Naval Medical Center

Nurse available by emailDoctor available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Texas Southwestern
ResidencyU. of Texas Southwestern
34800 BOB WILSON DR
San Diego, CA 92134
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Larry Laufer to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Naval Medical Center to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 100%9.8
He's a great doctor, funny, and I had a great experience. I like the fact that he [Dr. Laufer] will work with your schedule so you don't miss a work or an important event. If I have questions about anything, he will answer it.... For IUI I've done gonal f and ovidrel. Most of the time I have to increase and sometimes decrease. I responded great but did not get pregnant. For my 1st IVF cycle, I was on antagonist protocol and had to take gonal f, menopur, ganirelix and ovidrel then patches and progesterone.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He's a great doctor, funny, and I had a great experience. I like the fact that he will work with your schedule so you don't miss a work or an important event. If I have questions about anything, he will answer it.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Ask questions if you want to know your E2 level, follicles sizes, etc.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
He's a great doctor and he works around my schedule so I don't miss work or miss an important event.
Describe the protocols Larry Laufer used in your cycles at Naval Medical Center and their degree of success.
For IUI I've done gonal f and ovidrel. Most of the time I have to increase and sometimes decrease. I responded great but did not get pregnant. For my 1st IVF cycle, I was on antagonist protocol and had to take gonal f, menopur, ganirelix and ovidrel then patches and progesterone. Dr. Laufer did the retrieval and retrieved 17 eggs, 10 fertilized, got 5 embryos of day 5/day 6. The first transfer (different doctor transferred the embryo), I got positive pregnancy but ended as a chemical pregnancy. For my FET (#2,#3,#4) I used patches and progesterone, but did not get pregnant.
They're all great and they know my name since they see me often. They always great you with a smile.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
The clinic is great and very easy to find. Sometimes parking is very hard to find. I suggest that if you're new patient, it is best to come there early to give yourself time to find parking. Sometimes there's traffic at the gate to get in. Afternoon appointments are better because there's plenty of parking around that time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center.
IUI procedure and meds were free. IVF was not free and we had to pay to the one they had contract with but meds were free.
Describe Larry Laufer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Naval Medical Center.
My doctors explained single embryo transfer vs multiple embryo transfer and it depends on your age too.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
He [Dr. Larry Laufer] has a good bedside manner and thoroughly explained each step of treatment as it came up. When I had concerns, he never made me feel like a burden or a "troublesome" patient, he addressed each concern promptly and ordered appropriate testing to ease my nerves. This was my first cycle taking injectable medication and he took adequate time to explain the process and demonstrate how to administer the injections.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Dr. Laufer is a seasoned doctor with a wealth of knowledge regarding infertility treatment. He has a good bedside manner and thoroughly explained each step of treatment as it came up. When I had concerns, he never made me feel like a burden or a "troublesome" patient, he addressed each concern promptly and ordered appropriate testing to ease my nerves. This was my first cycle taking injectable medication and he took adequate time to explain the process and demonstrate how to administer the injections.
I would recommend him thoroughly. Don't hesitate to ask him questions, he is well prepared to answer them and will do so in a professional and kind manner.
Dr. Laufer has always been very kind while treating me. He returns phone calls promptly to discuss my concerns and was very kind when clinical findings showed a recent miscarriage.
This cycle included gonal-F and an Ovidrel trigger shot. I started the cycle after a monitoring sonogram to confirm I did not have any pre-existing issues that would interfere with the cycle. Mid-way through the injections blood work and sonogram were used to monitor progress, the medication doses were adjusted and I was called in again a few days later for a repeat scan.
The staff is helpful and kind. It's sometimes hard to get someone to answer the phone, but that is only because of how busy the clinic is. Calls are always promptly returned.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
As a military installation, I was pleased to find the care I needed in network. The clinic is very busy but I always felt well taken care of and could get in quickly for follow-up visits as needed. The waitlist for IVF is very long however.
Care was covered by insurance.
San Diego
Dr. Larry Laufer is very kind and compassionate, and I feel that he is highly knowledable regarding the procedures and medications. I personally know a few people that were able to conceive after having them as their doctor, so that gives me hope. After each visit, he concludes your time there while visiting with you in his office, which is very professional.... Be prepared to ask questions that you want answered. He'll answer them, but if you don't ask, he doesn't always know what you don't tell him you don't know.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Be prepared to ask questions that you want answered. He'll answer them, but if you don't ask, he doesn't always know what you don't tell him you don't know. Many of his patients have been TTC for a long time, and know a great deal about the process, so he doesn't know what questions you have unless you ask.
As is the process with military hospitals, frequently it is a numbers game. I'm happy to be on the waitlist for IVF, meanwhile receiving treatment to try to conceive in the process. The staff is partially caring, and some of them are very serious, and non-empathetic.
So far we have just done one cycle, beginning with blood draw for my AMH levels in June, and a semen analysis a few weeks ago. I had a baseline ultrasound completed several weeks ago, and then a IUI about a week ago. I used Gonal F injections and then a trigger shot the day prior. It's too early to know any results.
The nurse that was in the exam room while I had my ultrasound done was blatantly unengaged. She just stood there by the light, even yawning loudly several times. I don't think she even made eye contact once, nor did she ever ask if I was comfortable, or if I needed anything. The front desk nurse, and also the one that explained the processes and the way everything is supposed to work, were all amazing.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
The thing to understand about using this clinic is that there are many patients, so there is a waitlist for the IVF procedure. The clinic is fantastic about prescribing the medications and then the convenience to pick up the medications immediately onsite.
The only cost that wasn't covered was the sperm storage and associated fees which was necessary for the IUI procedure, due to my husband being deployed at the time of the procedure.
No knowledge of this procedure
San Diego
Dr. Laufer is an awesome doctor, he makes you feel at home and included me on every part of my treatments so I fully understood it. I love hearing his jokes which helped me feel more at ease when I am at the clinic.... We first tried iui with clomid, the other 5 iuis we did with injectibles. Unfortunately those didn't work so we switched to ivf.... Awesome nursing staff love them all ! Make you feel like family.
How was your experience with Larry Laufer at Naval Medical Center?
Remember he is very quirky and funny.
He is such a kind doctor and treats you with respect, and tells you super funny stories.
Awesome nursing staff love them all ! Make you feel like family.
Describe your experience with Naval Medical Center.
Weakness is changing the location and prices. I would love to do another fet but it keeps getting pushed back. Strengths are all the staff and doctors are amazing I wouldn’t change a thing about them.
4,000 for the ivf. For FET 1800$.