Medical SchoolU of S Dakota
FellowshipCleveland Clinic
10777 Nall Avenue
Overland Park, KS 66211
913-588-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kristin Holoch to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
Our initial visit [with Dr. Holoch] was very straightforward and a plan was developed. I think after that I had more concerns about discovering the true reason behind my infertility and multiple miscarriages and so far have no answers in that regard. Not sure if they don't explore as the treatments are all the same though. She has adjusted medication behind the scene but have not seen since first visit.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Our initial visit was very straightforward and a plan was developed. I think after that I had more concerns about discovering the true reason behind my infertility and multiple miscarriages and so far have no answers in that regard. Not sure if they don't explore as the treatments are all the same though. She has adjusted medication behind the scene but have not seen since first visit.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you write out your questions up front and don't be afraid to ask as there is not time later on to go back over them with her.
Describe the protocols Kristin Holoch used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Medicated IUI cycle with clomid on cycle day 3-5, an ultrasound around day 12, an ovedril injection shot, and then prometrium for two weeks after insemination. Prometrium as I have had two miscarriages. For cycle two added additional medication, letrzole as I had one ultrasound showing small follicles and my second ultrasound showed they shrinked so started that for 5 days and by third ultrasound there was one mature follicle. Both cycles resulted in negative tests. On third cycle now
Some of the nurses were incredibly compassionate and answered my questions and some refused to give me any information during the ultrasound, saying it would be gone over later. I also overheard a nurse comment that she was selling IVF when she was giving me our overview packet but she might have meant it in another way. Otherwise they are excellent and usually call back quite quickly and are accommodating with their hours
Describe your experience with Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Strengths is hours and having everything in one location. Weakness is timeliness only when it comes to IUI procedure. It is usually an hour after scheduled time which is hard to plan around and the waiting can cause anxiety
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Medications ranged form 50-$100 dollars for each and I have taken four different types with each cycle. Ultrasounds are around $150 and I had to have three one cycle. Insemination is $650.
Describe Kristin Holoch's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Preference for single embryo
Overland Park
I was only able to see Dr. Holloch one time at our initial consult....Upon meeting Dr Holloch she was kind and compassionate... We were disappointed that it would be the only time we ever actually saw her over our treatment of 8 months. And we’re told the only way we would be able to see her would be to schedule an IVF consult...Dr. Holloch suggested we try 4 rounds of chlomid (50 mg) in our own
Upon meeting Dr Holloch she was kind and compassionate. She provided my husband and I with our first feeling of hope to expand our family in a year. We were disappointed that it would be the only time we ever actually saw her over our treatment of 8 months. And we’re told the only way we would be able to see her would be to schedule an IVF consult.
I would say to have done research. Know the important questions to ask, things to expects, and to discuss your expectations as patients with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristin Holoch at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
I was only able to see Dr. Holloch one time at our initial consult. During each monthly visit I had a new nurse who clearly had not reviewed my file and did not ask the questions I had assumed would be important to know for my appointment. Ie mid sonogram would ask if I was in for egg retrieval’s or IUIs.
After reviewing my medical history and tests I had already completed through my obgyn at an attempt to discuss the factor causing my infertility. She determined the best plan was to have my husband complete two separate semen analysis - both which came back with “perfect” little swimmers. After ruling out make factor and knowing all my tests came back “normal” Dr. Holloch suggested we try 4 rounds of chlomid (50 mg) in our own aka take a pill everyday for a week then use our OPK at home kits to know the days we should be doing the baby dance. 4 months later no baby. Month 5 and 6 Dr. Holloch had planned to increase chlomid to 100 mg and start IUIS. Neither helped. Dr hollochs (aka her nurses) next recommendation was to schedule an IVF consult (for a small fee of 350$) with Dr Holloch as this was the “next best step and only solution” for my family.
The nursing staff were all over the place. Over 6 months at the clinic I never had the same nurse. I was disturbed that each nurse would have a different answer to my same question. During my second IUI the nurse laughed as she was in the middle of turkey basting me and said “oh I hope I did that right” .. me too since I just paid the receptionist over 600 dollars. Other nurses made promises that today was the day you would be making a baby - not a good thing to promise a desperate woman.
Overall the nurses are friendly but disorganized. Don’t expect to have a personal relationship formed at this clinic with the staff. I certainly felt like another number not a human being trying to build a family.
600 dollars for one round of IUI. 200 dollars per sonogram before the IUI (this cost depends on your insurance, my insurance covered 60% of cost 200 is what I was still owed) 250 dollars for an initial consult. 350 dollars for IVF consult. My HSG test was quoted at up to 2500 dollars and thankfully insurance covered almost all of that. Each semen analysis was a couple hundred dollars (do not recall specific amount).
What specific things went wrong at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Holoch was always very kind and supportive....Dr. Holoch was a great doctor--caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed during my appointments with her. Her explanations were also clear and easy to understand--she was talented at explaining complex concepts to patients without any medical background....I was able to begin ovarian stimulation with Dr. Holoch in anticipation of going through IVF.... I only had 5 eggs, and my estrogen levels were low enough that Dr. Holoch did not think I would have more than 1 viable egg.
4 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Holoch was a great doctor--caring and compassionate. I never felt rushed during my appointments with her. Her explanations were also clear and easy to understand--she was talented at explaining complex concepts to patients without any medical background. I would recommend her to anyone experiencing infertility.
I don't really have any advice to give. Dr. Holoch was great.
Dr. Holoch was always very kind and supportive.
I went through 3 unsuccessful IUIs with my own eggs with a different doctor who ended up leaving the KU Med clinic I went to. A few months later, thanks to funding we received from the Baby Quest Foundation, I was able to begin ovarian stimulation with Dr. Holoch in anticipation of going through IVF. Unfortunately, the stimulation was not successful. I only had 5 eggs, and my estrogen levels were low enough that Dr. Holoch did not think I would have more than 1 viable egg. She therefore recommended canceling the IVF and instead doing an IUI, which was not successful. I was then 37. My wife at the time was 28. Given the lack of success with my eggs, we decided to begin an IVF cycle with her eggs. She went through the stimulation and had 13 eggs retrieved, 11 of which were mature. We ended up with 5 fertilized eggs (with sperm from a donor), 2 of which gave us good embryos. We froze the embryos and 1 of them was transferred into my uterus a month later. This is how we had our son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Christina Williams was the primary nurse. Different coordinators were in charge at different points in time.)
Dr. Holoch was great, but her staff was a disaster. Nurses kept forgetting that my wife and I were a same-sex couple, that she was going to go through egg retrieval and that I was going to carry the baby. The clinic was a bit of a circus. We'd show up at the time of our appointment and it was basically unpredictable whether we'd be seen on time, or how much time it would take. More than once, they ordered the wrong medications and/or forgot to order certain medications. If I had not been on top of things, I would have missed some of the medications I was supposed to take during the stimulation period. Our experience with this clinic was not great. If we had known this ahead of time, we would have selected a different clinic. We're not sure who is to blame--the doctor, the nursing/coordinating team, the system in place, or all of the above.
Because the nursing staff was very disorganized, we did not have a great experience with this clinic. We do not know if our experience extends to the whole clinic or just to the staff who worked with Dr. Holoch. Either way, we would not recommend this clinic.
The canceled IVF cycle, the successful IVF cycle, and the egg transfer ended up costing about $15,000. This does not include any of the medicine.
Given the higher risk associated with twin pregnancies, and because my wife was younger and her eggs were likely to be healthy, Dr. Holoch recommended transferring only 1 embryo at a time, which is what we did.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr. Holoch was very kind and understood our hopes of starting a family. She helped us with all testing, diagnosis, and explained everything prior to making any final decisions regarding our fertility treatments....Dr. Holoch was very kind and very thorough. She explained what we needed to do as a couple to be healthy and get our bodies prepared for a baby. She also would go over potential set backs and what we would do at each visit.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Ask the questions! No matter what it is, she was always willing to answer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer/Shannon)
Jenn is amazing! She is so sweet and friendly. She was not afraid of all my silly questions and was very honest if she was unsure of the answer. Shannon is also friendly, you can tell she works very hard.
Strengths: overall time you are there. I work 40+ hours a week and I want to get in and out. They answer all questions. Good teamwork. Very friendly Weakness: direct phone lines, you have to jump through hoops to get where ya need to be and always have to leave a message
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Very efficient
Expensive but what fertility treatments aren’t!?
Overland Park
I felt like she [Dr. Kristin Holoch] was very knowledgeable and respectful of our situation. She seemed interested in what we had to say, and what we had experienced up until our first appointment with her. She was friendly, down to earth, and extremely proactive.... She was extremely thorough and to the point, yet very knowledgeable and friendly.
I felt like she was very knowledgeable and respectful of our situation. She seemed interested in what we had to say, and what we had experienced up until our first appointment with her. She was friendly, down to earth, and extremely proactive.
Write down all of your questions! She will answer them all!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shannon)
Fan. Freaking. Tastic. Cannot say enough about how compassionate, and relatable, and friendly, and intelligent she is. She seriously makes the entire trip to the clinic so easy. Hands down the best nurse we've ever worked with!
I feel like the staff at this clinic do a very good job of making you feel welcome and comfortable. We are often put in a lot of really awkward situations, and a majority of the staff here have helped ease that discomfort!
General consultation appointment-$300 Sonogram-$187/ea IUI-$600 ($300 IUI, $300 Semen part) Bloodwork-Varies on testing.