Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Lauren Johnson to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend REACH to a friend?
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor [Dr. Lauren Johnson] very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs... she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I love doctor Johnson, she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Schedule ahead of time if you need a consultation! She's very busy!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I felt like a human in that my nurse and doctor took the time to always ask how I am, they always took the time to explain everything and make sure I understood what was happening. I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs. Also, when I had my chemical pregnancy, my nurse (who always called to relay info and make appts) basically refused to call me back to answer questions and would only answer through email as if she was afraid to interact with an emotional woman (even though I didn't act emotional) Also, the practice has switched from having doctors do monitoring ultrasounds to having PAs do it, and they are fairly cold. They don't share as much about what your ultrasound looks like as the doctors.
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Our over all strategy for treatment was to be as minimal as possible because my partner and I are not high income. We did several medicated and monitored cycles with letrozole and clomid (during different cycles) we also used an ovidrel shot for each of those. When they didn't work we moved up to IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel. Our first try did not work, nor the second. Our third was cancelled because I only developed an egg on a blocked tube, but I actually got pregnant that cycle! This time around I tried 4 medicated cycles, then we moved up to IUI with letrozole, Gonal F, and Ovidrel. The first was a fail, the second we added progesterone and a higher dose of Gonal F. It resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We took a month off after, and are planning to do one more IUI before moving on to IVF because of my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
I generally like my nurse, but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is generally very good, they are compassionate, thorough, and will keep your best interest in mind with everything they do, but they could use some changes in the financial department in how they take payment there's difficulty in getting in touch with the financial counselor and they could be more up-front with their prices.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
We were completely out of pocket with cost. A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
European, Other
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
My experience overall with Dr. Johnson has been good. I wish that she had performed all my IUI’s but only did 1 out of the 6. She was good at explaining the treatments but I really felt like she was not good at maneuvering through every Tilly treatment and that is not going according to textbook. I had polyps growing in my uterus that they were monitoring during the first 3 IUI’s and I think a lot fell through the cracks because it took 3 IUI’s to determine if the polyps were growing or not. I feel like we wasted those 3 IUI’s. She also didn’t mention anything about an injectable IUI till we had done 5 IUI’s and were discussing with her about moving forward with IVF. I feel like some things fell through the cracks because she wasn’t there performing all my IUI’s. I see now how important that was to me. I think things would have been caught and resolved a lot sooner. She is very thorough when it comes to explaining all that the fertility treatments will entail. I would t say that she’s compassionate but more to the point. Very type A personality. During one of our appointments we had to wait for 2 hours because someone misscheduled our appointment with her to discuss IVF. They kept giving us he run around for 2 hours saying that she’s almost ready for us but they were just stalling us. I feel like that was more fault on the clinic and not the Dr. but it would’ve been nice for her to offer to not have us pay for our appointment since we had to wait so long.
Do your research before going to see any RE because I feel once you know what the fertility treatments are all about then you can ask the right questions. I feel like I went in not knowing much and wish I did so that I could ask more targeted questions.
I feel like I fall somewhere in between here. I don’t feel like Dr. Johnson treated me like a number but the clinic does. The front desk staff are not friendly but I’ve had wonderful, caring nurses that took great care of me. When I first started at this clinic I thought that Dr. Johnson would perform all my fertility treatments but that was not the case. Out of the six IUI’s we did she only performed one of them.
For the first 5 IUI’s we did the following protocol: clomid (only for the 1st IUI because both my husband and I had horrible dry eyes from it — they switched me to letrozole and my husband to anastrozole. I haven’t noticed any severe symptoms on these medications.) We both came into the clinic for bloodwork and I did an internal ultrasound. I came back into the clinic 2 more times for bloodwork and internal ultrasound before the actual IUI procedure. I would take the letrozole for 5 days and then do an ovidrel injection (trigger shot) 2 days before the IUI. They would call and tell me based on my bloodwork and ultrasound when I would need to come in for the IUI. For our last fertility treatment we did an injectable IUI. It’s like a regular IUI but with more injections. We had very similar monitoring but I had to keep coming back every other day for them to monitor my follicles because they were growing a little slower. They originally said that I would have 4 injections total but did 7 total because my follicles were growing slowly. I did 6 gonal-f infections at 50mg each and one ovidrel injection. All my IUI’s were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky and Salina)
I feel the two nurses I had at REACH is what made my experience pleasant. They were caring and attentive. They cheered me on and rooted for me as we went through each IUI. They embraced me with a hug which made me feel like they truly cared about me. They were really good about providing me all the right imformation.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating especially if they find things that are wrong and not going according to their regular protocol.
IUI — $1000 Ovidrel — $100 Letrozole — $10 or under Gonal-f — $300-400
Charlotte
My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she [Dr. Lauren Johnson] educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
We have male factor infertility and she was the most caring and compassionate towards that. My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
Be open and real with Dr. Johnson. She is an extremely thoughtful and caring doctor. Trust her process and ask all the questions you can think of.
Dr. Johnson got to know my husband and me and truly wanted the best for us. She would break difficult to understand information into smaller, easier to understand parts without being condescending. I received personal phone calls from her on more than one occasion. She is very easy to talk to.
We used gonal-f and menopur. It was a slow and steady growth. The rationale was that I was healthy and ovulating well on my own, so she didn't feel the need for me to have large doses. I started low on gonal-f, and gradually increased the dosage. I had 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature and 8 fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Shana)
The nurses (Shana and Mary) were phenomenal. Anytime I had a question they would answer it as quickly as possible. They would call and give me the next steps and ensure that I was at ease with what they were telling me. Lisa- who took my blood each visit was kind and compassionate. She remembered me and had a great rapport.
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH has a fantastic nursing staff, embroyolgy dept, doctors and surgical nurses. Their front desk is lacking in warmth and their financial department is an absolute disaster. I would carefully go over each and every bill; and request bills if you do not receive them.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring was held from 7-9:30 a.m. I would show up around 7:30, sign in and would be seen quickly (about 10 minutes) for ultrasound. Then would go to have blood drawn. I was quick and efficient. Completed in under 30 minutes most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Around $13,000 with ICIS.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My Dr. saw that I was a healthy, young woman and did not want a high-risk pregnancy (twins) with me, so transferred one 5-day embryo. The rationale was the likelihood of twins from multiple embryo transfer was too great.
Charlotte
Lauren [Johnson] took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children...Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next. We ironically had a spontaneous pregnancy 4 months after our failed cycle. We were planning on tying again the following year with her recommendation for the updated protocol.
let her handle it, and trust her knowledge on getting you on the right path to your fertility needs.
Lauren took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children
I do not recall at the moment but would be happy to provide this information after contacting my clinic for the information
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Elisha)
Elisha was SO sweet and caring in every interaction.
Describe your experience with REACH.
I feel that they have doctors that can help each person to achieve their fertility goals. They have plans that can suit and change as needed per patient. I always felt like a human and not a number. They always went above and beyond to make me comfortable and explain the plans of procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
$10,000 through work compensation for IVF, and another 5-10K on top of that out of our pocket for IVF (this excludes any other treatments we saw under other doctors)
We chose two embryos for the likelihood of pregnancy after transfer as well as our ability to financially support multiples of that should happen.
Charlotte
She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments...I would like to see my doctor more. I've been to the clinic probably 20 times and seen her twice...Clomid 50mg for the first 2 IUIs. The first one I responded well with 2 follicles but only produced one good follicle with the second one. For the third IUI she upped my Clomid to 100mg days 3-7.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is excellent at communicating and making sure you understand exactly what you can expect. We felt very comfortable with the knowledge we walked away with. She wanted to make sure we start with the best choice for us given our unexplained diagnosis.
Utilize the patient portal.
She has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments.
Great staff