7.3

National Institutes of Health

Lauren Bishop works at

5 Columbus Circle

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Bishop was very personable and I felt like she tailored my treatment to my particular situation...Dr. Bishop did not personally perform most of my egg retrieval procedures (other doctors in the Columbia team did and I was very happy with them as well), but she made it clear she was monitoring and in charge of my care. Even after daily routine visits I always received a follow-up email explaining the results and outlining next steps. For any news (eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized, etc) she always called me in person and was very easy to get access to if I had questions.
Kristina [nurse at Columbia University] was very helpful and organized. She held a zoom tutorial when I started egg retrieval to go over medications, and she sent extremely thorough detailed instructions with links to helpful videos. I frequently returned her emails as a reference and guidance with egg retrieval medications. She was in charge of sending me regular emails to keep me updated and always did so in a timely manner (same day as check-up). I felt like I always knew what to do and when things were going to happen.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
I was extremely happy with Dr. Bishop's care. I always felt like I knew what was going on and what the next steps were, and I always felt like I knew why a course of treatment was chosen. Columbia seems to have the philosophy to not share every single test result, which I actually appreciated as it prevented anxiety or googling. They were clear to let me know that numbers were normal and they shared key targets (e.g. number of follicles, lining thickness) that was relevant for understanding treatment. Dr. Bishop did not personally perform most of my egg retrieval procedures (other doctors in the Columbia team did and I was very happy with them as well), but she made it clear she was monitoring and in charge of my care. Even after daily routine visits I always received a follow-up email explaining the results and outlining next steps. For any news (eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized, etc) she always called me in person and was very easy to get access to if I had questions. After my successful pregnancy, she also made sure to schedule my ultrasounds on days she would be there.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Dr. Bishop was very personable and I felt like she tailored my treatment to my particular situation. Her office was extremely responsive to emails and personally updated me by phone with important information.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Kristina Cudjoe)
Kristina was very helpful and organized. She held a zoom tutorial when I started egg retrieval to go over medications, and she sent extremely thorough detailed instructions with links to helpful videos. I frequently returned her emails as a reference and guidance with egg retrieval medications. She was in charge of sending me regular emails to keep me updated and always did so in a timely manner (same day as check-up). I felt like I always knew what to do and when things were going to happen.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
I was very impressed with the professionalism of Columbia's clinic. It was very easy to make appointments and they always made sure to see patients in a timely fashion (average wait under 5 mins, longest wait 15 minutes). Despite being quick and efficient, I never felt rushed or like they were trying to get through care. They were also very personable and always willing to answer questions. The clinic is also visually very pleasant with good lighting, which I feel helps psychologically.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Bishop at Columbia University.
Treatment was covered by insurance, though I chose to pay OOP for my FET to save insurance coverage for future egg retrievals if necessary. I paid around $1700 for the FET.

2021, Consult
Dr. Bishop followed up with me often. Even though I had a full care team of nurses and coordinators Dr Bishop was the one the communicate any news / insights with me...She made sure to schedule me when she could personally see me and even when bloodwork results came in, she was the one to call and give me updates. I felt like she was truly invested in my case / journey....
Emma [nurse at Columbia University] was always super quick to respond to any emails (as were other team members) and for any questions I had they’d direct my emails straight to Dr. Bishop who would respond heralded...Clinic is well staffed, never felt like I was waiting a long time...Even though I had a full care team of nurses and coordinators Dr Bishop was the one the communicate any news / insights with me....
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
During routine bloodwork I didn’t see Dr. Bishop but she was there for 2 of my 3 scans. She made sure to schedule me when she could personally see me and even when bloodwork results came in, she was the one to call and give me updates. I felt like she was truly invested in my case / journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
Tell her exactly what you want and what your concerns are. She treats you like a person and takes the time to make you feel comfortable and informed.
Describe the protocols Lauren Bishop used in your cycles at Columbia University and their degree of success.
I was diagnosed with DOR from a previous clinic and did not respond to incredibly high doses of IVF meds and my cycle was canceled. When I went to Dr bishop and explained this and told her my husband and I only wanted one child. She immediately sought to put us on a less invasive plan. She wanted to see how I would respond to clomid and IUIs since I wasn’t aiming to bank embryos. We didn’t end up pursing IUI as I got pregnant spontaneously.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Columbia University. (Assigned nurse: Emma)
Emma was always super quick to respond to any emails (as were other team members) and for any questions I had they’d direct my emails straight to Dr. Bishop who would respond heralded.
Describe your experience with Columbia University.
Clinic is well staffed, never felt like I was waiting a long time. While it would have been nice to meet my care team, during COVID they’re very mindful of ensuring you’re staying safe - masked and socially distanced.
Since I only had diagnostics and scans I was charged $50 per visit as my copay

2021, Successful
[Dr. Bishop] took the time to make sure my husband and I understood all of her recommendations, and she listened to our concerns, always able to walk us through the rationale for the next steps...She took all of my concerns and my history into account at every step of the way, and I never felt like she was pushing a procedure or protocol..
[Columbia University is] Very efficient. I loved that I almost never had to wait too long for an appointment. Furthermore, I felt taken care of by an entire team of nurses and doctors at every step. When Dr. Bishop was away on maternity leave, for example, Dr. Foreman seamlessly took over my case and was also incredibly attentive, responsive, and knowledgeable.
How was your experience with Lauren Bishop at Columbia University?
From the start, Dr. Bishop was incredibly attentive, patient, and knowledgeable. She took all of my concerns and my history into account at every step of the way, and I never felt like she was pushing a procedure or protocol. In addition, given my age, she was realistic, providing odds and statistics for each step, which as a numbers person I appreciated, but she was also positive, even when after 2 cycles, I "only" had one PGT normal embryo. That one embryo resulted in my now 2 week old son!
Don't be afraid to ask questions or voice concerns. Dr. Bishop truly listens and takes what you say into account.
Dr. Bishop was incredibly patient and kind, from the start. At every step of the way, she took the time to make sure my husband and I understood all of her recommendations, and she listened to our concerns, always able to walk us through the rationale for the next steps. In addition, I never felt as if she was pushing us in a direction that we did not want to take. Our interactions really felt like a collaboration, with Dr. Bishop guiding us.