Medical SchoolCreighton
ResidencyU. of Kansas
FellowshipMayo Clinic
9300 East 29th St
Wichita, KS 67226
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Laura Tatpati to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas to a friend?
We felt calm with Dr. Tatpati from the moment she entered the room the first time. It was clear she had spent time with our files prior to arrival of the first appointment and knew our history and had thought through a plan already. She was very calm with our questions and concerns and was candid with us when it was needed. She created a good environment for testing and procedures and lessened anxiety with her confidence and knowledge.
How was your experience with Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Have your questions thought out before coming to the appointment. There will be a lot of information coming your way, and she will cover it all, so having questions ready will help you get everything you need as it will feel like whiplash during your appointments because of the amount of knowledge she will share with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Everything was explained thoroughly to us and every question was answered in a caring manner. All of our options were given to us, and felt that the doctor was sensitive to the nature of the decisions to be made.
The nursing staff always made sure we had the information form our appointment in written form so we could look back on it. They pointed it all out explaining it was common to feel overwhelmed and wanted to make sure we had what we needed on paper. They always answered our questions and often had already done research on our insurance and drug costs so we could be prepared to make informed decisions.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They were thorough in explaining all of the pre-paperwork and helping us through that. We also had an emergency that required a change of appointment and they were very understanding and compassionate to our situation and helped us reschedule quickly. The only weakness we found was in the signage to find the actual clinic inside the office park.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Tatpati at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
IUI $500 total
Wichita
Dr. Tatpati has many strengths. First she is very knowledgeable and takes the time to explain treatments. She also shows empathy for what people with fertility issues go through. She also consults with staff and other dr.s in the practice. The only weakness I can think of is that when we first were consulted at the clinic she seemed very clinical. But, in hindsight that makes sense because she did not have much data on my husband and I and she did not know us well.
European, Latino
Listen to her advice and trust in her expertise.
At first I felt more like a number, but after a year of treatments I got use to the clinic and how it operates. I found they didn't mean to be cold or clinical. Also, Dr. Tatpati took the time to meet with me and explain how she really wanted to figure out my particular case and expressed empathy.
Describe the protocols Laura Tatpati used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
She knew I had PCOS from blood tests and the ultrasound she performed. Also, she ordered a hsg and my tubes were clear. All of my husband's tests came back normal. She notified us that this was good news and I just needed to ovulate. We started with femara, then higher doses of femara, then clomid. With pills alone I was not ovulating, so she added injections and suggested iui if we wanted. We wanted our best chance so we opted for iui with injections. After a few cycles I stopped responding to meds and even overstimulated. So, my cycles were all over the place. She ordered more lab work because she had some suspicions about my thyroid and adrenal gland. Her suspicions were correct, my thyroid was too low and I had adrenal fatigue. She added a steroid to my protocol and a higher dose of levothyroxine and I started producing follicles for iui. I became pregnant on iui #2 but it was ectopic. We had to take a break as she suggested I take methotrexate rather than having a laparoscopy (that could further damage my tube). Months later we tried a few more times and on our last attempt, iui #6, I became pregnant again but miscarried early in the pregnant. She suspected something may be going on with my Fallopian tubes and/or uterus so she suggested a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy before we move on to more treatments. She let us decide, though she suggested we do to rule out other fertility issues. I opted for the procedures for piece of mind. The results were a small uterine polyp, a small amount of endometriosis, a damaged left tube from the ectopic pregnancy, and a thin right tube that may have caused my last miscarriage. She removed the polyp and the mild endometriosis. After the surgery she let us decide if we wanted to continue with more iuis since I got pregnant twice or to move on to IVF. We feared another ectopic or more failed attempts so we opted to go to IVF. She agreed, and said I'm a good candidate. I started stims this past week (on day 4 now) for our first IVF cycle. I am currently on 75u of menopur and 150u of gonal-f. So far my estrogen levels are right on track!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan Rolfs)
All nurses are friendly and open to answering any question. If they can't answer they always refer to the dr. and follow up. They are compassionate as well.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The strengths are the dr.s and staff. As noted before they listen to patients, are always willing to help, and are compassionate. We pay out of pocket and they've always tried to work with us to make our dream of coming parents true. The only weakness I can think of is their office hours. I wish they were open earlier and later so appointments could work with work schedules.
Blood tests for estrogen and progesterone are $85 Mid cycle sonograms are $150 Iui is $375 IVF is roughly $20k Meds are ordered through integrity pharmacy and range in price for menopur, gonal-f, ovidrel, cetrotide, and crinone. I do not know the exact prices for the meds because the clinic helped me sign up for a discount program that we were approved for. They also have given us meds patients have donated. Overall we have spent about $16k so far because we are out of pocket.
Describe Laura Tatpati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Dr. Tatpati prefers one healthy baby due to the fact that multiples have higher risks. She will however transfer 2 max depending on the case.
Wichita
I have only seen her [Dr. Laura Tatpati] twice in the 4 months of treatments - at our first appt and for the hsg procedure. She seems friendly and did explain things thoroughly. She had decent bedside manners, and answered any questions we had at the time. But I did leave the first appointment with lots of questions.... Things seemed rushed with scheduled appts and they do not tell you much info unless you ask specific questions.
I have only seen her twice in the 4 months of treatments - at our first appt and for the hsg procedure. She seems friendly and did explain things thoroughly. She had decent bedside manners, and answered any questions we had at the time. But I did leave the first appointment with lots of questions.
Be sure to ask all the questions you can up front.
My treatment was using Femara (10mg per day for cd 3-7), Follistim (75 IU on cd 5 and 7) and Ovidrel on cd 11. Usually we did an IUI procedure 36 hours after taking the Ovidrel. Then I would take 600mg of progesterone per day (vaginal pills) during my 2 week waiting time. The Follistim was used for stimulating the ovaries to produce more follicles each cycle. They wanted the measurement of each follicle to be at least 16mm. The Ovidrel was used to stimulate ovulation for the timing of the IUI procedure. I have done 2 IUI cycles. One of my treatment cycles did not progress as they expected and I took triple the amount Follistim but missed the window of opportunity to do the IUI procedure. The results of the stimulating drugs have been pretty good but the dosage may need to be altered soon to get moreand bigger follicles. Taking the progesterone after the IUI for 2 weeks definitely delayed my cycle by a couple of days. My cycle did not start until I stopped taking the progesterone.
They are very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. But I had to ask specific questions because they didn't just share all the info with you.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic is somewhat accommodating to your schedule for appointments but other times you don't have e a choice and have to come in when they schedule you. The front desk staff is friendly and efficient if you have to pay a co-pay. The lab techs that draw your blood seemed somewhat disorganized when I first started going there, and once they were confused as to wha tests they were drawing my blood for. That made me slightly nervous. But they have gotten better as I continued to go there.
$40 co-pay each visit $100 for meds each cycle treatment (after insurance coverage) $400 for IUI procedure (not covered by insurance) Unknown lab work cost $400 genetic testing and counseling for both partners $100 for hsg test (after insurance)
Wichita
Dr. Tatpati is very kind, warm, and reassuring. She seemed knowledgeable and confident. I didn't speak directly with her often, usually through her very capable nurse, but always felt like Dr. Tatpati knew my case well and had my best interests in mind.... My tubes are blocked, and my blood work indicated slightly lower ovarian reserve. Due to the reserve, I was started on higher doses of Gonal-F (300) and Menopur (150). After 2-3 days of these doses, my estrogen wasn't reacting as quickly as she liked, so my dose of Gonal-F was increased to 450 for 2 days.
When you see Dr. Tatpati, you will feel at ease. You will feel reassured, but still leave knowing as much as you need to know about your case. Know that you can be completely comfortable around her, and that she really has seen it all!
She is very warm and reassuring, but realistic at the same time. She naturally made me feel at ease. She spoke kindly and optimistically; however, if I asked her a question she answered honestly with data behind as many answers as she could.
My tubes are blocked, and my blood work indicated slightly lower ovarian reserve. Due to the reserve, I was started on higher doses of Gonal-F (300) and Menopur (150). After 2-3 days of these doses, my estrogen wasn't reacting as quickly as she liked, so my dose of Gonal-F was increased to 450 for 2 days. This jumped my estrogen up dramatically and my dose was decreased back to 300, while the Menopur always stayed at 150. I was on this regimen for 12 days before finally getting the green light for a trigger shot and egg retrieval. 16 eggs were removed, 14 were fertilized successfully using ICSI (slow swimmers), and 8 embryos made it to day 5. 7 were frozen and 1 was fresh-transferred. I was on 5 mL progesterone IM injections daily. On Day 10 after transfer I had the blood test that showed negative for pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Megan was amazing. She was always available for email questions, and provided her phone number should an emergency arise. She was prompt in replies, and I felt like she relayed questions to doctors appropriately. Her email responses were short and sweet, never rude, but not sugar-coated lol. I had to remind myself sometimes that she gets a bazillion emails a day from women going through this same thing, and that a quick short reply is so much better than waiting hours for a rosy one!:)
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The doctors and staff truly care about their patients and helping them to meet their family planning goals. Everyone is very friendly and warm, and comforting. At the time I was a patient, the lab side and lab director seemed great, but was only part-time. For that reason I would never have embryos frozen/thawed/transferred there again, but this clinic has ended the lab side and doctors provide care now while sending all lab-related procedures (retrieval and transfers) to Kansas City.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Monitoring appointments were quick and easy. I was always in and out in under 30 minutes, usually under 15 minutes. A window of time was provided, but if that didn't work in my schedule as a teacher, they were able to accommodate with a little wiggle room. The blood draws were the worst, one phlebotomist was able to get the draw on the first try each time, but the other would try a couple times and then have to call in someone else, so I dreaded seeing her.
The doctor/clinic fee was $12,500. The freezing fee was $1,200 (I think). The medications were the sticker shock. Before we started, after seeing my blood work, I was told an estimate of $2-$6,000 for medications. My first med order was for $5,500, and we ended up spending $8,500 on medications. Based on my age and infertility diagnosis, my husband and I had estimated that I would be on the low end of med cost, so spending so much more was a huge surprise and financially straining.
Dr. Tatpati strongly encouraged me to only transfer 1 embryo. This was due to my age (30), reason for infertility (tubal blockage), and that this was our first transfer. She was willing to talk with me about risks and my interest in transferring more than one, but helped me see that at that point in my fertility journey, the risks outweighed the pros on transferring more than 1 embryo.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Tatpati was not a warm doctor with exceptional bedside manner but she was very forthright about where you stood with regards to treatment, which I personally preferred. If something wasn't likely to work, she said so. If there was a chance she said so. She gave her honest opinion with no pressure...We did some medicated cycles with intercourse and 1 IUI, none of which were successful as my husband has severe male factor.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Go to her if you are looking for honest feedback that is not sugar-coated. She is honest and forthright.
The receptionists were terribly rude and definitely treated patients like they were a way to pay the bills not a person struggling with a difficult situation. On more than one occasion, I overheard office staff complaining about their kids right in front a waiting room full of people struggling with infertility, which I found to be incredibly insensitive to say the least.
Just depended on who you were working with. One of the nurses was awesome (sadly I cannot remember her name), the others were OK to not great.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic is small and does not offer the technological advances that many other larger facilities do and this led us to ultimately go to another larger (and better marketed) facility. I did feel frustrated with the lack of courtesy by receptionist/billing staff, they were rude about payment before services (all clinics expect this but many say it in a nicer way). Overall, I liked the doctor - better than the other facility we went with for our IVF - but found them to lack the amenities and support staff of the larger clinics.
We probably spent around $1000 as most was covered by insurance because it was diagnostic and we only did one IUI
Don't know, we never did IVF with this clinic.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
She [Dr. Laura Tatpati] was very open and honest. She was willing to work with us the best she could, especially because we have quite a commute to see her. She took the time to explain everything. I cried like a baby the last time I saw her, and I saw the concern on her face. She took the time to listen and comfort me.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
She was very open and honest. She was willing to work with us the best she could, especially because we have quite a commute to see her. She took the time to explain everything. I cried like a baby the last time I saw her, and I saw the concern on her face. She took the time to listen and comfort me.
Be sure you understand everything. Ask questions if you don't understand. She is more than willing to answer your questions.
She took the time to sit and talk with me. She listened to my concerns and helped me feel confident in our likelihood of a pregnancy.
We started with 4 months of clomid and timed intercourse. When this did not work, we did laparoscopic surgery to remove my endometriosis, adhesions, and a polyp in my uterus. Then next step was IUI with letrozole, gonal-f, and ovidrel injections. We did 6 IUI. Our next step is IVF, which we are not going to do due to costs.
They were all very pleasant and worked well with us, especially when it came to appointments. They tried to group everything together if possible so we didn't have to make multiple trips
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They require payment up front for IUI. Be sure to know what your insurance does and does not cover before you start so you can ask what everything will cost prior to treatments.
IUI was $400, ultrasounds, copay during office visits, HSG, Surgery, medications were from the pharmacy.
Wichita
Dr. Tatpati has always been very informative and answers all our questions. Miscarriages are hard especially when you have no answers. She gave us all the information we needed to make a decision that is best for us...Our very first appointment is when we started all the testing. Semen analysis, HSG, blood work for numerous tests. Everything came back fine but my husband was referred to a urologist. In the mean time I was put on progesterone and baby aspirin when I would get pregnant.
Ask lots of questions and she will take good care of you!
When we have appointments I never feel rushed and get all my questions answered.
Our very first appointment is when we started all the testing. Semen analysis, HSG, blood work for numerous tests. Everything came back fine but my husband was referred to a urologist. In the mean time I was put on progesterone and baby aspirin when I would get pregnant. After 5 losses we have decided our next step is IVF.
The nursing staff couldn’t be any better. They are compassionate and knowledgeable. They are good at returning messages the same day.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic has been great in our experience. We have always been able to get an appointment within a decent time and everyone that has helped us, from calling to make an appointment or help with an insurance claim they have all been very helpful and kind.
We both agree that the single embryo transfer is the safest option.
PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Laura Tatpati] was thorough and gave future options... I feel like with our situation being unexplained we got chances to try the obvious (iui and Ivf in future) but maybe not as many options as others so we are still left with no solutions or answers. I don’t blame her specifically but I feel like she could of given us more options, trying different medications or information on diet or vitamins or something
PCOS, Unexplained
Ask questions, no matter how dumb they seem!
She was thorough and gave future options
We tried iui with at home injections, and weekly visits to neck follicles and ovulation with blood work
They were wonderful! Friendly knowledgeable made you feel very at home and like you weren’t alone!
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The nurses are amazing and really make you feel like you are not alone in your journey! They are also very knowledgeable and helpful along the process and always there to answer questions! They are really good also about working with your schedule and making the numerous appointments monthly not feel overwhelming
Office visits, medications, proxedures
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She [Dr. Tatpati] takes her time during your appointment and makes sure that you leave with all your questions answered and all the information she can give you. She’s very thorough but gentle during exams. If she can’t answer your question she’ll point you in the direction that might be able to help you.... I was always welcomed with a warm demeanor, the doctor and her team always took their time to answer all my questions.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
She takes her time during your appointment and makes sure that you leave with all your questions answered and all the information she can give you. She’s very thorough but gentle during exams. If she can’t answer your question she’ll point you in the direction that might be able to help you.
Ask your questions.
I was always welcomed with a warm demeanor, the doctor and her team always took their time to answer all my questions. I was very happy with my post op care and could always call when I was unsure.
The staff is very friendly and extremely helpful and knowledgeable
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Weakness to me is that the surgical center they used gave me a cattle hearding feeling. To many people waiting. Positive is the clinic and and the warmth you feel as soon as you walk in. I enjoyed that i didn’t had to hesitate when I had a question or a concern.