Nurse available by email
FellowshipHarvard
8010 Frost Street
San Diego, CA 92123
858.505.5500
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kristi Maas to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Specialists Medical Group to a friend?
When you sit down with Dr. Maas for a consult, she is kind. But for most of the appointments (monitoring, discussing treatment, etc.), she seems rushed and does not ask if you have any questions. Often times I left my appointment wondering what happened or why something was recommended next. I often felt in the dark. I wrote a list of questions to ask at the next appointment and I stopped her before she left to ask her about it all. This made me feel like I was just a patient to collect insurance and copayments from, not to help along in this difficult journey. Also, at most appointments, I was asked by various staff when my LMP was even though I have completely anovulatory PCOS. It seemed like the clinic should have this noted in my chart, and that made me feel like a number rather than a person.
How was your experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Dr. Maas is kind, intelligent and well-trained. I appreciated that she does seem to care, but she seems to have too many patients. I did NOT feel well cared for by her or this clinic. The rushed time at monitoring appointments and insufficient explanations in the process were defeating.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
If you have any questions, ask before you leave. Also, know that there are other doctors who have more time and better systems in place where you can receive the individualized support you need. Do not settle for a doctor just because you're already there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group?
Describe the protocols Kristi Maas used in your cycles at Fertility Specialists Medical Group and their degree of success.
My very first cycle under the care of a fertility specialist was with Dr. Maas. She recommended Letrozole (lowest dose) and timed intercourse. Initially I wasn't responding to the medication, but she recommended that we wait a few days and then check on my response. It appeared that I would be ovulating and she prescribed me Ovidrel injection for ovulation and we did timed intercourse. Two weeks later, I had a negative pregnancy test and I never got a period. Dr. Maas thought for sure that I ovulated (but my second RE thinks I never did). My second cycle was also with Letrozole at a higher dose. I did not respond initially. I was seen by Dr. Maas's colleague that day and she prescribed me the highest dose of Letrozole. No one ever explained this to me so it honestly felt like the wrong treatment for me. I felt uneasy and uncared for so did not complete the cycle because of skepticism with the office. No pregnancy resulted.
This office has many different nurses, and I often saw a different nurse each time. I never got to learn their names even though I had been at the clinic for over 6 months. Nurses are friendly, but they are frustratingly difficult to communicate with. They also . When my husband got his semen analysis, I called the office about the results/interpretation and a nurse said she would "spread the word" about the results to be on the lookout for them and then call me back. This response was unprofessional and awkward, and we never did get a call back that day. It was a Friday so we gave them the benefit of the doubt as having a busy day, but we still did not get the results until I called again that Monday or Tuesday. Communication with nurses was one of the most frustrating parts of my time with this clinic. Often you could not get ahold of a nurse so you would be sent to voicemail and the majority of the time you would not get a call back. If you did get to talk to a nurse, it was a different one each time. I felt like I (and my my concerns/questions/voicemails) got lost in the poorly organized system of this office.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths of this clinic include having two locations in San Diego, nice offices, and great availability for appointments. The Carlsbad location is really nice and new. The San Diego office is very large. It is easy to get appointments same day/week. However, these factors don't really matter as much compared to the office's weaknesses. Weaknesses of this clinic include terrible communication, disorganization, poor systems and disjointed staff. Communication is their biggest downfall. Doctors are too busy to explain what they are doing and why. Doctors act like they are trying to see as many patients as humanly possible in a day so they can collect a bigger paycheck (from you and from your insurance). Never expect a phone call or email from a nurse - let alone from a doctor here. With an office this big, two locations, and so many staff members, there REALLY needs to be systems in place. The disorganization here is frustrating. For example, sometimes I was seen in both locations and my files were not always in the right location, even though I spoke with the front desk about ensuring my files would be available when I made each appointment. Also, when I finally decided I deserved better patient care, I requested my medical records and some of the records were missing. I had to advocate for myself to get the complete set of records because this office didn't have it all together themselves.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
With TRICARE Standard, my copayment for monitoring ultrasound and blood work was about $30. Most everything else was covered.
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kristi Maas at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.

Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I am lucky to have Dr. Maas has my fertility doctor. She has made this process a lot easier because this whole process is very emotional, physically demanding, and financially straining. Dr. Maas listened carefully to my wants and needs.... I was able to see her during almost every appointment which was great.... I saw Dr.Maas after 7 failed iui’s. I was 39 when starting the IVF process, so my age was the main factor. I did not have endometriosis, PCOS, and both my tubes were clear. All of my numbers were good as I was going through all the iui’s
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I am lucky to have Dr. Maas has my fertility doctor. She has made this process a lot easier because this whole process is very emotional, physically demanding, and financially straining. Dr. Maas listened carefully to my wants and needs. She asked about my prior fertility treatments and made a new plan for me. I was able to see her during almost every appointment which was great.
Trust the process. The doctors and nurses are rooting for you and want to see you get pregnant.
She had a open and honest conversation with me. She explained all the necessary items pertaining to IVF. She was gentle but also blunt when needed.
I saw Dr.Maas after 7 failed iui’s. I was 39 when starting the IVF process, so my age was the main factor. I did not have endometriosis, PCOS, and both my tubes were clear. All of my numbers were good as I was going through all the iui’s, but I did have a fibroid but it was in a good area (if there is such a place). I thought I didn’t have anything that could prevent me from getting pregnant, so my previous doctor was shocked at all my negative iui’s and told me I had unexplained infertility. After that I went to Dr. Maas because I knew IVF was the next step for me. For my medications leading up to my egg retrieval, I was on 150 Menopur a night and 300 mg of Gonal-f. I did these shots for 11 nights. I also did Centroid for 5 or 6 days. My egg retrieval was fairly easy. Overall, only the cost of the IVF cycle was hard. Medications weren’t that bad, some bruising on my stomach and I didn’t really have any reactions to them. I planned on doing a frozen embryo and genetic testing because I needed to get my thyroid down first. (Didn’t have a thyroid problem when starting the iui’s but my thyroid number increased sometime during those iui’s.)
Every nurse that I came into contact with was great! They really cared about me and wanted me to get pregnant.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
The clinics are clean and organized. Almost every person I came into contact with was very nice. My clinic has two offices which is a positive and a negative. The clinic closest to my house was great for some appointments and early morning blood tests before I had to go to work. One weakness is that the clinic closer to my house is not staffed all the time. So I had to drive almost an hour to the other office many times. They also do not have late appointments. Their last appointment is at 2:30pm. This was very challenging for my work schedule.
The large amount for IVF was $11,200. Anesthesia was $500. Genetic testing was $4,500. Medication was $3000 -3500 (but I had some from prior treatments so it would have been another $1,000 embryo transfer is $3,500
Describe Kristi Maas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
I had 6 embryos make it to Day 5 and ready for genetic testing and to freeze. Unfortunately I only had 1 embryo come back as inconclusive, so we tested that embryo again and it came back normal! So for my embryo transfer I only had one little fighter go in.
San Diego

Dr. Maas took the time to explain everything to us in as much detail as we asked for. She spent several hours of consultation with us during our treatments. She gave hugs when needed. She called me personally to let me know when cycles didn't work.... Dr. Maas is incredibly smart and an excellent communicator. She helped us feel empowered throughout the process while helping us keep realistic expectations. She uses evidence based practice every step of the way.
You are in excellent hands with her. Please note that she works between two offices so you may have to drive farther to see her on some days if you dont want to see a different doctor in the practice.
My first IUI cycle was with clomid with an ovidrel trigger. Second was letrozole+gonal-f with ovidrel trigger. Third was gonal-f+cetrotide (antagonist protocol) with ovidrel trigger. My only ivf cycle was gonal-f+menopur and was planning on using micro hcg and cetrotide but it was cancelled due to poor response.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Specialists Medical Group. (Assigned nurse: Erica)
All of the staff was fantastic!! They were warm, welcoming, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Fertility Specialists Medical Group.
Strengths: multiple locations for monitoring and consults, several doctors, organized. Weaknesses: procedures only at the office farther away from me, and you have to pay for parking which just adds insult to injury after paying thousands of dollars for treatment.
Insurance covered IUI procedures but not meds. IVF would have costed around $10 thousand. We put down a $6k deposit but got it back after our cycle was cancelled.