Carolina Conceptions

6781 Parker Farm Dr
Wilmington, NC 28405
919.782.591

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating.... I feel the two nurses I had at REACH is what made my experience pleasant. They were caring and attentive. They cheered me on and rooted for me as we went through each IUI. They embraced me with a hug which made me feel like they truly cared about me. They were really good about providing me all the right imformation.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
My experience overall with Dr. Johnson has been good. I wish that she had performed all my IUI’s but only did 1 out of the 6. She was good at explaining the treatments but I really felt like she was not good at maneuvering through every Tilly treatment and that is not going according to textbook. I had polyps growing in my uterus that they were monitoring during the first 3 IUI’s and I think a lot fell through the cracks because it took 3 IUI’s to determine if the polyps were growing or not. I feel like we wasted those 3 IUI’s. She also didn’t mention anything about an injectable IUI till we had done 5 IUI’s and were discussing with her about moving forward with IVF. I feel like some things fell through the cracks because she wasn’t there performing all my IUI’s. I see now how important that was to me. I think things would have been caught and resolved a lot sooner. She is very thorough when it comes to explaining all that the fertility treatments will entail. I would t say that she’s compassionate but more to the point. Very type A personality. During one of our appointments we had to wait for 2 hours because someone misscheduled our appointment with her to discuss IVF. They kept giving us he run around for 2 hours saying that she’s almost ready for us but they were just stalling us. I feel like that was more fault on the clinic and not the Dr. but it would’ve been nice for her to offer to not have us pay for our appointment since we had to wait so long.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Do your research before going to see any RE because I feel once you know what the fertility treatments are all about then you can ask the right questions. I feel like I went in not knowing much and wish I did so that I could ask more targeted questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I feel like I fall somewhere in between here. I don’t feel like Dr. Johnson treated me like a number but the clinic does. The front desk staff are not friendly but I’ve had wonderful, caring nurses that took great care of me. When I first started at this clinic I thought that Dr. Johnson would perform all my fertility treatments but that was not the case. Out of the six IUI’s we did she only performed one of them.
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
For the first 5 IUI’s we did the following protocol: clomid (only for the 1st IUI because both my husband and I had horrible dry eyes from it — they switched me to letrozole and my husband to anastrozole. I haven’t noticed any severe symptoms on these medications.) We both came into the clinic for bloodwork and I did an internal ultrasound. I came back into the clinic 2 more times for bloodwork and internal ultrasound before the actual IUI procedure. I would take the letrozole for 5 days and then do an ovidrel injection (trigger shot) 2 days before the IUI. They would call and tell me based on my bloodwork and ultrasound when I would need to come in for the IUI. For our last fertility treatment we did an injectable IUI. It’s like a regular IUI but with more injections. We had very similar monitoring but I had to keep coming back every other day for them to monitor my follicles because they were growing a little slower. They originally said that I would have 4 injections total but did 7 total because my follicles were growing slowly. I did 6 gonal-f infections at 50mg each and one ovidrel injection. All my IUI’s were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky and Salina)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating especially if they find things that are wrong and not going according to their regular protocol.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
IUI — $1000 Ovidrel — $100 Letrozole — $10 or under Gonal-f — $300-400
What specific things went wrong at REACH?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The biggest thing is when we had a scheduled appointment with Dr. Johnson to discuss IVF they gave us the runaround for two hours while we waited. We would ask them every 20 minutes or so and they kept telling us that she’s almost ready for us and they kept doing that for two hours. They also never told us reactions that I could have with certain medications and both my husband and I reacted negatively with Clomid.

2015 - 2018, Successful
I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor [Dr. Lauren Johnson] very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs... she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
I generally like my nurse [at REACH], but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover...A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I love doctor Johnson, she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
Schedule ahead of time if you need a consultation! She's very busy!
I felt like a human in that my nurse and doctor took the time to always ask how I am, they always took the time to explain everything and make sure I understood what was happening. I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs. Also, when I had my chemical pregnancy, my nurse (who always called to relay info and make appts) basically refused to call me back to answer questions and would only answer through email as if she was afraid to interact with an emotional woman (even though I didn't act emotional) Also, the practice has switched from having doctors do monitoring ultrasounds to having PAs do it, and they are fairly cold. They don't share as much about what your ultrasound looks like as the doctors.
Our over all strategy for treatment was to be as minimal as possible because my partner and I are not high income. We did several medicated and monitored cycles with letrozole and clomid (during different cycles) we also used an ovidrel shot for each of those. When they didn't work we moved up to IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel. Our first try did not work, nor the second. Our third was cancelled because I only developed an egg on a blocked tube, but I actually got pregnant that cycle! This time around I tried 4 medicated cycles, then we moved up to IUI with letrozole, Gonal F, and Ovidrel. The first was a fail, the second we added progesterone and a higher dose of Gonal F. It resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We took a month off after, and are planning to do one more IUI before moving on to IVF because of my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
I generally like my nurse, but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is generally very good, they are compassionate, thorough, and will keep your best interest in mind with everything they do, but they could use some changes in the financial department in how they take payment there's difficulty in getting in touch with the financial counselor and they could be more up-front with their prices.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
We were completely out of pocket with cost. A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
What specific things went wrong at REACH?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My doctor would change protocol without discussing it first. Medicated cycles are significantly cheaper than IUI, and we would have liked more warning about needing to scratch together payment.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I have always been treated with respect and Dr Johnson made sure that we had a good level of understanding. I never felt that she was rushed in our interactions....Dr Johnson is very professional and caring. She helped me feel at ease with the plan we decided on. I felt very confident with her clinical decision-making, and in fact we did not have any issues until other providers in the practice were involved in the most critical stages of the process.
Overall the clinic staff [REACH] that I interacted with were professional and caring. I was disappointed in key decisions that were made during my ivf cycle, and the lack of responsibility from a clinic leadership perspective after the fact.... The nursing team is wonderful — a very caring and compassionate group. I was always able to communicate with the nursing staff and receive replies back within a very reasonable time frame.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Discuss the need for potential contingency plans in the event unexpected situations arise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall the clinic staff that I interacted with were professional and caring. I was disappointed in key decisions that were made during my ivf cycle, and the lack of responsibility from a clinic leadership perspective after the fact.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
I felt Dr Johnson sufficiently discussed the pros and cons of both options.