5.2

Virginia Beach
2075 Glenn Mitchell Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
757-446-7100

After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor [Dr. Stadtmauer] and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
No staff [at Jones Institute For Repro Med] ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers. ... Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low.
How was your experience with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
When we first started with Dr. Stadmauer, we started by covering the basics, such as ovulation, uterine lining and sperm count. Unfortunately after 12 months it never progressed from there. After 2 failed IUIs and no explanation to why nothing was working, we never investigated possible diagnosis. Every time that I had an appointment, all we did was to review everything we had done. The doctor listened when I asked to change medication and my monitoring showed that I responded well to the new medication, but at some point one of the fellow doctors said that I was in high risk of having multiples and I believed him. When that didn't happen, nobody cared to try to find out why. I remained under a low dose of Metformin for a whole 12 months. Nobody ever suggested changing it. Under the care of a new doctor I know I have multiple cysts, a possible polyp, and that I should be under a much higher dose of Metformin. Dr. Stadmauer missed all of that.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Jones Institute is a very respectful clinic, but you will probably be successful only if you don't have any underlining conditions, and your problem is easy to resolve. I never met a doctor or fellow doctor at the clinic willing to investigate why I was not getting pregnant after 12 months of treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
While I was very well treated when in the office and clinic, once I left, no one followed my case, no one was aware that I have been seeking treatment for quite a while and maybe we should take a different path. In that sense, I was just a number.
Describe the protocols Laurel Stadtmauer used in your cycles at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
When I started treatment, I was put on Metformin because I may or may not have had PCOS. I was asked to do the HSG test, that came back clean. My husband had a semen analysis, which came back as low number. No medication was suggested beside a zync supplement. I went for two IUI cycles with Letrozole. I produced only one follicle with Letrozole, which was what I already produced naturally. No change of medication was suggested until I asked for it. After about 8 months we pressed for answers about the low sperm count and the doctor mentioned Clomid for men. The clinic, even though is a fertility clinic, won't prescribe that for their male patients, so my husband had to go to an Urologist. I produced a much higher number of follicles with Clomid and decided for timed intercourse only. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had another appointment with the doctor and she started the consultation with "let's see.... wow, you've been trying for quite a while!". I asked for a new blood panel, since I've been going there for 12 months. Up until then, I didn't even know my AMH level. It felt like she never remembered me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
I only ever had any interaction through the patient portal. They would answer my questions sometimes.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
This is a well established clinic, with years of experience. They were always overall flexible and accommodating with my appointments, and the Patient Portal (used by all EVMS facilities) works well. No staff ever showed any motivation into finding out what was wrong with me. I believe this can be a good clinic for patients with standard infertility problems, such as PCOS or endometriosis. If you have unexplained infertility, you will not get your answers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laurel Stadtmauer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Ultrasounds are $190 IUI: $250 for he procedure and $255 for sperm wash HSG: about $600-$700 with no insurance
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Provided conflicting information: one nurse told me that I should only take progesterone after IUIs, and a different nurse said it was OK to take it doing timed intercourse. Failed to convey important information: I went 6 months not being informed that my progesterone level was too low. And failed to call in prescription several times. I had to go back to the portal and remind them.
Norfolk

Dr. Stadtmauer is very clinical in her approach to discussing treatment plans. I do believe she knows her stuff but at times when discussing things it can feel as if she is somewhat detached from the experience you are going through. I also feel that I have to actively make a point to reach out to her with questions or for updates on plan of care instead of the other way around which can feel frustrating...
The [Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine] clinic is clean, easy parking, and they usually see you relatively quickly for lab work and ultrasounds. If you are going for a consultation or just a meeting with your doctor, sometimes the wait time is longer...ultrasounds and most medications were covered by insurance. IUI was not covered by insurance and was $250 for the procedure and $55 for the sperm sample use. The cryopreservation of my husband's sperm was $450 total
I felt like I really had to advocate for myself in terms of what I wanted for a treatment plan. I like to understand everything that is going on and the reasons why we are approaching things in a certain way and I felt like I had to really ask a lot of questions to get that information
Come in with your questions written down so that you don't get rushed out without everything you asked being answered
We started with 7.5 mg of letrozole combined with ovidrel injection. We eventually switched to clomid and did that in conjunction with gonal-f injections and the ovidrel injection.
I think the nursing staff has been great at EVMS when I am talking with them but sometimes I feel like it is hard to get an answer from them right away.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is clean, easy parking, and they usually see you relatively quickly for lab work and ultrasounds. If you are going for a consultation or just a meeting with your doctor, sometimes the wait time is longer
Describe Laurel Stadtmauer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Occasionally I have had to indicate what my treatment was going to be versus that information just being in my chart
Virginia Beach

2015, Unknown Success
She wasn't very detailed. Half the time, we had to remind her of what's going on with us, as if she didn't review the chart before seeing us.
Had some miscommunication between me, doctor, and scheduler regarding what test I was getting. This pushed back treatment by multiple months due to availability. Great communication [from the nursing staff], always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion.
She is pleasant but seems confused or not up to date on what's going on with me. We chose her because she had the first availability but now we regret the decision.
Stay on top of things. She is very smart as a clinician but she is not as organized as we would like. We want someone who takes the time to at least know where we left off last time.
Great communication, always gets back to you with answers to questions in a prompt fashion. Made me feel comfortable.