lot of responsibility built into this that the nurses play which is great, however, with the recent switch to team nursing it really can be hard to feel "connected" to anyone at the practice. I hope that Shady Grove is able to balance this out and provide continuous personalized care to many but also still being clear on the quality aspect!
Yes, total cluster 45 min wait times for some days. Not the best way to start and there is then no point to providing monitoring appointments if it's first-come first serve open-ended whenever you want to show up!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Covered by insurance
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
2014, Successful
Dr. Moon was used to working with SMCs and was recommended to me. She reviewed my file and gave me plenty of time to talk about my history and the potential options at her clinic. I knew what I wanted to do and she was quick to help me figure out next steps and also worked hard to help me determine which donor was the right one for me....She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer....
I think Shady Grove has a high quality lab and has high success due to this. The rest of the operation is large, I felt like a # and they had several major errors during my time there--for example failing to get an ultrasound on my egg donor on her last visit so they had her trigger without all of the necessary info...I had very little experience with the nursing staff due to using DE. The staff who were around during my transfer were fine....The clinic failed to complete the appropriate tests on the Egg Donor. The clinic gave me personal information about the donor which allowed me to know her name. ..
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I specifically sought out Dr. Moon on the recommendation of others due to the large size of the clinic and the factory feel of the operation. She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer.
I got pregnant on my first DE transfer so I didn't have a rigorous protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think Shady Grove has a high quality lab and has high success due to this. The rest of the operation is large, I felt like a # and they had several major errors during my time there--for example failing to get an ultrasound on my egg donor on her last visit so they had her trigger without all of the necessary info. The RE who handled my transfer was awful and I worried that he purposely botched my transfer due to his attitude. In the end, I luckily got pregnant that cycle and was done with any fertility treatments.
I chose a guaranteed DE program and it was expensive. I think the cost was $30,500. I've tried to block out the cost but my daughter was well worth the money!
The clinic strongly prefers eSET for DE.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic failed to complete the appropriate tests on the Egg Donor. The clinic gave me personal information about the donor which allowed me to know her name. The RE who completed my transfer didn't know the quality of all of my specimens and tried to browbeat me into transferring one without the information. In the end, an embryologist was able to provide that information within a few minutes and we proceeded. But I was beyond distraught by the RE's attitude and the lack of embryos from a proven egg donor. My RE, who I had been working with, did respond appropriately when I contacted her with my concerns.
Washington DC

We've had good experience [with Dr. Moon] albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
[nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls...Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We've had good experience albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
The more you ask her, the more info you'll get. She has also been through ivf herself and so understands from the patient point of view.
After second retrieval ended with no pgs normal eggs she spent a long time with us explaining the problems and what options we had. Never any pressure.
I think it was standard protocol with Menopur/Gonal f/ cetrotide and Lupron trigger. Good response, 5 embryos but only one normal. Fet failed. Second retrieval was Lupron Stop protocol with 375 Gonal f and 125 Menopur. Again good response, but all 4 embryos came back abnormal. Retrieval 3 starts tomorrow and back to first protocol. I took 2 months break and tried all the supplements etc of my own accord.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alex)
Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling.