Carolina Conceptions

Wilmington
6781 Parker Farm Dr
Wilmington, NC 28405

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Lauren Johnson and her team always treat you like you are their only patient... She is very thorough with her appointments and you never feel rushed in/out when seeing her...She has been through infertility herself...Originally we went in for unexplained infertility and was also diagnosed with PCOS...She explained everything, even drew us pictures to make it make sense. She answers all our questions no matter how crazy and redundant...
They [REACH] are very prompt with getting you in as soon as possible, they have financial counselors that talk to you say one and give you options. Anyone that has contact with you always introduces themselves and gives you a detailed explanation of what they can do for you or will be doing...For each IUI cycle we paid around $1800 including oral prescriptions, shots, ultrasounds, bloodwork, the semen deposit and cleaning and the procedure itself.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Lauren Johnson is a compassionate, driven, highly educated lady with a lot of experience. She has been through infertility herself. She is very thorough with her appointments and you never feel rushed in/out when seeing her. I would not recommend anyone else!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Don’t hesitate to make an appointment even if it’s just for a consultation with her! You will not be let down! We went in thinking there would be no way we could afford it or even do anything other than meet with her, I was overwhelmed before going and then we got there and she has a calm nature about her. She explained everything, even drew us pictures to make it make sense. She answers all our questions no matter how crazy and redundant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson and her team always treat you like you are their only patient. She is caring, honest, plans out your treatments step by step and even tells you about the what if situations and what’s next if plan A doesn’t work. After our first miscarriage they treated us like family... with support, love and open arms.
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Originally we went in for unexplained infertility and was also diagnosed with PCOS. She ran a very detailed bloodwork panel analyzing hormones, blood count, egg quality and count, numerous things as well as doing STD screenings on both of us and sperm analysis on my husband. We also had the option to do a test to check for abnormalities that may cause issues with a fetus long term prior to starting. Dr. Johnson goes through a detailed history of your medical history as well as your lifestyle and healthy changes you may need to partake in. After we go through that initial stuff she told us we would try an IUI first since my husband and I didn’t seem to have anything wrong other than me not ovulating on my own, he has a child so we shouldn’t have a problem on his side. We started the cycle by using progesterone to start my period followed up with a ultrasound and bloodwork to check my levels and to make sure I’m ready to start with the medicine to help me ovulate. (I had previously tried Clomid with my OBGYN with no success.) We started with Femara one pill a day for 5 days starting on cycle day 3-7. I did not respond and produce any mature follicles (I did have 25 cyst in one ovary and around 30 in the other) so we piggybacked and tripled up on Femara for the next 5 days with no luck and with one more piggy back we went back to Clomid and we had one mature follicle. After you confirm a mature follicle and bloodwork looked good we had to have do am Ovedril shot to help push the follicle out of the ovary and then have intercourse that night between 6-8. The next day we both had to go to the office for bloodwork (me) to check to make sure levels looked good as far at uterus lining and ovulation has or is currently taking place, my husband had to do a sperm deposit to be cleaned up and ready for use if I cleared with my bloodwork. They called us back in a few hours to report back at 11:45 and we had the IUI procedure. They walked us through it as it was our first one and explained everything in detail. The. You go on the dreaded two week wait to find out if you’re pregnant. In that time you still take your prenatal meds, any vitamins they put you on based on bloodwork and progesterone vaginal suppositories to help prevent first trimester miscarriage. We did become pregnant with a little girl with Dr. Johnson’s help then we were released from REACH at 10 weeks, however after being with my OBGYN We lost our little girl at 17 weeks and have currently been in for more IUI with maturing follicles in the first try with medication but no successful pregnancies yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky )
Becky is Dr. Johnson’s right hand lady! She greets you with a warm welcome and he always treated me as if I was her daughter coming in. I get hugs, she calls me back promptly and always comforts me and understands the struggles that come along with this. She always offers to be there for me in any way she can to help. She says she’s just one call away! She makes this place amazing!
Describe your experience with REACH.
They are very prompt with getting you in as soon as possible, they have financial counselors that talk to you say one and give you options. Anyone that has contact with you always introduces themselves and gives you a detailed explanation of what they can do for you or will be doing. Weaknesses - none for clinic just the travel time for me being 45 mins away and getting to work can be hard for morning bloodwork and ultrasound checks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Not applicable to us

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
L. Johnson is very is very knowledgeable. She reviewed all of my lab results and why she chose initial plan of treatment. She also brought me back in to talk about next steps after cycle failed...stimulation involved gonal F 450, land low dose HCG, then added cetrotide , then lupron trigger. Had to stimulate an extra day due to follicles on one side not growing as big. Then progesterone in oil prior to transfer. 4 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 2 fertilized via ISCI. 1 embryo arrested on day one. 2nd embryo slow to develop and arrested on day 6. Transfer cancelled.
I could always get in touch with a nurse [at REACH] or at least a call back. I could always get an appointment pretty quickly even after failed cycle...I would really like to compare their lab to other facilities. I've seen a lot of reviews where people say they had for example, 13 eggs retrieved but cycle cancelled because none survived, however went to different clinic and almost all survived...1 ivf cycle was $12,295 plus about $5,500 for medications...
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
L. Johnson is very is very knowledgeable. She reviewed all of my lab results and why she chose initial plan of treatment. She also brought me back in to talk about next steps after cycle failed. I don't know why L. Johnson has a lower score. As a doctor she was great.
Ask questions if you don't understand
The staff were very kind and took their time to explain the process to me. I could always get in touch with a nurse or at least a call back. I could always get an appointment pretty quickly even after failed cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Nursing team was very helpful and always responded in timely manner. I had no issues with nursing team.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Financial team was bit of a hassle. It was hard getting someone on the phone. I was quoted a discount price for military veteran, however when looking over previous quoted price from year or two prior, it was the same price I was quoted before without the military discount. I would really like to compare their lab to other facilities. I've seen a lot of reviews where people say they had for example, 13 eggs retrieved but cycle cancelled because none survived, however went to different clinic and almost all survived.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
1 ivf cycle was $12,295 plus about $5,500 for medications. Had to order an additional gonal F pen because ran out with unforeseen additional stimulation day added
after failed cycle, I was told to try vitamin supplements and testosterone cream to help with egg quality due to being at advanced age I wish this was suggested prior to first cycle to see if it would have made a difference.
Charlotte

She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.... She took the time to answer ALL my questions (and I ask a lot of them!). She was willing to make a specialized plan based on our personal goals and beliefs.... We tried several IUIs and none of them resulted in pregnancy, but she was open to whatever we wanted to try- IUI or IVF.
Strengths- Patient Portal Weaknesses-Their billing department is the biggest rain wreck I have ever seen. I have repeatedly been double-billed, billed for the difference between the total charges and the allowed amount by my insurance (pretty sure this is illegal?) and billed for things I do not really owe. Once, I count as a mistake. Repeated offenses start to feel like they are trying to take advantage of you. Their billing mess has repeatedly made me want to leave the practice, but they have an office close to my home so we have stayed with them.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.
She is one of the more balanced providers at REACH, meaning not too blunt, but not too soft in her approach.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
One who does the callbacks always sounds breathless and rushed. Which I am sure she is in a hurry, but the questions I am asking and the things we are discussing are literally life-changing for me, so I have been disappointed that she always tries to just be rushing to get off the phone with me.
IUI is 1,026. Plus meds.
We have not done IVF yet (we will in a few months), but she said we will do a single embryo transfer for the first 2 attempts.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Like I said before, the billing department is horrible.
Charlotte

My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she [Dr. Lauren Johnson] educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
REACH has a fantastic nursing staff, embroyolgy dept, doctors and surgical nurses. Their front desk is lacking in warmth and their financial department is an absolute disaster. I would carefully go over each and every bill; and request bills if you do not receive them.... The nurses (Shana and Mary) were phenomenal. Anytime I had a question they would answer it as quickly as possible. They would call and give me the next steps and ensure that I was at ease with what they were telling me. Lisa- who took my blood each visit was kind and compassionate. She remembered me and had a great rapport.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
We have male factor infertility and she was the most caring and compassionate towards that. My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
Be open and real with Dr. Johnson. She is an extremely thoughtful and caring doctor. Trust her process and ask all the questions you can think of.
Dr. Johnson got to know my husband and me and truly wanted the best for us. She would break difficult to understand information into smaller, easier to understand parts without being condescending. I received personal phone calls from her on more than one occasion. She is very easy to talk to.
We used gonal-f and menopur. It was a slow and steady growth. The rationale was that I was healthy and ovulating well on my own, so she didn't feel the need for me to have large doses. I started low on gonal-f, and gradually increased the dosage. I had 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature and 8 fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Shana)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring was held from 7-9:30 a.m. I would show up around 7:30, sign in and would be seen quickly (about 10 minutes) for ultrasound. Then would go to have blood drawn. I was quick and efficient. Completed in under 30 minutes most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Around $13,000 with ICIS.
My Dr. saw that I was a healthy, young woman and did not want a high-risk pregnancy (twins) with me, so transferred one 5-day embryo. The rationale was the likelihood of twins from multiple embryo transfer was too great.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During our finance meeting we were told that we did not have insurance coverage for IVF and that we would pay upfront for service. We were told that our insurance would not be billed. About one month after our cycle, I noticed that I was receiving EOBs that showed my insurance was billed and actually paid for a number of things at REACH. I contacted REACH for an itemized bill and was told that I had a balance of over $2,000. I spoke with my insurance AND was informed that REACH billed insurance and received payment. It took REACH over 4 months to return money to my insurance company and I was still threatened to be sent to collections over a billing error on their part.

2015, Successful
Lauren [Johnson] took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children...Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next.
I feel that they [REACH] have doctors that can help each person to achieve their fertility goals. They have plans that can suit and change as needed per patient. I always felt like a human and not a number. They always went above and beyond to make me comfortable and explain the plans of procedure....Elisha was SO sweet and caring in every interaction....Lauren [Johnson] took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next. We ironically had a spontaneous pregnancy 4 months after our failed cycle. We were planning on tying again the following year with her recommendation for the updated protocol.
let her handle it, and trust her knowledge on getting you on the right path to your fertility needs.
Lauren took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children
I do not recall at the moment but would be happy to provide this information after contacting my clinic for the information
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Elisha)
Elisha was SO sweet and caring in every interaction.
Describe your experience with REACH.
I feel that they have doctors that can help each person to achieve their fertility goals. They have plans that can suit and change as needed per patient. I always felt like a human and not a number. They always went above and beyond to make me comfortable and explain the plans of procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
$10,000 through work compensation for IVF, and another 5-10K on top of that out of our pocket for IVF (this excludes any other treatments we saw under other doctors)
We chose two embryos for the likelihood of pregnancy after transfer as well as our ability to financially support multiples of that should happen.

2015 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I always felt informed [by Dr. Lauren Johnson] and understood what my next step would be. Dr. Johnson was very kind and was able to give me hope and explain what my challenges were and how we were going to go about it. Although I wish I was able to see her more at the appointments, the portal was a great way I was able to check message and ask questions...She has wonderful beside manor. She explained the procedures and what could or might not happen.
The strengths [at REACH] are they know what they are doing, they really have the knowledge and know what’s best for each person’s different story. The weakness is their billing department. Lots of confusion and miscommunication on charges...She [Dr. Johnson] has wonderful beside manor. She explained the procedures and what could or might not happen. Her team called me and updated me on test results and were always available to answer questions.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I always felt informed and understood what my next step would be. Dr. Johnson was very kind and was able to give me hope and explain what my challenges were and how we were going to go about it. Although I wish I was able to see her more at the appointments, the portal was a great way I was able to check message and ask questions.
Take notes and come with questions ahead of time
She has wonderful beside manor. She explained the procedures and what could or might not happen. Her team called me and updated me on test results and were always available to answer questions.
She started with iui. The first one worked and I had my son in 2016. 6 months after his birth we did an IUI again and had a chemical pregnancy. Then 5 more iui’s that failed. I went on to get pregnant natural and it was ectopic. Dr. Johnson performed the surgery to remove the tube. I tried ivf with another doctor due to cost. Then after that fail went back to reach for embryo adoption.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Harrell)
Everyone was wonderful. So friendly and caring, passionate and helped me feel better about my losses.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The strengths are they know what they are doing, they really have the knowledge and know what’s best for each person’s different story. The weakness is their billing department. Lots of confusion and miscommunication on charges.
$6,000 for embryo adoption, $2,500 for 2nd transfer. $4,000 for iui
She said due to my age and health, I would only have one transfer at a time.
Charlotte
Dr. Johnson is exactly the type of doctor I needed. She is warm, empathetic and answered all my questions and worries thoroughly and never acted like she was in a rush...extremely smart and up to date on the latest studies etc. I felt like my care was tailored to my situation...makes sure I understand what the plan and outlook are...her nurses are very responsive and helpful over the patient portal.
They [REACH] were able to schedule a first appointment very quickly...Front desk and nurses are very friendly...billing is handled by a 3rd party company so sometimes you receive delayed bills which don’t reflect your actual balance, but the financial counselors were always able to confirm my actual balance...When there was a delay in my medication shipment, they offered me a one day sample of gonal F which was very helpful during an extremely stressful situation.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson is exactly the type of doctor I needed. She is warm, empathetic and answered all my questions and worries thoroughly and never acted like she was in a rush. She is extremely smart and up to date on the latest studies etc. I felt like my care was tailored to my situation.
Even if you forget to ask a question during the visit, her nurses are very responsive and helpful over the patient portal.
Seeing Dr. Johnson was wonderful compared to my last doctor. She is really warm and takes time to answer all questions and makes sure I understand what the plan and outlook are.
Used gonal f and low dose hcg prior to egg retrieval. Triggered with lupron. Then post transfer was PIO and 3x/daily estradiol pills.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
Very responsive and helpful. When there was a delay in my medication shipment, they offered me a one day sample of gonal F which was very helpful during an extremely stressful situation.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They were able to schedule a first appointment very quickly as opposed to other practices in the area. Front desk and nurses are very friendly. Their billing is handled by a 3rd party company so sometimes you receive delayed bills which don’t reflect your actual balance, but the financial counselors were always able to confirm my actual balance.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring was usually very quick and efficient. I appreciated the 3 hour window they offered which gave me flexibility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
$6,000 in medication, $5,000-6,000 for care through the clinic. Partially covered by insurance.
Charlotte

Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness...Great care and excellent experience. Explained treatment options and course of action. Very patient and I never felt rushed. Dr. Johnson took her time and was always aware of my feelings and needs. I would recommend Dr. Lauren Johnson to others. She is a respectable doctor...is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
The nursing staff at REACH are available through a patient portal. They always respond within a timely manner. The nurses go out of their way to give the patients excellent care...I had an embryo transfer scheduled on a Friday and the week before the transfer, REACH called me to tell me they would be closed because it was a holiday. Therefore, I had to take a weeks worth of extra medication to keep my body ready for the transfer...Strengths- Nursing staff, Doctor knowledge, patient care Weakness- Payment options, financial planning As a new patient, you need to be ready for a long a committed process. Everyone's timeline is different and you just have to trust the doctor's and the process.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness.
5 IUIs 5 embryo transfers 1 laparoscopy 3 hysteroscopies Outcome- currently 27 weeks pregnant with a baby boy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Insurance covered part and out of pocket was around $50,000.
We decided together the best choice.
Charlotte

Dr Johnson has always taken the time to sit with us and go through each part of our diagnosis process. she takes the time to answer each question we have to the best of her ability and never rushes us though our appointments. she has always been very honest about outcomes and treatment options, even if it’s not what we want to hear ... Dr Johnson takes the time to really listen to mine and my partners wants and needs. she never makes me feel like I am one of a bunch of patients, she makes us feel like in the time we’re with her, she is 100% committed to us
We have seen 2 RNs while we have been at REACH and they both treated us with compassion and we felt like they were more so people we were getting to know and not just our doctors nurses ... Everything about the clinic has been great. the one thing I do have to say is that I have gotten double billed for services and with something that is as pricy and sensitive as fertility treatments, it’s just a minor flaw that can easily be handled by the finance department
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
If it is important to you to have a Dr that treats you like more then just another patient, Dr Johnson is your Dr
Charlotte
She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments...I would like to see my doctor more. I've been to the clinic probably 20 times and seen her twice...Clomid 50mg for the first 2 IUIs. The first one I responded well with 2 follicles but only produced one good follicle with the second one. For the third IUI she upped my Clomid to 100mg days 3-7.
I would like to see my doctor [at REACH Charlotte] more. I've been to the clinic probably 20 times and seen her twice...$750 per session of iui...Utilize the patient portal...Clomid 50mg for the first 2 IUIs. The first one I responded well with 2 follicles but only produced one good follicle with the second one. For the third IUI she upped my Clomid to 100mg days 3-7.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is excellent at communicating and making sure you understand exactly what you can expect. We felt very comfortable with the knowledge we walked away with. She wanted to make sure we start with the best choice for us given our unexplained diagnosis.
Utilize the patient portal.
She has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments.
Great staff
$750 per session of iui
Na
Charlotte

Dr Johnson never made me feel rushed. She was honest but positive, candid but kind. She was extremely patient and overall wonderful...has done research specifically for my case, and changed treatment courses when things weren't working...[she] only wanted to transfer one for my first two transfers. Especially as I'm very small framed. After two failures, she let us elect to choose to transfer more if we wished.
Some of the nurses [at REACH] aren't my favorite. But there are a couple I absolutely adore. My nursing team feels like family. They all know me by name and genuinely care for me...I have done one egg retrieval and 5 transfer cycles. Two were cancelled. On both the cancelled cycles, Dr. Johnson adjusted the protocol and found a new thing to try...Overall ive only had one miscommunication. I was sent some inaccurate paperwork.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is an amazing doctor. She has done research specifically for my case, and changed treatment courses when things weren't working. I have no bad things to say about her. She even remembers things I tell her unrelated to treatment, and will chat with me during procedures! I can tell she truly cares about me
Be prepared to ask lots of questions!
I have done one egg retrieval and 5 transfer cycles. Two were cancelled. On both the cancelled cycles, Dr. Johnson adjusted the protocol and found a new thing to try. We are still getting it right, but we are getting closer and closer. She has also performed numerous testing on me, including a hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH.
Some of the nurses aren't my favorite. But there are a couple I absolutely adore. My nursing team feels like family. They all know me by name and genuinely care for me.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is great. The financial part sucks. They are bad communicators and often rude or insensitive. I dislike my financial coordinator. Everyone else is amazing. I'm friendly with the receptionists and phlebotomists.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Expensive. I think total cost so far is in the 40k area. Insurance covered a fair portion.
Dr. Johnson only wanted to transfer one for my first two transfers. Especially as I'm very small framed. After two failures, she let us elect to choose to transfer more if we wished.