Medical SchoolJohns Hopkins
ResidencyJohns Hopkins
FellowshipUCLA
1111 Harwood Drive South
Fargo, ND 58104
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kristen Cain to a friend?
6.6

6.3

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sanford Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
With my clinic there are 3 doctors you can see during your fertility treatments but my personality meshed the best with dr Cain. She is a very compassionate yet straight to the point lady which I appreciate. This is a very emotional experience and I found some other doctors made me more emotional which I didn’t necessarily like since I like to show my emotions in private. Dr Cain is very straight to the point and answers and explains any questions that we have. I feel like she genuinely cares and will do anything to help her patients yet she doesn’t cross any emotional boundaries. I do understand how some people may choose another doctor at my clinic if they want someone more “warm and fuzzy”. Don’t get my wrong DR Cain is extremely compassionate and I truly feel like she is invested in us and She is definitely my style of doctor but may not be the first choice for others.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
She will speak to you as an equal so if you do not understand anything or have questions on certain terms or procedures please ask. She is very good at explaining any questions that we have bc there were times we did not understand terminology, medicine, or what the next steps were.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
With my clinic there are 3 doctors you can see during your fertility treatments but my personality meshed the best with dr Cain. She is a very compassionate yet straight to the point lady which I appreciate. This is a very emotional experience and I found some other doctors mad me more emotional which I didn’t necessarily like since I like to show my emotions in private. Dr Cain is very straight to the point and answers and explains any questions that we have. I feel like she genuinely cares and will do anything to help her patients yet she doesn’t cross any emotional boundaries.
Describe the protocols Kristen Cain used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
I do not remember specifics with regards to the exact dosages and medicine. What I do know is that my clinic keeps a very close eye on me and my levels. I never felt like I was not being cared for or monitored. They do recommend accupuncture during your IVF transfer and she was very willing to research the specifics behind it for me.
My clinic is very small and I had a lot of the same nurses all the time even though I was not assigned one specifically. I feel that they make every patient feel special and cared for. They learn names quickly and seem to become invested in their lives and interests. Thoughout our time there there has been many more downs there have been ups and I have no doubt that they feel the pain of their patients and are cheering them on in the background
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is a separate building away from the hospital so it offers a lot of privacy. One thing that I do appreciate is they have a sign on the door asking patients not to bring children. They know this is an emotional experience for us and babies and small children may be hard for some patients to see while they are there.. the staff at Sanford in Fargo is also great. In the two years I have been going there I have seen little to zero turn over. Honestly I do not have to many things to say about weaknesses minus the cost. I feel like what they charge is above the average but being in North Dakota we do not have to many other options unless we want to travel. They do however offer some financing programs for patients. I believe this is a relatively new offering there so I did have to ask a lot of questions to get clarity on exactly what is covered under the loan company and what I am responsible for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I cannot recall the exact cost of the iui procedures because they were covered under insurance at that time. For our IVF cycle I believe not including medicine it was around 20k for an egg retrieval and 2 frozen transfers.
Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
Sioux Falls

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.

How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Cain was friendly and a pleasant doctor. She ordered infectious disease testing that I had already done in my past, and the results were in my record. Which was a large waste of money. I did 3 medicated IUIs with 5mg of femara with no pregnancies. I do not feel that that enough monitoring was done. I asked several times for testing to confirm when exactly I was ovulating, which was denied. She recommended continuing the same protocol, where I felt it was time to move on to other options, further testing, etc.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Do a lot of research on your own and have an idea of how many times you want to repeat procedures before moving on.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Very generic treatment. Questions were answered with “most people”, “usually this happens”, etc rather than giving individual care or testing to confirm expectations.
Describe the protocols Kristen Cain used in your cycles at Sanford Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr Cain repeated the same protocol for me. I ovulate on my own. Our only known issue is moderate male factor, 3% morphology, 20% motility. I ovulated 2-3 eggs on 5mg femara. Ovidrel trigger shot when follicles were mature and IUI 36 hours later. I did not get pregnant.
The nurses have a 24 hour response time, which can be frustrating when treatment is so time sensitive.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
This clinic is the only one in the area, and they take advantage of it. Treatment cost is 2-3x average and success rates are below average. We did IUIs there but are planning on traveling for IVF. I only saw my main provider, DR Cain a couple of times, otherwise I saw whatever NP or Dr that was available. They all follow the same protocols and patients aren’t really treated as individuals. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly. Particularly the ultrasound tech and phlebotomist stand out as providing great care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
IUI was a total of $2,000-$2,500/cycle
Describe Kristen Cain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
I have not discussed IvF with Dr Cain. We are planning on doing Ivf with a different clinic, but will monitored at her clinic.
Fargo

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine.

she [Dr. Kristen Cain] was very Blunt she told me I was overweight which I am about 5 to 10 pounds overweight she also mentioned to me that it was my fault the treatments weren't working because I wasn't fully understanding how to use the medication every time questions were asked I would felt scolded and this enabled me to switch doctors
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Doctor Kane seemed like she had a lot of knowledge however she was not willing to share that information with us when we asked questions we felt as if my questions were brushed to the side she made a lot of jokes about the money that she made and enjoying time in her hot tub after our appointment was over she also made recurrent jokes about we might alredy be pregnant even though my husband and I knew that we weren't during our appointments she was very Blunt she told me I was overweight which I am about 5 to 10 pounds overweight she also mentioned to me that it was my fault the treatments weren't working because I wasn't fully understanding how to use the medication every time questions were asked I would felt scolded and this enabled me to switch doctors
If you like sarcasm and you're out of very good place with your infertility journey Christine Caine is probably very knowledgeable if you already feel like you know a lot of information and you don't have many questions she may be a great doctor for you however if you like to ask questions about small details or if you don't understand why treatments are not working she is not one to give you explanations and to sit down with you and figure out or troubleshoot a different way to provide services and help you meet that end result of holding a precious baby in your arms
I felt like my questions were never accurately answered and I always felt rushed in-and-out of the clinic like there were so many other people that she needed to see I also was scolded on multiple occasions regarding asking questions about different medications
The protocol is very similar to many clinics in the US 1st she completed a medical history of both my husband and I followed by an HSG and semen analysis's from my husband labs were also taken for blood after all of this information was gathered we had a consultation to discuss the findings and our next steps we are diagnosed with unexplained infertility and our next steps are to begin medicated cycles with timed intercourse appointments were hauled from the 1st 1 to 3 days of your cycle and tell cycle days 9 through 12 where they could monitor the egg size and determine when to do the trigger shot and timed intercourse follow ups are performed after unsuccessful cycles And trouble shooting was completed through mostly questions of the patient
The nursing staff was much better than doctor Kane they would ask questions about how things are going and actually showed interests and compassion when cycles didn't work
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was very quick about getting you in on a timely manner they have a very nice and calming space it seems very private and was easily accessible for parking some weakness is may include lack of doctors lack of communication loss progress of treatments and last time spent answering questions
Most of the medicated cycles were covered by my insurance minus a small co-pay I you I was about 3000 for the 1st time due to required additional labs and for ever yet other time was closer to $2500 IVF was upwards of $20000

2013 - 2016
Dr Cain started out conservatively with my first IVF cycle. She noted that I always responded well to femara, so she was confident about getting enough good quality eggs without over stimulating....She recommended ICSI, as I was older and evidently older eggs can be difficult for the sperm to penetrate....Dr Cain was always professional and honest. She took the time to familiarize herself with my history at each visit. She was compassionate and encouraging. She talked to me on a level I could understand, never condescending. I felt comfortable and confident under her care.
2013 - 2016
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
Ask lots of questions. She will take the time to explain as many times as needed.
She always knew who I was, why I was there, what my history was
Dr Cain started out conservatively with my first IVF cycle. She noted that I always responded well to femara, so she was confident about getting enough good quality eggs without over stimulating. Bravelle + Menopur for follicle stimulation, then Ganirelix to prevent ovulation, and Novarel trigger. Menopur dosage was increased a little when my blood estrogen levels were low in the beginning. I used crinone for progesterone. She chose She recommended ICSI, as I was older and evidently older eggs can be difficult for the sperm to penetrate. She retrieved 9 eggs, all 9 fertilized. We transferred two on day 5, and froze 3. Both embryos implanted, but one was blighted ovum. I had a healthy single pregnancy and a full term live birth. Two years later, we did a frozen transfer. For that cycle, she altered the protocol a bit to accommodate my allergy to adhesive. Estrace: Oral, 2mg twice a day, increased to add vaginal estrogen, Progesterone: Crinone gel twice a day, then later added PIO. We transferred just one embryo, upon my request. Again, it was successful, though we terminated at 20 weeks due to severe anencephaly.
The nurses always communicated with me very thoroughly. I never had to wait long for an answer to a question or a test result.
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very well organized. No matter who I talked to, they always seemed to know what was going on with me. Everyone is friendly and helpful.
The costs were detailed early on in the process. I don't recall the specifics, but it was broken down by office visits, ultrasounds, lab work, retrieval, transfer, and extras like ICSI. The total was about $15,000 not including medications.
Dr Cain left it up to us to decide how many. She strongly recommended two both times.
Fargo

Dr. Cain was very pleasant and always answered our questions as they arose....She’s a very pleasant doctor and always answered questions in a manner that was helpful and informative. I just feel like we’ve been forgotten since our last visit. We almost always had to recount who we were and what we’d done in the past at every visit.... To date I’ve had a lot of bloodwork, a saline sonogram, a uterine polyp removal, and several visits. My husband has had two semen analyses. That’s about it
Keep in touch with clients more. This is a difficult road and feeling forgotten doesn’t make us too eager to come back.
Dr. Cain was very pleasant and always answered our questions as they arose. I feel she/her office could have reached out to us more though. We were last there in October 2017 and haven’t heard from them since. I feel like once we were presented with IVF being our only option and we needed time to secure funding they completely forgot about us.
We have yet to start working with a lot of medications. To date I’ve had a lot of bloodwork, a saline sonogram, a uterine polyp removal, and several visits. My husband has had two semen analyses. That’s about it
Always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
I feel they could be more aggressive with treatment, forthcoming with information and communication, and clear with clients. They did a good job with diagnosing but I feel we’re no further today than we were 15-months ago.
Insurance paid for most of our appointments but not her office visit fees ($250ish). Our insurance does not pay for IVF...which we were quoted around $20,000.
Describe Kristen Cain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine.
We only ever spoke with a financial counselor about this...not Dr. Cain.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine?
Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine
Sioux Falls

She is a very kind person and you can tell that she cares. Dr cain exaplain how i will hit menopose early and there is no real reason as to why. She sat down at table with us and disussed all our options...I feel like she cares as a person. But we do not have any fertile coverage so I feel like they just set us aside a little bit...The clinic [Sanford] was nice and clean and had a nice homey feel. The staff was super nice and friendly. They are open to anwering questions and they call you back in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Reproductive Medicine?
She is a very kind person and you can tell that she cares. Dr cain exaplain how i will hit menopose early and there is no real reason as to why. She sat down at table with us and disussed all our options. The nurses have been very kind as well with asking question through mychart But if dont have the fertility coverage or lots of money you get lost in the bunch
Be precentant and don't be afraid to ask questions
They were empathic
Describe your experience with Sanford Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was nice and clean and had a nice homey feel. The staff was super nice and friendly. They are open to anwering questions and they call you back in a timely manner. For a weakness a downfall would ne that they do not work with any organizations that i know of to help patients get funding.
Everything was out of pocket