Medical SchoolU. of Virginia
Winchester
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
1-540-662-6092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Laura Smith to a friend?
9.8

6.6

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia to a friend?
Dr. Smith is honest, caring, and efficient! She has always been honest with us and willing to answer all questions. Dr. Smith has stayed with us longer than expected to answer more questions as well as discuss future options....We have done 2 rounds of IUI due to my husband's low motility. During this time we have taking Letrozole each round to increase ovulation on my end to potentially increase our chances of a successful pregnancy.... Dr. Laura Smith was honest about our chances of pregnancy.
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Take notes! So many topics are covered during appointments and information can be forgotten. Dr. Smith is very informative and knowledgeable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Laura Smith was honest about our chances of pregnancy. Dr. Smith was caring and sympathetic to our journey. She had continued to be open to answering all questions we have as well as being transparent in her answers. We are so thankful that Dr. Smith has been so helpful. She even made sure we were referred for appropriate care with other necessary providers to find answers to our fertility questions. We may not have gotten pregnant yet, but we plan to continue to see Dr. Smith for the remainder of our journey.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
The nursing staff has always been helpful and insightful. The staff has always provided quick and timely answers to all of our questions.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The clinic has a welcoming atmosphere. The building was easy to find and navigate. The clinic is in Charlottesville, but thankfully not in the heart of town making traffic less daunting. There is ample parking for everyone visiting the building.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
As of today, our cost has been 730 per IUI cycle. That cost includes the IUI as well as the follow up appointments for ultrasounds. Our insurance will not cover any procedures until our deductible has been met. The staff has always been transparent about cost.
Charlottesville

Each time we were unsuccessful, she [Dr. Smith] encouraged us to keep trying and change what we were doing somewhat. Unfortunately, none of these procedures resulted in pregnancy...has wonderful bedside manner and always generated conversation during appointments. She also took time to answer any questions I had...She stopped very frequently to ask if I had questions and to reassure me. I have seen her several times in the duration of my treatments and she has always treated me very well, shown great patience and knowledge of my particular situation. She seems to determine our next steps by carefully analyzing where we have already been and what could be deterring us.
Dr. Smith did my initial consultation and I felt she was very thorough in everything she talked to me about. She stopped very frequently to ask if I had questions and to reassure me. I have seen her several times in the duration of my treatments and she has always treated me very well, shown great patience and knowledge of my particular situation. She seems to determine our next steps by carefully analyzing where we have already been and what could be deterring us.
You will find a trustworthy and knowledgeable doctor and you will feel cared for and respected under her care.
Dr. Smith has wonderful bedside manner and always generated conversation during appointments. She also took time to answer any questions I had.
Dr. Smith tried to utilize my summer off last year (I'm a teacher) to run through all of the initial fertility testing. She also prescribed me clomid both with and without IUIs early last fall. We also did a prescription of Letrazole with Follistim injections and an IUI last November. The rationale behind these procedures was a progressive approach to getting pregnant through the least aggressive means. Each time we were unsuccessful, she encouraged us to keep trying and change what we were doing somewhat. Unfortunately, none of these procedures resulted in pregnancy.
The nurses at RMSCVA are absolutely wonderful. They are caring and go out of their way to answer your questions thoroughly, despite their busy days. I have made many phone calls to ask questions and have received prompt return calls and have never been made to feel badly for calling. They are always willing to listen and reassure you.
I believe RMSCVA's strengths are an excellent staff (doctors, nurses, and clerical). Everyone seems to be on the same team and works well together. They are all kind and treat patients with respect and care, especially given the emotional state most patients are in. To date, I have only had positive experiences in this clinic and do not believe that they have any weaknesses.
At first, my treatments were not at all covered by insurance, so once I started doing IUIs and injectible medications, the cost went up drastically. Visits and ultrasounds were somewhere between $100-200. I believe an IUI is around $400. Medications are anywhere from $500-2500.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Based on information I have been given alone (I have not yet gone through this), I believe that Dr. Smith and all of the other doctors at her clinic use single embryo transfer approach in hopes of reducing the health risks to mother and baby.
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere with trying to have a baby. She is very through and makes sure you understand everything that is said. She is very cheerful and really enjoys what she does.... She made you feel Comfortable. She gave you all the details and broke Down everything down. She had solutions and had steps for us to take to get there.... I have had a lot of blood work taken to check amh, thyroid and amongst other things.
Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere with trying to have a baby. She is very through and makes sure you understand everything that is said. She is very cheerful and really enjoys what she does. My experience as a patient has been awesome!!! I know my future encounters with her will be just as wonderful.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions in anything you may not understand.
I have not had any cycles done with Laura smith. I have had a lot of blood work taken to check amh, thyroid and amongst other things. I had also had a HSG which my tubes are perfectly clear. I took The varicella vaccine twice and I am Immune to it. Whenever I am able to, I can start treatment, but it looks like it will be a while. Iui with objectibles or IVF would need to happen ( that’s if I can lose Enough weight for IVF :( )
The whole Staff is so nice and understandable
It is a clinic that I know most of the other when I know going through fertility, go to. It is very welcoming and everyone is friendly and helps with any questions you would need. The location is great and right off the interstate. It is worth the 1:40 min or so for the service you get.
$787.00 - consultation and blood work $695.00. HSG $140.00 follow up visit w results $1,763.00 lab work bill from The hospital that was separate from Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Charlottesville

From our first visit, she [Dr. Laura Smith] explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
From our first visit, she explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Laura Smith, and the rest of the physicians and clinic staff as well, remember every detail about me. All the way down to what I do for a living. I can tell they take the time to review my history before entering the clinic room. The nurses and other staff always remember my name, I never have to formally check in I just give them a wave.
Jumped right in with IUI from the first cycle (I had done clomid a few times already) with letrozole and trigger shots. My husbands sperm analysis showed a few issues. I did this for two cycles and have been unsuccessful so far.
So compassionate! They ask how you are doing always and really listen. They explain every detail so well and are incredibly helpful. I truly believe they go above and beyond.
Strengths - Excellent bedside manner. So compassionate. I feel confident in all the physician's care, even though we have not yet had success, they are consistently altering my treatment plan and explaining every detail. The clinic is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
I am so incredibly fortunate to have health insurance coverage for fertility treatments.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is very knowledgeable regarding her area. She explains everything in detail and make sure we know our options. She frequently reaches out if we need anything, and makes herself available even on Sundays, if need be.... She's very attentive, warm, and detailed in her explanation regarding our situation. She takes her time explaining to us what we need to do and our options.
Make sure you communicate your expectations and fears. Dr. Smith takes the time to listen to you.
I have had three rounds of pills + injectables (Follistim +HCG). She adjusts the dosage as needed. However, I am very sensitive to the hormones, and had to cancel a cycle.
Nursing staff follows the same approach as Dr. Smith. They are compassionate and understanding, as this is a very emotional time for a woman. I have called them with numerous questions, and they always make themselves available to answer them.
Clinic is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
some exams were covered by insurance, such as consultation, ultrasonography. The medication varies according to your needs (dosage). With injectables, we have spent around 350-500 a cycle +350 for UIU (Not sure regarding these numbers).

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Smith] recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own... Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
She is great. She was very good about tailoring treatment to me/us, and explained fully how with my reserve we would probably only get 1-2 viable blasts and she was right - we have one. She was thorough in our initial consult and did not at all seem inconvenience that we were there for a second opinion prior to starting an ivf cycle and had already gotten a protocol plan from another doctor. She explained why the clinic does freeze all cycles and I left our initial consult feeling very confident in her clinic and feeling comfortable about moving forward. When I’ve seen her since for monitoring & retrieval same thing.
You will see her partners as well for monitoring and even potentially retrieval/transfer, although Dr. Williams was doing retrievals the day I was set for mine and she did come and do mine specifically which was nice. Also the clinic recommends freeze all cycles.
She read over all my results at a previous clinic and tailored my ivf cycle to me specifically instead of going with a predetermined protocol. She also made sure we repeated testing that looked off previously but wasn’t addressed. She was realistic but kind and compassionate.
She recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own. Lupron plus hcg trigger. Once my period started I began 2 weeks of birth control for the FET and went on lupron injections. Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Stephanie is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
This is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area.
Nothing is covered by insurance. Compared to the large clinic I started with the prices at RMSCVA are better. Our freeze all cycle was $10,500 (we did not do PGS or ICSI). Medications were a few thousand. HSG and blood work about $200, ultrasound $140 or similar. My husband ended up owing $50 for blood work and sperm analysis I think.
Ultimately she said it would be up to us but recommended no more than 2. We ended up having 1 so it is a non issue.

2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
She [Dr. Laura Smith] is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.... Fertility consultations usually come with some emotion, because we are seeking help for something that is not coming "naturally." This practice will definitely answer your medical questions with kindness and politeness, but you want to get your emotional support elsewhere. I collected information from my doctors, and then went home to talk to people close to me to make decisions.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
She is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.
Everyone in the practice is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
I used donor egg IVF. The hormones are not fun at all, but it was successful.
She was busy and seemed to have a caseload that was too much for one person. But she was also kind and compassionate.
There aren't any other options nearby. But that said, the clinic is well-run and the doctors and staff are informed and experienced. It's busy, but it's a small practice, so it doesn't feel like a train station ... staff did come to know my name. The offices and procedure rooms are all comfortable.
The decision was mine to make. I felt they gave me all the information I needed to make an informed decision.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Smith is the prime example of detailed oriented and thorough at its best but so incredibly patient, brilliant and skilled with her bedside manners.... Fertility is stressful but I appreciated Dr. Smiths honesty, professionalism, and so extremely detailed oriented. I never left having questions and always felt confident in our decisions we made together. I have a low ovarian reserve and with her protocol and expertise we beat the odds.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and/or to have them elaborate. Dr. Smith really loves what she does and you can tell by the way she talks to you.
We had an agressive retrieval plan due to my low reserve. We were able to retrieve 3, 2 fertilized and 1 came back pgs normal. We froze and waited 5-6 weeks for my body to heal and be exactly where it needed for transfer. All went extremely smooth and I had an easy pregnancy. They really are amazing at what they do! The odds were against us and they are miracle workers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrex)
The BEST! So incredibly kind, theyre honest, sooooooo many hugs! Professionally they were on point with exact times, expectations, simplifying instructions and so gentle.
Strengths they are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
We had a 10% military discount and for the retrieval/transfer it was $12000. We paid separately for meds and pgs testings with other companies they recommended. We were very happy with the process and discount
we only had one embryo to transfer so it wasn’t ever approached

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Smith was a very well rounded doctor. She was compassionate, understanding and very patient. She also always admitted when she was wrong which I loved. Doctor's, just like us are always learning new things especially when it comes to infertility. In a lot of cases we are learning together. For example, upon seeing my husband and I, Dr. Smith asked if I ovulated on my own. I told her no because my OBGYN had run progesterone tests and discovered that I did not. She then asked if my had a period every month to which I replied yes. She then told me that I was in fact ovulating if I was getting a period, that I just must be missing it. After a cycle of running tests and starting my period, at my follow-up visit, she admitted that she had told me wrong and that I had anovulation. To admit when you are wrong shows just how amazing you are both as a person and as a doctor. Dr. Smith was always encouraging and always did her best to uplift us.
Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand or if you have concerns. Dr. Smith is willing and welcomes all questions. She wants you to understand your treatment and your options.
Dr. Smith was very personable and very relatable. She took her time to ensure we understood exactly what our options were and to explain in detail any questions we had. She also told us that it was up to us how aggressive we wanted our treatment to be. She was compassionate and understood what we were going through. She always took the time to encourage us even if we didn't get the results we wants. Dr. Smith was phenomenal and definitely treated myself and my husband as a human.
During my first medicated cycle with Dr. Smith, She prescribed me letrozole (the average dosage) and it didn't work. This was to help me ovulate as she figured out the previous unmedicated cycle that I was experiencing anovulation with a normal AMH. The next cycle she in partner with Dr. Bateman at the same clinic increased my dosage and had me take it for 10 days instead of 5. I ovulated too quickly to do IUI. She recommended IUI because of anovulation and because of the increased dosage of letrozole and because 4 medicated timed intercourse cycles previously resulted in no pregnancy. The third cycle Dr. Smith partnered with Dr. Williams and had me take the same dosage of letrozole just for 7 days instead of 10 and had me trigger with HCG. This time we were able to due IUI with two beautiful follicles however, it failed. During the IUI, after the sperm wash was when my husband was diagnosed with male factor infertility due to low count and motility. We were told if the IUI didn't result in pregnancy that IVF would be our best next option.
They always helped and ensured that we had everything we needed. For example, I am hard stick and only one nurse would ever be able to stick me. She made herself available to me every single time to ensure I wouldn't have to travel elsewhere to get blood drawn. They always answered questions and returned phone calls quickly. They were always smiling and ensuring that you had a smile on your face even on the hardest days.
This clinic cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive. They also require that your previous surgery be paid in full before proceeding on to the next which can be rather inconvenient if your paying towards your bill monthly.
My IUI procedure with out monitoring and meds was about $700. Monitoring varied depending on if blood work was ordered but was usually about $150 a visit.
Charlottesville

I was very nervous at first with all of the initial questions and paperwork. But once meeting Dr. Smith, she calmed me down and broke things down for both my husband and myself. She explained the process and the tests and referred me to two other specialists to get cleared and informed about my condition and risks.... I was tested for PCOS. I had all of the characteristics of this, but it was never diagnosed. Dr. Smith completed an ultrasound
Be patient. It is a process, and you might not get the immediate results you want. Take a breath or break when needed.
She was down to earth, told it like it was, but told me also that there was hope. She was complete and made you feel comfortable and explained things in a manner that was easily understood.
I was tested for PCOS. I had all of the characteristics of this, but it was never diagnosed. Dr. Smith completed an ultrasound, bloodwork, and a dye test to make sure my tubes were open. We talked about my age and risk factors as well as genetic screening. My husband was not so happy about having to provide his information and do his testing, but we were able to complete that at my local Ob/gyn. After receiving the diagnosis, I asked what are my chances of getting pregnant at my age with my health problems...and she was supportive but also told me the truth that it was a process and it takes time. We started with metformin, then moved to metformin and clomid. We are now looking at other medications and talking about IUI.
They were welcoming and supportive and helped get information when needed and sent records where they needed to go.
They are warm, supportive and welcoming. They knew their information and if you had a question they didn't know the answer to, they found it out for you. They also helped fill out forms, sent the forms I advance and were very professional about the whole thing.
I had to pay everything out of pocket. The genetic testing was around 500 dollars, the lab work was around 200 dollars, the ultrasound was around 300 dollars and I do not remember the cost of the dye test. I also had to pay copays not only at the center for Dr. Smith, but then also the two specialists she referred me to. Infertility is not covered under my insurance plan, so I even had to pay out of pocket for medication.
None at this time.
Charlottesville
Dr. Smith went over the details and answered all of my questions. We were not ready to move forward because of another unrelated health issue, but Dr. Smith continued to answer my questions and help prepare us for when we are ready. She could have directed us to return when ready, but she patiently walked us through everything. I left her office with an understanding of the process, specific answers to our questions after initial consult/exams, and comfort knowing she genuinely cares.
Ask any questions you may have. She is knowledgeable, comforting, and caring.
I was very nervous and hesitant before my consult and initial exam(s), but Dr. Smith and her staff were kind and courteous. While we were not ready to move forward at the time (due to an unrelated health issue), we feel they truly care and want to help us when we are ready.
I have only had my initial consult and exam. We had another health issue to overcome, and are now addressing financial concerns before we proceed.
The nurses were patient and kind. They explained everything they were doing, asked if I was okay, and worked with professionalism and care. They were all pleasant.
The facility and staff were above average. A feeling of comfort radiates throughout the clinic. Everything is clean and orderly, and the people are knowledgeable and caring. While I haven't started a cycle, I have no hesitation about this clinic. Once we are financially prepared, I trust this clinic to be with me on this journey.
Charlottesville

We began medicated cycles [with Dr. Laura Smith] to force ovulation on the left (my open) side. After a few unsuccessful attempts we moved to iui. My first and second iui cycles were with clomid and unsuccessful. My third was with femara and gonal-F and was also unsuccessful. We are now ready to move forward with ivf...remembered our names and history every visit without looking at our chart. She seemed to legitimately care about our success
Dr. Smith is a wonderful, caring doctor. I only wish we had more time during visits to fully discuss the plan moving forward and what our options were. Overall she has been very thorough. We have been ttc for over a year now with three failed iui attempts. We will be moving forward with ivf next.
Be patient
Dr. Smith remembered our names and history every visit without looking at our chart. She seemed to legitimately care about our success
I underwent a tubal reversal in March of 2018. After six months unsuccessful we discovered one tube was blocked. We began medicated cycles to force ovulation on the left (my open) side. After a few unsuccessful attempts we moved to iui. My first and second iui cycles were with clomid and unsuccessful. My third was with femara and gonal-F and was also unsuccessful. We are now ready to move forward with ivf.
The nurses were always patient and understanding. They took their time to explain medications and injections as needed and were always available to answer questions
The front desk staff is absolutely wonderful. Every time I call I am greeted with warmth and kindness. The doctors and nurses care more about your success than the dollar. The only weakness is the feeling of being rushed through appointments and being switched around through the doctors.
My tubal reversal cost approximately $6500 out of pocket. My iui cycles have cost approximately $800 including meds after insurance.

2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
After 11 years of unexplained infertility Dr. Smith took the time to look at my records and listen to me. After my first visit she suspected endometriosis....She did my surgery less than a month later and sure enough I have moderate endometriosis.... She spotted my thyroid issue in my first visit from my prior records I brought. I had only been diagnosed a few months prior but my records indicated it was an issue for over 10 years. She also diagnosed my endometriosis and peformed surgery for it.
2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
Dr. Smith is amazing! She spotted my thyroid issue in my first visit from my prior records I brought. I had only been diagnosed a few months prior but my records indicated it was an issue for over 10 years. She also diagnosed my endometriosis and peformed surgery for it. That was also missed/ignored by 2 other clinics. She has called me personally multiples times to discuss my plan.
Make an appt ASAP! She is amazing.
After 11 years of unexplained infertility Dr. Smith took the time to look at my records and listen to me. After my first visit she suspected endometriosis. The doctors I saw in the past would blow me off when I brought this up. She did my surgery less than a month later and sure enough I have moderate endometriosis. I have gotten pregnant twice since then but unfortunately both resulted in MMC. She has been wondeful in working with me to find the cause.
I favor Dr. Smith in the practice. I feel she understands me best. They are not pushy like other clinics who told me I needed IVF to get pregnant. They look for all possible issues and treat at a rate you are comfortable with. I chose endometriosis surgery and that helped me get pregnant naturally when another clinic told me IF I had that surgery wouldn't matter.
Ultrasound during treatment not covered by insurance were $175

2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Smith has a great bedside manner, explains things in detail, and always has a plan for next steps... I would recommend Dr Smith to anyone. She has so much knowledge and always has a plan of treatment even when things don’t go as planned. She is kind and empathetic but also straight forward in presenting all the details in an understandable way.... I was diagnosed with endometriosis so we started monthly injections of Lipton
2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Just to seek her out as a doctor really. Beyond that they are in good hands
I was diagnosed with endometriosis so we started monthly injections of Lipton to suppress my system until we were ready to start treatments. We agreed to two rounds of clomid before going to something more intensive. After the Lupron my period didn’t return so I went in for an scan and I was ovulating. She suggested clomid and trigger shots for the first round. That was not successful. The second cycle we had a false positive ovulation and then a second late ovulation with clomid which was a successful cycle, resulting in the pregnancy and birth of our daughter in 2018
The nurse coordinators and staff are so kind and return calls very quickly
Good communicators. Easy scheduling. They handle all communication with insurance and billing very quickly. Office is clean and tranquil. Office staff know exact pricing for procedures if insurance does not cover them.
Ovulation ultrasounds around $200, trigger shots $180, clomid $20, I can’t remember all the costs but I think each cycle costs around $500 for clomid, shots and monitoring.
No comments
Charlottesville

She [Dr. Laura Smith] was very compassionate and understanding. Since she is so busy it was hard to communicate with her in a timely manner or set follow up appointments in a timely manner. I guess that's what happens when you are really good, you become too popular. I would still recommend her though. She is a great in person communicator...We tried injections to grow follicles, estrogen pills to try to build my uterine lining, and IUI to help with my husband's fair semen numbers. Unfortunately, by the last round of IUI, my follicles stopped growing and my lining wouldn't thicken. Her next suggestions were surgery to see if my tubes are blocked, then IVF or gestational carrier with IVF.
She was very compassionate and understanding. Since she is so busy it was hard to communicate with her in a timely manner or set follow up appointments in a timely manner. I guess that's what happens when you are really good, you become too popular. I would still recommend her though. She is a great in person communicator.
Be patient and make sure you have lots of free time to try to schedule with her.
She understood my schedule. She knew we had to keep trying until we had dialed in on a correct course, while other doctor's just wanted to move on. She was very kind and understanding throughout the process.
They usually remembered me and were very kind.
They are a well oiled machine, but they are also exceptionally busy. Prepare to build your schedule around it. They will randomly assign your doctor based on their rotation which can sometimes make it difficult for them to have met to discuss a plan for you.
During the IUI process, I paid roughly 300 per visit and visited every few days for ultrasounds I was out of pocket for most expenditures.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Smith is great at what she does. She made sure I always understood what she talked about and always answered my questions. She stayed confident even when I was not. She was quick to make any changes when the results were not going as planned, which made me feel better.... We started by initially running blood work to check for the most common reasons for my infertility. Then we did a test to check for blockage in my Fallopian tubes. We tried several rounds of Clomid to make me ovulate regularly and then a round of Femera because we had no success with Clomid. Femera offered even less of a result so we then tried IUI beginning with injections to produce follicles. We had an IUI after the injections, but that also failed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Smith was always nice and reassuring. She made sure to answer all of my questions and made sure I understood what we were doing. She stayed confident even when I was not.
The nursing staff was very compassionate and well informed. They always answered my questions.
I had a great experience with this clinic. Everyone was always so nice and reassuring. No one judged me or made me uncomfortable.
The costs seemed to be about average. One great thing was that they offer discount programs for IVF.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith was patient and took the time to explain things in detail and cover any questions I had. She made sure I understood what each step consisted of and what the next step was. I never left her office confused or with questions. She was very compassionate with my husband and I taking time to reassure us and explain things in language we understood...Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
Be prepared for a lot of information. Bring a notebook!
She, the other doctors and the nurses took the time to explain things in detail. Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
I took a round of several injections and did one trigger shot right before the retrieval.
The nurses at the clinic were very thorough and took the time to explain how to do each injection and even when to do it. We had issues with my insurance covering the medications and they worked with me in order to get it covered.
The clinic is extremely warm and inviting. They make you feel comfortable during a time that is stressful and emotional. Everyone there is so sweet and understanding. Compassion is key for them!
We paid around $18,000 for everything except medication