9.7

National Institutes of Health

Lauren Bishop works in 1 office at

5 Columbus Circle

2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop really took the time to get to know me and my partner and our goals...immensely kind, knowledgeable, and responsive throughout the process. She took care to address our concerns - going out of her way to schedule appointments with us to talk things over when we she sensed we were struggling with whether to continue with IUI versus proceed to IVF - and even remembered small details of our lives that we had shared with her...
It is a big clinic [Columbia University] that serves a lot of patients, so you may not always see the same ultrasound technicians or phlebotomists. But I found that its size was a real strength: They were SO efficient at getting patients in on time...And despite serving many patients, the staff always seemed to remember me and were so kind towards me - I never felt like a number or just another patient...
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop was immensely kind, knowledgeable, and responsive throughout the process. She took care to address our concerns - going out of her way to schedule appointments with us to talk things over when we she sensed we were struggling with whether to continue with IUI versus proceed to IVF - and even remembered small details of our lives that we had shared with her. We felt every step of the way that we were in great hands and that we had a really thoughtful plan in place to help us build a family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop really took the time to get to know me and my partner and our goals. She was so warm and lovely with us, and remembered details about a separate adoption/guardianship process we are going through. We always felt that she took care to make us feel supported and listened to.
Describe the protocols Lauren Bishop used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
Our plan was to do three rounds of IUI - with Letrozole instead of Clomid, as I had received a PCOS diagnosis from a past doctor. When my lining wasn't growing enough - and it seemed that our second round of IUI wouldn't work out - Dr. Bishop suggested increasing the dose of Letrozole slightly to help with both follicle growth and endometrial growth. We never had to carry out that plan, as the second round of IUI was successful despite my thin lining (and a low sperm count for that retrieval)! Dr. Bishop told us to be optimistic despite the long odds, and we were grateful for that advice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kristina Cudjoe)
Kristina, Desiree (my care coordinator), and the whole nursing staff were wonderful. They were responsive, on the ball, and really kind and generous with their time and support.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I had a wonderful experience at CUFC. It is a big clinic that serves a lot of patients, so you may not always see the same ultrasound technicians or phlebotomists. But I found that its size was a real strength: They were SO efficient at getting patients in on time - a huge deal when you're going through fertility treatments and often have to go in every morning. And despite serving many patients, the staff always seemed to remember me and were so kind towards me - I never felt like a number or just another patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Bishop at Columbia University.
I have a high-deductible insurance plan, so it ultimately cost me about $1,000-$2,000 for two IUI cycles and all the associated testing and appointments. But I believe those with better insurance ultimately didn't have to pay much at all, and CUFC will assign you a financial counselor who can help map out costs etc.

2021 - 2022, Successful
she [Dr. Bishop] was direct with what her assessment of the problems are and we worked together to come up with a plan of action. She was there for the major procedures but always informed us if she a different doctor would see us instead of her...She listened to our concerns and opinions, and worked with us to find what would work best. She was empathetic and kind. She always informed us when there would be changes so we were not surprised. She answered our emails promptly...
They [nurses at Columbia University] were efficient at communicating, and always answered my questions, provided results promptly and did not keep me waiting for too long at the clinic...They work fast and efficiently. I didn't have to wait for too long at my visits. Its clean and welcoming, not too crowded. The staff are kind. They are professional and provide expert care...
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr Bishop is a patient person. She is graceful and kind. She is not going to be all over you during the treatment, but you will feel like she is walking with you through out the journey. In my case she educated me on many things I did not know and a lot of misconceptions I had about the process. I liked that she was direct with what her assessment of the problems are and we worked together to come up with a plan of action. She was there for the major procedures but always informed us if she a different doctor would see us instead of her. At this point, we are hopeful that we shall soon have a baby in our hands and we are thankful to her and her team.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Don't be afraid to tell her exactly how you feel, or what you would like. If it is possible, she will work with you for the best outcome.
I felt more like a human, because she treated us with respect and was honest with us concerning our issues. She listened to our concerns and opinions, and worked with us to find what would work best. She was empathetic and kind. She always informed us when there would be changes so we were not surprised. She answered our emails promptly.
She used the short protocol ivf . I had a Frozen embryo transfer. I had a modified natural cycle to prepare for the frozen embryo transfer
They were efficient at communicating, and always answered my questions, provided results promptly and did not keep me waiting for too long at the clinic
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Strengths: They work fast and efficiently. I didn't have to wait for too long at my visits. Its clean and welcoming, not too crowded. The staff are kind. They are professional and provide expert care. Weaknesses: I cannot think of any at the moment
I had to pay out of pocket for the embryo biopsy and pre-genetic testing, since my insurance does not pay for that
Describe Lauren Bishop's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Columbia University.
She preferred to do a single embryo transfer. She educated me on the trade offs

2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop is very thorough and detail-oriented, and everyone on the team were super professional and responsive. I was very stressed when I first learned about my diagnosis, and Dr. Bishop listened to me and suggested ways that I could gather reliable information so I don't freak out googling my symptoms online. My husband and I felt very much supported during the whole process...
Every patient at Columbia is assigned to a five person team: a nurse, a medication coordinator, a care coordinator, a financial coordinator and of course a fertility doctor. I was able to reach out or was reached out to specific person for my specific questions/needs. They are all super professional and responsive. I really like the five person team and it made me feel secure and know who to talk to if anything comes up...
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop and everyone on her team were amazing. We were so glad that we found them and decided to go through IUI with them. Dr. Bishop is very thorough and detail-oriented, and everyone on the team were super professional and responsive. I was very stressed when I first learned about my diagnosis, and Dr. Bishop listened to me and suggested ways that I could gather reliable information so I don't freak out googling my symptoms online. My husband and I felt very much supported during the whole process.
Dr. Bishop is a wonderful fertility doctor and you won't regret it to choose her!
Dr. Bishop is so patient and responsive during the whole process. We never felt rushed or left confused. She makes sure to answer all the questions that we have and she is very attentive to details. We felt our treatment was personalized and she always explains the next step and let us understand why.
I was diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation. Dr. Bishop suggested to either IUI and IVF, which both are recommended in our case and it was up to us why one we want to go with. After choosing IUI, I started to monitoring my cycle and was prescribed with 2.5mg Letrozole and 250mcg Ovidrel. I took Letrozole the second day after my period. Then it turned out that I ovulated a week late and when it was time, I did the injection (Ovidrel) at home and went in for insemination the next day. Dr. Bishop suggested to try 5mg Letrozole since it seemed I didn't respond to that for next cycle. However, we got pregnant the first round! We were thrilled.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Brand (Care coordinator) and Kristina Cudjoe (Nurse))
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Columbia is very well-organized. The protocol to assign each patient a five person team makes the treatment and care very much personalized. There are always people on call to answer any questions you may have, even on weekends! So I was never left worried or confused during the whole process. The process of scheduling morning monitoring appointment was so easy that every patient can do it on the app and there were always tons of appointments even in the early mornings, so I never had to worry about it may affect work. I never had to wait a long time. A lot of time it was in and out so the clinic was super efficient. The facility is located in a super accessible area and it was very clean and nice inside. I highly recommend Columbia Fertility!
We were lucky enough to have our insurance cover all the costs for the IUI. However, we were informed about the costs if we were to pay it ourselves. There were two week period when we didn't have insurance, we were informed about the costs before going in for any tests. So it was very transparent and we know what to expect. The financial coordinator was really helpful when it comes to insurance coverage and costs.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
At first we weren’t sure about Dr. Bishop, but over time the more we met with her the more we liked her. She isn’t necessarily the warmest doctor, but always gives very full and honest explanations of treatment plans, risks, and success rates...won’t push any options on you, so you’ll have to really think about what is the best option for you and your family.
Columbia is a great facility. The staff is kind and there is great communication. We are glad to have a designated person for each need - care coordination, nurse coordination, financial counseling, and our doctor. We feel like we have a whole team and there is always someone to help if we have questions...Trust your gut. Dr. Bishop won’t push any options on you, so you’ll have to really think about what is the best option for you and your family.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop doesn’t always come off so warm over zoom, but in person she is bubbly and friendly. She always answers questions honestly and responds to emails in a timely manner.
We had 3 clomid IUIs. I responded well to a low dose the first round and my husband had a good sample, but it failed. The second round I only produced one follicle and my husband’s sample wasn’t as strong, so that failed as well. For the third IUI we did a higher dose and I had a great response - unfortunately my husband had COVID right before the IUI and his sample was very weak so that one failed too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kristina )
I’ve only had excellent interactions with our care coordinator and nursing staff. They are friendly, positive, and always answer questions efficiently and return phone calls.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
$20 copay per visit and $150 for each IUI procedure. IVF will be covered with an additional $5400 out of pocket for embryo testing, freezing, thawing and storage.

2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop explained everything to me from the first consult. She replies with hard facts and percentages, she does not coddle or does she give false hopes or promises...very good about sticking to the facts and stats. She gave me all of my options and let me make an informed decision, even at times when I wanted her to make decisions for me. Her honesty and willingness to work with me through my hectic schedule was also much appreciated.
The Columbia University Fertility center at 5 Columbus Circle was always clean. The staff and nurses were always pleasant. Appointments were timely and I rarely waited for more than 5-10 minutes. Everyone greeted me with a smile and made me feel comfortable. Early appointments for morning monitoring were great and helped immensely due to commuting and working full time. It was a little bit annoying that pregnancy ultrasounds were not done in the morning hours because I had to take off several half days of work to get back and forth from outside of the city to upper Manhattan with heavy traffic. It also would have been helpful if procedures like egg retrieval, transfer, and IUIs could have been done on weekends, because scheduling with work and trying to privately take off so many times added to an already stressful process.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop explained everything to me from the first consult. She replies with hard facts and percentages, she does not coddle or does she give false hopes or promises. Everyone wants to hear their doctor be super confident and say “this is definitely going to work” but Dr. Bishop was very good about sticking to the facts and stats. She gave me all of my options and let me make an informed decision, even at times when I wanted her to make decisions for me. Her honesty and willingness to work with me through my hectic schedule was also much appreciated. When she was going to be out for my first transfer, she let me know ahead of time and made sure I felt comfortable in someone else’s hands. Her quick responsiveness to emails and concerns that I had throughout the process made me feel very well taken care of.
Don’t get upset if Dr. Bishop doesn’t say what you want to hear. She is very smart and thorough and is matter of fact and will not tell fluff and false promises to make you feel better.
Dr. Bishop always treated me very well. She would respond quickly, and always answer with facts. She was empathetic in stressful times and encouraging.
After my first set of diagnostic testing, we realized that I had bilateral blocked tubes. Dr. Bishop gave me options of unblocking tubes and proceeding with TTC naturally or IUI, or skipping the tubes all together and going with IVF. I wanted to try to conceive naturally and elected to have the procedure to unblock my tubes. When I did not conceive after a few months, we started IUI. I initially felt pressured to begin with treatment and so badly wanted to conceive on my own. Dr. Bishop and I came up with a plan to start with IUI x months after unsuccessfully trying on our own. I did 3 IUIs with Clomid and one with letrozole and none of them resulted in a positive pregnancy, despite having good levels and mature follicles. Dr. Bishop gave me the option to start IVF whenever I was comfortable, but I decided to continue to try with IUI. Due to still being relatively young, Dr. Bishop was supportive of my decisions and felt that they were reasonable. I desperately wanted a diagnosis and I was upset with “unexplained infertility.” I started to ask in all different ways if I had endometriosis and if this was the reason for my infertility. Dr. Bishop continuously would tell me that a firm diagnosis or ruling out of endometriosis would consist of a surgical procedure that is not necessary and would not change the treatment. Not having a diagnosis is my only complaint, but I understood that a diagnosis would not change my treatment and decided to not push the issue further. After deciding to move ahead with IVF, Dr. Bishop explained the process and was so great. I unfortunately had one failed transfer but thanks fully success on my second! Dr. Bishop was encouraging, responsive, and I always felt that I was in the best hands.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kristina and Desiree)
Kristina was my nurse and she was excellent. She always responded to me, gave me results in a timely manner, and gave me clear directions. She was empathetic, very nice, and professional. Desiree was my care coordinator and was also very organized, professional, and helpful in setting up times that worked with my hectic schedule.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
My care was very expensive. My insurance did not cover fertility treatment (paid very little even for diagnostic testing) and mostly everything was paid out of pocket. All in, including genetic pre-testing bloodwork for myself and my husband, procedure for tube opening, 4 IUIs with medication, Egg retrieval with medication, freezing and thawing of embryos, genetic testing of all embryos, and 2 implantations with pregnancy bloodwork and monitoring- my care was just over $50,000.. Again, this was not just payments made to Columbia Fertility. I think it’s important to know the full picture if your insurance does not cover fertility treatment. Dr. Bishop and the financial coordinator Patricia were very clear about what the cost of treatment would be at Columbia and estimated cost of medication and genetic testing pretty accurately.
Dr. Bishop explained that multiple embryo transfer may lead to high risk pregnancy.
2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop was super supportive and explained everything throughout the treatment. She always gave my options about what “path” I would prefer to go and after I made my decision, she would explain why said decision would work. She never pushed any treatment on me...When I had my miscarriage, I immediately reached out to her and the team. Dr. Bishop was very sympathetic about what happened and immediately came up with a plan to try to find out what happened...
The nurse, Kristina, [at Columbia University] was amazing. She was always very responsive and also very sympathetic...This clinic is very efficient. The wait time is not long at all. You don’t ever feel rushed, they just work in an efficient manner. The front desk staff is also very welcoming. The phlebotomists were great! They were very friendly...
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop has great bed side manner. She was very clear about the treatments and procedures I would be undergoing. When I had my miscarriage, I immediately reached out to her and the team. Dr. Bishop was very sympathetic about what happened and immediately came up with a plan to try to find out what happened. When she did, she treated my condition until I was cleared and ready for a second transfer. She performed my second transfer and all of my ultrasounds after. This was very comforting.
Listen to her guidance. Options presented to you come with guidance and what to expect. Dr. Bishop will never impose her choices on you.
After being evaluated, it was decided that the best treatment for my husband and I was IVF. I went through a round of hormone injections for egg retrieval. Then went through another round of hormone pills and injections to prepare for an embryo transfer. Unfortunately, my first embryo transfer resulted in a miscarriage right before my six weeks. I then was scheduled to get a biopsy which discovered that I had severe endometritis. I was given two rounds of antibiotics to make sure my uterus was ready for a second transfer. I was the scheduled for a second transfer and am now 2 mos pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kristina Cudjoe )
The nurse, Kristina, was amazing. She was always very responsive and also very sympathetic.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
The costs for the egg retrieval medication was a bit pricey. I think that the main reason was the fact that I hadn’t met my deductible yet so I carried the heavier load of the expense. Once my deductible was met, the rest of the medication was not expensive at all.
2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop was very personable and I felt like she tailored my treatment to my particular situation...Dr. Bishop did not personally perform most of my egg retrieval procedures (other doctors in the Columbia team did and I was very happy with them as well), but she made it clear she was monitoring and in charge of my care. Even after daily routine visits I always received a follow-up email explaining the results and outlining next steps. For any news (eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized, etc) she always called me in person and was very easy to get access to if I had questions.
Kristina [nurse at Columbia University] was very helpful and organized. She held a zoom tutorial when I started egg retrieval to go over medications, and she sent extremely thorough detailed instructions with links to helpful videos. I frequently returned her emails as a reference and guidance with egg retrieval medications. She was in charge of sending me regular emails to keep me updated and always did so in a timely manner (same day as check-up). I felt like I always knew what to do and when things were going to happen.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
I was extremely happy with Dr. Bishop's care. I always felt like I knew what was going on and what the next steps were, and I always felt like I knew why a course of treatment was chosen. Columbia seems to have the philosophy to not share every single test result, which I actually appreciated as it prevented anxiety or googling. They were clear to let me know that numbers were normal and they shared key targets (e.g. number of follicles, lining thickness) that was relevant for understanding treatment. Dr. Bishop did not personally perform most of my egg retrieval procedures (other doctors in the Columbia team did and I was very happy with them as well), but she made it clear she was monitoring and in charge of my care. Even after daily routine visits I always received a follow-up email explaining the results and outlining next steps. For any news (eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized, etc) she always called me in person and was very easy to get access to if I had questions. After my successful pregnancy, she also made sure to schedule my ultrasounds on days she would be there.
Dr. Bishop was very personable and I felt like she tailored my treatment to my particular situation. Her office was extremely responsive to emails and personally updated me by phone with important information.
Kristina was very helpful and organized. She held a zoom tutorial when I started egg retrieval to go over medications, and she sent extremely thorough detailed instructions with links to helpful videos. I frequently returned her emails as a reference and guidance with egg retrieval medications. She was in charge of sending me regular emails to keep me updated and always did so in a timely manner (same day as check-up). I felt like I always knew what to do and when things were going to happen.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I was very impressed with the professionalism of Columbia's clinic. It was very easy to make appointments and they always made sure to see patients in a timely fashion (average wait under 5 mins, longest wait 15 minutes). Despite being quick and efficient, I never felt rushed or like they were trying to get through care. They were also very personable and always willing to answer questions. The clinic is also visually very pleasant with good lighting, which I feel helps psychologically.
Treatment was covered by insurance, though I chose to pay OOP for my FET to save insurance coverage for future egg retrievals if necessary. I paid around $1700 for the FET.

2021, Consult
Dr. Bishop followed up with me often. Even though I had a full care team of nurses and coordinators Dr Bishop was the one the communicate any news / insights with me...She made sure to schedule me when she could personally see me and even when bloodwork results came in, she was the one to call and give me updates. I felt like she was truly invested in my case / journey....
Emma [nurse at Columbia University] was always super quick to respond to any emails (as were other team members) and for any questions I had they’d direct my emails straight to Dr. Bishop who would respond heralded...Clinic is well staffed, never felt like I was waiting a long time...Even though I had a full care team of nurses and coordinators Dr Bishop was the one the communicate any news / insights with me....
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
During routine bloodwork I didn’t see Dr. Bishop but she was there for 2 of my 3 scans. She made sure to schedule me when she could personally see me and even when bloodwork results came in, she was the one to call and give me updates. I felt like she was truly invested in my case / journey.
Tell her exactly what you want and what your concerns are. She treats you like a person and takes the time to make you feel comfortable and informed.
I was diagnosed with DOR from a previous clinic and did not respond to incredibly high doses of IVF meds and my cycle was canceled. When I went to Dr bishop and explained this and told her my husband and I only wanted one child. She immediately sought to put us on a less invasive plan. She wanted to see how I would respond to clomid and IUIs since I wasn’t aiming to bank embryos. We didn’t end up pursing IUI as I got pregnant spontaneously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Emma)
Emma was always super quick to respond to any emails (as were other team members) and for any questions I had they’d direct my emails straight to Dr. Bishop who would respond heralded.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Clinic is well staffed, never felt like I was waiting a long time. While it would have been nice to meet my care team, during COVID they’re very mindful of ensuring you’re staying safe - masked and socially distanced.
Since I only had diagnostics and scans I was charged $50 per visit as my copay

2021, Successful
[Dr. Bishop] took the time to make sure my husband and I understood all of her recommendations, and she listened to our concerns, always able to walk us through the rationale for the next steps...She took all of my concerns and my history into account at every step of the way, and I never felt like she was pushing a procedure or protocol..
[Columbia University is] Very efficient. I loved that I almost never had to wait too long for an appointment. Furthermore, I felt taken care of by an entire team of nurses and doctors at every step. When Dr. Bishop was away on maternity leave, for example, Dr. Foreman seamlessly took over my case and was also incredibly attentive, responsive, and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
From the start, Dr. Bishop was incredibly attentive, patient, and knowledgeable. She took all of my concerns and my history into account at every step of the way, and I never felt like she was pushing a procedure or protocol. In addition, given my age, she was realistic, providing odds and statistics for each step, which as a numbers person I appreciated, but she was also positive, even when after 2 cycles, I "only" had one PGT normal embryo. That one embryo resulted in my now 2 week old son!
Don't be afraid to ask questions or voice concerns. Dr. Bishop truly listens and takes what you say into account.
Dr. Bishop was incredibly patient and kind, from the start. At every step of the way, she took the time to make sure my husband and I understood all of her recommendations, and she listened to our concerns, always able to walk us through the rationale for the next steps. In addition, I never felt as if she was pushing us in a direction that we did not want to take. Our interactions really felt like a collaboration, with Dr. Bishop guiding us.