Strongly recommend: 100%9.7

nurse available by email
Kristin Van Heertum works at

345 23rd Ave. N
Nashville, TN 37203

There were nurses scheduled to perform the actual IUI, but the first IUI was trickier than expected to Dr Van Heertum came in to do it herself. That one didn't pan out, but I came back a month later and we got our successful IUI...[she] was consistently warm and kind, both to me and my wife, and seemed appropriately invested in our care...She was involved, gentle, and effective. At times I had to follow up with more questions or self-advocate, as she didn't always remember all the details we'd agreed on for my treatment, but she was responsive to my feedback and considered me thoughtfully when we were making decisions about our IUI. We conceived on our second unmedicated IUI, and transferred to my OB after our first 6wk visit with Dr Van Heertum, who offered (due to COVID-19) to see us for a couple more appointments if necessary (depending on our OB's practices - we weren't sure at the time) to ensure the continued heal
[Nashville Fertility Center is] Very LGBTQ inclusive, with a supportive and nonjudgmental staff. They were effective and helped us get pregnant quickly. Most people were exceptionally kind, but I had to be sure to self-advocate (ESPECIALLY once coronavirus started shifting their staff schedules) to make sure I was treated according to my specific needs rather than to the default. Disappointing communication breakdowns during beginning of coronavirus changes, but I'm under the impression that has since improved. There have been some billing errors and other communication-related blunders, but there has also been an exceptionally helpful and involved staff to help me troubleshoot and make sure those problems are solved.
How was your experience with Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center?
She was involved, gentle, and effective. At times I had to follow up with more questions or self-advocate, as she didn't always remember all the details we'd agreed on for my treatment, but she was responsive to my feedback and considered me thoughtfully when we were making decisions about our IUI. We conceived on our second unmedicated IUI, and transferred to my OB after our first 6wk visit with Dr Van Heertum, who offered (due to COVID-19) to see us for a couple more appointments if necessary (depending on our OB's practices - we weren't sure at the time) to ensure the continued health of our baby. She was compassionate and nonjudgmental.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center?
Dr Van Heertum was consistently warm and kind, both to me and my wife, and seemed appropriately invested in our care.
Describe the protocols Kristin Van Heertum used in your cycles at Nashville Fertility Center and their degree of success.
We went in for my initial consultation in January, where I opted for genetic testing and general bloodwork. She also gave us sperm bank recommendations. Due to our use of donor sperm, we were then required to see a reproductive counselor for one session before continuing treatment. We also had a saline sonogram done, and found no cause to suspect any potential fertility issues, so Dr Van Heertum recommended we try a few cycles with an unmedicated IUI. There were nurses scheduled to perform the actual IUI, but the first IUI was trickier than expected to Dr Van Heertum came in to do it herself. That one didn't pan out, but I came back a month later and we got our successful IUI. We did all our bloodwork at the clinic and then had a 6wk ultrasound and appointment with Dr Van Heertum.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Nashville Fertility Center.
It's hard to fault the nursing staff for the breakdowns in communication, because I was beginning my second cycle right at the start of coronavirus. The staff was put on an alternating schedule and it made getting and giving clear and streamlined information quite challenging. I think they were all doing their best in relatively impossible circumstances, and I don't imagine things haven't improved since getting into a new rhythm, but communication was frustrating and disorienting by the time I started getting my IUIs.
Describe your experience with Nashville Fertility Center.
What specific things went wrong at Nashville Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Nashville Fertility Center.
At the beginning of the coronavirus (I had both my IUIs in March 2020) I was aware that things may change and reached out on several occasions to make sure I was up to date with the current protocol. I was told that I'd be informed in advance of any changes, and I also received emails and checked their website regularly, where it said clearly that they were continuing to operate as usual, just with some added safety measures. I spoke to the on-call doctor the Saturday night that I got my positive OPK, and he said to call Monday morning and get in for the earliest possible appointment. But when I called Monday morning, they told me they weren't doing IUIs anymore. Obviously I was shocked and frustrated, since I'd been diligently checking to ensure my expectations were fairly set, and I didn't find out this change in policy until the day I was meant to receive my treatment. After a few tearful conversations, and because I had spoken to the on-call doctor, they wound up allowing me to come in for my IUI after all (and that was the one that yielded our pregnancy!), but it was an immensely stressful and emotional morning and the weeks that followed were similarly chaotic re: communication (ie getting a different nurse every time I called). These were not normal circumstances, and I know that - I really think the situation merits a great deal of grace and understanding, and they were working incredibly hard on impossible times. That said, my regular OB's office (Not my RE) was clear, communicative, and transparent in a way that really set the bar and I do think the situation at NFC could've been handled better.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Van Heertum was always very thorough and explained procedures and risks. She was optimistic but also realistic with us. She performed my laparoscopy surgery and diagnosed me with stage 1 endo. She was very straight forward with next steps and provided a thorough IVF plan...Will only transfer multiple embryos if you choose to not genetically test..
[the Nashville Fertility] Nurses were great but sometimes you get a different nurse and have to refresh them on your protocol...$15K per egg retrieval not including medications...The strengths of the clinic is the scheduling is easy and the staff are nice. The office is clean and runs very smoothly even on busy days. The weaknesses would include limited financial options and bloodwork labs are often backed up. I would also like to see the doctor a bit more during the cycle.
How was your experience with Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center?
Ask any questions you have!
Dr Van Heertum was great at making us feel comfortable and was very compassionate
IVF protocol #1 included 150 of Gonal-F, 10 units of microHCG every other day. I only stimmed for 9 days
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Nashville Fertility Center.
Describe your experience with Nashville Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center.
$15K per egg retrieval not including medications
Describe Kristin Van Heertum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Nashville Fertility Center.
Will only transfer multiple embryos if you choose to not genetically test
What specific things went wrong at Nashville Fertility Center?
Nashville

Dr. Van Heertum is a fantastic doctor. She is caring, empathetic and compassionate. We always had discussions about our next steps, which was so important for us. When we were ready to move on from IUI, she had our next steps all ready for us. She is willing to adjust plans when things don't go as anticipated...We transferred one embryo based upon SART guidelines which takes into account my age and our embryos were PGS tested.
The [Nashville Fertility Center] clinic is busy, but everyone was nice. I have a crazy work schedule and they were always able to accommodate me. I never had to wait long in the waiting room and they were very efficient. It is also nice to have the lab and surgery center all right there. I had my egg retrievals done by two other doctors and they were very nice and took great care of us...We paid out of pocket and each IVF cycle is about 13,000 dollars. The transfer process is around 3,000.
How was your experience with Kristin Van Heertum at Nashville Fertility Center?
Dr. Van Heertum is a fantastic doctor. She is caring, empathetic and compassionate. We always had discussions about our next steps, which was so important for us. When we were ready to move on from IUI, she had our next steps all ready for us. She is willing to adjust plans when things don't go as anticipated. She is also a great surgeon and takes great care of you in the operating room. Highly recommend!
Trust her and bring a list of questions to your appointments!
Dr. Van Heertum took all of our concerns seriously and would call us after hours to discuss our plan of care. She was very invested in our care and outcome.
Describe your experience with Nashville Fertility Center.
The clinic is busy, but everyone was nice. I have a crazy work schedule and they were always able to accommodate me. I never had to wait long in the waiting room and they were very efficient. It is also nice to have the lab and surgery center all right there. I had my egg retrievals done by two other doctors and they were very nice and took great care of us.