Medical SchoolMount Sinai
FellowshipU. of Pennsylvania
3701 Market St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
800-789-7366
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kurt Barnhart to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care to a friend?
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's [Dr. Kurt Barnhart] probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
I didn't spend a whole lot of time with Dr. Barnhart, but when I did he was very knowledgeable and informative -- he was kind of science-y, but I liked that because we were dealing with lots of scientific info, probability, and various medical and scientific choices we had to make. So I liked him. But he isn't the warmest, fuzziest doctor, and he only did some of my procedures due to scheduling.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
If you're looking for a warm and fuzzy doctor with a communicative bedside manner, he's probably not your doc. However, if you're interested in someone who knows the latest research, is really into statistics and facts, and has seen the latest treatments and tons of patients, that's his specialty (in my mind). I spent a lot more time in his personal office than I did in a patient/clinical room.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care?
The nurse accessibility and care was very good. -- there are a lot of doctors in the practice, and I really liked pretty much all of them, but not a ton of consistency in who you saw, it just depended on the day you went in. At no point did I feel like a number rather than a human even though they clearly had a "process" but that made it more efficient I thought.
Describe the protocols Kurt Barnhart used in your cycles at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care and their degree of success.
He started with the least interventionist, IUI, but quickly recommended I consider switching to full IVF when our first attempts weren't successful. I think they expected, due to my numbers and my husband's previous experience, it to be more successful than it was the first time, but then when it wasn't he encouraged us to "step it up" and I was glad about that. He didn't seem focused on success in numbers, though -- he seemed focused on success with me as an individual in having a baby. He was thoughtful about how many embryos to put in, and he knew how to explain my choices at each step of the way and letting us know when there was really no right answer -- and when there sort of was a "right answer" if we wanted to up our chances of getting pregnant. I can't remember the specirics of my protocols -- I did lots of injections and they had me doing the progesterone shots for 10 full weeks after I got pregnant, in order to help the pregnancy succeed . . .
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda Efymow)
Brenda was efficient and available. Sometimes I felt that she was a little overwhelmed with having a lot of work, and a couple of times I wasn't sure she quite remembered the specifics of my case. But she was always available when I needed her and I really appreciated her letting me text her. I would have random questions about this or that and she was very patient with me in answering them and always answered quickly. That helped me so much because I didn't have to pick up the phone and call her every single time.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
It's more like a doctor's office than a clinic. For example, I happened to go with a friend to another fertility clinic and it felt more comprehensively about getting you pregnant -- almost a marketing thing, really. Since Penn is a research hospital it was much more about --here's our latest research study, you can sign up, and just more of a doctor's office. I was more than happy to participate in the research though and appreciated being part of that, and I knew that my doctors were up on the latest research and treatments. I have heard that there are other clinics that are just focused on numbers, numbers, numbers, and they are potentially more aggressive with drugs etc, I don't know details on that, but I never felt that way at Penn and felt that I was part of a great health system and system of doctors, nurses and researchers who were contributing to the greater good and also getting us a baby. (Who is the best thing that's every happened! He is so awesome!)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kurt Barnhart at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Everything was covered under my health insurance and the process that I had to go through with it was very efficient and easy to navigate with the staff person working on it.
Phila - Market
Dr.Barnhart is very forward with you. I think that’s what I love the most. I have a heart disease and PCOS. Other doctor werent willing to work with me. Dr.Barnhart understand my heart disease and is giving me the best treatment possible.... He knows what he is doing. Just isn’t that heart warming, but if you are looking for someone very true and forward he is your guy.... They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file.
They always call you by your name. They have everything in order before speaking with you they review your whole file. They know what’s going on with your medical history.
Very carrying. Returns calls right away or same day. Which I love
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Wish they had a closer clinic to me. I drive an hour to get to the office. It’s in the city so I always have to pay for parking. So far this has been the best office. Looking forward to continue my treatment.
My insurance pays for most of my treatment. Considering IUI that will be a cost of around $500
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
He's [Dr. Barnhart] probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
3 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I really liked Dr. Barnhart. He had a kind way about him, and was obviously deeply involved in research as well, which I am a big fan of. I felt like he was on the cutting edge of his field. And he was very kind. I dealt on a day-to-day basis with his nurse, Brenda, who I loved equally as much. So together, they were a great team.
He's probably a little bit more research-oriented than some doctors. But very kind, and with a nice manner.
I had a very good personal relationship with my nurse, Brenda, who kept me up-to-date daily or whenever I had questions. Dr. Barnhart and the whole team at Penn Fertility care or wonderful. They did seem to know the details about my case, and we're always available to answer questions when needed. They were also very helpful with the financial aspects of our situation. Overall, it was a great team!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Brenda E)
Her availability when I had any sort of questions whatsoever.
Phila - Market
From first impression he [Dr. Barnhart] was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions... He is polite and educated. He takes his time to explain things . He doesn’t rush you out of his office . He will answer the same question a thousands times if needed. He explains all options and all risk.... He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.... Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
Pick Dr. Barnhart as your Doctor .
From first impression he was very nice and polite . He took time to listen to my journey and answered all questions . I like him .
I don’t remember sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Denmaree )
She was funny and polite . Some of the other staff didn’t return my call timely and I didn’t like that.
Describe your experience with University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
Strength the office is convient and they validate parking . The waiting is always clean and they water ,tv and reading material weakness returning calls timely ( not the nurse staff the finance team)
Around 9k
Describe Kurt Barnhart's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University of Pennsylvania Penn Fertility Care.
He only does 1 embryo . He said multiple is to risky on the first transfer.